ADVERTISEMENT

30 minutes with KF by Marc Morehouse

Interesting, but nothing new. I am a little bothered by what KF said at the end: "I think adversity is easier to handle. I think history would say that. History of the world. People don’t do so well with success."

A more positive thought on how to sustain success might have been nice. Instead, KF sounds to me like he's trying to prepare people for when the bubble bursts: "See, I told ya." Not a big fan.

Interesting, but nothing new. I am a little bothered by what KF said at the end: "I think adversity is easier to handle. I think history would say that. History of the world. People don’t do so well with success."

What he said was true... With success comes possible complacency, getting ahead of yourself and the pressure to perform to the level you had performed.

IMO the difference between the good and great is how one handles success.

This is why the cliché "one game at a time" is a cliché. It's true. You can't look forward, or backward. You must stay in the moment to perform your best.

A more positive thought on how to sustain success might have been nice. Instead, KF sounds to me like he's trying to prepare people for when the bubble bursts: "See, I told ya." Not a big fan.

I don't think you're properly interpreting what he said. Essentially what he's saying is that adversity makes you tougher, it makes you more motivated. Basically, adversity gives you an edge. Jerry Rice is famous for saying he always played scared. He was not the most physically gifted wide receiver in the world - in fact he often was not the most physically gifted wide receiver on his own team. However, he used this to his favor to give himself an edge. He knew that if he didn't work hard and grind every day he was going to get beat by someone better. What Kirk is saying here is that, to this point, this team has got here because they have been working hard and grinding every day. The end to last season was extremely humbling. The players and coaches were embarrassed. These players recognized that if they didn't out-work their opponents, they were going to get their asses kicked. Now that this team is undefeated and has beat up a few teams themselves, everyone is telling them how good they are. If they listen to that and believe that they're just better than other teams they will get complacent.

What he says about the history of success versus adversity is true as well. Success can breed complacency, but it also breeds greed and animosity, even within the group.

As a coach this is so true, often times adversity and doubt can motivate players and teams. Building a successful program is much easier than sustaining one. I think this is more of a message to his team than to the fans, it is important for the coaches to educate the players about these things, I mean KF has been here before and it is well documented that his teams have struggled to maintain success other than that stretch in the early 2000's....that is not a knock on him or on Iowa at all b/c there are very few programs that have done that historically and even those "bluebloods" have down periods. This is his 3rd go at this to try to sustain success, IMO the 3rd time is a charm at least I am very hopeful

I think he was telling the players to enjoy it a little bit, but then he said the provided a list of upsets that have happened once they returned from a short break in which he told them to enjoy it. The list was to remind them that its time to get back to work because it can come crashing down at any time if you get complacent.

"I told the guys Sunday, take a couple of days and think big. That’s OK, that’s healthy. You have to dream in life. It’s OK to have vision. We expanded the 24-hour rule and told them to think big. The other part was enjoy this a little bit. You guys have worked your tails off. For us to be 7-0 right now, a lot of things are happening. Special things going on, special efforts. A lot of good stuff. I said, enjoy that, feel good about it, you’ve earned that. Fortunately, we don’t play this week, so maybe we have a little time to wiggle on all of that stuff."

There was no family issue with Willies . He simply did not like that he was not playing and left the team.

KF, in his words:

One of the worst things you can do is leave during the season. Unless there’s some reason or extenuating circumstance and there wasn’t. If you’re part of a team or an organization, you have to put your personal thoughts aside sometimes and just kind of ride the wave a little bit. But that being said, I’m not mad at Derrick and wish him the best. He’s a great young man and I like him a lot. He made a decision to move on and that was unfortunate. .

I found this interview to be very refreshing as KF seemed more candid and open. He did not dismiss any question and even spoke about Willies. I am not sure he would have done this in the past so that is encouraging.

Keeping it all in as well as the play on the field helped feed the perception that we were operating scared and trying not to lose instead of win. #Attack!

I love that Bruce Arians quote KF referenced too. Is that not the truth.

You don't like KF? Huh? When did that happen?:confused:
Like someone else said, quit shtting on every thread with your hatred for KF. If I don't like liver, I'm certainly not going to eat it everyday, I'm going to find something I do like to eat. If you don't like KF than go find someone you do like. What's the point of keeping yourself miserable all the time?

We have a top 10 coach in college football. If we would have fired him after last season, if he wanted another head coaching job he would have gotten one in a heartbeat at a power 5 school or NFL. It is not easy to win consistently at Iowa not matter what you dreamers say and he is in the middle of making a third very impressive run at the same school (very rare). If he were at one of the "sexy" schools he would be in National Title contention year in and year out

You don't like KF? Huh? When did that happen?:confused:
Like someone else said, quit shtting on every thread with your hatred for KF. If I don't like liver, I'm certainly not going to eat it everyday, I'm going to find something I do like to eat. If you don't like KF than go find someone you do like. What's the point of keeping yourself miserable all the time?
Yeah I have noticed cedarvalley is pretty much always negative, although his post on here is not even close to his most toxic.....

"I told the guys Sunday, take a couple of days and think big. That’s OK, that’s healthy. You have to dream in life. It’s OK to have vision. We expanded the 24-hour rule and told them to think big. The other part was enjoy this a little bit. You guys have worked your tails off. For us to be 7-0 right now, a lot of things are happening. Special things going on, special efforts. A lot of good stuff. I said, enjoy that, feel good about it, you’ve earned that. Fortunately, we don’t play this week, so maybe we have a little time to wiggle on all of that stuff."
"My message this morning, I shared this with them (it was a sheet with odds and upsets that have happened since Wisconsin, in which Iowa was a 5-point underdog and, thus, pulling the upset). History takes care of things. The bottom line is it’s back to reality. That’s kind of the way it is with a football team. You’re going to have challenges every year. It started out with a lot of negativity going into the season. And now it’s gone in the other direction."

ProfitHawk,

Instead of arguing with the trolls, how about you use the ignore feature?

People who post a bunch of crap in response to trolls are just as much annoying noise as the trolls are.

Reactions: rsigmundi
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT