ADVERTISEMENT

5 Guys

B1GDeal

HR Heisman
Jan 21, 2005
They don't have one here in the IC area, so I don't get to one often. That said, while in Ft. Wayne we went and they have shakes now!!! When did they add them? This was the only thing missing... good move. TK... you like the shakes?!!! :)

They don't have one here in the IC area, so I don't get to one often. That said, while in Ft. Wayne we went and they have shakes now!!! When did they add them? This was the only thing missing... good move. TK... you like the shakes?!!! :)

last summer i think

Not a fan. Those fries everyone raves about are flat out not any good in this 1 guy's opinion.

Some of each order are pretty good, but 75% of the fries you get suck - mushy, undercooked, salted to hell. They are definitely a 'quantity over quality' fry.

5 guys was the last fast food burger I have had, and that was over 6 years ago. So clearly I am not a fan. You can get a far better burger at a sit down place (at least around here) for a few bucks more.

Yeah, Ft. Wayne is nothing special, but we go for a large tournament each spring. As for 5 Guys... I like it for a fast burger. I'll admit the fries can be hit or miss, but not having a shake was a big hole in the operation. I like that they added it. And, maybe if I had 5 Guys more than 1-2 per year I wouldn't like it much either, but when you don't have it as an option very often you like it.

5 guys was the last fast food burger I have had, and that was over 6 years ago. So clearly I am not a fan. You can get a far better burger at a sit down place (at least around here) for a few bucks more.

It is as good as a sit down burger, I think. I think you are just paying more for the waiter and other stuff.

Who could forget this review. I can't eat burgers anymore but before I quit them 5 Guys topped my list.

Yeah, Ft. Wayne is nothing special, but we go for a large tournament each spring. As for 5 Guys... I like it for a fast burger. I'll admit the fries can be hit or miss, but not having a shake was a big hole in the operation. I like that they added it. And, maybe if I had 5 Guys more than 1-2 per year I wouldn't like it much either, but when you don't have it as an option very often you like it.
Depends on what you have in the interim, I guess. I was always a fan of the
Big Mac back in the day. In modern times I have about 2 of them per year. Still pretty good, but it seems that they're never quite as good as I thought they were going to be.

It is as good as a sit down burger, I think. I think you are just paying more for the waiter and other stuff.
The patty is too thin, the vegetable options are limited, and of mediocre quality, and the bun is nothing to rave about. To say 5 guys and a nice, sit-down burger are in the same ballpark is to display massive amounts of ignorance. And quite possibly white trash

I've never had 5 guys but after roughly 60 years of fast food burgers at varying frequencies (very few in modern times), I'd say the chance of 5 guys being as good as even an average sit-down burger is pretty small. I rarely eat out but I've had several burgers at Okoboji Grill in IC which knocked the snot out of any fast food burger I've ever had. Granted, a little more expensive, but you won't care about the quality of the fries (actually pretty good at OG) because your mind will be occupied by the burger.

The patty is too thin, the vegetable options are limited, and of mediocre quality, and the bun is nothing to rave about. To say 5 guys and a nice, sit-down burger are in the same ballpark is to display massive amounts of ignorance. And quite possibly white trash

What is good enough for you?? I think the patty is good for fast food. I did not say they are exactly the same, but they are close. Do you say any perdon that eats there is white trash?

I take it you haven't had burgers from many upscale restaurants. Go into a really nice steakhouse at lunch and order their burger...you're welcome.

So, you order burgers at a sit down place? Want to know how I know you're uncultured, white trash?

Had it for the first time last weekend in St. Louis. Absolutely unremarkable, and ridiculously overpriced. And the famous fries are also lousy.

I'd take Bee Bops in DSM over them every single time.

Reactions: swagsurfer02
So, you order burgers at a sit down place? Want to know how I know you're uncultured, white trash?
On occasion, yes. I occasionally enjoy a big thick hamburger with high-quality ingredients.

Like a previous poster said, go to a steakhouse, sit at the bar, and get a burger sometime.

I am a fan of the shakes...and the burgers. Now I just need to travel a bit to get one.:(

Reactions: B1GDeal
I am a fan of the shakes...and the burgers. Now I just need to travel a bit to get one.:(
Peoria's not too far from the Quads, Tom!

By the way, stevenpatrick, I'm in Seattle and had a decent burger at the Bookstore Bar on 1st Ave. It was definitely a fork-and-knife burger - too big and messy to pick up.

Best burger in the world is at au cheval, it is about $12.

You can get the next best at peter luger in ny for a few dollars more.
Yup, best burger I have ever had, assuming you add the bacon. I'll be in Chicago next week for an extended time and am hoping I can get there.

Peoria's not too far from the Quads, Tom!

By the way, stevenpatrick, I'm in Seattle and had a decent burger at the Bookstore Bar on 1st Ave. It was definitely a fork-and-knife burger - too big and messy to pick up.
I've never heard of Bookstore Bar, I will check it out. Met Grill's burger is really good. As is Palace Kitchen's. Those are in your general area when you come to town I think. You going to the Mariners game Friday? See you there!!!

I've never heard of Bookstore Bar, I will check it out. Met Grill's burger is really good. As is Palace Kitchen's. Those are in your general area when you come to town I think. You going to the Mariners game Friday? See you there!!!
I've had the burger at Palace Kitchen. It was very good.

Probably not going to the game - I'm on the redeye to Dallas at midnight. I guess I could go see a few innings, though. Is Felix pitching?

I've had the burger at Palace Kitchen. It was very good.

Probably not going to the game - I'm on the redeye to Dallas at midnight. I guess I could go see a few innings, though. Is Felix pitching?
Nope, Happ is scheduled to take the mound. It would be an easy light rail trip from the stadium to Seatac. I will keep an eye out for you Hawkeye cap and polo just in case.

Nope, Happ is scheduled to take the mound. It would be an easy light rail trip from the stadium to Seatac. I will keep an eye out for you Hawkeye cap and polo just in case.
Cool (but you're remembering wrong or misreading your post database: I have never owned a Hawkeye polo shirt).

Cool (but you're remembering wrong or misreading your post database: I have never owned a Hawkeye polo shirt).
I seem to remember you saying something about the doorman at a hotel in seattle commenting on your Hawkeye polo. Ah, I've been wrong before.

The Red Robin on 53rd St. in Davenport is the restaurant
for special burgers.

On occasion, yes. I occasionally enjoy a big thick hamburger with high-quality ingredients.

Like a previous poster said, go to a steakhouse, sit at the bar, and get a burger sometime.

I have done that and you are correct that they are very good. I was giving you grief based on your reputation of expecting the best. I didn't take you for a burger guy in any venue.

It's not really, I can guarantee you I've traveled this world more than you and experienced things you will only wish you could have.
In those times, I have found that a burger is a burger. The best rated ones are the ones that care more about the grease rather than the greens. This isn't a difficult concept.
Fundamentally flawed and trying too hard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT