ADVERTISEMENT

24-man IA high school State brackets approved

I love the new state dual scheduling, day before individual was bad for many reasons and week after is not feasible now because the massive AAU tournament is at Wells that weekend and damned near every ref in the state is needed for that.
Priorities.

To put things into perspective there are about 3,900 High Schools in CA (the most in the country)and 1 state tournament with a 32-man bracket. 14 state champs and that’s it.
Any idea what the spread between school sizes are? It would be nice to at least have class sizes. But that is big thing to say I was Cali state champ, especially if you do it multiple times.

Any idea what the spread between school sizes are? It would be nice to at least have class sizes. But that is big thing to say I was Cali state champ, especially if you do it multiple times.
The average HS in CA is a tad under 1500 students. The HS I went to had about 1100 kids in my senior class alone. Pretty friggin’ crowded.

Reactions: el dub
The average HS in CA is a tad under 1500 students. The HS I went to had about 1100 kids in my senior class alone. Pretty friggin’ crowded.
Iowa has 42 state champs every year and 336 kids reach the podium. Pretty freaking crowded.

A kid in Iowa can be a state champ and the 5th or sixth best at that weight in the state overall. That’s pretty watered down when considering college potential.

Last edited:
Iowa has 42 state champs every year and 336 kids reach the podium. Pretty freaking crowded.

A kid in Iowa can be a state champ and the 5th or sixth best in the state overall. That’s pretty watered down when considering college potential.
I would rather have higher participation overall, whichever model promotes the most kids wrestling is the right answer. National level results and post season accolades are already the measuring stick for college recruiting now anyway.

I would rather have higher participation overall, whichever model promotes the most kids wrestling is the right answer. National level results and post season accolades are already the measuring stick for college recruiting now anyway.
That makes sense from participation perspective. Unfortunately many around these parts don’t understand that concept and think participation prizes should lead to success at next level. It also means that in state recruiting should be taken with a grain of salt.

That’s a National level number, though, and in some areas fielding fourteen man rosters is not difficult. In fact, when my son was in HS in NJ, especially in the middle weights, there were often good wrestlers sitting on the bench. Forfeits were a rarity, even though the elite wrestlers left their public schools in favor of one of the dozen or so wrestling factories.

What they have always needed to do is center the weights class near 140 - 150 pounds, with fewer classes at the upper and lower levels. Instead, ten years ago they removed a weight class where all the good wrestlers are, and added an upper weight class where coaches already struggled to fill rosters. If weight classes aligned with our growth charts, filling the classes would not be so difficult.
This is just too smart.. (also, the same reason i advocate for a 215ish weight in college :) )

Reactions: Spoons
This is just too smart.. (also, the same reason i advocate for a 215ish weight in college :) )
When I was in HS the national weights jumped from 189 to 275. I recall 200 pound “heavies” getting absolutely crushed by 265 pound monsters. Some very good wrestlers that I knew who outgrew 189, but didn’t want to compete at HWT quit the sport. The 215 pound class bridged that gap significantly.

I’d like to see them scrap the dual tourney and run an official Corn King state championship, winner takes all, suckas…. (With weight allowances.)

Go win the Corn King Invite four times and become a state legend.

The one positive is when you have a sectional/ district with 3 or 4 ranked wrestlers and only 2 get in. That's tough. Then on the other hand you see other qualifiers with losing records get in out of weak districts and this system will allow more of these kids get in.

ADVERTISEMENT