ADVERTISEMENT

43 Hawks on NFL Rosters. 5 Free Agents (Updated June 10)

Hitchens & Niemann on the Chiefs' depth chart:

EBKztocWwAAqPU0

'Steamin' Niemann' looks to increase his role in Year 2 with Kansas City
By Matt DerrickEmail
Aug. 2, 2019

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. – A year ago Ben Niemann simply hoped to prove his mettle as a professional football player, so the idea of playing with NFL MVP Patrick Mahomes and coming up one play short of the Super Bowl couldn’t have been further from his mind.

“[I was] doing every little thing I could to make the roster just because I was undrafted, and then the emotions of making [the team], it was pretty exciting,” Niemann said as he prepares for his second NFL season with the Kansas City Chiefs. “Then having such a memorable season, one of the best seasons in Chiefs’ history, it was a good experience.”

Niemann arrived at training camp this season with a different goal than a year ago. Last season, he hoped to simply earn a job. Now, he strives to take the next step by finding an enlarged role on the team’s revamped defense.

Nicknamed “Steamin’ Niemann” by his teammates, the Sycamore native showed plenty of promise during his rookie campaign. He won his roster spot thanks to a sterling training camp, leading the team with 17 tackles during the preseason. He also returned an interception 26 yards for a touchdown against the Atlanta Falcons.

Even during his rookie season, head coach Andy Reid said Niemann’s high football-IQ made him stand out.

“Smart kid,” Reid said. “Coach’s kid, he kind of gets it, what’s going on around him, and it shows.”

Niemann played sparingly on defense last season. He took only 64 snaps on defense, with nearly half coming during a Week 10 start filling for fellow Iowa Hawkeye linebacker Anthony Hitchens. He did find a home, however, on the club’s special teams unit as a four-phase player on kick and punt units, ranking fourth on the club with 259 special teams snaps last season.

“I know for me personally, I know a big role of mine is special teams, so just trying to do whatever I can to make an impact on the game there,” Niemann said.

During the offseason, Niemann sought to add strength and bulk to his 6-foot-2, 235-pound frame. He went back to Iowa to work with renowned Hawkeyes’ strength and conditioning coach Chris Doyle.

Teammate Reggie Ragland said the work Niemann did in both the weightroom and the playbook have paid off.

“Last year, he was a little smaller; this year he’s bigger,” Ragland said. “But Ben has always been a very smart football player. You’re out there watching him, you’re going to see him put everybody in the right position, and then get himself in position, too.”

Reid agrees.

“[He’s] intense, he’s gotten stronger, and he’s got a good feel for things,” Reid said.

Iowa City has became Niemann’s new home away from home. His brother, Nick, will be a junior linebacker at Iowa this fall, and his father, Jay, joined the Hawkeyes this spring as defensive line coach and assistant recruiting coordinator. Ben helped his parents move into their new home before training camp started in July.

“They’re going to be close,” so it will be easy for his mom to get to his games and his dad will be able to make them when Iowa has a bye week, Niemann said.

Niemann also took the time back in Iowa to reconnect with his teammates as they pursued their own NFL dreams.

“I didn’t redshirt, and all the guys in my class that did were getting ready for pro day,” Niemann said. “So I actually moved back into the house I lived in in college with my teammates because they had an open room there, so it was kind of just like I fit right back in.”

His former teammates gleaned as much information as they could from the NFL player.

“Anything I could help them out with I did,” Niemann said. “Coaches, scouts coming in for interview process type of things, giving them a heads up how that goes and just their pro day in general. I helped out in whatever way I could for them.”

Returning to the Chiefs for training camp, Niemann finds football both new and familiar at the same time. The Chiefs rebuilt their defense during the offseason, abandoning the 3-4 scheme of former defensive coordinator Bob Sutton. New coordinator Steve Spagnuolo deploys a 4-3 front more similar to the concept Niemann played in college.

“It has a more familiar feel to it for sure,”
Niemann said. “Still schematically a little bit different, but there is some similarities compared to the 3-4. Last year was totally new to me, I had never played in that before.”

It’s also his second year playing at inside linebacker, where he currently backs up Ragland.

“Last year coming in to this time, I had never played inside linebacker,” Niemann explained. “In college I was an outside linebacker. So I feel a lot more comfortable. Now it’s a new defense, so similar learning and growing to do. In terms of my experience and knowledge inside the box, it’s definitely gone up.”

Ragland sees Niemann continually growing into his own on the field.

“Ben’s a great player, and even better person off the field, so I’m happy for him,” Ragland said. “He’s getting better, he’s pushing me, he’s pushing everybody out there.”

He said Spagnuolo has been a positive change for the defense, along with new linebackers coach Matt House.

“[Spagnuolo’s] got a lot of energy;he’s a really good teacher,” Niemann said. “Same with Coach House in the linebacker room, very detail oriented, everybody’s on the same page at all times. Everybody’s got to know their job, execute, limit the mental errors, all that stuff, and just fly to the football, so it’s been fun.”

The Chiefs also added new faces to the defense in the offseason, signing big-name free agents in defensive end Frank Clark and safety Tyrann Mathieu.

“It’s been a positive change, all those guys,” Niemann said. “They’re all bought in and bring a lot of energy. Frank and Tyrann are good leaders. We have Damien [Wilson] in the linebacker room, as well. We have a lot of guys, and they have all came in and jelled and meshed. It’s a good group, so I’m excited.

Niemann certainly is having fun in the NFL, but he doesn’t take for granted how special last season proved to be for himself and for the Chiefs. Yet it also left him hungry for more.

“There’s a lot of guys that will play seven-, eight-year careers and never have that opportunity to play in a game like that,” Niemann said of the AFC Championship game loss to New England. “Now we’re trying to take that next step, get back there and win that game this time.”

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
thank you for those stats!

any thoughts on who will be QB2 for San Fran? Mullens & CJ both threw an INT and their overall stats were close. CJ did get sacked once; Mullens, from what I can remember, last season had a better pocket presence & avoided sacks better than CJ. CJ seemed to stand there & take a beating.

are there any more Niemann brothers that can come play for the Hawkeyes? ;)

Last year, SF vs Green Bay; somebody got injured & Mabin went in as the back up and Aaron Rodgers went after Mabin time after time; I remember 49er fans were livid & demanded he get cut immediately; it's nice to see he is still around :)

And I just looked it up; looks like Rodgers went after Mabin on 2 consecutive drives based on this tweet:

No clue but I feel like they are leaning towards Mullens unfortunately. He had the entire first half. CJ led the comeback and did have better numbers including completion percentage. My guess is thay they flip roles next game.

Reactions: Franisdaman
The 49ers fans have already passed their own judgement on that QB situation, and though it may not prove to be correct, CJB is likely getting traded somewhere. I'd be really surprised if it goes the other way.

The 49ers fans have already passed their own judgement on that QB situation, and though it may not prove to be correct, CJB is likely getting traded somewhere. I'd be really surprised if it goes the other way.
Lucky that the fan's don't coach the team. CJ lead in QB rating too, and the coach refuses to say the competition is over or one has a lead over the other.

CJ was poised to have a very good a finish before he hurt his hand last year. With the emergence of Kittle and the weaker 2nd half schedule, I believe he would have won as many if not more of the final games as Nick did and Nick would be on his way out after camp this year.

Lucky that the fan's don't coach the team. CJ lead in QB rating too, and the coach refuses to say the competition is over or one has a lead over the other.

CJ was poised to have a very good a finish before he hurt his hand last year. With the emergence of Kittle and the weaker 2nd half schedule, I believe he would have won as many if not more of the final games as Nick did and Nick would be on his way out after camp this year.

I did watch most of the 49er games last year, and absolutely agree that CJB would have had a good second half, but he sort-of got a raw deal with how it all worked out. It's a tribute to Shanahan's coaching that he recognizes that, and crazy that the fan comments are so biased against Beathard, but that seems to be the case. Will it ultimately matter? I don't know, but it doesn't make things any easier on the decision.

Just a hunch, but whichever QB is the backup there will probably play a bit--again. We'll see.

Reactions: BCRoss89
I did watch most of the 49er games last year, and absolutely agree that CJB would have had a good second half, but he sort-of got a raw deal with how it all worked out. It's a tribute to Shanahan's coaching that he recognizes that, and crazy that the fan comments are so biased against Beathard, but that seems to be the case. Will it ultimately matter? I don't know, but it doesn't make things any easier on the decision.

Just a hunch, but whichever QB is the backup there will probably play a bit--again. We'll see.
To say Jimmy G is fragile/brittle is an understatement.

The 49'ers wouldn't keep both Mullens & CJ, would they?

FWIW, what follows came from the 49'ers website; Could one argue that CJ had the better showing with a weaker OL protecting him?

In the battle for the primary backup job, Nick Mullens opened the first half and completed 11-of-17 passes for 105 yards, one touchdown and one interception for a 76.8 quarterback rating.

C.J. Beathard
played the majority of the second half and finished 13-of-17 passing for 141 yards, one touchdown and an interception for a passer rating of 95.5.

Undrafted rookie Wilton Speight closed out the final six minutes of the game and went 2-of-3 passing for 10 yards.

A reporter, starting at the 1:28 mark, asked about the CJ interception and whether it was the receiver's fault. Shanahan said, "Uhhhhh, no. Everyone had a few mistakes tonight."

At the 2:42 mark Shanahan reveals that CJ will start the next game. Mullens only started the Cowboys game because he finished out last season.

Shanahan said that in the Cowboys game both Mullens & CJ had some good plays but CJ & Mullens both had ONE bad play (each had 1 BAD INT, where both INTs should have been avoided, per Shanahan).

Shanahan said there is no clear separation right now between Mullens & CJ.

LINK: https://www.49ers.com/video/kyle-sh...action-following-preseason-matchup-vs-cowboys

Last edited:
Iowa football: How Hawkeye rookies fared in Week 1 of the 2019 NFL preseason

Dargan Southard, Hawk Central
Published 12:30 p.m. CT Aug. 12, 2019

Another pack of Hawkeye rookies is battling through the NFL preseason. Some are trying to justify lofty draft positions. Other are simply fighting for jobs.

With Week 1 come and gone, let's break down how Iowa's first-year players fared in their professional debuts. We'll do this for each week of the preseason.

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Detroit Lions
Stats: Hockenson played but didn't record a catch in Thursday's 31-3 loss to the New England Patriots.

Skinny: Don't let the goose egg fool you. Hockenson has torn it up in preseason camp, quieting critics who balked at the Lions selecting a tight end so high at No. 8 overall. An in-depth camp breakdown from MLive.com's Kyle Meinke reveals Hockenson and quarterback Matthew Stafford have already developed a nice connection. The sure hands that made Hockenson a fan favorite at Iowa haven't changed at the next level. Although he didn't catch anything against New England Thursday, recent joint practices with the Patriots only accentuated Hockenson's value. He'll look to get on the board Saturday at Houston.

Media coverage: In addition to MLive's and Mike Reiss' breakdowns, ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein dove into Hockenson here and here.

Noah Fant, TE, Denver Broncos
Stats: Fant had two catches for 14 yards in Thursday's 22-14 loss to the Seattle Seahawks. He also had one catch for seven yards in the Hall of Fame game Aug. 1.

Skinny: It doesn't seem Fant has started as smoothly as Hockenson, but the other half of Iowa's tight-end duo seems to be finding his role in Denver. It should increase throughout the preseason, by necessity, if anything. Rookie tight end Austin Fort tore his ACL — and Jeff Heuerman (shoulder) and Jake Butt (knee) remain slowed — leaving Denver with three healthy bodies at the position (Fant, Troy Fumagalli and rookie Moral Stephens). Fant by far has the most upside and should get a ton of preseason work. He returns to action Monday versus San Francisco.

Media coverage: The Gazette's Paul Klee had a nice dive into Fant before the Seattle game. Lot of ground covered with some familiar references.

Anthony Nelson, LB, Tampa Bay Bucs
Stats: Nelson (knee) didn't travel to Pittsburgh for Friday's 30-28 loss to the Steelers.

Skinny: A minor knee issue has slowed the fourth-round pick, who's been in and out of practice to start. Bucs reporter Greg Auman tweeted last Thursday that Nelson was wearing a brace, but that his injury isn't considered long-term. That's good news for Nelson, who the Bucs have converted into a linebacker hybrid now. Nelson could be ready to roll Friday against Miami.

Media coverage: In this depth-chart breakdown from Auman, he pegs Nelson as "a safe bet as the fourth OLB."

Amani Hooker, S, Tennessee Titans
Stats: Hooker co-led the Titans with four tackles, all solo, in Thursday's 27-10 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Skinny: Many analysts considered Hooker a steal at No. 116 on draft day, and it seems his early camp work has backed that up. Hooker cracked Pro Football Focus' under-the-radar rookies list for the preseason. Hooker's ability to juggle multiple defensive positions, just like he did in college, has already pleased head coach Mike Vrabel. Hooker's next chance to shine comes Saturday versus New England. The Titans are deep at safety, but Hooker's versatility will have him in position to make an impact.

Media coverage: USA Today has Hooker on a similar list: most intriguing late-round rookies to watch in the 2019 NFL preseason.

Nick Easley, WR, Buffalo Bills
Stats: Easley didn't record a catch in Thursday's 24-16 win over the Indianapolis Colts.

Skinny: Although Easley had a nice start to camp,including one brilliant touchdown snag, the undrafted wide receiver didn't make much of an impact in his pro debut. Every opportunity counts when you're on the roster fence. Multiple places project Easley to fall short of the 53-man roster, but he still has time to deliver — even if his ultimate destination is the practice squad. His next chance arrives Friday at Carolina.

Jake Gervase, S, Los Angeles Rams
Stats: Gervase finished with five tackles, three solo, in Saturday's 14-3 loss to the Oakland Raiders.

Skinny: A guy who could land a roster spot if everything shakes out perfectly. Special teams success might keep Gervase around more so than any work at safety, where the Rams are top-heavy. Gervase must pounce on every chance to shine. His pro debut was a nice start; his next chance comes Saturday against Dallas.

Parker Hesse, TE, Tennessee Titans
Stats: Hesse, who has since switched to offense, played but didn't record a catch in Thursday's win over the Eagles.

Skinny: Hesse is back on offense for the first time since his Waukon days, when he was a first-team all-state selection as a quarterback (and just about everything else). He did get in the game early Thursday, but also had a key hold that negated a long run. We'll see how this move for Hesse shakes out. He'll look to get on the stat sheet against the Patriots.

Matt Nelson, OT, Detroit Lions
Stats: Nelson made his pro debut at right tackle in Thursday's loss to New England.

Skinny: Like Hesse, Nelson made the jump to offense soon after signing with an NFL team. He was listed as the third-team right tackle on Detroit's initial depth chart. As for now, Nelson still seems to be on the outside looking in for a 53-man spot.

Ross Reynolds, OG, San Francisco 49ers
Stats: Reynolds made his pro debut in Saturday's 17-9 win over the Dallas Cowboys.

Skinny: Iowa's track record for offensive lineman can only help in situations like Reynolds', where the difference between a roster spot and the practice squad appears thin. According to Pro Football Focus, Reynolds had the second-lowest rating among San Francisco's offensive players. But injuries along the offensive line could swing things Reynolds' way. Sacramento Bee 49ers reporter Chris Biderman still projects Reynolds to land on the practice squad. But we'll see. The 49ers return to action next Monday at Denver.

Keegan Render, C, Philadelphia Eagles
Stats: Opposite former teammates Hooker and Hesse, Render made his pro debut in Thursday's loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Skinny: Render had a quiet debut, but he turned heads Monday morning when he caught a touchdown pass in practice as an eligible tackle. He's the third-team center right now and could land a practice squad invite. Eagles beat writer Bo Wulf broke down Philadelphia's undrafted offensive linemen here.

Dargan Southard covers Iowa and UNI athletics, recruiting and preps for the Des Moines Register, HawkCentral.com and the Iowa City Press-Citizen. Email him at msouthard@gannett.com or follow him on Twitter at @Dargan_Southard.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/s...enson-amani-hooker-anthony-nelson/1983635001/

Lots of player movement in the NFL, which of course, stands for "not for long."

Jake had a 3 day try out with the Raiders. Things didn't work out.

He then had a 45 minute try out with the Rams. Yep. 45 minutes.

Watch how that all went:

37 Hawkeyes on NFL rosters as of 6:58 PM CT, Jul 28, 2019

The 37 Hawks on 19 NFL Teams:

Atlanta: Clayborn, Gettis
Baltimore: Yanda
Buffalo: Boettger, Easley, Hyde
Chicago: James Daniels
Cleveland: Carl Davis, Kirksey
Denver: Fant, Jewell, Kreiter
Detroit: Mike Daniels, Donnal, Hockenson, Matt Nelson
Green Bay: Bulaga, Josh Jackson
Kansas City: Hitchens, Niemann
LA Chargers: King
LA Rams: Blythe, Gervase
Minnesota: Johnson, Reiff
New England: Croston, Ferentz
Oakland: Butler
Philadelphia: Render
San Francisco: Beathard, Kittle, Mabin, Reynolds
Tampa Bay: A Nelson
Tennessee: Hesse, Hooker
Washington: Scherff

it's hard to keep track of the comings and goings!

Last edited:
Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
As mentioned above, CJ Is scheduled to start the next 49'ers game & would probably play the entire 1st half. Hopefully this injury does not keep him out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT