NW
Minny
ILL
PU
MSU
Md
RU
IU
What a long list of non-contenders for anything thses giant leagues now feature.
Happy to be in top third of the BIG right now.
Can we hang in there?

So Hawks are behind only:

Oregon
OSU
Mich
Wash
PSU

in the BIG in the preseason ratings?
Nowhere to be found:
Wis
USC
UCLA
Neb
NW
Minny
ILL
PU
MSU
Md
RU
IU
What a long list of non-contenders for anything thses giant leagues now feature.
Can we hang in there?
Playing Washington at home is huge They lose a LOT

So Hawks are behind only:

Oregon
OSU
Mich
Wash
PSU

Nowhere to be found:
Wis
USC
UCLA
Neb
NW
Minny
ILL
PU
MSU
Md
RU
IU
Can we hang in there?
I think they can. There was a perception early that without divisions and with the bigger conference that Iowa would get squashed with a much harder schedule. That’s not really going to be the case. They’ll play top dogs a little more often, but it’s not like they’re going to go into every season with Michigan, OSU, PSU, USC, Oregon, Washington on the schedule plus the 3 protected games.

Looking at next year’s schedule, if we assume a vaguely competent offense, a very good D and solid special teams, I’d put all of their non-con games in the “winnable“ bucket and then for conference games:

Likely wins: @Minnesota, @MSU, Northwestern, Maryland
Toss-ups: Washington, Wisconsin, @UCLA, Nebraska
Likely Losses: @OSU

That might be generous giving Nebraska “toss-up” status, but Rhule should have them improved. Maryland loses a lot this year. If Iowa splits the toss-up games, that’s a 6-3 conference record and a good shot at 9-3 overall. If they somehow steal the OSU game or swing more than a split in the toss-up games, then they’ll have a shot at the playoffs.

I’m sticking with 8-4 for my prediction next season.

Arizona (9) and Utah (13) highest ranked Big 12 teams ahead of Oklahoma State (18), K-State (21) and Kansas (23).

going to depending on who Iowa brings in at OC. Someone the press likes, it will be 12-17ish, otherwise it will be borderline 25. The schedule is not a world beater by any means though.

Ranking here is primarily a belief that DC Phil Parker will continue to field a highly ranked defense and an assumption that a new OC can at least moderately improve offensive production. Hard to argue against this reasoning.

New OC needs to ensure the new Offense is nowhere nsar as "complicated" as the old...

The Athletic has you at No. 22. They have ISU at No. 23.

"As Kirk Ferentz sets out to revive his woeful offense, he gets back QB Cade McNamara and TE Luke Lachey from injuries to go with RB Leshon Williams (821 yards) and the entire O-line. He needs to add some WRs. The Hawkeyes’ stingy defense loses All-American DB Cooper DeJean but gets back LB Jay Higgins (171 tackles), DE Deontae Craig, DT Yahya Black and S Sebastian Castro. Punter Tory Taylor is a notable loss."

OTHERS OF NOTE
1. Georgia
2. Alabama
3. Oregon
4. Ohio State
6. Michigan
7. Washington
18. Penn State

Fair accessment where we'll begin. This should be one of the best defenses Parker has coached. It will be interesting to see how Iowa performs when they have to play out West. They have really struggled out there.

Fair accessment where we'll begin. This should be one of the best defenses Parker has coached. It will be interesting to see how Iowa performs when they have to play out West. They have really struggled out there.
The whole B1G has a bad track record going west. I have to think that over time, doing it more often will make it less of a disadvantage and they’ll figure out the right ways to deal with it.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Nowhere to be found:
Wis
USC
UCLA
Neb
NW
Minny
ILL
PU
MSU
Md
RU
IU
Can we hang in there?
Don't forget - all those teams are dogmeat on a stick according to this Board. They probably couldn't win games in the FCS.

:rolleyes:

Despite the fact that most of this Board has NO respect for Iowa, it's nice to see that ESPN does.

BTW, only 5 SEC teams made the Top 25. I guess somebody is gonna get fired. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT