ADVERTISEMENT

43 Hawks on NFL Rosters. 5 Free Agents (Updated June 10)

CJ Beathard & Greg Mabin updates:

Following a five-week break at the close of minicamp, there are a number of story lines to follow as the San Francisco 49ers report for training camp on Friday. Here’s a look at the top seven questions the team faces as they gear up for their first practice on Saturday.

1. Is Jimmy Garoppolo ready?

A lot of faith in the 49ers future lies with Garoppolo’s health. The quarterback was limited to individual and 7-on-7 drills during OTAs and minicamp earlier this summer. If everything goes as planned, he is expected to gain clearance for full team drills at the start of camp.

2. Who gets backup reps behind Garoppolo?

During last month’s minicamp, C.J. Beathard and Nick Mullens saw split reps behind Garoppolo. Both are coming off of notable OTA performances. Kyle Shanahan reiterated that Mullens and Beathard will enter camp on an even slate. Over the next few weeks, the battle for the backup spot behind Jimmy G will be an intriguing competition to keep an eye on.

6. Who starts opposite Richard Sherman?

The 49ers are eager to see if Ahkello Witherspoon can mimic his rookie season where he recorded seven passes defended and two interceptions in nine starts back in 2017. Despite a drop in production during his sophomore campaign, he showed glimpses that he can be a reliable corner in Saleh’s defense towards the end of 2018.

Jason Verrett is a front runner to challenge Witherspoon for a starting spot. Verrett has plenty of upside, and has proven to be a standout cornerback when healthy. Greg Mabin, Tim Harris, Dontae Johnson and Emmanuel Moseley are also in mix for a backup spot. Meanwhile, both K’Waun Williams and D.J. Reed will compete at starting nickel corner.

https://www.49ers.com/news/7-lingering-questions-ahead-of-49ers-training-camp

Jimmy can't stay healthy.

CJ is battling for the #2 job. Will we see more CJB to George connections this year, like last year?

Watch the 2nd video that follows:

A note from Bills practice #6:
  • Nick Easley was en fuego today, and drew the most responses from media members after breaking ankles (figuratively) in the passing game. He’s likely making a push as a practice squad candidate, or he’d have to jump Ray-Ray McCloud and Isaiah McKenzie as the backup slot guy.
  • To compound matters, several players had to step out for a play or two to see a trainer. Pro Bowl safety Micah Hyde did not return to practice after speaking with a trainer. That’s four (or more) starters who didn’t finish practice today purely due to injury.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Denver beat Atlanta 14-10 in the Aug 1 Hall of Fame game. The games's first first down? A catch by Noah Fant.

"Here's what happens when you have a 4.5 guy (seconds in the 40 yd dash) playing tight end."

Watch:

Last edited:
Different year, increased — and important — role for Broncos LB Josey Jewell
Second-year player will get a chance to make plays in coach Vic Fangio’s defensive system

By RYAN O'HALLORAN | rohalloran@denverpost.com | The Denver Post
July 25, 2019 at 4:30 pm

The Broncos have yet to play a preseason game and this is already a night-and-day difference training camp for inside linebacker Josey Jewell.

Last year: A rookie backup behind veteran Brandon Marshall. … A base-package player when he was on the field. … A core special teams player.

This year: A starter now that Marshall is in Oakland. … An every-down player in coach Vic Fangio’s defense. … A spectator during special teams practice drills.

Playing for a head coach in Vic Fangio who will call the defensive plays and is a renowned developer of linebackers, Jewell has a golden opportunity.

“He’s definitely putting some time into us and just looking at us,” Jewell said. “He’s almost like a second coach for (us) — to just really be able to pick up (things in) our game and tell us what we need to work on and what we’re doing good and just really perfect each part of our game. It’s great.”

The Broncos’ linebackers need to be great in Fangio’s system.

So far in training camp, the main sub-package personnel has been nickel, which means two inside linebackers stay on the field. That will place additional pass-coverage responsibilities — man and zone — on Jewell’s plate.

“He’s been good,” Fangio said. “Josey’s been on top of his stuff from Day One.”

Jewell played 459 of 1,077 defensive snaps (42.6 percent) last year, starting nine of his 16 games. He was a special teams player only until Marshall’s knee tendonitis shelved him. When Marshall returned, Jewell kept the starting base-package spot and Marshall played in dime (six defensive backs) personnel.

In the year of the NFL Rookie Linebacker (five 100-tackle players), Jewell had 51 stops and only three missed tackles, proving to be a solid run-defense performer. He had at least five tackles in five of the Broncos’ last seven games.

The Broncos passed on Michigan’s Devin Bush with the 10th overall pick and every other inside linebacker on the draft board. If Jewell and fellow starter Todd Davis needed a vote of confidence, that was it.

A hallmark of Fangio’s defense has been stellar linebacker play, all the way back to New Orleans, when he had Pat Swilling, Sam Mills and Rickey Jackson plus San Francisco (Patrick Willis) and Chicago (Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan).

“I love this playbook,” Jewell said. “This defense allows you to have some wiggle room — if you see something coming, go bite on that; if you see something else, play off your instincts. I think (Fangio) is a really big guy with instincts. Our defense relies on that.

“We saw some 49ers’ film from a while ago and this past year’s Chicago film, which really related his defense and his playbook. And there were examples of them running it well.”

The Broncos will play well at outside linebacker with Von Millerand Bradley Chubb. But inside linebacker has some questions.

Davis (calf) hasn’t practiced since July 19 and is expected to miss another 2-3 weeks. That has left Jewell to play with a revolving door of candidates: Alexander Johnson lined up next to him on Thursday. Also seeing time have been rookie Josh Watson and veteran Joe Jones.

Those backups have been leaning on Jewell to confirm where to line up, what the coverage is and how to defend a run play.

“I think every day, although he’s been pretty sharp, he learns something new, a thing or two that’s new to him or an adjustment or a route that he hadn’t seen yet and it’s good for him,” Fangio said. “He’s doing very well.”

Reactions: WildTurk
Friday, Aug 02, 2019 08:30 PM

TIM AND MIKE: Ford Field practice observations

DET.svg

Tim Twentyman & Mike OHara

DETROITLIONS.COM WRITERS

TD on second series: Jones caught a touchdown from Stafford on the second series for the first-team offense. The offense started at the one-yard line and got a 31-yard run by running back Kerryon Johnson and 23-yard catches from tight end T.J. Hockenson and wide receiver Kenny Golladay. That set up a Stafford to Jones touchdown from five yards out – Tim Twentyman

One vs. Two: A matchup in the second half put the Lions’ top two draft picks in a one-on-one battle. Hockenson, the first-round pick, lined up on the left side. Directly over him was linebacker Jahlani Tavai, a second-round pick. They got a standoff on a running play away from them on the right side. They weren’t involved in the play, but it was a good battle to watch. – Mike O’Hara

Defensive effort: The scrimmage was offense vs. defense with the offense getting points for touchdowns, field goals and successful point after attempts, and the defense getting points for third-down stops, red-zone stops and turnovers. Stafford played just two series, and the defense came back late to win the scrimmage 30-20 on late interceptions by safeties Andrew Adams and Quandre Diggs off quarterback Tom Savage. – Tim Twentyman

Participation report: Not taking part in Friday’s scrimmage were: Defensive tackle Damon Harrison Sr., defensive end Trey Flowers, defensive tackle Mike Daniels, cornerback Darius Slay, linebacker Davon Kennard, linebacker Christian Jones, cornerback Teez Tabor, cornerback Marcus Cooper Sr., linebacker Malik Carney, defensive end Jonathan Wynn, defensive tackle Darius Kilgo, defensive end Austin Bryant, linebacker Steve Longa and wide receiver TommyLee Lewis – Tim Twentyman

Monday, Aug 05, 2019 01:10 PM

Josey Jewell exits Monday's practice early

j3dyd1blo8y6nr4ftylx.jpg

Aric DiLalla
LEAD WRITER

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Linebacker Josey Jewell exited early during Monday’s practice after participating in a team drill.

Jewell observed practice for a few minutes before he walked into the locker room.

“[He] kind of tweaked his side a little bit, so I told [Head Athletic Trainer] Vince [Garcia] to take him in and start treating him,” Head Coach Vic Fangio said after practice.

The Broncos’ other starter at linebacker, Todd Davis, suffered a calf injury on July 18, the Broncos’ first day of practice, and has not practiced since.

Fangio last gave an update on Davis on July 27.

“He’ll still miss some time, but everything’s been good,” Fangio said in late July.

Tight end Jake Butt, meanwhile, continues to work toward a return to the field. Butt hasn’t practiced since July 20.

“He’s actually doing a little bit better,” Fangio said Monday. “[He’s] not ready to come out and practice yet, but he is making some progress.”

Wide receiver DaeSean Hamilton practiced for the second day in a row after a hamstring injury kept him out for five practice. Fangio said he has looked good in his return.

“I thought he’s had two good days of practice,” Fangio said, “and I think he’s ready to go and healed up.”

I couldn’t watch any of the games. Did any of our guys make some plays? I think Nelson has been hurt, so I doubt he played...

This Detroit Lions offensive lineman loves to eat deer heart: Meet Andrew Donnal
Greg Levinsky, Detroit Free Press
Aug. 1, 2019

Detroit Lions offensive lineman Andrew Donnal shot his first deer as a fifth grader. He began hunting around that age with his father, Ron, and quickly fell in love with everything outdoors.

The heart is his favorite part to eat.

Seriously.

"It's delicious," Donnal exclaimed after Lions training camp practice on Thursday. "You save the heart, thinly slice it and pan sear it – real hot – for 30 seconds each side. I like to do fajitas. It looks like skirt stake.

"It's like butter. It's very soft. The texture of it is awesome. There's tons of flavor."

He began hunting shotgun style with Ron during the fall season near their Monclova, Ohio, home. While playing football at Iowa, Donnal got into bow hunting.

"I just love being outside, love being in nature," Donnal said. "It's just relaxing. Very therapeutic."

There are some times when Donnal skips the trip to a taxidermist and serves as his own butcher. It can get repulsive at times, he said.

"If you puncture a bladder, it does not smell good," Donnal said.

A 2015 fourth-round pick, Donnal spent the first two years of his NFL career with the Rams, including appearing in all 16 games in 2016. He then went to Baltimore before landing with the Lions last season, when he played in two games.

Lions center Frank Ragnow, another renown outdoors enthusiast, takes teammates fishing, which Donnal enjoys.

But given his current work schedule, Donnal hasn't hunted as much as he'd like. He can only get to Ohio Muzzleloader season, usually in the second week of January. Donnal is OK with putting that hobby on hold, for now.

"It's something that me and my dad really bond over," he said. "It's something that I'm looking forward to eventually down the line. Just being able to get back and do that kind of stuff with him again, I haven't done it in a long time, consistently."

Contact Greg Levinsky: glevinsky@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter @GregLevinsky

2 solo tackles for Niemann (KC)

4 tackles for Mabin (SF)

13-17 141 yards 1 (real bad) int but 1 TD in a come from behind win (SF) highest qb rating on the team tonight.

11 carries for 29 yards with a long of 5, 4 catches (7 targets) for 25 yards, 1 tackle for Butler (Oak)

Reactions: Franisdaman
2 solo tackles for Niemann (KC)

4 tackles for Mabin (SF)

13-17 141 yards 1 (real bad) int but 1 TD in a come from behind win (SF) highest qb rating on the team tonight.

11 carries for 29 yards with a long of 5, 4 catches (7 targets) for 25 yards, 1 tackle for Butler (Oak)

thank you for those stats!

any thoughts on who will be QB2 for San Fran? Mullens & CJ both threw an INT and their overall stats were close. CJ did get sacked once; Mullens, from what I can remember, last season had a better pocket presence & avoided sacks better than CJ. CJ seemed to stand there & take a beating.

are there any more Niemann brothers that can come play for the Hawkeyes? ;)

Last year, SF vs Green Bay; somebody got injured & Mabin went in as the back up and Aaron Rodgers went after Mabin time after time; I remember 49er fans were livid & demanded he get cut immediately; it's nice to see he is still around :)

And I just looked it up; looks like Rodgers went after Mabin on 2 consecutive drives based on this tweet:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawkfan_08
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT