ADVERTISEMENT

2024 baseball returners (Position Players edition)

there are a lot of players playing on teams in leagues like the one in Waterloo/CR so when those players start going back home and coaches can get in touch with them. then we can start getting a Idea as to who will be starting,

then there is the black and gold games, where Heller can start putting his starting lineup. I was hoping that Hojnar would return as I was thinking that he would bat in the 3rd spot of the order.

now Heller has to replace Dorigi and Anthony the 2 heavy hitters and highest avg hitters on the team. losing those 2 opens up a big whole in the starting lineup..

I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe I need the board owner's permission to make a push for funds, or announce how this is working in its infancy. I'm not sure. The board owner could call the person I spoke to at U of I baseball and confirm if necessary. I'll wait for someone to reach out about that if they're willing Maybe someone on here knows them and can contact them? That way everyone would know this is legit, and it would be confirmed. If it gets to that point it probably deserves it's own separate thread.

I'll share what I'm comfortable sharing. I did ask, and did receive permission to share, specifically on this board and elsewhere.

This is what I know about Iowa baseball NIL after my conversation today.

There was some talk of a collective, but that's not practical until there is some critical mass. Meaning a pool of money.

What has been going on is that if a player needs money for tuition, individual donors are reached out to, and they collectively try to raise the funds. There is a sample contract being used. That contract, prior to execution I'm assuming, needs to be vetted by U of I compliance. Those donations have been individual donations in the 1000's. At this point the need is so critical, any amount, which obviously would need to be grouped together per player, is better than nothing.

I was told three names. One business owner in Des Moines. I didn't recognize the name, and frankly even though I just got off of the telephone, I can't even remember it. Two business owners in Cedar Rapids, one of the names I recognize, and know. I will be reaching out to that person in Cedar Rapids and I think they will be responsive. That way, especially since they have been involved longer than I, I will have some guidance. I basically have one telephone conversation, and zero experience in this.

For my part, I received permission to make this post, and will be calling some other business owners to gauge interest. I'll also pool my donation with the group of other donors and help at least one player.

At this point, if anyone on here is interested in helping, it's a player by player deal, and if $30,000 is needed, a donation of $50 as an example, would be pooled together with other donations until the one player can be helped.

I'm just gauging interest at this point. This is actually going to take a lot of my time, of which I have little. There is zero profit motive by me. And I suspect if things start to progress, I would be granted permission to put individual donors in direct contact with others, up to and including coaches.

A very frank conversation. A pitcher came up. The DCI came up. The Cape Cod League came up. Again, if it gets to the point someone on here donates, you can have this conversation directly. Although I asked permission to share this, and it was granted, I'm really not comfortable naming a pitcher who just had his tuition handled, spelling out what happened at Cape Cod, what happened with Sam and Maryland, and what we both suspect triggered the DCI situation. I guess if there is a carrot and stick here, maybe you can have this conversation directly.

I have no idea where this is going to go, either on this board, or with me calling other business owners I know and asking if they'd be willing to support Hawkeye baseball NIL.

That's all I know for now. It moved pretty quickly. I reached out this morning, and just got off the telephone. I have mixed emotions, became this is going to cost me some time and money. But I also know just how far behind Iowa baseball NIL is, and just how much the team overperforms despite obstacles. I watched the end of the LSU game last night. One guy on that team gets $1MM. We're struggling between 10-20 guys to cover one player's tuition.

If anyone knows any Iowa Hawkeye baseball fans who might donate, I'm happy to meet with them and you.

That had to be an AI-generated or some other "algorithmic"-generated story posted on Yahoo. Posted under "Trojan Wire" and includes a passing comment relating to USC football. Looks like it "grabbed" the name "Lincoln Riley" and automatically filed it under USC football and automatically added a throw away paragraph relating to USC football.

Reactions: globalhawk
That had to be an AI-generated or some other "algorithmic"-generated story posted on Yahoo. Posted under "Trojan Wire" and includes a passing comment relating to USC football. Looks like it "grabbed" the name "Lincoln Riley" and automatically filed it under USC football and automatically added a throw away paragraph relating to USC football.
There is a Lincoln Riley on the Eastern Illinois roster though. He is a Senior from Marion.

Heller need position players not pitchers since he didn't use the ones he had. he is losing position players not pitchers.
You can't have enough pitchers - especially those who can get in the mid 90's. Watching the College World Series should be enough evidence for that.

Reactions: intrepodor
I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe I need the board owner's permission to make a push for funds, or announce how this is working in its infancy. I'm not sure. The board owner could call the person I spoke to at U of I baseball and confirm if necessary. I'll wait for someone to reach out about that if they're willing Maybe someone on here knows them and can contact them? That way everyone would know this is legit, and it would be confirmed. If it gets to that point it probably deserves it's own separate thread.

I'll share what I'm comfortable sharing. I did ask, and did receive permission to share, specifically on this board and elsewhere.

This is what I know about Iowa baseball NIL after my conversation today.

There was some talk of a collective, but that's not practical until there is some critical mass. Meaning a pool of money.

What has been going on is that if a player needs money for tuition, individual donors are reached out to, and they collectively try to raise the funds. There is a sample contract being used. That contract, prior to execution I'm assuming, needs to be vetted by U of I compliance. Those donations have been individual donations in the 1000's. At this point the need is so critical, any amount, which obviously would need to be grouped together per player, is better than nothing.

I was told three names. One business owner in Des Moines. I didn't recognize the name, and frankly even though I just got off of the telephone, I can't even remember it. Two business owners in Cedar Rapids, one of the names I recognize, and know. I will be reaching out to that person in Cedar Rapids and I think they will be responsive. That way, especially since they have been involved longer than I, I will have some guidance. I basically have one telephone conversation, and zero experience in this.

For my part, I received permission to make this post, and will be calling some other business owners to gauge interest. I'll also pool my donation with the group of other donors and help at least one player.

At this point, if anyone on here is interested in helping, it's a player by player deal, and if $30,000 is needed, a donation of $50 as an example, would be pooled together with other donations until the one player can be helped.

I'm just gauging interest at this point. This is actually going to take a lot of my time, of which I have little. There is zero profit motive by me. And I suspect if things start to progress, I would be granted permission to put individual donors in direct contact with others, up to and including coaches.

A very frank conversation. A pitcher came up. The DCI came up. The Cape Cod League came up. Again, if it gets to the point someone on here donates, you can have this conversation directly. Although I asked permission to share this, and it was granted, I'm really not comfortable naming a pitcher who just had his tuition handled, spelling out what happened at Cape Cod, what happened with Sam and Maryland, and what we both suspect triggered the DCI situation. I guess if there is a carrot and stick here, maybe you can have this conversation directly.

I have no idea where this is going to go, either on this board, or with me calling other business owners I know and asking if they'd be willing to support Hawkeye baseball NIL.

That's all I know for now. It moved pretty quickly. I reached out this morning, and just got off the telephone. I have mixed emotions, became this is going to cost me some time and money. But I also know just how far behind Iowa baseball NIL is, and just how much the team overperforms despite obstacles. I watched the end of the LSU game last night. One guy on that team gets $1MM. We're struggling between 10-20 guys to cover one player's tuition.

If anyone knows any Iowa Hawkeye baseball fans who might donate, I'm happy to meet with them and you.
Perhaps you could have a conversation with @Tx_Hawk, who runs Iowa Swarm for FB, MBB, WBB? He may be able to give you ideas on how best to proceed, not that it doesn't sound like nothing is happening.

Times have certainly changed, and IMO, not for the better. Collegiate sports are speeding more and more to unrestricted FA, except there is no cap and it looks to have become those that have unlimited "reaources" and those that don't.

Reactions: GHawk
Perhaps you could have a conversation with @Tx_Hawk, who runs Iowa Swarm for FB, MBB, WBB? He may be able to give you ideas on how best to proceed, not that it doesn't sound like nothing is happening.

Times have certainly changed, and IMO, not for the better. Collegiate sports are speeding more and more to unrestricted FA, except there is no cap and it looks to have become those that have unlimited "reaources" and those that don't.

Thanks. I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. What you suggest above has been done in the past, and will very likely be happening again.

Since I posted this some progress is being made.

At this point a team of volunteers is being built. We have one person who has agreed to help w/ web-site. One business owner, one attorney and one person who has volunteered to research and set up the operations side.

We could really use additional help right now. No one has been asked for money except for the current individual player NIL as briefly described above. An example would be an Iowa baseball fan who is a CPA. That would be huge right now.

Thanks. I was pretty frustrated when I posted this. What you suggest above has been done in the past, and will very likely be happening again.

Since I posted this some progress is being made.

At this point a team of volunteers is being built. We have one person who has agreed to help w/ web-site. One business owner, one attorney and one person who has volunteered to research and set up the operations side.

We could really use additional help right now. No one has been asked for money except for the current individual player NIL as briefly described above. An example would be an Iowa baseball fan who is a CPA. That would be huge right now.
I can only say good luck in this endeavor. Let us lowly masses know when and where we can donate once you have things up and running.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
I don't expect Chase back next season. I don't expect Hendo back either. so it's going to be an uphill battle.

Possible transfer making decision as early as today. Between Iowa and Boston College. He lives closer to the East Coast,

Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
I don't expect Chase back nest season. I don't expect Hendo back either. so it's going to be an uphill battle.

Possible transfer making decision as early as today. Between Iowa and Bostin College. He lives closer to teh East Coast,

Let's hope for the best.
Losing Hendo is really no loss in the big picture. He had some moments last year but we’ve added several better arms.

Losing Hendo is really no loss in the big picture. He had some moments last year but we’ve added several better arms.

He may not be a dominant overpowering reliever but he throws strikes (needed that desperately against UNC and ISU in Regional) and could throw more than one inning if needed. His funky delivery also creates issues for hitters.

Although not a true closer, he could have been a valuable contributor.

Boston College got the D2 player. Cam Caraher.

Some remaining transfer players left, but it’s basically over.

Iowa’s 2024 roster is set unless there are some huge surprises.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
How much movement is typical between 1st and 2nd semester? Is there even a portal period for baseball at that time?

I’m thinking it’s a little like football and spring practices. Kids see where they’re at during fall ball and might want to look for a better fit if they didn’t get the innings or at-bats they thought they would in the upcoming season.

I think the next window is Dec 1st - Dec 15th. But I believe, unless it's changed, a player needs to sit out the next season.

My understanding is that Cam Caraher was the last realistic opportunity that fits what Iowa was looking for.

Someone can correct me if I misunderstand.

I think the next window is Dec 1st - Dec 15th. But I believe, unless it's changed, a player needs to sit out the next season.
This is the correct answer . . . unless it involves a situation where a coach leaves the team.

Other than being a 1B/OF, I haven't read much on the guy (Budorick) from Harper College that they added yesterday (pretty sure it was yesterday).

I'm thinking that Cop and Guerin are the most likely candidates to fill the 1B and DH slots.

RF is interesting. If Gable Mitchell takes over at 2B, I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Wilmes is the starting RFer next year. Heller and crew seem to really like what he brings to the table.

My guess on likely starting candidates at this time:

C - Moss
1B - Cop (transfer)/Guerin
2B - Mitchell/Wilmes
SS - Seegers
3B - Tello
LF - Peterson
CF - Huckstorf
RF - Wilmes/Mulflur/Nelson
DH - Guerin/Cop (transfer)

P (Friday): Brecht
P (Saturday): Morgan
P (Sunday): Obermueller

Next candidates: Hogue (transfer), Voelker, Savary, Whitlock, Watts (transfer)

Pitching is deep. Unless a couple of bats emerge, next year's team may struggle to score runs. I don't think that the current roster can effectively replace the production that Anthony, Dorighi and Hojnar brought to the table this year.

The lineup next year will be just fine. Cop’s a middle of the order bat. Nelson can swing it. Many others back that will improve.

Other than being a 1B/OF, I haven't read much on the guy (Budorick) from Harper College that they added yesterday (pretty sure it was yesterday).

I'm thinking that Cop and Guerin are the most likely candidates to fill the 1B and DH slots.

RF is interesting. If Gable Mitchell takes over at 2B, I wouldn't be surprised if Ben Wilmes is the starting RFer next year. Heller and crew seem to really like what he brings to the table.

My guess on likely starting candidates at this time:

C - Moss
1B - Cop (transfer)/Guerin
2B - Mitchell/Wilmes
SS - Seegers
3B - Tello
LF - Peterson
CF - Huckstorf
RF - Wilmes/Mulflur/Nelson
DH - Guerin/Cop (transfer)

P (Friday): Brecht
P (Saturday): Morgan
P (Sunday): Obermueller

Next candidates: Hogue (transfer), Voelker, Savary, Whitlock, Watts (transfer)

Pitching is deep. Unless a couple of bats emerge, next year's team may struggle to score runs. I don't think that the current roster can effectively replace the production that Anthony, Dorighi and Hojnar brought to the table this year.

Any idea what Cop is like on the bases? Guerin is going to be slow just due to his size.

Any idea what Cop is like on the bases? Guerin is going to be slow just due to his size.

Given that he was primarily a catcher last year, I presumed that he was not particularly fleet of foot. Just checked his stat line for the year. 1-6 in stolen base attempts.

Given that he was primarily a catcher last year, I presumed that he was not particularly fleet of foot. Just checked his stat line for the year. 1-6 in stolen base attempts.
We'll all know more after fall ball, but if you asked me, and I'm no expert, we really need one more bat, and one more bat that is a decent baserunner. I think you've posted something similar. I could be overthinking the base running part.

I believe one of our bats has an injury. We'll also need to know how that is going to play out.

We'll all know more after fall ball, but if you asked me, and I'm no expert, we really need one more bat, and one more bat that is a decent baserunner. I think you've posted something similar. I could be overthinking the base running part.

I believe one of our bats has an injury. We'll also need to know how that is going to play out.

Keaton Anthony: .389 BA; .505 OBP; 9 HRs; 38 RBIs; .701 SLG; 22 Doubles
Brennan Dorighi: .348 BA; .469 OBP; 15 HRs; 67 RBIs; .634 SLG; 19 Doubles; 9-11 SBs
Sam Hojnar: .255 BA; .339 OBP; 10 HRs; 59 RBIs; .471 SLG; 13 Doubles; 11-11 SBs

That's a ton of production that is no longer in the dugout.

If Gable Mitchell is in the lineup, he brings some really good speed. In 41 games for LaCrosse this summer, he has 18 SBs. Decent BA; strong OBP; singles/doubles type. Not a HR guy.

If Guerin is in the lineup, he'll get his fair share of HRs; good power. 6 HR in 25 games this summer. .506 SLG; .390 OBP; .281 BA. 25 hits - 2 doubles and 6 home runs. Needs to cut down on his Ks (24 Ks in 25 games).

Hopefully Cop can replicate what he did at Utah. He didn't put up numbers that rival Anthony, Dorighi or Hojnar but they are decent. Just in Pac-12 play (30 games), he hit .333 BA; .410 OBP; .504 SLG; 4 HR and 27 RBI; 8 doubles.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT