ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Softball

Two family members and nobody else... yep, that sounds about right for Madison and Wisconsin! (Outdoors, vaccine level growing daily, masks available and spacing possible, plus most college students are only marginally affected...)

Reactions: pahawk68
Hawks give up 4 in the first inning of game 1. Not looking good. They don’t look ready to play so far.

Doocy threw the first 2 innings and replaced by Shaw. Down 5-0 through 3 1/2. Wisconsin just struck out the side.

Horrible Game! My god,we’re making their pitcher look like Cat Osterman. If we are lucky enough to make contact,it’s little dribblers to third base, Coach sucked me in after last year. I should have known better.
You're quite the fan.

You’re right, I guess I care too much.
No I'd just say you're a arrogant ass.. Coach sucked you in....you should have known better... they are better off without fans like you. This program is so much better than when Looper was here and all you do is bitch. Just quit following them.

No I'd just say you're a arrogant ass.. Coach sucked you in....you should have known better... they are better off without fans like you. This program is so much better than when Looper was here and all you do is bitch. Just quit following them.
Right back at ya JERK!! I’m glad you get off on being so superior. Now go do a circle jerk with yourself!

Nearly every thread on this site turns into a pissing match between two DBs. Can we leave it out of the softball thread, PLEASE!!!
Where is Denali Loecker this weekend? They really could have used her hitting.

Right back at ya JERK!! I’m glad you get off on being so superior. Now go do a circle jerk with yourself!

What am I missing? With the new coach Iowa is miles better than they have been. Before season got cancelled in 2020 they were 17-5 I think. No idea if they could have kept that up, but probably been 10 years at least since Iowa had a 22-game run like that in softball. They are 14-10 this year and 5th in conference. There appears to be progress being made.

Did people think Iowa was winning the softball conference title this year?

Ugh...what a disappointing performance this weekend. With a tough schedule looming it was an opportunity to rack up some wins. Making it hurt worse is Illinois and Ohio State went 1-3 and we could have passed Illinois and put some distance between us and OSU who has an easier schedule remaining.

Last week Coach G was on podcast from a Cedar Rapids radio station. They asked her about the NCAA tournament and she said she expected only 3 Big Ten teams to make it but was hoping they committee would not look at RPI due to conference only. She said we needed to go at least 2-2 with MN and NW and take care of business this weekend. Possibly the team was overlooking Wisconsin. It was a poor showing. It's on the coaches to get the team prepared to play.

There has been talk of whether this season has been disappointing or not. Coming into the season my thought was Iowa would finish around 4th thru 6th with a legit shot at making the NCAA tournament. The team has work to do to achieve that goal. I will be a little disappointed if we do not make the NCAA tournament because our pitching staff is worthy. With a tough schedule remaining it still is conceivable we finish below .500 which would be a disappointment. I guess we'll see how the rest of the season pans out.

Big Games this weekend.....

14-10 Iowa hosts 18-6 Northwestern
19-5 Minnesota vs. 14-10 Nebraska
16-4 Michigan vs. 11-13 Maryland
15-9 Illinois vs. 7-17 Purdue
13-10 Ohio State vs. 11-13 Indiana
7-13 MSU vs. 4-19 PSU
6-18 Rutgers vs. 8-16 Wisconsin

Does anyone know if Shaw and/or Lehman will return next year?

Go Hawks!!

Last edited:
Great points being made about our teams results so far. Very happy with the pitching and defense. Obviously our young bats need start producing on a more regular bases. The fourth consideration needs to be coaching. I better leave that as a no comment.

Wisconsin did as a team seem to want it more this past weekend. The schedule gets really difficult the next couple of weeks. We will learn what we are made of.

On this board I try to keep things mostly positive. Remembering that these young ladies are representing the The University of Iowa. Many of them are on partial scholarship at the most. Plus they are not treated like rock stars like football and basketball players are.

Great post, Hillcrest. I agree with your points especially remaining positive. Sorry if my last post was not as positive as it should have been. I wasn't intending to call out the players, the area of improvement I'd like to see is manufacturing runs when the bats are not hot (hit and run, squeezes, stealing third, double steals, any thing to put pressure on the d) which is on the coaching staff to figure out ways to apply pressure. I try and remind myself that three or four years ago we would not go into Madison expecting a series win so the fact that is now the expectation shows the growth with the new staff.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Honestly, we'd been winning by the skin of our teeth - half the wins coming in extras. Slightest drop off / drop in energy / bad luck, and we lose games. That's what happened last weekend.

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
Honestly, we'd been winning by the skin of our teeth - half the wins coming in extras. Slightest drop off / drop in energy / bad luck, and we lose games. That's what happened last weekend.
Can we please hire a hitting coach? Like yesterday!!

Losing 3 to Wisconsin hurts when your next 4 are Northwestern. No hits, no wins this weekend if don't pick it up quickly
..and the four after that are against Minnesota.

I don't know how Milkowski doesn't get an at-bat when we're trying to break up a perfect game. I take it Kit Rocco is injured?? She was a .300 hitter last year. (Course Kelena was a .400 hitter and Nia was a .500 hitter...)

I hate to say this because I think the program is certainly headed in the right direction and is VERY young, but Iowa is blowing a 7-1 lead to NW. The way they are losing is the problem. NW has a great team and they have gotten into the heads of the Hawkeyes! Complete intimidation as of the top of the 6th. After this game, i see us getting swept in the series. I hope the coaching staff can get the pieces put back together for a decent end of the year drive. I like this team... cheering for them all the way!

I've lost count of the dumb coaching decisions. Let a .145 player bat with the bases loaded and Kalena on the bench. Intentionally walk the bases loaded up three runs? And walk a .370 to get to a .380 hitter, with another .300 hitter behind her. Have Milkowski bunt / try to manufacture a run down two in 6th?

Game 2 - Down 4, players on 1st & 2nd, 1 out and Peek (one of the best hitters on the team with extra-base potential), attempts a bunt.

Bases loaded. 2 out. Down 4. Coach goes with a .000 batter.

Bottom 5th. Bunting down 4 with one of your better hitters up to bat.

Last edited:
I hate to say this because I think the program is certainly headed in the right direction and is VERY young, but Iowa is blowing a 7-1 lead to NW. The way they are losing is the problem. NW has a great team and they have gotten into the heads of the Hawkeyes! Complete intimidation as of the top of the 6th. After this game, i see us getting swept in the series. I hope the coaching staff can get the pieces put back together for a decent end of the year drive. I like this team... cheering for them all the way!
Only IOWA could have a 7-0 lead and LOSE!!!

Congrats to the Hawkeyes, they showed they have more mental toughness than I presumed in beating NW and avoiding a sweep! Nice game today. Shaw pitched well in relief. She is so demonstrative on the mound. Not sure how opposing teams respond to her... guessing most simply ignore her, but maybe not. Who pitches next year?

Reactions: HillcrestHawk
Congrats to the Hawkeyes, they showed they have more mental toughness than I presumed in beating NW and avoiding a sweep! Nice game today. Shaw pitched well in relief. She is so demonstrative on the mound. Not sure how opposing teams respond to her... guessing most simply ignore her, but maybe not. Who pitches next year?
Much better mental toughness today. Good for them!

Good move today by splitting the game up with the three pitchers. I’m guessing we will see it used again. Was hoping for it some time as all three pitchers have such different skill set. On to Minnesota.

Reactions: LinusPF
A day after throwing her 700th career strikeout, Doocy backs it up with a five inning no hitter.
Klosterman with her second homer of the weekend to start the game. Hopefully she earns big 10 freshman of the week. Great weekend of softball.
Parents did have to sit beyond the outfield fence, similar to Florida. We should feel fortunate that fan in Iowa city are able to attend the game.

Reactions: beahawk
ADVERTISEMENT