ADVERTISEMENT

2020 PG Bowen Born - Should Iowa offer?

Im friends with Borne and his family. I am not sure what Iowa is doing. He is clearly a mid major player. He would be great at UNI or a school like that. There is a reason he is not getting a ton of offers. He is only about 5'9. I don't care what they have him listed at. He is 4 inches away from being a player in a major conference.

Im friends with Borne and his family. I am not sure what Iowa is doing. He is clearly a mid major player. He would be great at UNI or a school like that. There is a reason he is not getting a ton of offers. He is only about 5'9. I don't care what they have him listed at. He is 4 inches away from being a player in a major conference.
And you spelled his name wrong? Right...

Yes, but with the afro he’s 6’9”.

and your point? I accidently put the E on the end. So sue me. Bottom line is I know Mike and Bowen. Bowen goes to school with my kids, I know his girlfriend also. So if you think spelling it and being off by one letter means anything. That's fine.

I know exactly what Iowa is doing - THEIR JOB! Evaluating a player to determine if all his positive attributes outweigh the one negative at the high-major level his height.....Your opinion doesn't matter on Bowen's just like my opinion doesn't matter. The only opinions that matter is Coach Fran and the staff's and then if an offer is extended Bowen and his family's.

and your point? I accidently put the E on the end. So sue me. Bottom line is I know Mike and Bowen. Bowen goes to school with my kids, I know his girlfriend also. So if you think spelling it and being off by one letter means anything. That's fine.
Please send Mike my regards. And let him know what you said about his son when you speak with him.

Yes, but with the afro he’s 6’9”.

eNWoM5n.jpg

Count me in the camp of being very impressed with his junior year highlight video (acknowledging you can only pick up so much from a highlight video). Appeared to extremely quick, athletic, hops (anybody that can dunk at 5'9-5'11 really has hops I'd say), handles, court vision, and passing.

I just happened to come across a tweet where he's pictured with his family. His mom appears to be decent height and not that much shorter than him (5'5 - 5/6 ish maybe, hard to tell from photo???). He could very well be one of those guys who grows a few inches 18-20 years of age.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he came as a preferred walk on, redshirt first year, or as a secondary option if higher recruiting targets don't sign with IA. He looks pretty darn good to me.

Reactions: jasonrann

Seriously— claiming friendship and you can’t spell his name right? That screams ‘close friend’ to me.

Count me in the camp of being very impressed with his junior year highlight video (acknowledging you can only pick up so much from a highlight video). Appeared to extremely quick, athletic, hops (anybody that can dunk at 5'9-5'11 really has hops I'd say), handles, court vision, and passing.

I just happened to come across a tweet where he's pictured with his family. His mom appears to be decent height and not that much shorter than him (5'5 - 5/6 ish maybe, hard to tell from photo???). He could very well be one of those guys who grows a few inches 18-20 years of age.

I wouldn't be disappointed if he came as a preferred walk on, redshirt first year, or as a secondary option if higher recruiting targets don't sign with IA. He looks pretty darn good to me.

No way he walks on, he will have plenty of offers.

Reactions: skydog0784
Really? 15ppg, 3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and shooting 41% from the floor. I would say he is pretty damn good.

Wow did not realize he had those numbers. I only caught a couple games and he couldn't throw it in the ocean and they talked about his shooting slump. Apparently I did not watch enough of UNI hoops.

Wow did not realize he had those numbers. I only caught a couple games and he couldn't throw it in the ocean and they talked about his shooting slump. Apparently I did not watch enough of UNI hoops.

He looked very good the times I saw him play

Seriously— claiming friendship and you can’t spell his name right? That screams ‘close friend’ to me.

Well I was hanging with his family last week and they live about a block from me. I coached Bowen’s girlfriend in soccer also. But whatever

Well I was hanging with his family last week and they live about a block from me. I coached Bowen’s girlfriend in soccer also. But whatever
Does he know you're talking smack about his kid on an Iowa site? You might want to lay low for a while as this is out there now for him to see...

Friend of the family? The old adage “with friends like you who needs enemies”certainly applies. A true friend would not be on the Hawkeyereport board saying what you have. You may very well be spot on and no problem having your opinion but a true friend wouldn’t be spreading this opinion around on message boards.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Ran into a friend that follows metro area BBall fairly close with a good BBall playing and coaching background.

He thinks that BB can play at the Big Ten level, although on the "very small" side. Also said BB has had more interest than at least I'd heard but most was on the "waiting on AAU play" before offering.

FWIW category.

Ran into a friend that follows metro area BBall fairly close with a good BBall playing and coaching background.

He thinks that BB can play at the Big Ten level, although on the "very small" side. Also said BB has had more interest than at least I'd heard but most was on the "waiting on AAU play" before offering.

FWIW category.

Thanks for the update. If Fran is gonna offer him, I hope he doesn't dick around for too long about it.

Kind of weird to watch the football team rack up commitments in June while the basketball team has done zip.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Interesting comments from Bowen Born about Iowa in this Hawk Central article yesterday. Nothing earth-shaking, but it pretty much confirms recent reports that there's a growing mutual interest between Born and Iowa. He'll make his decision before his senior season starts, but he'd like to wrap things up sooner if possible.

On his two unofficial visits in June:

"Both times I’ve felt like I played really well," Born said. "With the feedback I’ve gotten, obviously things have grown (with Iowa) a lot since the end of my junior year — and then especially within these past two weeks. Things have really grown and you can just feel the interest pick up. Obviously, that’s another school that I’m considering.

"I felt like I’ve fit in really well with the guys and was able to play pretty good up there. Obviously, it’s open gym so you don’t want to read too much into it. But, at the same time, I feel like it was beneficial to me to see that I can play at this level.

"I would go back and play every day if I could — just to get better."
Matt Bain notes that coach Speraw actually invited Born back for a second visit after the first and suggests that Born's performance in the pickup games might have been a factor. The fact that the second visit was Iowa's idea indicates that they really like Born's game.

From the sound of things, Born is very interested in a chance to play at the power conference level (not much of a surprise), and he's impressed with the quality of Iowa's players. It's a good sign that he liked playing with them and thinks he fits in well with the team.

Later, Bain writes that Iowa will watch Born during the July 11-14 live period and at a skills camp on July 23-28 in Illinois.

"The talks have gotten a little more serious," Born said. "Before, it’s been obviously interested — 'Hey, we want you to come up and play,' or, 'Hey, we’re gonna be down and watching.' But just throughout these past two weeks, it’s been more talks of, 'How interested are you in us? We’re interested in you.' Those back-and-forth conversations, and just having more conversations. So we’ll see where it goes."
This confirms what a lot of the recruiting sites have been reporting, which is that Iowa's interest in Born is picking up.

Bottom line, it sounds like if Born plays well in July, Iowa will probably extend an offer. And if Iowa offers, Born would very likely commit.

Interesting comments from Bowen Born about Iowa in this Hawk Central article yesterday. Nothing earth-shaking, but it pretty much confirms recent reports that there's a growing mutual interest between Born and Iowa. He'll make his decision before his senior season starts, but he'd like to wrap things up sooner if possible.

On his two unofficial visits in June:

"Both times I’ve felt like I played really well," Born said. "With the feedback I’ve gotten, obviously things have grown (with Iowa) a lot since the end of my junior year — and then especially within these past two weeks. Things have really grown and you can just feel the interest pick up. Obviously, that’s another school that I’m considering.

"I felt like I’ve fit in really well with the guys and was able to play pretty good up there. Obviously, it’s open gym so you don’t want to read too much into it. But, at the same time, I feel like it was beneficial to me to see that I can play at this level.

"I would go back and play every day if I could — just to get better."
Matt Bain notes that coach Speraw actually invited Born back for a second visit after the first and suggests that Born's performance in the pickup games might have been a factor. The fact that the second visit was Iowa's idea indicates that they really like Born's game.

From the sound of things, Born is very interested in a chance to play at the power conference level (not much of a surprise), and he's impressed with the quality of Iowa's players. It's a good sign that he liked playing with them and thinks he fits in well with the team.

Later, Bain writes that Iowa will watch Born during the July 11-14 live period and at a skills camp on July 23-28 in Illinois.

"The talks have gotten a little more serious," Born said. "Before, it’s been obviously interested — 'Hey, we want you to come up and play,' or, 'Hey, we’re gonna be down and watching.' But just throughout these past two weeks, it’s been more talks of, 'How interested are you in us? We’re interested in you.' Those back-and-forth conversations, and just having more conversations. So we’ll see where it goes."
This confirms what a lot of the recruiting sites have been reporting, which is that Iowa's interest in Born is picking up.

Bottom line, it sounds like if Born plays well in July, Iowa will probably extend an offer. And if Iowa offers, Born would very likely commit.

Thanks, good update.

Thanks for the update. If Fran is gonna offer him, I hope he doesn't dick around for too long about it.

Kind of weird to watch the football team rack up commitments in June while the basketball team has done zip.
Many recruits like to make a choice before their Sr season starts. Obviously the HS football season comes before BBall, plus July is a key month for AAU BBall. Born isn't the only one hoping for new offers (possibly Iowa) in July.

Reactions: mstp1992
Many recruits like to make a choice before their Sr season starts. Obviously the HS football season comes before BBall, plus July is a key month for AAU BBall. Born isn't the only one hoping for new offers (possibly Iowa) in July.

Sure, but I can't remember the last time Iowa went into July without ANY commitments.

You could be his best friend and it has zero affect on his worthiness of a scholarship and also doesn’t mean you have any evaluation ability. It essentially means nothing other than being some sort of weird Internet name dropper.

With a friend like you, Bowen obviously doesn't need enemies.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT