ADVERTISEMENT

3 Meals That Remind You of College

I had a hot plate in my room in Currier. My go to was homemade ham, egg & cheese muffin with mayo/Tabasco mix. Occasionally I would stack a hash brown patty in there. Yeah I was a goddam chef even at 18.

Ate a lot at Fry's. And Bruegger's.

Had the fried chicken at Pullman Diner tonight.

Burge's cafeteria is unrecognizable for you 40+ folks around here. I took the high school team I was coaching on a campus visit a few years back and we ate at Burge. It's like a food court at a mall in some place like Newport Beach.

While I enjoyed some damn solid chicken tacos and a turn on the waffle iron, I kept thinking, WTF happened to Burge?

It's called the "Burge Market Place" FFS.

Here's the description from uiowa.edu:
Burge Market Place is located in Burge Residence Hall on the east side of campus and is convenient to students living in Burge, Daum, Currier, Stanley and Mayflower Residence Halls. This market place features a variety of menu options and an inviting dining room overlooking the T. Anne Cleary Walkway. You will find nine different stations offering a fresh variety of foods, including made-to-order items. Burge Market Place also serves a variety of soups, freshly baked breads and speciality rotisserie meats.​

As of a few years ago, yes.
But what about right now? At this moment. We used to bring big tupperware and take home hamburger patties and fill giant rubbermade jugs full of powerade and put it in our backpacks. The food service workers turned a blind eye.

But what about right now? At this moment. We used to bring big tupperware and take home hamburger patties and fill giant rubbermade jugs full of powerade and put it in our backpacks. The food service workers turned a blind eye.
Goddam you're demanding. I can't say this minute what is being offered at the Burge Market Place. But I suspect the waffle station is safe and sound adjacent to the ice cream sundae station.

I hated Gumbys. They managed to sell people on worse food and worse service for the same price as Papa Johns and Dominos. Gimmick from a stupid weird stop-motion/clay/whatever-it-was cartoon. Terrible food, slower service than the big chains, somehow a staple of college life at Iowa when I was there. The national chains were better, Paul Revere's was better, Pizza Pit was better, and there were a few more expensive places that were better. Come to think of it, I still hate Gumbys.

I hated Gumbys. They managed to sell people on worse food and worse service for the same price as Papa Johns and Dominos. Gimmick from a stupid weird stop-motion/clay/whatever-it-was cartoon. Terrible food, slower service than the big chains, somehow a staple of college life at Iowa when I was there. The national chains were better, Paul Revere's was better, Pizza Pit was better, and there were a few more expensive places that were better. Come to think of it, I still hate Gumbys.
Didn’t know many people that ate it beyond freshman year. Falbos and Mesa were my go to. Paul Reveres terminator a couple times after getting high with friends.

Didn’t know many people that ate it beyond freshman year. Falbos and Mesa were my go to. Paul Reveres terminator a couple times after getting high with friends.
I almost never ordered Falbos for delivery or carry out, but I abused those lunch slices. I think it was $4 for two slices and a fountain soda between like 11a-3p every day. I would do that once or a twice a week.

Reactions: millah_22
Sub Station in Florida. I had a somewhat large girl who liked me and my roommate. She would hook us up with 2 large Subs and other items (chips, brownies, drinks) a pc every time she worked and that was usually our only meals on the day. . Her gracious donation 5 times a week allowed us to place grocery money in the party fund consisting of beer, weed and ecstasy.

You can only pick 3. They don’t necessarily have to be “meals.”

1. The most obvious one.
A Panchies burrito. But it has to be with Cholula hot sauce. Not the stuff they have now.
4815836920_e4341f0661_b.jpg

2. These with some extra hot sauce and ranch.
2ae2a192-c179-40aa-ada8-fe78c5cd7dab_1.c51438c32f5c726d9ea3e315a5bda5b7.jpeg

3. Also with hot sauce, and sometimes ranch.
bf3f66a3-912e-44e7-a544-bbd637fafbbd_1.9eccf18960b825f12607ab5a16c1b462.jpeg

I guess I love hot sauce.
tatertot casserole from the burge dorm food service, panchero’s, Hardee’s midnight special of two cheese burgers and two medium fries for $2.22. Honorable mentions to Paul revere’s pizza with breadsticks, Sam’s calzones, totinos frozen pizzas; Mac and cheese, and Fitzpatrick’s pizza

Last edited:
Burge's cafeteria is unrecognizable for you 40+ folks around here. I took the high school team I was coaching on a campus visit a few years back and we ate at Burge. It's like a food court at a mall in some place like Newport Beach.

While I enjoyed some damn solid chicken tacos and a turn on the waffle iron, I kept thinking, WTF happened to Burge?

It's called the "Burge Market Place" FFS.

Here's the description from uiowa.edu:
Burge Market Place is located in Burge Residence Hall on the east side of campus and is convenient to students living in Burge, Daum, Currier, Stanley and Mayflower Residence Halls. This market place features a variety of menu options and an inviting dining room overlooking the T. Anne Cleary Walkway. You will find nine different stations offering a fresh variety of foods, including made-to-order items. Burge Market Place also serves a variety of soups, freshly baked breads and speciality rotisserie meats.​
Tatertot casserole better be in the rotation or they can GTFO

tatertot casserole from the burge dorm food service, panchero’s, Hardee’s midnight special of two cheese burgers and two medium fries for $2.22. Honorable mentions to Paul revere’s pizza with breadsticks, Sam’s calzones, totinos frozen pizzas; Mac and cheese, and Fitzpatrick’s pizza
I always enjoyed when Burger King had $1 whoppers.

1. Chicken breasts from Red Ram (Iowa City)

2. Ravioli from Tony's Little Italy (Ames)

3. Double Char Cheese, tots and Dr. Pepper from Charco's in Coralville

1) Quad food service meal. RIP Quadrangle...

2) 4 orders of Rocky Roccoco's breadsticks and 2 large sodas...great coupon

3) Schwarma's...they delivered right to your dorm door...

Lobster Thermidor

Kobe steaks

Waygu beef hamburgers if I was slumming

C'mon this is HROT, there are no poors allowed here

Reactions: McLovin32
I almost never ordered Falbos for delivery or carry out, but I abused those lunch slices. I think it was $4 for two slices and a fountain soda between like 11a-3p every day. I would do that once or a twice a week.
I don't think I ever ordered a full za there. Either the lunch special, or stand in line at barclose. The falbo styrofoam boxes were the tumbleweed of Iowa City.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
1. Pizza rolls by the bushel

2. Is beer a meal? Because beer

3.Those cheap frozen burritos.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT