ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Softball

Is there optimism building or is it the expecting a .220 hitter 'develop' into a .300 hitter type of optimism?

I a big believer in Coach Schuamnn and his hitting philosophy. The proof is there at every level he's been.

It's just gonna boil down to the circle like every other year. We have to have a couple pitchers step up.

Everything I'm hearing is positive signs but results will tell the true story.

On a personal note I do want to let everyone know that we are very lucky to have someone of Coach Looper and her entire staffs character molding these young women into the type of people we can proud of.

If anyone just watched the Art Briles interview on game day you'll understand the difference. Do we need to start winning and finish in the upper part of the B1G? ABSOLUTELY.

One of the biggest selling points for me letting my daughter go to Iowa was Loopers and her staffs character and I have not been disappointed one bit. She's exactly what we need in the coaching profession.

She's a very high character human being. The rest will sort itself out one way or another & I'm obviously hoping she turns this around.

I will try to answer any questions you have.

Just curious, if I'm remembering right we graduated 5 seniors and welcome in 8 new players, are any underclassmen not returning, or are we going with a bigger roster (or maybe things will shake out between now and next season)? I know Gyermann has decided not to return.

Just curious, if I'm remembering right we graduated 5 seniors and welcome in 8 new players, are any underclassmen not returning, or are we going with a bigger roster (or maybe things will shake out between now and next season)? I know Gyermann has decided not to return.
Gyermann and Kara Misel are gone. Everyone else appears on the 2017 roster.

I a big believer in Coach Schuamnn and his hitting philosophy. The proof is there at every level he's been.

It's just gonna boil down to the circle like every other year. We have to have a couple pitchers step up.

Everything I'm hearing is positive signs but results will tell the true story.

On a personal note I do want to let everyone know that we are very lucky to have someone of Coach Looper and her entire staffs character molding these young women into the type of people we can proud of.

If anyone just watched the Art Briles interview on game day you'll understand the difference. Do we need to start winning and finish in the upper part of the B1G? ABSOLUTELY.

One of the biggest selling points for me letting my daughter go to Iowa was Loopers and her staffs character and I have not been disappointed one bit. She's exactly what we need in the coaching profession.

She's a very high character human being. The rest will sort itself out one way or another & I'm obviously hoping she turns this around.

I will try to answer any questions you have.
Heard anything about where the tournaments are this year?

They play tonight? Normally there are Twitter updates during Fall Ball games, but not tonight.

Went to the scrimmage last night. Left after 7 innings.Going to be an incredibly long spring. 2 freshman pitchers look to have some potential. If we played Kirkwood 10 x's, they would win more than half. Equal pitching and better hitters. Hawks are in better condition, at least.

Not impressed by the Kirkwood coach's decision to argue a call. He was wrong and decided to double down by attempting to embarrass the umpire. Not going to make many friends that way. Maybe he is satisfied where he is.

Curious to know what others may think.

I think cranker's daughter got to hit.

Ya my daughter was cleared to only hit. Got a couple ABs in so that was nice to hear. She wasn't very happy with herself when I talked to her, lol. Said she hit a weak liner to SS and walked.

Wasn't at the game so I can't comment on what happened.

What did you notice Bum?

The game was streamed on Kirkwood's twitter account. We watched it this morning. It was a little difficult to see who the players were, but what stood out to me was a couple running errors on Iowa's part. Glad to hear your daughter's getting cleared to hit, Cranker!

Reactions: crankermo
Thanks Synergy. She did say their pitcher was extremely slow but as a hitter you have to make adjustments pitch to pitch, no excuses

Hi cranker.

What would you specifically want to know?

Right now, Iowa has about 3 players that would see any time at another Big 10 team. Allie Wood is solid. So is Mullarkey. I think Kilian has potential to be a player. Claire Fritsch is dependable in the field but has no bat. Taylor has a ways to go although she seems to be swinging better this year. I like #2 and her fire. She's a freshman infielder. You've mentioned Monteer as being a player. She has to get MUCH stronger. Schmeiderer is not a quality catcher. Cheyenne Pratt is Cheyenne Pratt

Team has a couple of strutters that need to play softball instead of thinking how good they look in their uniform.

Havyn is plenty strong believe me. She's been slapping for 2yrs she is naturally a RH.

I just wanted your opinion of what you saw. I won't make it to anything this fall so I wanted an objective opinion.

Havyn is plenty strong believe me. She's been slapping for 2yrs she is naturally a RH.

I just wanted your opinion of what you saw. I won't make it to anything this fall so I wanted an objective opinion.
Will Looper recruit the state of Iowa and the St Louis metro area? I think this is a must for Iowa to break through.

I honestly think she is just needs to get kids to visit but it's also hard to get them to visit without winning.

Like I said earlier when my daughter committed Iowa was considered a bigtime up and coming program and Looper was a rising star in the coaching ranks.

Since then it hasn't been pretty but if you want things to change sometimes you have to just have to believe and take a leap of a faith.

People have a right to be upset that's why they're called fans. I completely understand. I'm sure as hell not happy finishing in the bottom of the B1G and I'm sure as hell not happy losing to a JUCO but it doesn't change my hopes for this program.

Crankermo, Congrats on your daughters hit! Glad she is started getting cleared to play. I think Iowa will need all hands on deck this year. Losing to Kirkwood is sad. They are a solid team one of the best in juco but its like Iowa football losing to NDST just should not happen. Future is not bright when Looper lets so much talent get away. Fiser pitched for Minnesota last night and beat NDST in her first start. Would have been nice to see her in a Hawk uni. Linderman also played for Minn so the point is unless things change in recruiting the state i feel we are never going very high. I hope i am wrong but the past history is showing us I am not. I really do wish your daughter the best of luck and I am always a Hawkeye fan.. I want them to win too.

Drmac thanks for the kind words about my daughter. I understand where you are coming from. Just have to get things going

Last edited:
Last fall, I was volunteering at a softball tournament at the Iowa softball complex. All the Iowa Division 1 coaches attended. Coach Looper walked through the crowd and nobody seemed to even notice. I remember when Coach Blevins showed up for like events, people would flock to talk to her. People recognized Coach Looper, they just didn't care. No whispers, no excitement, nada.

Reactions: 73chief
Iowa Softball is dead to me until Marla Looper is no longer the coach and Gary Barta actually makes winning a priority instead of making it part of a snappy, yet childish slogan.

I will be rooting for cranker's daughter to have a good season, but her personal success is as far as my interest goes anymore

Last edited:
Reactions: SynergyHawk12
Another example of the sad state of Iowa softball...no PR..barely any social media presence. Kirkwood (Kirkwood!!) had live stream of last week's game. Iowa - not even Facebook/Twitter updates. Not even Hawkeyesports updated - though maybe they are too embarrassed to post the score.

Last night UNI had Twitter updates throughout the game. Iowa: nothing.

Besides having a terrible product on the field, there is no quicker way to lose fans than bad PR / Marketing.

What/how do you market this?
Agreed. I guess 'Marketing' isn't what I mean. I meant they make it hard for a fan to follow them.
Another example, media coverage for a handful of games last year was a link to audio OR a link to video. They can't figure out how to let a fan get both audio and video? A joke..

They need to have someone stream the game on periscope like Kirkwood does. We did this for my daughters HighSchool team. Worked well for anyone not able to attend the game. Wish Iowa would do this for their games. On a personal side note, my Daughter got a Scholarship offer from St Cloud State and has verbally committed to attend and play there! Very Proud of her hard work to get to play in college next fall!

I would have expected Drake to keep their starting Number one in against a Big Ten opponent. Drake will have another great pitcher coming in next year with Nicole Timmons from Davenport Assumption coming. Sad Iowa Missed on her as well. She is a terrific pitcher!

And Thank you all for the kind words for my Daughter. I am very excited for her..

Reactions: Wadukester
Can someone explain the format of the B&G scrimmage Friday night? Were some of those girls walk-ons or tryout players?

I watched 4 innings and it was clear they are not going to be very good - again.

Just a few of the mistakes I remember off the top of my head:

Dropped fly ball to RF who proceeded to over throw the cutoff
Dropped thrown ball at 1B on a routine ground ball
Back to back base running mistakes made by a girl on 1B - the second of which lead to a DP
A 5 pitch strike out - batter did not make an attempt to swing
Multiple other overthrown cut offs
Overthrow to 1B which resulted in a slap hit (s/b out) turning into a run scored
1 well hit ball in 20-25 at bats

It was embarrassing. I am not sure how to correct these types of mistakes. There didn't seem to be any repercussions or coaching going on. Of course, I'm not sure how you tell your 1B to "catch" the ball.....lots of free bases and unearned runs due to sloppy defensive play.

Even if these girls aren't top recruits, I wouldn't expect to see 90% of the errors that were made Friday night - These girls have played a lot of SB and should have a better understanding of how important execution is.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT