ADVERTISEMENT

2024 baseball returners (Pitcher's edition)

Rose bowl or bust

HR Heisman
Jul 30, 2003
Hell of a year from Heller and the boys. Tied school record for number of wins and came up a little short armed in the regionals. The suspensions didn't help matters, but Heller did one heck of a job making sure that didn't become a distraction within the locker room.

Here's a look at what we know is returning (obviously we don't know who might transfer.). Bolded are not draft eligible, so will return.

Pitchers:
Brody Brecht - So - top line starter
Max Tramontana - Fr. - no stats, so likely redshirted?
Aaron Savary - Fr
Marcus Morgan - So - top line starter
Jack Whitlock - So
Chas Wheatley - So - only 10.2 innings
Cade Obermueller - Fr
Drew Proskovec - Fr - only 1.2 innings
Jacob Henderson - RsJr. - only pitched 14 innings (CAN HER RETURN???)
Zack Voelker - RsSo. - draft eligible, but likely not drafted
Ty Langenberg - Jr - likely gone in draft
Jack Young - Jr - only pitched 5 innings
Luke Llewellyn - Jr - low ERA for reliever - possibly gone?
Will Christopherson - RsJr - good stats - could be 3rd starter or could be gone
Nick Gottila - Jr - only 16 innings
Caleb Strack - RsJr - only 1 inning
Benjamin DeTaeye - RSJr - 0 innings
Keaton Anthony - RsSo - CAN HE EVEN RETURN???

We have two top end starters returning with Brecht and Morgan. Will need to find 3rd weekend starter - but a great duo to build around. Not many arms in the bullpen though. Obvioulsy will need to pick up a few arms with transfers. Christopheron was huge this year....need to find another guy like that.

It wasn't the closers that struggled, it was our relievers. Whitlock just wasn't up for the challenge in his two outings and we saw the carnival of errors from the committee of pitchers last night.

Either they have to improve or Iowa needs to hit the portal/hope incoming recruits show out.

Reactions: obfuscating
Sorry if this has been discussed, any truth to Brecht and Morgan going south to finish their careers?

For baseball players looking to transfer schools without having to sit out the following season, the deadline to submit the paperwork to enter the transfer portal is July 13th.

There is another window for baseball players to enter the transfer portal (December 1-15, 2023) but college baseball does not allow for "mid-year" transfers to be immediately eligible for the upcoming season unless there are certain changes in circumstances (i.e. change in coaches, scholarship revoked/reduced).

Simply put, any college baseball player who enters the transfer before July 13, 2023 will be eligible to compete in the '24 season (so long as it is their first transfer). A college baseball player not experiencing the requisite change in circumstances who enters the December 1-15, 2023 portal opening would have to sit out the '24 season.

We should have a pretty good idea in the next 35 days of who on Iowa's current roster is throwing their name into the portal.

D1 Baseball has a transfer portal tracker that is behind a paywall. Perhaps Mr. @Alum-Ni would be kind enough to provide a B1G update after July 13th on which players from the B1G are searching for greener baseball diamonds.

I haven't yet seen any official announcement as to where various players will be playing ball this upcoming summer. In previous years, the baseball program released information relating to summer ball assignments right around this time of year. I'll be keeping my eyes open for '23 information.

2022: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/06/03/hawkeyes-in-summer-ball-2022/
2021: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/06/07/hawkeyes-set-for-summer-ball/
2020: COVID
2019: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...-fly-across-the-country-for-summer-ball-2019/

Reactions: funnyfletcher
For baseball players looking to transfer schools without having to sit out the following season, the deadline to submit the paperwork to enter the transfer portal is July 13th.

There is another window for baseball players to enter the transfer portal (December 1-15, 2023) but college baseball does not allow for "mid-year" transfers to be immediately eligible for the upcoming season unless there are certain changes in circumstances (i.e. change in coaches, scholarship revoked/reduced).

Simply put, any college baseball player who enters the transfer before July 13, 2023 will be eligible to compete in the '24 season (so long as it is their first transfer). A college baseball player not experiencing the requisite change in circumstances who enters the December 1-15, 2023 portal opening would have to sit out the '24 season.

We should have a pretty good idea in the next 35 days of who on Iowa's current roster is throwing their name into the portal.

D1 Baseball has a transfer portal tracker that is behind a paywall. Perhaps Mr. @Alum-Ni would be kind enough to provide a B1G update after July 13th on which players from the B1G are searching for greener baseball diamonds.
Great info, thanks!

Article in today's DMR about whether disappointment in the Regional could serve as motivation for the offseason/next season: https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...al-indiana-state-ncaa-tournament/70297467007/

Pretty sure that you need a subscription (or haven't burned your allotment of free articles) to access the content.

Relevant to this thread as there is reference to Langenberg "likely" gone via the draft and that there are "fringe" draft prospects (Huckstorf, Hojnar, Seegers) who would lose negotiating leverage if drafted and choose to return. Mentions that it is quite likely that Anthony will pursue a professional career. There's reference to "barring unforeseen circumstances," Brecht and Morgan would anchor the weekend rotation.

Take it FWIW and I'm not offering any predictions.

Hopefully we are buyers and not sellers in that transfer portal. I have to admit I'm a bit squirmish about Brecht since he quit football to focus on baseball. But he did pass on money once, hopefully he will pass on it again to stay a Hawkeye.

Heller has had some success finding a big bat in the portal.

It's a conundrum.

On one hand, any Iowa baseball fan wants the Hawkeyes to successfully recruit and field competitive baseball teams. That requires successful recruiting and putting good talent on display for scouts to evaluate. Having players selected in the MLB draft generally means that recruiting has been successful, players have produced and MLB teams believe in the product. That is also something that can be touted on the recruiting trail when trying to convince players to come to Iowa City.

On the other hand, the structure of college baseball, the B1G and the MLB draft is such that keeping elite high Iowa school talent in-state is incredibly difficult. The B1G is not a power conference when it comes to baseball. Southern and western states offer remarkably better weather. Other conferences make it far less challenging to get scholarship money to the players. And, when the players that come to Iowa City shine on the field, they are likely to consider leaving after they are 21 or after their Junior year (whichever comes first) because, if they don't do so, they lose negotiating leverage.

You relish the great players when you have them but lament that their time in IC may not be for four years.

I sure do hope that Blake Guerin will be playing summer ball and gets lots (and I mean lots) of ABs. I was really impressed by his footwork and glove work when watching him take pre-game infield. Far more smooth and athletic than I anticipated. It would be great if he could shed about 15 lbs of mass, develop a bit more muscle (while staying flexible) and get some swings in games. I envision he'll be given a really long look at either DH or 1B for next season.

Reactions: 2bagger22
It's a conundrum.

On one hand, any Iowa baseball fan wants the Hawkeyes to successfully recruit and field competitive baseball teams. That requires successful recruiting and putting good talent on display for scouts to evaluate. Having players selected in the MLB draft generally means that recruiting has been successful, players have produced and MLB teams believe in the product. That is also something that can be touted on the recruiting trail when trying to convince players to come to Iowa City.

On the other hand, the structure of college baseball, the B1G and the MLB draft is such that keeping elite high Iowa school talent in-state is incredibly difficult. The B1G is not a power conference when it comes to baseball. Southern and western states offer remarkably better weather. Other conferences make it far less challenging to get scholarship money to the players. And, when the players that come to Iowa City shine on the field, they are likely to consider leaving after they are 21 or after their Junior year (whichever comes first) because, if they don't do so, they lose negotiating leverage.

You relish the great players when you have them but lament that their time in IC may not be for four years.

I sure do hope that Blake Guerin will be playing summer ball and gets lots (and I mean lots) of ABs. I was really impressed by his footwork and glove work when watching him take pre-game infield. Far more smooth and athletic than I anticipated. It would be great if he could shed about 15 lbs of mass, develop a bit more muscle (while staying flexible) and get some swings in games. I envision he'll be given a really long look at either DH or 1B for next season.
I recently noticed his brother is among the top pitchers in MN for ‘24 and an Iowa commit. Thrilled Anderson is still at the helm for Minnesota.

Reactions: AuroraHawk

Sure thing

Stumbled across this while enjoying my morning coffee on the deck:

Reactions: ssckelley
I haven't yet seen any official announcement as to where various players will be playing ball this upcoming summer. In previous years, the baseball program released information relating to summer ball assignments right around this time of year. I'll be keeping my eyes open for '23 information.

2022: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2022/06/03/hawkeyes-in-summer-ball-2022/
2021: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/06/07/hawkeyes-set-for-summer-ball/
2020: COVID
2019: https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2019...-fly-across-the-country-for-summer-ball-2019/

Came across this:

Saw a follow up tweet by Kyle that a team in the Cape Cod league has selected Zach Voelker as well. That's a total of 6 Hawkeyes on last year's roster who are competing this Summer in what is widely described as the premiere Summer league.

Given that Langenberg is a near-lock to be drafted and start his pro career, Obermueller and Voelker (the latter for a second straight summer) have a phenomenal opportunity to develop their skills, hone their talents and compete for one of the weekend starting spots.

Cape Cod League
Keaton Anthony (Cotiut)
Brody Brecht (Chatham)
Marcus Morgan (Bourne)
Cade Obermueller (Hyannis)
Sam Peterrsen (Bourne)
Zach Voelker (Hyannis)

Appalachian League
Blake Guerin (Bluefield)
Reese Moore (Pulaski)
Kellen Strohmeyer (Pulaski)

MLB Draft League
Will Christophersen (Team TBA)
Nick Gottilla (State College)
Kyle Huckstorf (State College)

Northwoods League
Gable Mitchell (LaCrosse)
Andy Nelson (Lakeshore)
Aaron Savary (Waterloo)
Caleb Strack (Mankato)
Ben Wilmes (Waterloo)

Prospect League
Will Mulflur (Burlington)
Drew Proskovec (Clinton)
Coy Sarsfield (Burlington)
Jack Young (Clinton)
Ben DeTaeye (Clinton)

California Collegiate
Jacob Henderson (Arroyo Seco)
Raider Tello (Arroyo Seco)

West Coast League
Chas Wheatley (Edmonton)

Coastal Plains
Jack Whitlock (Lexington)

Great Lakes
Max Tramontana (Hamilton)

Pioneer League
Ben Swails (Fremont)

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Updated B1G movement from the D1Baseball Transfer Tracker:

PLAYEROLD SCHOOLNEW SCHOOL
Santino RaoSouth FloridaNorthwestern
Mitchell WoodIowaYavapai CC (Arizona)
DJ HeckIowaNorthwest Missouri State
Calvin ShepherdIllinois(TBD)
Andres SuarezOhio State(TBD)
Peter CiuffredaLouisiana-LafayetteRutgers
Bobby OlsenNebraska(TBD)
Nathan EarlyOhio State(TBD)
Sean LaneMarylandHofstra
Noah BurkePenn State(TBD)
Ozan UyulurMichigan State(TBD)
Cam JonesMarylandFrederick CC (Maryland)
Jonathan WalmanMaryland(TBD)
Jayson HoopesRutgers(TBD)
Andrew BrockMaryland(TBD)
Matt DreherNebraska(TBD)
Michael WalshMaryland(TBD)
Mikey PauleyNebraska(TBD)
Tywone MaloneMississippiOhio State
Brandon LawrenceMichigan(TBD)
Ted BurtonMichiganTexas A&M
Chandler BensonNebraska(TBD)
Calvin ScapiraPurdue(TBD)
Cameron ThompsonPurdue(TBD)
Ryan PartridgePenn State(TBD)
Brandon LundquistNebraska(TBD)
John PiacentinoPenn State(TBD)
Josh SpiegelPenn State(TBD)
Tyson CooperPenn State(TBD)
Stephen HrustichNorthwestern(TBD)
Coby MoeNorthwestern(TBD)
Charles HoodNebraska(TBD)
Jake CooperPenn State(TBD)
Ryan KeenanNorthwestern(TBD)
Caden KaiserOhio State(TBD)
Conrad ValdezPurdue(TBD)
Danny MelnickRutgers(TBD)
Avery CokPurdue(TBD)
Sam BelloRutgers(TBD)
Jason ShockleyRutgers(TBD)
John MalcolmMichigan State(TBD)
Matthew RoweRutgers(TBD)
Jake JohnsonOhio StateNorthern Kentucky
Andrew JonesOhio State(TBD)
Colin PurcellTexas A&M-Corpus ChristiOhio State
Garret FrenchRutgers(TBD)
Maximus MartinRutgers(TBD)
Samuel GarewalNorthwestern(TBD)
Ahmad SarajliMichigan(TBD)
Jacob BunzNebraska(TBD)
Avery GoldensophMichigan(TBD)
Robert PittsMichigan(TBD)
James FafinskiNorthwestern(TBD)
Cody HultinkMichigan(TBD)
Nathen VossMichigan(TBD)
Brant HogueOklahoma StateIowa
Camden GasserMichigan(TBD)
Andrew WilsonIowa(TBD)
Luke TannerNorthwestern(TBD)
Grant BesserRutgers(TBD)
Andrew CarsonMichigan State(TBD)
Martin KaplanNorthwestern(TBD)
Mason OrnelasNebraska(TBD)
John ModugnoRutgers(TBD)
Andrew NelsonIowa(TBD)
Joe KronerRutgers(TBD)
Wagner MorrissetteMaryland(TBD)
Elakim StoweMaryland(TBD)
Ryan ZimmerMichigan(TBD)
Paul ToetzPurdue(TBD)
Ethan VecrumbaIndiana(TBD)
Grant ComstockNorthwestern (TBD)
Michael ElkoNorthwestern(TBD)
Luke JessenNebraska(TBD)
Travis GarnettMaryland(TBD)
Cole PauleyOhio State(TBD)
Josh SauserNorthwestern(TBD)
Zach HopmanMichigan State(TBD)
Bobby ZmarzlakMaryland (TBD)
Matt EllisIndiana(TBD)
Caleb EstesMaryland(TBD)
Dawson HallMinnesota(TBD)
Luke HaydenIndiana(TBD)
Jorge De GotiIndiana(TBD)
Craig YohoIndiana (TBD)
Max ChapmanMichigan State(TBD)
Landon PriceOhio State(TBD)
Sam HojnarIowa(TBD)
Adrian VegaIndiana(TBD)
Logan DanzeisenPurdue(TBD)
Cooper HellmanIndiana(TBD)
Augie CollinsNorthwestern(TBD)
Vinny BianchinaNorthwestern(TBD)
Rans SandersOmahaNebraska
Ian PetrutzMaryland(TBD)
Jacob MorinTennessee TechOhio State
Reece BeuterDallas BaptistIowa
Daniel DoligateIllinois(TBD)
Izaak SiefkenIllinois(TBD)
Evan SleightRutgers(TBD)
Ty RybarczykIllinois(TBD)

Updated B1G movement from the D1Baseball Transfer Tracker:

PLAYEROLD SCHOOLNEW SCHOOL
Santino RaoSouth FloridaNorthwestern
Mitchell WoodIowaYavapai CC (Arizona)
DJ HeckIowaNorthwest Missouri State
Calvin ShepherdIllinois(TBD)
Andres SuarezOhio State(TBD)
Peter CiuffredaLouisiana-LafayetteRutgers
Bobby OlsenNebraska(TBD)
Nathan EarlyOhio State(TBD)
Sean LaneMarylandHofstra
Noah BurkePenn State(TBD)
Ozan UyulurMichigan State(TBD)
Cam JonesMarylandFrederick CC (Maryland)
Jonathan WalmanMaryland(TBD)
Jayson HoopesRutgers(TBD)
Andrew BrockMaryland(TBD)
Matt DreherNebraska(TBD)
Michael WalshMaryland(TBD)
Mikey PauleyNebraska(TBD)
Tywone MaloneMississippiOhio State
Brandon LawrenceMichigan(TBD)
Ted BurtonMichiganTexas A&M
Chandler BensonNebraska(TBD)
Calvin ScapiraPurdue(TBD)
Cameron ThompsonPurdue(TBD)
Ryan PartridgePenn State(TBD)
Brandon LundquistNebraska(TBD)
John PiacentinoPenn State(TBD)
Josh SpiegelPenn State(TBD)
Tyson CooperPenn State(TBD)
Stephen HrustichNorthwestern(TBD)
Coby MoeNorthwestern(TBD)
Charles HoodNebraska(TBD)
Jake CooperPenn State(TBD)
Ryan KeenanNorthwestern(TBD)
Caden KaiserOhio State(TBD)
Conrad ValdezPurdue(TBD)
Danny MelnickRutgers(TBD)
Avery CokPurdue(TBD)
Sam BelloRutgers(TBD)
Jason ShockleyRutgers(TBD)
John MalcolmMichigan State(TBD)
Matthew RoweRutgers(TBD)
Jake JohnsonOhio StateNorthern Kentucky
Andrew JonesOhio State(TBD)
Colin PurcellTexas A&M-Corpus ChristiOhio State
Garret FrenchRutgers(TBD)
Maximus MartinRutgers(TBD)
Samuel GarewalNorthwestern(TBD)
Ahmad SarajliMichigan(TBD)
Jacob BunzNebraska(TBD)
Avery GoldensophMichigan(TBD)
Robert PittsMichigan(TBD)
James FafinskiNorthwestern(TBD)
Cody HultinkMichigan(TBD)
Nathen VossMichigan(TBD)
Brant HogueOklahoma StateIowa
Camden GasserMichigan(TBD)
Andrew WilsonIowa(TBD)
Luke TannerNorthwestern(TBD)
Grant BesserRutgers(TBD)
Andrew CarsonMichigan State(TBD)
Martin KaplanNorthwestern(TBD)
Mason OrnelasNebraska(TBD)
John ModugnoRutgers(TBD)
Andrew NelsonIowa(TBD)
Joe KronerRutgers(TBD)
Wagner MorrissetteMaryland(TBD)
Elakim StoweMaryland(TBD)
Ryan ZimmerMichigan(TBD)
Paul ToetzPurdue(TBD)
Ethan VecrumbaIndiana(TBD)
Grant ComstockNorthwestern(TBD)
Michael ElkoNorthwestern(TBD)
Luke JessenNebraska(TBD)
Travis GarnettMaryland(TBD)
Cole PauleyOhio State(TBD)
Josh SauserNorthwestern(TBD)
Zach HopmanMichigan State(TBD)
Bobby ZmarzlakMaryland(TBD)
Matt EllisIndiana(TBD)
Caleb EstesMaryland(TBD)
Dawson HallMinnesota(TBD)
Luke HaydenIndiana(TBD)
Jorge De GotiIndiana(TBD)
Craig YohoIndiana(TBD)
Max ChapmanMichigan State(TBD)
Landon PriceOhio State(TBD)
Sam HojnarIowa(TBD)
Adrian VegaIndiana(TBD)
Logan DanzeisenPurdue(TBD)
Cooper HellmanIndiana(TBD)
Augie CollinsNorthwestern(TBD)
Vinny BianchinaNorthwestern(TBD)
Rans SandersOmahaNebraska
Ian PetrutzMaryland(TBD)
Jacob MorinTennessee TechOhio State
Reece BeuterDallas BaptistIowa
Daniel DoligateIllinois(TBD)
Izaak SiefkenIllinois(TBD)
Evan SleightRutgers(TBD)
Ty RybarczykIllinois(TBD)
I missed that Rob Cooper resigned at Penn State. Depending on room I'd reach out to Piacentino at PSU. I'd also reach out to Yoho and Carson.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT