ADVERTISEMENT

The Most Beloved BBQ Joint in Every State (Get There Early for #43!)

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
When you think of the best BBQ, what comes to mind? Perhaps it’s a local joint with a family secret recipe spice rub or where they slow-cook it for hours overnight and run out halfway through the dinner rush the next day.

Succulent BBQ requires a good sauce, the best atmosphere, and the perfect selection of sides. While every region has its own unique taste, only a few can rise to the top of the pack.

If you’re looking to step up your travel game and visit the best BBQ joints in the U.S..

I'm just going to skip ahead to Iowa

Iowa: Jethro's BBQ
Jethro’s BBQ in Des Moines is one of seven locations frequented by BBQ lovers for its intensely flavored menu of good food cooked from scratch.
The menu is huge, but some favorites include slow-smoked wings and the slow-smoked baby back pork ribs. Other options, like the Red Beans and Nice Rice and Smokehouse Jambalaya, are the filling meals you need after a long day.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
When you think of the best BBQ, what comes to mind? Perhaps it’s a local joint with a family secret recipe spice rub or where they slow-cook it for hours overnight and run out halfway through the dinner rush the next day.

Succulent BBQ requires a good sauce, the best atmosphere, and the perfect selection of sides. While every region has its own unique taste, only a few can rise to the top of the pack.

If you’re looking to step up your travel game and visit the best BBQ joints in the U.S..

Jethro’s BBQ in Des Moines is one of seven locations frequented by BBQ lovers for its intensely flavored menu of good food cooked from scratch.
The menu is huge, but some favorites include slow-smoked wings and the slow-smoked baby back pork ribs. Other options, like the Red Beans and Nice Rice and Smokehouse Jambalaya, are the filling meals you need after a long day.

I‘m a relatively frequent traveler and the things I always look for are 1) local bbq if any, 2) local pizza if any, 3) local seafood if any and 4) regional specialties or ethnic specialties if there is a big unusual population in the area like Ethiopian in DC or Greek in Tarpon Springs. I haven’t had bbq in every state but definitely all of the typical bbq map areas and most of the rest (not Iowa, I haven’t been to Iowa, Indiana or Nebraska enough to formulate an opinion). And I disagree with most of their selections.

The only states I agree with 100% are Alabama for Big Bob Gibson (one of the best in the country and THE best for bbq chicken), Kansas for Joe’s and Maryland for Chap’s Pit Beef.

Rodney Scott’s for South Carolina, Jones for Arkansas and Franklins for Texas aren’t bad selections although I disagree with them and think there are more than one place better in each state.

Cornbread in Ames is just as good if not better. Jethro’s is ok, nothing special but I do like their wings, bone in or boneless. What Ya Smokin in Luther, IA is really good too.

Cornbread has really good smoked Turkey. Not dry at all. I was a fan.

Haha Jerhro's? Come on man.

Regardless of what you think of the owner their bbq sucks.
Sucks is overstating it, but you're not wrong to pan it. Bland and forgettable but edible. Worthy if you're hammered which was always my reason for visiting Jethro's (lived walking distance from Waukee and Drake locations first 7 years I lived in Des Moines area). I will defend the Jethro's jalapeno cream corn. That ish is good.

Sucks is overstating it, but you're not wrong to pan it. Bland and forgettable but edible. Worthy if you're hammered which was always my reason for visiting Jethro's (lived walking distance from Waukee and Drake locations first 7 years I lived in Des Moines area). I will defend the Jethro's jalapeno cream corn. That ish is good.
That is true. The bbq is terrible I’ll stand by that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT