ADVERTISEMENT

$400K Bonus

Apr 28, 2005
Fran gets 400K bonus for making the tournament.

Keep in mind, each school whom makes the tournament receives a 250K check from the NCAA.

Biggest winners among coaches w/incentives tied to today's NCAA tournament selections:

--Iowa's Fran McCaffery: $400,000 pay raise, starting July 1, and $30K bonus

--Florida State's Leonard Hamilton: $300,000 from 3 separate provisions

--Tennessee's Rick Barnes: $125,000

#Gophers coach Richard Pitino gets middle-of-road $50,000 bonus for program’s NCAA tournament at-large bid, per USA Today’s @ByBerkowitz. Some contracts have $0; Tennessee’s Rick Barnes at $125,000; and Iowa’s spot triggers Fran McCaffrey’s $400,000 raise in ‘19-20, $30,000 bonus

Contracts should be based on objectives and goals. I’d have to read the whole thing and have an understanding of the market and negotiations with Fran to have an opinion on the amount.... but it seems like something from Barta we should be celebrating.

Basic logic says that the coach having a lower end base salary (compared to other B10 coaches) with big incentives for achieving goals is a really good contract if you want your coach's contract based on achievements/success... Any statement to the contrary (bashing Barta/Fran) is based on a lack of logic or reason.....which means it's probably based on a pissy childish type of approach.

I am neither a fan nor a hater of Barta.....just for clarity.

If only all jobs paid this way. Get millions to show up and if you are competent enough to somehow have success we will give you even more ridiculous amounts of money.

Then again maybe our brilliant ad barta threw this out there figuring with frans dynamic coaching abilities the university would never actually have to pay it out...

Reactions: InsaneHawk
So, this is a bump for next year since Iowa made the tourney, right. So, next year, if he doesn’t make the tournament, his salary is only the base amount for 2021 minus the tourney kicker bonus? Am I understanding this correctly?

Fran is not overpaid compared to peers if you look at the total package. The buyout seems high, but having high incentives for accomplishments is a good thing.
is the buy out really that high?
i hear a lot of whining about it, but it's the 7th highest in b1g according to the link above.
6th highest in b1g is over 40% more than frans.

none of this means I don't think his seat should be warm :)

Is it a BONUS or a Raise..? Huge difference.

I am all for incentives. Prefer bonus incentives vs raises. Without a doubt, in this scenario(normal people like 95% of us it sucks, much prefer the raise instead of $0 pay raise).

Now, if Barta made it a "raise" instead of a bonus, then add another reason for his termination.

Adding $400k "bonus" to make the tournament is not a problem, IF you make a lower salary. Which Fran does(10th in the B1G).

Indiana is arguably a more talented team full of players that many on this board have cried about Fran not landing. They missed the tourney, because the big ten beat them down (including us) Minnesota, probably our most comparable competitor, is in the exact spot we are with an older team. They also experienced a similar slide. Losing 5-6 before winning 3 huge games in a row

10-10 in the big ten and undefeated in the non-con is good. Our problem is that our player with the highest ceiling is a freshman. We beat 4 tournament teams and played a lot of close competitive games with Sota on the road and Maryland/Wisconsin at home. We also beat a very good PSU in a close game. Yes we got cold during the end of the season but every team goes through tough moments. For gods sake. We lost one game we shouldn’t have and Nebraska got very lucky.
We have won 2 NCAA tournament games since 2000.

We will be a 6 seed next year with Patrick and all you annoying c**ts will have to mope as Fran gets paid again. He’s a good coach, and a good guy. I have a feeling the Mccaffeys will have the last laugh. I hope we beat Cincy, and I think we have a decent chance.

Indiana is arguably a more talented team full of players that many on this board have cried about Fran not landing. They missed the tourney, because the big ten beat them down (including us) Minnesota, probably our most comparable competitor, is in the exact spot we are with an older team. They also experienced a similar slide. Losing 5-6 before winning 3 huge games in a row

10-10 in the big ten and undefeated in the non-con is good. Our problem is that our player with the highest ceiling is a freshman. We beat 4 tournament teams and played a lot of close competitive games with Sota on the road and Maryland/Wisconsin at home. We also beat a very good PSU in a close game. Yes we got cold during the end of the season but every team goes through tough moments. For gods sake. We lost one game we shouldn’t have and Nebraska got very lucky.
We have won 2 NCAA tournament games since 2000.

We will be a 6 seed next year with Patrick and all you annoying c**ts will have to mope as Fran gets paid again. He’s a good coach, and a good guy. I have a feeling the Mccaffeys will have the last laugh. I hope we beat Cincy, and I think we have a decent chance.

Indiana had a bunch of injuries. Fran is a total ass to the media, interrupts them all the time and gives them attitude for asking legitimate questions. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree either, just look at some of the things his kids have posted on social media.

Indiana had a bunch of injuries. Fran is a total ass to the media, interrupts them all the time and gives them attitude for asking legitimate questions. The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree either, just look at some of the things his kids have posted on social media.

I can’t remeber anything from Connor or Patrick that was unacceptable. Sure some defensive tweets, but they are kids.

Can you imagine answering questions immediately after a very public failure in your work place. Questions from people who could be spinning negative narrative of your performance and your failures. Sounds like a nightmare. Watch other coaches in this environment, and you’ll probably see a lot of the same antics.

Ask anyone about their encounters with him off the court and they will sing his praises. Interactions with the media after a loss might be the least important consideration when judging the ability of a guy to coach a team. Yes, he’s an emotional guy but I’d much rather have that than a Gard type.

Indiana did have a bunch of injuries. But they also crapped the bed in the big ten tourney when they had a win and in scenario.

Reactions: Fall_is_4_Rudy
Agent-Smith-Evil-Laugh.gif

You are full of it.

Reactions: BBHawk
Why not....it's a prime example of where Iowa's at on the national radar. Think some ASU fan has even heard of Fran? Hell no.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT