ADVERTISEMENT

2025 MBB Recruiting Thread

Iowa offered Jalen Haralson on July 9, 2022.

His thoughts on Iowa:

“It’s been cool, I reached out to them in the summer. They were recruiting me and Trent (Sisley) kind of at the same time during EYBL. We’ve talked to them a couple of times and are still trying to get down there for a visit, too. Coach (Fran) McCaffrey is at the top in scoring every year and he lets his players play, and I love that. Coach (Sherman) Dillard is the main guy I reach out to.”

The full story:

Reactions: perryhawk

It's officially AAU season. Next weekend is the first "live" recruiting weekend of the spring. I'll put something together similar to what I did last year with who targets are playing for, circuit info, and trying to track who coaches are watching. I'll actually be watching Jack next weekend as the Adidas circuit will be in Omaha next weekend. Cooper Koch's Indiana Elite team will also be there. So since I'll be in the gym at least a couple days, I may not be posting as many tweets about who the coaches are watching.

2025 Offers/Prospects visits this weekend:

'25 PF Trent Sisley: Indiana, UV
'25 CG Jalen Haralson: Indiana, UV

'25 PF Davis Kern: Iowa, UV (Linn-Mar)
'25 SG Jalen Wilson: Iowa, UV (Minneapolis)
So what would happen if all of these guys would commit? At least 4 or 5 are 6'5 to 6'7 and 200=210 lb. don't need that many do we?

So what would happen if all of these guys would commit? At least 4 or 5 are 6'5 to 6'7 and 200=210 lb. don't need that many do we?
Well, usually in recruiting once a guy or 2 commits for a position a team will rescind their scholarship offers to others in that class. Often times folks here will refer to that as "uncommittable offers" or "he's not a take." That's also how Iowa can have 20+ offers out in the 2024 class for hoops with only 2-4 scholarships actually available.

And while that may sound mean for the kid who gets their offer revoked, it's usually mutual since guys want to go where they can play--most know that a basketball program will only take 1-2 guys at each position for a class.

I have learned not to get too excited about Iowa basketball recruiting. There are some surprises but many second-place finishes.

Reactions: Ronman
I have learned not to get too excited about Iowa basketball recruiting. There are some surprises but many second-place finishes.
Let me ask you a question-- Doesn't the idea of Iowa finishing 2nd to schools like Duke, North Carolina, Tennessee, etc indicate that Fran is going after the right type of guys? I think Bill Self said it best, "If I'm not losing out on more recruits than I am getting that means that I'm not scouting the right type of players."

And let's not pretend that Iowa hasn't been somewhat successful on the recruiting trail lately--they just haven't gotten the high 4 and 5-star guys they've been deep on. Just going off TOS here since they have an "All-time basketball recruits" tab that's easy to follow, these players are ranked as the highest ranked recruits Iowa has ever landed since they started ranking kids (2003ish):
Cooper Koch #4
Pryce Sandfort #6
Dasonte Bowen #13
Josh Dix #14
Ladji Dembele #15

So 1/3 of the top 15 all-time ranked recruits have come from the '22-'24 class. And that doesn't even include Freeman, who maybe had the best offer list out of anyone listed.

Let me ask you a question-- Doesn't the idea of Iowa finishing 2nd to schools like Duke, North Carolina, Tennessee, etc indicate that Fran is going after the right type of guys? I think Bill Self said it best, "If I'm not losing out on more recruits than I am getting that means that I'm not scouting the right type of players."

And let's not pretend that Iowa hasn't been somewhat successful on the recruiting trail lately--they just haven't gotten the high 4 and 5-star guys they've been deep on. Just going off TOS here since they have an "All-time basketball recruits" tab that's easy to follow, these players are ranked as the highest ranked recruits Iowa has ever landed since they started ranking kids (2003ish):
Cooper Koch #4
Pryce Sandfort #6
Dasonte Bowen #13
Josh Dix #14
Ladji Dembele #15

So 1/3 of the top 15 all-time ranked recruits have come from the '22-'24 class. And that doesn't even include Freeman, who maybe had the best offer list out of anyone listed.

Not sure you should be quoting a coach like Bill Self, who was about as corrupt as they came before NIL. After all, the NCAA charged Bill Self with THREE Level 1 (most serious) violations, alleging he was in on the Adidas scheme.

I agree with you that Fran has done a good job in recruiting.

So, the top 15 all time list only includes kids who committed to and played at Iowa during the Alford, Lickliter and McCaffery eras, correct (from 2003)? Is Luka Garza #1? Keegan should be #2, but it appears it's the ranking coming out of high school. Hell, I think any poster on here could have recruited as well as Lick. Did any of his recruits make the list? I guess he did convince Dev Marble to sign.... ;)

Cooper Koch #4
Pryce Sandfort #6
Dasonte Bowen #13
Josh Dix #14
Ladji Dembele #15

I will have to see about those five players when they get on the court.

I will have to see about those five players when they get on the court.
I mean sure, but what exactly is your complaint then? I read your complaint as Fran isn't landing highly rated, competitive recruits--which is partially true, but again the recruiting has seen an uptick in 4-star prospects overall the past few years. They've just been in on some 5-star guys late in the process who then decide to go elsewhere.

If we are including actual playing on the court, some of those highly rated recruits that it sounds like you're upset we lost out on also have either not panned out yet or haven't played a second of college hoops either. Guys like Xavier Foster, Jamari Sibley, Tyler Nickel all seemed like big misses at the time, and then in hindsight they haven't really shown that well on the court.

Not sure you should be quoting a coach like Bill Self, who was about as corrupt as they came before NIL. After all, the NCAA charged Bill Self with THREE Level 1 (most serious) violations, alleging he was in on the Adidas scheme.

I agree with you that Fran has done a good job in recruiting.

So, the top 15 all time list only includes kids who committed to and played at Iowa during the Alford, Lickliter and McCaffery eras, correct (from 2003)? Is Luka Garza #1? Keegan should be #2, but it appears it's the ranking coming out of high school. Hell, I think any poster on here could have recruited as well as Lick. Did any of his recruits make the list? I guess he did convince Dev Marble to sign.... ;)
It includes rating at the end of the class being finalized so play in college does not effect the rating. Here is the top 15:

1. Tyler Smith
2. Joe Weiskamp
3. Adam Woodberry
4. Cooper Koch
5. Patrick McCaffery
6. Pryce Sandfort
7. Tyler Cook
8. Mike Gesell
9. Matt Gatens
10. Alex Thompson
11. JR Angle
12. Luka Garza
13. Dasonte Bowen
14. Josh Dix
15. Ladji Dembele

Reactions: Max_Rebo
I mean sure, but what exactly is your complaint then? I read your complaint as Fran isn't landing highly rated, competitive recruits--which is partially true, but again the recruiting has seen an uptick in 4-star prospects overall the past few years. They've just been in on some 5-star guys late in the process who then decide to go elsewhere.

If we are including actual playing on the court, some of those highly rated recruits that it sounds like you're upset we lost out on also have either not panned out yet or haven't played a second of college hoops either. Guys like Xavier Foster, Jamari Sibley, Tyler Nickel all seemed like big misses at the time, and then in hindsight they haven't really shown that well on the court.
When will we see some NCAA tourney wins?

When will we see some NCAA tourney wins?
That's a completely different conversation than the one we started with. You were complaining about finishing second to high level recruits. When I responded with some information that says the last few classes have been rated highly you then diverted the conversation again to a different talking point about waiting to see how they play. Are you just incapable of staying on topic or are you just looking for something to complain about?
Can anyone have any honest conversation about Iowa basketball without it always diverting to the same talking points? Everyone here wants to win in the tournament. Everyone. We don't need to have the same conversation that's been had on this board for the millionth time.

It includes rating at the end of the class being finalized so play in college does not effect the rating. Here is the top 15:

1. Tyler Smith
2. Joe Weiskamp
3. Adam Woodberry
4. Cooper Koch
5. Patrick McCaffery
6. Pryce Sandfort
7. Tyler Cook
8. Mike Gesell
9. Matt Gatens
10. Alex Thompson
11. JR Angle
12. Luka Garza
13. Dasonte Bowen
14. Josh Dix
15. Ladji Dembele
Good list, which shows Fran has done better recruiting than some want to believe. This list leaves off at least 3 guys who were as good as anyone on the list--the Murray twins and White.

There is some truth to Fran being in on some of the very top recruits early, only to lose out to a blue blood at the end, but I believe that has more to do with what the school has to offer than Fran.

Iowa is showing interest in Daithi Quinn, a 6'4 guard out of Marion, MA. Note below that he's been a stand out so far in AAU play.

His AAU team is the BABC.

BABC Connection: Dasonte Bowen (2022), Josh Ogundele (2020) & Iowa Assistant Coach Courtney Eldridge (1998) are all part of BABC.

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkHoops80
Iowa offered 6'7 SG Jalen Haralson on July 9, 2022.

His AAU team for 2023 is Indy Heat (Trent Sisley and Jalen Haralson are AAU teammates)

Sherman Dillard watched his AAU game on April 22, 2023.

Regarding his recruitment:

Which schools do you feel are the most involved in your recruitment?

“Indiana, Gonzaga, Duke, Purdue, UConn, Iowa, Auburn, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and some others.”

Any new schools?

“No, not really. Every school has been recruiting me for a lengthy time now.”

Visits, you can start taking officials soon, any schools on your mind?

“Every school that’s heavily in touch with me has had a conversation about an official visit. I don’t know what schools yet, but be ready for me to take them when I am allowed to.”

And how would you best break down your game?

“I’m a big guard that can score at all three levels and get my teammates involved. I feel like I’m the best in the country with my size, speed, and IQ.”

The Full story:

We are just 3 days away from the start of the contact period.

At midnight on June 15th, 2025 prospects will start hearing from college coaches. You can expect plenty of offers to be extended.

Iowa has extended 15 offers so far for the Class of 2025.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Iowa offered 6'11 PF Malachi Moreno on August 24, 2022. He was offer #7 of the 15 total offers Fran has given out for the 2025 class.

He unofficially visited Oct 2, 2022 (Michigan game).

His AAU team is Indiana Elite (Malachi and Dezmon Briscoe, another 2025 prospect who Iowa has also offered, are AAU teammates). Fran and Matt Gatens watched their AAU game on April 22, 2023.

Malachi and Cooper Koch were two of the 20 that Adidas selected to go to Italy as part of their Eurocamp.

This article says Malachi is 7'1. As you will read, during the first session of the Adidas 3SSB, Moreno averaged nearly 13.5 points, 10.5 boards, and 3 blocks per game. The schools heavily involved in his recruitment: “Kentucky, Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame, Michigan, Iowa, Arkansas, Michigan State, Xavier, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Mizzou, Tennessee, and Louisville.”

The full story:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT