ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

Hawks win game two 6-5 in 12 innings with the International Tie Breaker rule being used. Through 5 innings we only had one hit with quite a few strike outs. Thankfully we made a little noise in the 6th and finally plated two to tie in the seventh. We got lucky in the 9th or 10th. With runners on the corners and no one out down 1 we had two strikeouts after the second the catcher threw the ball passed the pitcher and we scored to move to another extra inning. Shaw and Doocy pitched well. We really needed that win. Overall, too many strikeouts, but we fought and found a way. Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Hawks win in extras 2-0. Lehman pitched a great game. Hawks have not given up an earned run in the three games this weekend. We need the bats to start to heat up.

In the 8th a runner was placed on second. Penn State threw a wild pitch advancing the runner. A walk and a Klosterman RBI single got the Hawks on the Board. Carter bunt singled to load the bases with no outs. We scored on an error by the pitcher, but a pop up the pitcher, runner thrown out at home on a passed ball and a ground ball ended the threat. Klosterman with a great running catch to end the game.

Maryland's pitching is strong. Hoping we can find some offense.

Go Hawks.

Hawks win in extras 2-0. Lehman pitched a great game. Hawks have not given up an earned run in the three games this weekend. We need the bats to start to heat up.

In the 8th a runner was placed on second. Penn State threw a wild pitch advancing the runner. A walk and a Klosterman RBI single got the Hawks on the Board. Carter bunt singled to load the bases with no outs. We scored on an error by the pitcher, but a pop up the pitcher, runner thrown out at home on a passed ball and a ground ball ended the threat. Klosterman with a great running catch to end the game.

Maryland's pitching is strong. Hoping we can find some offense.

Go Hawks.
Great seeing Klosterman do well. She's a great kid.

Hawks win game 1 verses Maryland 1-0 in 8 innings. Doocy with the win. Milkowski threw four runners out stealing. Hawks only get two hits (only 2 strikeouts) but win on a double steal. Maryland's pithcing is fantastic. Hoping we get the bats heated up for game 2.

Thanks for the info! We will be down there the 2nd weekend anyways, so I will check once it gets closer. We asked the staff about getting some tickets, but I'm sure it would break the no contact rules during the dead period.

Maybe this way will be a work around?

Were you still interested in tickets for the second weekend? I may have some

Pitching remains strong for the Hawks. Got a couple runs in the second game. Unfortunately could not hold on.
Maryland has a very similar team. Maryland coach was run out of the game. We deserved!

He had argued about four previous calls. The last one was when our third baseman was trying to make a play on the ball. He clearly interfered. While our player was going after the ball, he continued to backup with her and the ball. The ump called interference, and call his girl that scored out. He became unglued. Said a few choice words. Then was tossed.

Reactions: Wadukester
Another nice win by our Hawks. Our freshmen are beginning to grow up. Milkowski with the winner this time. I believe freshman had the game winning walk off three times. Lehman very solid again going the distance. 5-1 for the weekend. Up next Purdue.

Milkowski has a great weekend behind the plate, too. (I think) she threw out 4 runners at second and 2 at third, plus picked off a runner at second in the Maryland series. Banes with a nice catch in the 8th and Carter throwing the runner out at home.

Lehman is pitching really well as is Doocy and Shaw.

The last few games we are still not getting a lot of hits, but are minimizing strikeouts

Iowa vs. Purdue this weekend.

Possible rain on Thursday, but game days look clear.

Team Batting Average : Purdue .234 (6th) Iowa .199 (12th)
Team ERA: Iowa 1.42 (6th) Purdue 3.73 (13th)

Purdue has four pitchers who have started three games so I would guess we'd see a new pitcher each game:
Bates 1.79 ERA
Peters 3.44 ERA
Henley 4.00 ERA
Echazetta 6.64 ERA

Purdue has four batters over .280. Everyone else is .176 and below.
Becker .500
Bassett .375
Plaustic .360
Goff .281

Purdue is 4-8. We need to win this series.
Purdue went 1-2 verses Nebraska and Maryland, 2-0 verses Penn State and 0-2 Verses Rutgers

Go Hawks

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkeyes4Life32
Nice team win today! The bats came alive. Defense was there when needed.
Shaw pitched a solid game. Kept them off balance most of the game. There were few hard hit balls.
We did strand a few too many runs.
Keep it going. Go Hawks!

I don’t think we had a single batter strike out today. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.
1 down, let’s win 3 more this weekend.

go Hawks!

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
Sorry I said Shaw kept them off balance yesterday, it was actually Lehman.
Purdue took their top pitcher out early. Probably saving her for today.

This weekend's games are with Indiana. Iowa is 10-6 and Indiana 7-9. Winning the series would go a long way to keeping us in the top half of the conference.

Team Batting Average: Iowa .231 (10th) Indiana .241 (8th)
Team ERA: Iowa 1.62 (2nd) Indiana 3.13 (11th)

Indiana appears to have one pitcher that throws most of their innings. Goodwin with a 2.89 ERA She has started 11 of their 16 games. Linton 3.03 ERA has started 3 of the 16 games.

Go Hawks

Does anyone know if Doocy was injured the last play of the game verses Purdue? On the video stream a comebacker knocked her glove off. She picked up the ball and made the play at first, but she was holding her glove hand and the staff was looking at her. Appeared she was in tears. The ball was hit hard up the middle.

The bats were working over the weekend! Was hoping that we just needed to find the right mix of veterans and freshman to score runs. We did struggle with the change a times though, but who doesn’t.
We now have the number two pitching staff in the big ten. Three of them are in the top nine based on era.
Looking forward to seeing how they play at home. Looks like nice weather. I think it’s been mentioned that we are on The Big Ten Network on Sunday.

Sounds like Doocy will be fine for the weekend. Looking forward to the continued growth of the fresh group. Hoping for the stands to be as full as possible. The weather will not be an issue.

Interesting stat....Indiana leads the conference in steals. 53 on 62 attempts. Iowa is 8 for 9. The second most attempted in the Big Ten is Northwestern with 40. Hopefully we can keep them off the base path and minimize the attempts.

Interesting stat....Indiana leads the conference in steals. 53 on 62 attempts. Iowa is 8 for 9. The second most attempted in the Big Ten is Northwestern with 40. Hopefully we can keep them off the base path and minimize the attempts.
Let'em try! Milkowski is going to throw most of them out!

A one run scored loss to Indiana today generates these questions- who was the last truly "dangerous" batter in the Iowa lineup and in what year did she play?

A one run scored loss to Indiana today generates these questions- who was the last truly "dangerous" batter in the Iowa lineup and in what year did she play?
Hate to say it,but pretty disappointed with this year’s team,

Well, there was Megan Blank, who last played in 2015 and hit .442 with 9 HRs making 1st team all-Big Ten and went on to play professionally. And I think there were a couple of other players who at least hit over .300. But as I recall, even Blevins' last couple of teams were light-hitting, and of course the Looper era was pretty anemic

Reactions: pahawk68
Well, there was Megan Blank, who last played in 2015 and hit .442 with 9 HRs making 1st team all-Big Ten and went on to play professionally. And I think there were a couple of other players who at least hit over .300. But as I recall, even Blevins' last couple of teams were light-hitting, and of course the Looper era was pretty anemic
Hopefully things will improve.

Yesterday was a frustrating day. We’ve struggled to get bunts down all year and our inability to get one down with runners on first and second and no outs likely cost us a run. when the offense is struggling you’ve got to find ways to manufacture hits.

Give Indiana credit as their defense saves them a couple runs. Pitching still looking strong.
We need to win the series or go no worse than 2-2 with NW, MN and IL still on the schedule.

Row 55, Blank was who I was thinking of. Believe she volunteered for the Hawks for a year or so.
Uptown you nailed yesterday’s game.
Indiana’s defense did help their cause along with their pitching.
Our defense was strong as well. Lehman pitched another great nine innings.
I was happy to see so many Iowa fans in the stands for a 3:00 game. Unfortunately Good Friday didn’t end up being great.

Nice sweep for the Hawks today. Loecker, Peek, and Milkowski with homer’s; Klosterman missed one by a few feet. Pitching still amazing. Hoping we can get the series win tomorrow.

Nice turnout by the fans yesterday. Great all around game by the team in the first game. They found away in the second. A crazy play to end it. Hope the great pitching can continue.

Reactions: MossHawk6
At the game today. Pitchers duel. 1-0 going into 6th. Indiana has 5 hits, we have none. Maybe more concerning, is that Iowa has been in hitters counts all game. Just haven't taken advantage. Have bottom, top come up in 6th, so hope we can scratch one or two across!

Wonderful day for a game though!

Go Hawks

Ya, crazy game! Still not sure what the official call was that gave Hawks another chance? I assume a catchers interference?

Reactions: UptownHawk
I was playing in a slow pitch tournament on Sunday and following GameTracker. Thought we lost the game and was pretty cranky. Was a nice surprise a couple hours later seeing the actual result.

The call was catcher's interference. On the replay (watch the game on DVR last night) Hamilton's bat did make contact with the catcher's glove so it was the correct call. Good eyes for the blue to see it.

Happy we won the series, but we need to find way to manufacture runs when the offense is not firing. The team needs some more speed which would help. We can control the ability to put down a bunt, however which we have not consistently been able to do in situations where we need to play small ball.

The three pitchers are all doing great. I hope Lehman and Shaw come back next year.

Wisconsin up next. Again, a series we need to win if we want to make the NCAA tournament. Standings are current in the other thread.

I guess it's perspective. Playing a lot of freshman. 17-5 last year before covid hit. 13-7 so far this year. Playing very good defense. Much more disciplined. Roster has many more Iowan's now. Making in roads there. Compared to when Gillispie took over the program has made great improvement. You said you were disappointed in the season. I guess I don't see how it is at all.

Iowa verses Wisconsin in Madison for 4 games April 9-11

Batting: Iowa .226 (12th) Wisconsin .206 (13th)
Slugging Percentage: Wisconsin .315 Iowa .304
ERA: Iowa 1.5 (2nd) Wisconsin 3.00 (10th)
Fielding: Iowa .981 (2nd) Wisconsin .970 (7th)

Wisconsin Top Hitters:
Bannon .333
Mikleisch .267
Foster .231

Wisconsin Pitchers:
Schwartz 3.16 ERA (79,2 innings)
Heskin 4.09 (25.2 innings)

Wisconsin attempts a lot of steals second to Indiana. 28 for 41.

Reactions: CleteyColgate
I guess it's perspective. Playing a lot of freshman. 17-5 last year before covid hit. 13-7 so far this year. Playing very good defense. Much more disciplined. Roster has many more Iowan's now. Making in roads there. Compared to when Gillispie took over the program has made great improvement. You said you were disappointed in the season. I guess I don't see how it is at all.

I agree. I am really proud of how the Hawks have played in a tough Big 10 conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT