ADVERTISEMENT

49ers TE George Kittle tells Bears to trade down, stick with QB Justin Fields

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
You wouldn’t think 49ers tight end George Kittle would have an opinion on the Bears, but he does. He was adamant Monday that they should keep quarterback Justin Fields and trade down from the No. 1 pick to acquire assets to build around him.

“Wow, this is putting me on the spot — all of Chicago is listening to this,” he said at Super Bowl Opening Night. “What the Bears should do is trade back as many picks as they can and build around a guy they’ve been trying to build around.

“Give the guy some actual options — he has options, but help him out as much as you possibly can. Build him up as big as you can and trust the kid.”

Kittle, who is from Madison, Wis., and grew up in Iowa, said he was a Bears fan as a kid.

The Bears could have had him, of course, but when they needed a tight end in 2017, former general manager Ryan Pace chose Adam Shaheen in the second round. The 49ers picked Kittle in the fifth at No. 147 overall, one spot ahead of the Bears in that round.

Shaheen has 50 catches for 509 yards and seven touchdowns in his career. Kittle has averaged 66 catches, 896 yards and five touchdowns over his seven-year career and has been an All-Pro twice.

Did Bruce live in Madison when George was born? Where did they live when they were in Iowa? When did they move to Norman, as that is where George was a high school wide receiver?

You wouldn’t think 49ers tight end George Kittle would have an opinion on the Bears, but he does. He was adamant Monday that they should keep quarterback Justin Fields and trade down from the No. 1 pick to acquire assets to build around him.

“Wow, this is putting me on the spot — all of Chicago is listening to this,” he said at Super Bowl Opening Night. “What the Bears should do is trade back as many picks as they can and build around a guy they’ve been trying to build around.

“Give the guy some actual options — he has options, but help him out as much as you possibly can. Build him up as big as you can and trust the kid.”

Kittle, who is from Madison, Wis., and grew up in Iowa, said he was a Bears fan as a kid.

The Bears could have had him, of course, but when they needed a tight end in 2017, former general manager Ryan Pace chose Adam Shaheen in the second round. The 49ers picked Kittle in the fifth at No. 147 overall, one spot ahead of the Bears in that round.

Shaheen has 50 catches for 509 yards and seven touchdowns in his career. Kittle has averaged 66 catches, 896 yards and five touchdowns over his seven-year career and has been an All-Pro twice.

Christ - thanks for the reminder of the Shaheen pick! I don't disagree with his thoughts; but a huge decision for Poles. Take Williams who some "experts" believe has a ceiling of Mahomes or better, while getting him on a rookie contract to save a lot of cap money, or trade down and most likely get the largest draft haul ever. The signing of Kliff Kingsbury for Washington seems to mean they are going to do everything in their power to trade up for Williams.

Career making call for Poles. Assuming the trade capital is as high as some think, I would be happy either way, unless he goes completely sideways and takes Maye

He's right. It's exactly what they should do. Fields' ceiling hasn't even been sniffed, yet. They should try to figure out how to get to it.
No. Pretty sure we know who Fields is. Dynamic runner but mediocre passer. He doesn't read the field well and isn't very accurate.

I'm not a Bears fan but if I were, I'd want to grab Caleb Williams

Reactions: IANDFAN
That’s what they should do. Dumb to start back at square 1 with a new QB that given the Bear’s track record is likely to be a bust anyway.

Get some top level receivers and offensive linemen and there’s no reason the Bears can’t be playoff competitive with Fields at QB.

But they will start from scratch and inevitably f—-k it up because they are the Bears. Sigh.

No. Pretty sure we know who Fields is. Dynamic runner but mediocre passer. He doesn't read the field well and isn't very accurate.

That's been the hit on Lamar Jackson every year until now...where he led the NFL in passing efficiency. I've seen nothing out of Caleb Williams to make me think he's an upgrade at that position, whatsoever.

Bruce is a Cedar Falls native who played on Hayden’s first rose bowl team. George briefly attended CF.

If they can get a kings ransom for the pick they should trade. The thing is I’m not sure there’s a team willing to trade. Is there a team willing to deal three first round picks? Or a team willing to send two first rounders and a pro bowl player. For instance, would the bears take the Commanders first pick, another first round pick, plus one of their wide receivers to swap?

That's been the hit on Lamar Jackson every year until now...where he led the NFL in passing efficiency. I've seen nothing out of Caleb Williams to make me think he's an upgrade at that position, whatsoever.
I think Caleb has a better arm talent than Fields, but JF is certainly an elite pass/run QB option

If they can get a kings ransom for the pick they should trade. The thing is I’m not sure there’s a team willing to trade. Is there a team willing to deal three first round picks? Or a team willing to send two first rounders and a pro bowl player. For instance, would the bears take the Commanders first pick, another first round pick, plus one of their wide receivers to swap?
Offer it to the Rams for Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald.

I dunno why, but something tells me Williams would be a disaster in Chicago.

The Bears have multiple needs, and no doubt could get a boatload of picks for the #1 slot AND still get a seriously high #1 in this year's draft with that. Washington, the Giants, NE, Atlanta - all pretty much need QB's of their futures - and don't forget the Bears got their own #10 pick also.

Is Fields a great QB (or rather, WILL he be a great QB)? No, not yet anyway - but he made some pretty good progress into becoming one this past season. It'd sure as hell help him greatly to get maybe a decently high level starting OL, a starting WR, etc to surround him with out of this year's draft - and possibly out of next year5's draft too.

I just don't see Williams being a December Soldier Field weather type QB - but I do see Fields being that, especially if you give him more quality help.

The Bears front office is one of the few that is worse than that of the Dolphins

Kinda disagree on this point - I think they’re improving and have made some better moves.

I’m torn on Fields - I think the potential is there but he didn’t take as big of a step last year as I hoped; but at the same time I don’t think Getsy did a great job developing the passing game.

IF someone makes a godfather offer for fields or the #1 pick I say pull the trigger. As far as Williams, the talent is there, but there’s a lot of off-field smoke that makes me suspicious, and idk if I’m willing to pull the trigger on another UNC quarterback.

Frankly, if they wanted to use that pick on Harrison Jr I wouldn’t say that was a terrible pick tho I’d rather trade down a couple spots to do so.

Everyone else seems to have figured out that it doesn't matter how good your quarterback is if there is nobody else on the offense that can make a play. Only the Bears seem to be lost on that concept. There's a reason Caleb Williams does not want to end up in Chicago.

Reactions: torbee
He's right. It's exactly what they should do. Fields' ceiling hasn't even been sniffed, yet. They should try to figure out how to get to it.
I'm with you, the contract money will come into play too, assuming they pick up his 5th year he would be primed for a huge pay increase in 2026.

If you think Williams is a close talent you could defer that expense with a new rookie contract.

Reactions: FAUlty Gator
Kinda disagree on this point - I think they’re improving and have made some better moves.

I’m torn on Fields - I think the potential is there but he didn’t take as big of a step last year as I hoped; but at the same time I don’t think Getsy did a great job developing the passing game.

IF someone makes a godfather offer for fields or the #1 pick I say pull the trigger. As far as Williams, the talent is there, but there’s a lot of off-field smoke that makes me suspicious, and idk if I’m willing to pull the trigger on another UNC quarterback.

Frankly, if they wanted to use that pick on Harrison Jr I wouldn’t say that was a terrible pick tho I’d rather trade down a couple spots to do so.
The problem of Fields was the issue that he has at Ohio State....slow processing time and release. And still lose with the ball in his hands. Its easy to run all those yards in 2022 when the defense is man coverage all day but now they have a spy and Fields had to play quarterback. He didnt do enough to saude the Bears away from QB at #1. If Bears only had #9, Fields stays but no longer now with #1.

Getting a haul for #1 sounds cool. If the Bengals traded #1 (Burrow) I wonder how they would've felt about the haul then.

The problem of Fields was the issue that he has at Ohio State....slow processing time and release. And still lose with the ball in his hands. Its easy to run all those yards in 2022 when the defense is man coverage all day but now they have a spy and Fields had to play quarterback. He didnt do enough to saude the Bears away from QB at #1. If Bears only had #9, Fields stays but no longer now with #1.

Getting a haul for #1 sounds cool. If the Bengals traded #1 (Burrow) I wonder how they would've felt about the haul then.

The part that counts is what they can get for Fields.

The part that counts is what they can get for Fields.
The interesting thing is that there teams in the league that the issues with Justin was more offense-related than him. Which is true as Getsy has been fired. That shows there are still some teams that view Fields very high and in a league where Zach Wilson and Tommy DeVito starting, getting a QB with potential/athleticism like Fields could be big money. All entirely depends on FA next month.

I'm a Chiefs fan and agree with Kittle. As for the comparisons of Caleb Williams to Mahomes I find those laughable.

Williams may have skills but he is as soft as baby shit. Whether you like Mahomes or not even his biggest detractors would admit he's not soft.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
What does Fields think about playing WR? He doesn't have a future as a top-flight NFL quarterback. Having said that, the Bears didn't protect him or give him enough weapons.

I'm not convinced that Williams is the answer though. I have a gut feeling about him that he's going to be a bust.

I agree with the protection issues at times; but the RBs/WR/TE positions were not actually too bad. I just don't think Getsy utilized the group all that well, or Fields focused a bit too much on DJ Moore at times. I do think they could use a #2 WR; but I am not convinced Mooney suddenly regressed to a #4/#5 WR. Unlikely he is back, so draft or FA definitely needs to bring in a couple of candidates for the position and hopefully one works out to be a #2 WR. I am happy with their current RB situation and Kmet can def be a #1 option at TE for them. Of course, if the o-line cannot protect and Kmet has to stay in and block, that's another problem.

Although Burrow was about as good of a guarantee you are going to get at QB.

I'm a Chiefs fan and agree with Kittle. As for the comparisons of Caleb Williams to Mahomes I find those laughable.

Williams may have skills but he is as soft as baby shit. Whether you like Mahomes or not even his biggest detractors would admit he's not soft.
On the other hand, when Mahomes journeyed to Ames to play the Cyclones one Saturday afternoon, Mahomes resembled Petrous/Deacon Hill most of that day. He absolutely stunk. That day. Fields has made huge improvement in his game the past year….,.,.Now the Bears needs to step up and give him some 1) protection, and ten 2) some weapons!
I can’t think of an NFL QB who has survived running for his life damn near every time he dropPed back and then trying to see if he completed a 10 yd pass looking up from the grass from his back.

I’m leaning towards trading the pick if we can get a haul, which is maybe my Bears QB drafting PTSD showing. Poles better be damn sure on Williams if he takes him. You get enough picks you can take a flyer on Penix if he’s there in 3rd round too

The Bears need to take a QB in this draft. Would love Williams at #1. Or trade down a spot, bring in more picks and take Maye.

Fields is not the long term answer. If you commit to him this year, either you give him a huge long term contract or you move on and almost assuredly won’t have have a top pick in a weaker QB class next year. Fields is indecisive and has trouble reading defenses. He holds on to the ball way too long.

And that was a no-win question to Kittle. What is he going to say? Fields sucks and they should move on? No player is going yo say that.

Reactions: cigaretteman

why not trade down to 2, pick up Maye and the Commanders first pick next year and maybe another 2nd. You could trade Fields . I am in the camp of trade down several times in the first, as long as you get Joe Alt and at minimum Keon Coleman at receiver. Add 2 to 3 first round picks for next years draft.

Reactions: lucas80
why not trade down to 2, pick up Maye and the Commanders first pick next year and maybe another 2nd. You could trade Fields . I am in the camp of trade down several times in the first, as long as you get Joe Alt and at minimum Keon Coleman at receiver. Add 2 to 3 first round picks for next years draft.
I don't think a lack of draft picks is the Bears problem here. They need a QB. Most people believe Caleb Williams is a once every 5 to 10 year type of prospect. If they pass on Caleb Williams and he becomes the next Mahomes, then that is a pretty bad look. Obviously, if you think Maye is a better QB, then that makes sense to move down and pick him.

Either way, I think it's time to move off Fields but I'm not a Bears fan. I've just never seen a fanbase who "talks themselves" into thinking a shitty or mediocre qb is good more than the Bears.

This is a huge decision for the Bears. Can you imagine passing on CJ Stroud and Caleb Williams in consecutive years? If Stroud and Williams both go onto careers as consistent top 5-10 QBs in the league and Fields doesn't pan out, Bears fans will look back for all of eternity at the 2023 and 2024 drafts as colossal f-ups.

Bear fans already get to look at what could have been with Mahomes instead of Trubisky.

Why not add Williams to the list of nice things they could have had.

• Sad
Reactions: QChawks
If my job as a GM depended on Caleb Williams becoming the next Patrick Mahomes, I would keep my resume updated and ready to print out.

Reactions: lucas80
Not a Bears fan, but Fields is nowhere near what Lamar has been even at that stage. LJ won the MVP his second season in the league.

I don't know how else to say this but I think Bears fans HIGHLY overrate Justin Fields. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I dunno why, but something tells me Williams would be a disaster in Chicago.

The Bears have multiple needs, and no doubt could get a boatload of picks for the #1 slot AND still get a seriously high #1 in this year's draft with that. Washington, the Giants, NE, Atlanta - all pretty much need QB's of their futures - and don't forget the Bears got their own #10 pick also.

Is Fields a great QB (or rather, WILL he be a great QB)? No, not yet anyway - but he made some pretty good progress into becoming one this past season. It'd sure as hell help him greatly to get maybe a decently high level starting OL, a starting WR, etc to surround him with out of this year's draft - and possibly out of next year5's draft too.

I just don't see Williams being a December Soldier Field weather type QB - but I do see Fields being that, especially if you give him more quality help.
I have to say, as a Gonzaga dad, even though I hate the commanders, it would be pretty damn cool for Caleb to come back to dc.

If my job as a GM depended on Caleb Williams becoming the next Patrick Mahomes, I would keep my resume updated and ready to print out.
Here's the thing though. If the GM passes on Williams (after basically passing on Stroud last year) and Caleb becomes an elite franchise QB, that can get him fired as well.

He can continue on the Fields/ build up the team route and that may get them to a 10 win season and a playoff berth and first round loss. But that's about the ceiling I see with that path. But honestly both Green Bay and Detroit are better positioned in the division than the Bears for the forseeable future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT