ADVERTISEMENT

25 hidden gems in the US you should visit at least once.

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
25 must-visit hidden gems from across the US.

From big cities to iconic national monuments to well-known tourist traps, there's no shortage of popular vacation destinations within the United States. However, sometimes the most memorable trips happen when you seek out unexpected, under-the-radar spots that you never would've known about without some prior research.

For instance, although the U.S. is home to 63 national parks, famous ones like Yellowstone National Park and Grand Canyon National Park tend to get the lion's share of tourist attention. On your next excursion, why not try an underrated gem like New Mexico's White Sands National Park or Arizona's Petrified Forest National Park?

Even if nature isn't your scene, there are plenty of other underrated activities across the country that deserve to go on your bucket list, from Indianapolis' City Market Catacombs to the interactive art within Santa Fe's Meow Wolf.

Still, finding those under-the-radar gems can amount to quite a bit of work. So to help you get started, Stacker has compiled a list of 25 must-visit hidden gems from across the United States, using travel guides, news articles, national park and company websites, and more. Read on to find out where your next unexpected yet great vacation could be. You can thank us later!

Going up the Fenelon Place Elevator in Dubuque, Iowa
Located within the town of Dubuque, Iowa, the Fenelon Place Elevator has been dubbed the world's "shortest, steepest, scenic railway." A $3 round trip gives visitors panoramic views of the Mississippi River and three surrounding states: Iowa, Illinois, and Wisconsin.

AA1lU9Lu.img

Reactions: h-hawk and LuteHawk
Our family has been to three of these hidden gems:
1. Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota
2. Devil's Tower in Wyoming
3. Mackinac Island in Michigan

I would heartily recommend Mackinac Island. It is
a wonderful experience you will not forget.

Last edited:
No clue how the corn palace makes a list like this. It’s got to be one of the most boring tourist traps in the US. Many of the other places on that list look fun or beautiful.

Our family has been to three of these hidden gems:
1. Corn Palace in Mitchell, South Dakota
2. Devil's Tower in Wyoming
3. Mackinac Island in Michigan

I would heartily recommend Mackinac Island. It is
a wonderful experience you will not forget.

From that list, I’ve been to:

1)The mermaid statues of Solvang
2) White Sands NP
3) The Corn Palace In Mitchell, South Dakota
4) Seaside Florida
5) Ruby Falls TN
6) Wild Horses on Assateague Island
7) Devil’s Tower in Wyoming
8) Millionaire Village on Jekyll Island
9) Oz Museum in Kansas
10) Grandfather Mountains mile high bridge in NC
11) Petrified Forest NP in Arizona
12) Antelope Canyon in Arizona (sidenote, I don’t know what AI bot or Social Media see of feet wide in parts)

Of the 12, I‘d say most of them were not amazing. My personal take on the 12 is that White Sands NP IS Amazing as I’ve been there twice, once when it was only a National Monument. And I’d say that’s a 10/10 experience.

Antelope Canyon is probably second best on the list if you’re a photographer. I got some absolutely amazing shots as there’s lots of cool features with interesting lighting throughout the slot cavern. I’d even say from a photography standpoint it’s probably my second favorite spot after Goblin Valley. So that’s a 10/10 if you’re a photog. But if you’re not, you’ll find it small boring and unimpressive so only a 5 to at most 7 out of 10 for normies.

Seaside is one my favorite small Florida coastal towns. Nearby Alys Beach, Grayton Beach, Blue Mountain Beach, Seagrove, Seacrest, and Santa Clara Beach are all fantastic as well. If you want pure snow beaches, decent fishing and not a lot else to do, THIS is your resting area. I’d give it a 9/10 just needing more restaurants and bars plus something else besides the water to do to get to a 10.

The Oz Museum in Kansas plus the neighboring winery, brewery and little town are surprisingly pleasant. If you’re even mildly interested in the movies and books you’ll enjoy a quick stop there. It’s probably the second best thing to do in Kansas although that’s not saying much. I‘d give it an 8/10.

Grandfather Mountain is nice but unexceptional. Theres better spots in NC. 7/10

Assateague Island is nice…if you’ve never been to the far better island of wild ponies, Cumberland Island. A trip to Assateague is a 7/10 experience. But a trip to St Mary’s Georgia plus camping or renting a ridiculously expensive room in the only inn there is a 10/10.

The Petrified Forest NP is okay but doesn’t live Up to other NP. It’s definitely better than Guadalupe Mountains NP or Congaree NP but is forgettable like Death Valley NP. 5/10

The Corn Palace and Millionaire’s Island are worth a stop for photos and that’s about It. 3/10.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT