ADVERTISEMENT

****2024-25 Chicago Bears Thread 🏆 ****

College Sports Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

Does Tennessee have a good defense? I am in the Omaha area and they chose to play the Vikings game
To me it looked a lot like a rookie QB who’d never seen an NFL defense in person. Also, the o-line is weak, and Velus Jones inexplicably still has a roster spot. He needs to go yesterday.

Reactions: torbee and kkhawk
There was a lot of offensive suckage across the NFL in Week 1, so I am not hitting the panic button on Williams and the O just yet. The combination of workout and practice restrictions in the CBA, less preseason games, and key offensive players, or entire offenses, sitting out preseason games makes Week 1 a de facto extension of preseason.

Honestly, in the next CBA the owners need to push to put more practices, more mandatory off-season workouts, and more live fire practices and scrimmages back into the CBA because the on-field product has really suffered.

Reactions: torbee
I still remain unconvinced that Caleb Williams' ceiling is much higher than Justin Fields - and that isn't a bash of Caleb Williams. I think Fields is fully capable of being a Top 5-10 NFL QB and if the Bears had used their #1 pick as capital to build an even better supporting cast, this rebuild would be further ahead than it is now and the path to being a true playoff/Superbowl contender would be shorter.

I'm willing to eat crow if Williams turns out to be a genuine superstar, but nothing I've seen so far indicates that will be the case to me.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I still remain unconvinced that Caleb Williams' ceiling is much higher than Justin Fields - and that isn't a bash of Caleb Williams. I think Fields is fully capable of being a Top 5-10 NFL QB and if the Bears had used their #1 pick as capital to build an even better supporting cast, this rebuild would be further ahead than it is now and the path to being a true playoff/Superbowl contender would be shorter.

I'm willing to eat crow if Williams turns out to be a genuine superstar, but nothing I've seen so far indicates that will be the case to me.
This is me. I wanted to trade down a couple times, get Alt, maybe a couple firsts for next year

I think Caleb will be just fine. A lot of HOF QB's struggled in their first game/season.

Justin Fields can't read a defense. Unless that changes, he will never be a top 10 QB in the league.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I think Fields is fully capable of being a Top 5-10 NFL QB and if the Bears had used their #1 pick as capital to build an even better supporting cast, this rebuild would be further ahead than it is now and the path to being a true playoff/Superbowl contender would be shorter.
I said this over and over again, that I wanted the Bears to trade down and load up on picks and keep Fields. But having a QB on their rookie deal is like a cheat code in the NFL if that QB turns out to be star. There was enough smoke and hype around WIlliams that the Bears had to do this. Imagine trading down and Williams being a generational star.

The upside to all this is that the Bears are loaded with offensive weapons and great D. Williams has no excuses if he doesn't succeed.

I said this over and over again, that I wanted the Bears to trade down and load up on picks and keep Fields. But having a QB on their rookie deal is like a cheat code in the NFL if that QB turns out to be star. There was enough smoke and hype around WIlliams that the Bears had to do this. Imagine trading down and Williams being a generational star.

The upside to all this is that the Bears are loaded with offensive weapons and great D. Williams has no excuses if he doesn't succeed.
I truly get that argument as well, and grudgingly accept it. I just think it delayed any possible return to being a true contender longer and I ain't getting any younger!

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Williams has been anointed the next coming of JC for months by the Chicago media yet most NFL pundits ranking yesterday's rookie QB's gave him a grade of D+ or C-. Had that been Justin Fields performing that poorly in his debut the Chicago press would already be running him out of town on a rail!

Well that was possibly the most Bears'iest of Bears wins we've seen since 2006... but a win is a win.
The concerns I had coming in were clear as day though and teams are going to rage advantage...
The interior OL is awful.
The interior DL is thin.
Waldron is at best an average play caller who appears to not have a great feel for protecting the qb better.
Williams height is an issue, hopefully not a huge one but I think there were 4 batted balls?
Going to be a season of ups and downs, I'm still hoping for 9 wins.

Williams has been anointed the next coming of JC for months by the Chicago media yet most NFL pundits ranking yesterday's rookie QB's gave him a grade of D+ or C-. Had that been Justin Fields performing that poorly in his debut the Chicago press would already be running him out of town on a rail!
He was 100% rookie Fields yesterday without the dynamic running ability, though he made a few key plays with his legs as well.
Hopefully he develops at a much better trajectory than fields did, bc Justin is still pretty much the same guy he was 4 years ago.
At this point I think Williams floor is Justin's ceiling.

Reactions: darylhawk
At this point I think Williams floor is Justin's ceiling.
Man, I hope you are right, but Field's biggest issue, as noted, is reading defenses which is mental - I think he has even better physical tools than Williams.

Mental issues can be overcome with study, repetition and experience.

Physical limitations, for the most part, are what they are and can't be overcome.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Chicago media liked fields...everyone liked him, including me.
I was promoting trading the pick for more #1s before draft and remain concerned about Caleb's short stature. Not a fan of short QBs.
But I have no choice but root for this crew.
Caleb is very adept at buying time and keeping his eyes downfield but accuracy was an issue.
Houston will be tough.
Bear defense is good but big challenge this week.
Titans defense was rugged.

My biggest concern from last year was fixing the 0-line. Who doesn't love adding Wiliams and Odunze? But, then in the third round Poles moved up to get a guy that was injured, and is not expected to help this season. Why? Every position on the O-line except RT is a question mark.

Man, I hope you are right, but Field's biggest issue, as noted, is reading defenses which is mental - I think he has even better physical tools than Williams.

Mental issues can be overcome with study, repetition and experience.

Physical limitations, for the most part, are what they are and can't be overcome.
No doubt fields is athletically gifted enough to be a top qb. I really thought he'd be Josh Allen mixed with Lamar by now. But like you said, the mental hasn't clicked.
I think Caleb is a top 10 athlete at the position right now so the physical limitation shouldnt hold him back. He's not Fields, but he's way ahead of even the middle of the pack and he does have elite arm talent.
I think his mental processing is also good, but whether or not its elite will be the determining factor in his success.
Fingers crossed they've finally found the one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT