ADVERTISEMENT

OL Recruiting

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Hawks have been agressive bringing in OL for spring practice visits. Brooks, Herron and Heath for Swarm 25 and Nielsen for Swarm 26. Some posters on this board have dissed Barnett but everything I've heard or read says he is liked by the players and a good recruiter. FWIW, the cupboard was pretty empty with injuries, early departures and poor recruiting.

He has brought in a few four star recruits the last two years. Fingers crossed that he lands another good class and turns our OL play around this fall.

Hawks have been agressive bringing in OL for spring practice visits. Brooks, Herron and Heath for Swarm 25 and Nielsen for Swarm 26. Some posters on this board have dissed Barnett but everything I've heard or read says he is liked by the players and a good recruiter. FWIW, the cupboard was pretty empty with injuries, early departures and poor recruiting.

He has brought in a few four star recruits the last two years. Fingers crossed that he lands another good class and turns our OL play around this fall.
Two things:

1. Iowa can’t be successful on offense unless they can run the football. I honestly believe pass protection improved a lot, especially with Plumb gone. No, I’m not saying it was good; I’m saying it went from atrocious to mediocre. The problem has been run blocking. That has never been good under Barnett, and I have no idea what the solution is. All I know is Kirk’s offense will always be complete trash if they can’t figure out how to run the football.

2. You cannot have a statue at quarterback. I don’t care how good your OL is. If your quarterback is immobile and has no pocket awareness, it’s going to make the OL look even worse than they already are. In short, Lainez has to be the next in line if Cade can’t stay healthy. Deacon Hill doesn’t work, and this ridiculous notion that he “takes care of the football” has been clearly disillusioned to anyone paying attention.

Two things:

1. Iowa can’t be successful on offense unless they can run the football. I honestly believe pass protection improved a lot, especially with Plumb gone. No, I’m not saying it was good; I’m saying it went from atrocious to mediocre. The problem has been run blocking. That has never been good under Barnett, and I have no idea what the solution is. All I know is Kirk’s offense will always be complete trash if they can’t figure out how to run the football.

2. You cannot have a statue at quarterback. I don’t care how good your OL is. If your quarterback is immobile and has no pocket awareness, it’s going to make the OL look even worse than they already are. In short, Lainez has to be the next in line if Cade can’t stay healthy. Deacon Hill doesn’t work, and this ridiculous notion that he “takes care of the football” has been clearly disillusioned to anyone paying attention.
And let's face it, Deac was not good under pressure, so what did teams do? Bring pressure. And it never looked to me like we kept guys in to help out, we just blocked like normal.

Remember watching Saville and McNutt and McNutt talking about how we had situations with receivers lined up one on one so the receiver should have advantage, but never seemed to throw into that type of situation.

I don’t believe this to be true. Richman, Colby, Stephens, Dunker, Jones and Elsbury were all highly thought of as recruits. They just haven’t improved much. They don’t have a true OT in the group. That, in part, can be explained with Proctor and Davidkof’s departures.

When everything appears broken it is difficult to ascertain the quality of any unit on the offensive side of the ball. It's hard to evaluate the individuals on the oline when they aren't set up for success through effective schemes and playcalling. I would have been more than happy to see Barnett replaced along with Brian and Copeland, but he got another year so we'll see what happens.

All of these guys are now in their 4th and 5th years in the program, 4th under Barnett. There will never be a more veteran group of olinemen on the field at Iowa. If we see the same lapses on pass pro and inability to move the ball on the ground this year, he's failed in his role and it's time to move on. Don't care what the recruiting class looks like at that point.

Last edited:
And let's face it, Deac was not good under pressure, so what did teams do? Bring pressure. And it never looked to me like we kept guys in to help out, we just blocked like normal.

Remember watching Saville and McNutt and McNutt talking about how we had situations with receivers lined up one on one so the receiver should have advantage, but never seemed to throw into that type of situation.
“Brian is a big, fat dipshit.”

The whole "KF is an O-Line guru" and Iowa is a running team is just not true. We have been a bottom dweller Big Ten Rushing team for almost a decade now including a year when we were dead last. The system, recruiting and coaching has not worked. We line up with 2 tight ends and a godd*mn fullback and still can not run the ball.

If you ask KF he will say they just need to execute better. Clean some things up.

I don’t believe this to be true. Richman, Colby, Stephens, Dunker, Jones and Elsbury were all highly thought of as recruits. They just haven’t improved much. They don’t have a true OT in the group. That, in part, can be explained with Proctor and Davidkof’s departures.
Not disagreeing with you, I'm just baffled it wasn't recognized by someone on the staff and made a priority. I know, easier said than done, other needs etc.

Richman hurt every year, Stephens and Jones out last year. Can't build a cohesive line when the parts keep changing.

I posted this in another thread, but on paper our OL recruiting is pretty good. A number of 4 star guys have not developed but we seem to be bringing in talent.

Reactions: Torg and PNWHawk
I posted this in another thread, but on paper our OL recruiting is pretty good. A number of 4 star guys have not developed but we seem to be bringing in talent.

Doyle is the missing key. His methods may have been tough, but he developed strength and quickness.

Aiden Stensrud from Lake Mills is visiting this weekend. He currently plays Center and has length.

Both his Grandpas played in the NFL. His Dad played in the CFL and probably would have become a legitimate TE NFL prospect had Dan McCarney not tried to make him an offensive lineman. They all went to Iowa State. Aiden is very open. ISU, NDSU and SDSU have an interest.
He is a smart, athletic prospect . He fits what we look for, a team player and hard working.

Doyle is the missing key. His methods may have been tough, but he developed strength and quickness.
Want to agree with you on this as the offense has been lacking since Doyle left. On the other hand, everyone says well the Defense hasn't. But I don't think you can compare the two in the same way. Offensive strength and quickness in my opinion is different.

Want to agree with you on this as the offense has been lacking since Doyle left. On the other hand, everyone says well the Defense hasn't. But I don't think you can compare the two in the same way. Offensive strength and quickness in my opinion is different.
I understand the game has changed to more of a contain type thing, but our DL does not blow up OL's like it used to. I am not going to look it up, but it seems as though sacks, hurries and batted balls at the los are down. Again, I understand that the need to contain comes first, but even when we pin our ears back, we are not getting there like we used to. (I am a big believer in ringing the bell and getting in the qb's head)

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This has been one of the main things wrong with the Offense. They had a couple bad years of recruiting on the OL. People didn't pan out or got out of football or transferred. It left the cupboard really bare. Relying on Plumb and Dejong as your only upperclassmen and throwing kids that weren't ready into the fire. HEre are 3 years of absolute missing on the OL recruiting trail.

2018 Cody INce
Jeff Jenkins

2019 Justin Britt
Noah Fenske
Tyler Endres
Exra Miller

2020 Volk
Elsbury

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
People keep saying “recruiting misses” as if the evaluation is to blame. I agree to an extent but when they haven’t had a “hit” since Linderbaum is it evaluations or development that is the issue?

Many of the guys listed plus ‘21 and ‘22 classes had multiple offers so I don’t think their evaluations have been terrible, which leads me to believe it’s the development that is lacking.

I understand the game has changed to more of a contain type thing, but our DL does not blow up OL's like it used to. I am not going to look it up, but it seems as though sacks, hurries and batted balls at the los are down. Again, I understand that the need to contain comes first, but even when we pin our ears back, we are not getting there like we used to. (I am a big believer in ringing the bell and getting in the qb's head)
5 straight years of top 10 defenses would suggest that everyone, including the defensive line is doing exactly what they've been asked to do at a high level.

5 straight years of top 10 defenses would suggest that everyone, including the defensive line is doing exactly what they've been asked to do at a high level.
Contain and have a stellar back side. Like I said when we pin our ears back, we are not getting there like we used to. Again, I am not going to look it all up, but just watching the games and seeing other teams convert on 3rd and 5 plus, at a higher rate then what we used to allow tells a person that.

Regarding Barnett...I refuse to believe he's worth a shit when DeJong gets playing time, much less starting.

And for anyone that says the top 5 guys start...that's a testimony to how pathetic the backups must be.

• Haha
Contain and have a stellar back side. Like I said when we pin our ears back, we are not getting there like we used to. Again, I am not going to look it all up, but just watching the games and seeing other teams convert on 3rd and 5 plus, at a higher rate then what we used to allow tells a person that.
You're not going to look it up and yet you state your opinons as if they are facts. I use stats to assess things. Iowa allowed 5.1 yards per passing attempt all year. That was good for 2nd in the country. Iowa allowed a 31% 3rd down conversion rate. That was good for 16th in the country. Stats suggest you're not seeing other teams convert at a higher rate on 3rd and 5 plus.

• Love
Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
You're not going to look it up and yet you state your opinons as if they are facts. I use stats to assess things. Iowa allowed 5.1 yards per passing attempt all year. That was good for 2nd in the country. Iowa allowed a 31% 3rd down conversion rate. That was good for 16th in the country. Stats suggest you're not seeing other teams convert at a higher rate on 3rd and 5 plus.
Yeah against who? Seems to me if we play anyone in the top 25 they pretty much march up and down the field on us. So your stats are a little skewed when you factor those stats in. BUT we used to be able to get off the field against just about anyone if it was 3rd and 5 plus. Here look up this stat since you like them so much and do not believe my opinion. In the last 5 years how many yards per game have we given up against top 25 teams? The years before that? It is common sense dude, our DL practices against our OL.

Yeah against who? Seems to me if we play anyone in the top 25 they pretty much march up and down the field on us. So your stats are a little skewed when you factor those stats in. BUT we used to be able to get off the field against just about anyone if it was 3rd and 5 plus. Here look up this stat since you like them so much and do not believe my opinion. In the last 5 years how many yards per game have we given up against top 25 teams? The years before that? It is common sense dude, our DL practices against our OL.
With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: RothMatt
With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Prove it with facts then buddy. I said, sacks, hurries and tipped balls at the los are down and you come back with some crap about how our total defense is ranked. You bring up how well we do defending the pass AND I said we contain with a stellar back end. Seems to me you do not know what you are talking about and or your reading comp is for crap.

Last edited:
Prove it with facts then buddy. I said, sacks, hurries and tipped balls at the los are down and you come back with some crap about how our total defense is ranked. You bring up how well we do defending the pass AND I said we contain with a stellar back end. Seems to me you do not know what you are talking about and or your reading comp is for crap.
You're projecting. I provided data to support my position including 3rd down success. You provide feelings. Your feelings are worthless without any data. Show data that supports your position that " we used to be able to get off the field against just about anyone if it was 3rd and 5 plus." Otherwise we'll let it rest and assume you have nothing to support your claims and we'll call it a day.

Last edited:
Here is some data versus emotions. OC & OL numbers are close regardless of the position coach. However S&C numbers show a different story. Based on these numbers, I would submit that Doyle had a greater effect on training, speed, toughness, and intensity on the offensive line. Although difficult to quantify, I would surmise a similar effect on the defensive line too.

YearCombinationOffensive CoordinatorOffensive LineStrength & ConditioningGamesPoints / GamePassing / GameRushing / GameTotal Yards / GamePassing % Total
2017 - 2023Brian Ferentz8726.3185.5130.8316.358.6%
2012 - 2016Greg Davis6526.1196.1164.8360.954.3%
1999 - 2011Ken O'Keefe16225.8226.1143.6369.761.2%
Total31426.0208.6144.4353.159.1%
2021 - 2023George Barnett4019.4154.0112.2266.257.9%
2017 - 2020Tim Polasek4732.2212.3146.7359.059.1%
2012 - 2016Brian Ferentz6526.1196.1164.8360.954.3%
2003 - 2011Reese Morgan11425.9231.2142.6373.861.9%
1999 - 2002Joe Philbin4825.4214.0145.9359.959.5%
2021 - 2023Raimond Braithwaite4019.4154.0112.2266.257.9%
1999 - 2020Chris Doyle27426.9216.6149.1365.859.2%

People keep saying “recruiting misses” as if the evaluation is to blame. I agree to an extent but when they haven’t had a “hit” since Linderbaum is it evaluations or development that is the issue?

Many of the guys listed plus ‘21 and ‘22 classes had multiple offers so I don’t think their evaluations have been terrible, which leads me to believe it’s the development that is lacking.
Lindy came in as DL. Was converted after he got here.

You're projecting. I provided data to support my position including 3rd down success. You provide feelings. Your feelings are worthless without any data. Show data that supports your position that " we used to be able to get off the field against just about anyone if it was 3rd and 5 plus." Otherwise we'll let it rest and assume you have nothing to support your claims and we'll call it a day.
Like I said, take your data and throw out all the bs and just put down how we have faired against top 25 teams. Plus I do not need to look up what kind of talent we have had on the back side. Again I am not going to try and prove the fact that with all American or all Conference safeties, Db's and LB's you are able to cover up some deficiencies or slipping of play up front. You going to argue that? When our DL was dominate, we used to have 1 stud LB or DB. Now we have all Conference all over back there. I am not going to prove that with a stellar back end, that you can pin your ears back more and I am not going to try and prove that they should be able to get to the QB, tip the ball or hurry the qb more and not less.

The whole "KF is an O-Line guru" and Iowa is a running team is just not true. We have been a bottom dweller Big Ten Rushing team for almost a decade now including a year when we were dead last. The system, recruiting and coaching has not worked. We line up with 2 tight ends and a godd*mn fullback and still can not run the ball.

If you ask KF he will say they just need to execute better. Clean some things up.
This is true. Besides a hand full of years of great Olines. if we have an AA or All-BIG type player the other 3-4 are all 3rd team or Honorable mention. They usually do improve and end up better as Seniors but it's rare all 5 sync up to be ass kickers

Aiden Stensrud from Lake Mills is visiting this weekend. He currently plays Center and has length.

Both his Grandpas played in the NFL. His Dad played in the CFL and probably would have become a legitimate TE NFL prospect had Dan McCarney not tried to make him an offensive lineman. They all went to Iowa State. Aiden is very open. ISU, NDSU and SDSU have an interest.
He is a smart, athletic prospect . He fits what we look for, a team player and hard working.
What relation to Mike Stensrud?

Like I said, take your data and throw out all the bs and just put down how we have faired against top 25 teams. Plus I do not need to look up what kind of talent we have had on the back side. Again I am not going to try and prove the fact that with all American or all Conference safeties, Db's and LB's you are able to cover up some deficiencies or slipping of play up front. You going to argue that? When our DL was dominate, we used to have 1 stud LB or DB. Now we have all Conference all over back there. I am not going to prove that with a stellar back end, that you can pin your ears back more and I am not going to try and prove that they should be able to get to the QB, tip the ball or hurry the qb more and not less.
What exactly then are you trying to prove? Did you see the Michigan game last year? If you did, what is your response to how are defensive line played against the eventual National Champions? Great Defensive line play allows the LB & DB’s to make plays. Michigan was 3-15 on 3rd downs. Corum was a 1,000 yard rusher and averaged 4.7 yards per carry. Against Iowa he averaged 3.3 YPC with a long of 6 yds. McCarthy was sacked 4 times. This is excellent D line play.
You sound more like a guy who doesn’t understand the integral parts of team defense. You’re in over your head.

Reactions: pistachio1999
I saw Nick Brooks is taking multiple visits this spring. I do not see him coming to Iowa. Texas A&M and others have very deep NIL pockets. I see this young man following the money. I may be wrong but in this case, I'm probably right.

What exactly then are you trying to prove? Did you see the Michigan game last year? If you did, what is your response to how are defensive line played against the eventual National Champions? Great Defensive line play allows the LB & DB’s to make plays. Michigan was 3-15 on 3rd downs. Corum was a 1,000 yard rusher and averaged 4.7 yards per carry. Against Iowa he averaged 3.3 YPC with a long of 6 yds. McCarthy was sacked 4 times. This is excellent D line play.
You sound more like a guy who doesn’t understand the integral parts of team defense. You’re in over your head.
Again, I am not talking about team defense. I am talking about the nastiness of the DL. Someone said it was missing on the OL but they can not see how after Doyle it affected the DL. I am saying it is because of team defense and a stellar back side that they are not seeing it. I like how you picked the one game against a team that just destroyed us and embarrassed us on the national stage the year before. From the day Cade got here and probably before that, the Hawks had Michigan targeted and so they got our very very best in every possible way. Tennessee rushed for 4.3 on us. Passed for 7.6. 0 turnovers against us. And put up 383 yards on us. 383 yards in the 31 min they had the ball. A little over 12 yards per min. If that is not marching up and down the field on us, idk what is. AND Tennessee was not better then Michigan.

• Haha
The Michigan fans around us at that game understood their offense was basically getting owned by our defense.

Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT