ADVERTISEMENT

49ers TE George Kittle tells Bears to trade down, stick with QB Justin Fields

Add the Panthers front office to the bottom of that list.
I actually don't think the Bears are in the bottom 3 of front offices. Raiders are a mess, Panthers are as well, and Cardinals aren't much better. Giants front office is pretty bad too.

Baker Mayfield could win a Super Bowl on the right team. We saw LaMar wilt, and we see Purdy shine.... I'm thinking, Alt, Coleman, and 4 total first round picks next year.

Reactions: darylhawk
I actually don't think the Bears are in the bottom 3 of front offices. Raiders are a mess, Panthers are as well, and Cardinals aren't much better. Giants front office is pretty bad too.
Ryan Pace destroyed the Bears

If my job as a GM depended on Caleb Williams becoming the next Patrick Mahomes, I would keep my resume updated and ready to print out.
Or stick with the guy that has thrown for 40 TDs and 30 INT’s in his first three years with the added bonus of needing to soon start paying him $30+ million a year to do it.

Reactions: srams21
People are discounting the intangibles and make-up of fields in this scenario a bit too. It's real and this new staff has talked about it from day 1 being a priority for the organization. If they dump the guy who is beloved by the team and exemplifies those traits to a T, they better hope it goes well with Williams early on, or the locker room is gone and they're all getting fired.
This last session was field's floor. They won 7 games and lost 3 in historic fashion mostly bc of the defense going soft. They can use this draft to fill in a few remaining holes and be set for the next 5+ if they're smart.

Not a Bears fan, but Fields is nowhere near what Lamar has been even at that stage. LJ won the MVP his second season in the league.

I don't know how else to say this but I think Bears fans HIGHLY overrate Justin Fields. Maybe I'm wrong though.
I'm not a Bears fan. I just watch a shit ton of football. Sometimes it's a simple matter of not having the right OC to utilize someone's talents. I would pretty much guarantee you that if Fields had Todd Monken as his play caller and system installer, he'd be heads and shoulders above where he is currently. I'd much rather have Fields than...

Mac Jones
Geno Smith
Kyler Murray
Mayield
Carr
Reddick
Cousins
Prescott
Young
Zach Wilson
Jones
O'Connell
Russell Wilson
Watson
Flacco
Pickett
Lawrence
Minshew
Tannehill

Reactions: darylhawk and Bro D
Umm, I certainly hope it was his floor.

He was 22nd in QB rating, 22nd in passing yards, 29th in completion pct, and 29th in passing success rate. He was terrible.
His RBs were hurt all year and so was Kmet and a bunch of linemen. Granted he should have played better but they were missing a lot of pieces. Darnell Mooney can get you so far in this league.

I'm not a Bears fan. I just watch a shit ton of football. Sometimes it's a simple matter of not having the right OC to utilize someone's talents. I would pretty much guarantee you that if Fields had Todd Monken as his play caller and system installer, he'd be heads and shoulders above where he is currently. I'd much rather have Fields than...

Mac Jones
Geno Smith
Kyler Murray
Mayield
Carr
Reddick
Cousins
Prescott
Young
Zach Wilson
Jones
O'Connell
Russell Wilson
Watson
Flacco
Pickett
Lawrence
Minshew
Tannehill
I'm not going over every one of those QBs but hell no on Fields being better than Dak or Cousins. Some of this isn't even stats. I watched the last Chicago vs Green Bay game and Fields was awful. He wasn't making basic reads or progressions. He threw what should have been a pick right to the Packers defender in the end zone.

I mean, everyone says if this Fields had this OC or that coach or these weapons or that OL. They went out and improved his weapons. He got a legit number one WR and has a pretty darn good TE in Kmet. Heck, look what Stroud did. Went into a team that almost everyone agreed had the worst roster in the league. He led them to a division title and second round of the playoffs.

I don't doubt there are elements around him that could be better (OL, coaching) but almost every QB has some of those challenges. For me, Fields does not pass the eye test and I watch the Bears almost more than any other team in the league. His stats are actually somehow slightly better than how he looks. Maybe you are right and it's just the OC but I have a hard time seeing that when he struggles with basic progressions and reads. He is very athletic though.

His RBs were hurt all year and so was Kmet and a bunch of linemen. Granted he should have played better but they were missing a lot of pieces. Darnell Mooney can get you so far in this league.
I mean, he did have DJ Moore. That's not too shabby.

Either way, I would take every other QB in his division over Fields. Goff, Love, Cousins are all better passers imo and I'm not sure it's even close.

I mean, he did have DJ Moore. That's not too shabby.

Either way, I would take every other QB in his division over Fields. Goff, Love, Cousins are all better passers imo and I'm not sure it's even close.
I think if you put Fields on the Vikings they're better than they are with Cousins...by a lot. And certainly would worry way more defensive Coordinators.

I doubt it. Fields is constantly hurt and throws a shit load of interceptions, is less accurate, and has a a QB rating 20 points below Cousins.
Playing in a dome and having Justin Jefferson is worth at least that. Oh...last I checked, Cousins was hurt all year.

Playing in a dome and having Justin Jefferson is worth at least that. Oh...last I checked, Cousins was hurt all year.
Yea, I don't know about that. Cousins did just fine in the elements in Washington without JJ. Cousins first year as the starter in Washington ... 70% completion, 4k yards passing, 29 TD to 11 INT. His leading WR was Pierre Garcon.

Also, this was the first year Cousins has missed a game since 2019. He has been pretty healthy his entire career. And one of the most accurate passers. I don't think Fields is anywhere near that.

Fields sucks. I hope the Bears pay him a ton with a lot of it guaranteed.

Basically castrate themselves for a half decade.

The Bears front office is one of the few that is worse than that of the Dolphins
The issue with the Bears is ownership. There are too many hungry mouths to feed who have descended from George Halas. Ownership is muddled with a 100 year old principle owner, and an unknown voting block controlling the team. Nobody really knows who has a voice on team decisions. The hope is that this time they are going to allow Warren and Poles to run things.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
I don't think a lack of draft picks is the Bears problem here. They need a QB. Most people believe Caleb Williams is a once every 5 to 10 year type of prospect. If they pass on Caleb Williams and he becomes the next Mahomes, then that is a pretty bad look. Obviously, if you think Maye is a better QB, then that makes sense to move down and pick him.

Either way, I think it's time to move off Fields but I'm not a Bears fan. I've just never seen a fanbase who "talks themselves" into thinking a shitty or mediocre qb is good more than the Bears.
They've drafted two generational talents at QB in the last 6-7 years. Trubisky and Fields were both high draft picks. Trubisky was a combine wonder who was overvalued, and Fields still has the potential if managed and protected correctly. No QB is coming in and making the Bears a better team. They are weak at far too many positions.

I didn’t say Fields is the answer. I’m saying I doubt Williams is either.
One thing you have to factor in is that Fields has been playing for a dumpster fire organziation for his entire career. You put him in Pittsburgh for example, and he becomes a star in the making.
Weapons and coaching all around him

Yea, I don't know about that. Cousins did just fine in the elements in Washington without JJ. Cousins first year as the starter in Washington ... 70% completion, 4k yards passing, 29 TD to 11 INT. His leading WR was Pierre Garcon.

Also, this was the first year Cousins has missed a game since 2019. He has been pretty healthy his entire career. And one of the most accurate passers. I don't think Fields is anywhere near that.
My point is that Fields ceiling is very high if he gets the right situation. And part of that situation is a good run game that allows him that takes pressure off of him and allows him some success at the edge much like Lamar had this year and Hurts had last year.

Not a Bears fan, but Fields is nowhere near what Lamar has been even at that stage. LJ won the MVP his second season in the league.

I don't know how else to say this but I think Bears fans HIGHLY overrate Justin Fields. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Bears fan here. I call them H1Mcels.

My point is that Fields ceiling is very high if he gets the right situation. And part of that situation is a good run game that allows him that takes pressure off of him and allows him some success at the edge much like Lamar had this year and Hurts had last year.
Lots of nfl teams run systems that work great for qb’s that are often hurt, throw a shit ton of INTs, and are about as accurate as Helen Keller.

Williams has a much higher ceiling and will be much cheaper.

Cuz Williams would be a rookie deal whereas keeping Fields means u gotta pay him a much bigger deal
Weeks ago the WSCR radio station asked severalGM’s confidentially what they would do. All said trade Fields
Fields still has two years left on his rookie contract and the Bears have already paid him over 70% of the original contract value. They only owe him another $5.6M total for the next two seasons.

It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $40M to sign Williams for four years, not to mention the opportunity cost of giving up all the draft picks they could receive to trade the pick.

Fields would be a better quarterback if he could read defenses better and make quicker decisions. He makes the line look worse than they really are.

Fields still has two years left on his rookie contract and the Bears have already paid him over 70% of the original contract value. They only owe him another $5.6M total for the next two seasons.

It will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $40M to sign Williams for four years, not to mention the opportunity cost of giving up all the draft picks they could receive to trade the pick.
Incorrect. He has a $6 million cap hit in 24 and if they pick up his option for 25 it is estimated that he will get between $22-24 million for his fifth year, according to spotrac.

They've drafted two generational talents at QB in the last 6-7 years. Trubisky and Fields were both high draft picks. Trubisky was a combine wonder who was overvalued, and Fields still has the potential if managed and protected correctly. No QB is coming in and making the Bears a better team. They are weak at far too many positions.
I don't pretend to know how good any of the incoming QBs will pan out. However, the Texans were 3-13 last year with a roster that I'm very confident in saying was much worse than the Bears current roster. They draft CJ Stroud and won their division and a playoff game this year.

No idea if that QB exists in this year's draft but the Bears roster isn't as bad as you might think.

I don't pretend to know how good any of the incoming QBs will pan out. However, the Texans were 3-13 last year with a roster that I'm very confident in saying was much worse than the Bears current roster. They draft CJ Stroud and won their division and a playoff game this year.

No idea if that QB exists in this year's draft but the Bears roster isn't as bad as you might think.
The Texans fleeced the Browns out of a bunch of picks. Stroud was great, but the team got a lot better around him.

The Texans fleeced the Browns out of a bunch of picks. Stroud was great, but the team got a lot better around him.
Yes it got better but not that much. Heck the Bears too added a ton of talent last year. Moore, Edward's, Edmunds, Sweat.

QB play really matters and can elevate mediocre rosters. Look at the Packers. Their WR group is filled with a second and sixth round rookie and a fifth round second year player in Doubs. Loves progression is what made them into a playoff team and I hate GB for the record.

Could they add more talent around Fields? Sure. But I think his ceiling is about the 15th best qb in the league in a best case scenario.

The reason this doesn't matter is that the Bears organization refuses to spend the money on expenses that don't hit the salary cap. They can draft whoever they want, trade for whoever they want, etc. and will continually fail because they won't spend on coaching, training, a strength program, etc. They had the most talented QB they'll ever have and wouldn't pay to get him a good OC.

If you asked Texans fans at start of 2023 they would say they really disliked to possibility of drafting Stroud and not Young. Young was the main guy and thought they got the shaft. Yet good coaching staff with Ryans and Stroud turned out to be a player. Funny how luck works out.

The reason this doesn't matter is that the Bears organization refuses to spend the money on expenses that don't hit the salary cap. They can draft whoever they want, trade for whoever they want, etc. and will continually fail because they won't spend on coaching, training, a strength program, etc. They had the most talented QB they'll ever have and wouldn't pay to get him a good OC.
Fields is the most talented based on what? Certainly no stats you can point at.

His QB rating, health, turnovers, and completion percentage are all the same.

Which is shit.

If you asked Texans fans at start of 2023 they would say they really disliked to possibility of drafting Stroud and not Young. Young was the main guy and thought they got the shaft. Yet good coaching staff with Ryans and Stroud turned out to be a player. Funny how luck works out.
FTR, I liked Stroud way more than Young and didn't understand the hype around Bryce. Way too small. Obviously I didn't think CJ would be this good.

I'd say I like Caleb, Daniel's, and then Maye in this draft but all 3 have potential. JJ McCarthy is also interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT