ADVERTISEMENT

5 Positives Moving Forward:

BlackNGoldBleeder

HB Legend
Jun 23, 2017
1. Iowa is 8-2 and has a great shot at another double-digit win season.

2. Iowa has won despite poor OL play and an inability to run the football. Conventional wisdom would suggest OL play is going to get a lot better in the future, especially given the young guys we have coming up.

3. I like the two incoming running backs. I think Ladell Betts will do a fabulous job in this role.

4. Alex Padilla. I think this kid has all the tools to be really good with more experience.

5. Keagan Johnson. I’m not sure I recall an Iowa receiver with such big play capability in the KF era. This kid has NFL written all over him. And he’s only going to get better.

2. Iowa has won despite poor OL play and an inability to run the football. Conventional wisdom would suggest OL play is going to get a lot better in the future, especially given the young guys we have coming up.

3. I like the two incoming running backs. I think Ladell Betts will do a fabulous job in this role.

4. Alex Padilla. I think this kid has all the tools to be really good with more experience.

5. Keagan Johnson. I’m not sure I recall an Iowa receiver with such big play capability in the KF era. This kid has NFL written all over him. And he’s only going to get better.
Nice post BGB. A ray of sunshine for the board....... ;)

If the oline can finally gel, I think both QBs will be successful and Iowa will have a true QB competition. I hope Iowa could do something like Purdue does and have some rotation to confuse opponents, but I doubt the staff would do that.

I thought this was maybe the best all around game by Iowa this year. Minnesota played hard and I'm impressed by their running backs, they run hard and are quick.

Padilla, not perfect, but he did well and will keep improving with experience.

I thought this was maybe the best all around game by Iowa this year. Minnesota played hard and I'm impressed by their running backs, they run hard and are quick.

Padilla, not perfect, but he did well and will keep improving with experience.

Maryland game was probably the best all-around game by the team.

If the oline can finally gel, I think both QBs will be successful and Iowa will have a true QB competition. I hope Iowa could do something like Purdue does and have some rotation to confuse opponents, but I doubt the staff would do that.
good thought, but you are right - doubtful Kirk/BF would ever do that, for whatever reason they just don't subscribe to the coaching philosophy of letting the QBs compete during games....although they did finally 'give in' to playing the wildcat (with Goodson).

Looking ahead to next season:

-Offensive line needs a significant uptick. Either need some amazing recruits fast OR need JC Transfer/Portal help
-Desperately need more athleticism at DE position given how rarely we blitz
-TE play beyond LaPorta is a question, is Lachey or Yelverton the guy?
-We take Koerner for granted, will be hard to replace

-Offensive line needs a significant uptick. Either need some amazing recruits fast OR need JC Transfer/Portal help
All good points.....Lachey has n't seemed to progress much as a blocker and thats been part of our issue both running the ball and in pass pro. I think we'll be okay at safety between Castro and maybe Cooper Dejean

good thought, but you are right - doubtful Kirk/BF would ever do that, for whatever reason they just don't subscribe to the coaching philosophy of letting the QBs compete during games....although they did finally 'give in' to playing the wildcat (with Goodson).
They did it in the past and it didn't work well, so they are less-inclined to do so now, especially in-game. That's why the change against Northwestern was unexpected and definitely based on injury.

If Padilla sputters badly and Petras is ready to go, would you rather the staff stick with Padilla and lose? I would want the staff to do what they feel has the best chance for Iowa to win, regardless of the answer. Hell, if the staff thought that Deuce could lead Iowa to victory, I'd be thrilled. But not because I think he's better that Padilla or Petras. Because Iowa could win the game.

Agree..mo brown had all the tools...just didn't work out..I think if he would have had Campbell when he was here...he would have been something special

Great OP.

At 8-2, and ranked (a big thing) Iowa is still in the running for the Division title, and/or a 10 or 11 win season. Those are always good seasons at Iowa.

History shows when the OL starts slow as a group they tend to improve significantly between seasons. Plus, Colby is the one playing but there were other good line recruits.

Except the great center, Iowa returns every player from the offense.

DeJean runs like a wideout and hits like a LB. This KM is replaceable. We are replacing a good player with a better player.

Not sure PP is the best QB on the roster. It's not Spencer but we have two good recruits holding clipboards.

Agree..mo brown had all the tools...just didn't work out..I think if he would have had Campbell when he was here...he would have been something special
Mo Brown had the 3rd most receiving yards in a single season under Ferentz, and 5th most at Iowa all time. He was on a similar pace without Banks in '03 but missed six games due to injury.

Reactions: CarterHall
Great OP.

At 8-2, and ranked (a big thing) Iowa is still in the running for the Division title, and/or a 10 or 11 win season. Those are always good seasons at Iowa.

History shows when the OL starts slow as a group they tend to improve significantly between seasons. Plus, Colby is the one playing but there were other good line recruits.

Except the great center, Iowa returns every player from the offense.

DeJean runs like a wideout and hits like a LB. This KM is replaceable. We are replacing a good player with a better player.

Not sure PP is the best QB on the roster. It's not Spencer but we have two good recruits holding clipboards.
A little confused by this line. Are you suggesting Cooper is going to start over a senior Merriweather next year? We may be having to replace Koerner, maybe he's more likely to step into that role?

Reactions: pink shizzle

I think that you're mistaking inexperience for lack of ability/athleticism. Also, for some of the young guys ... there is still benefit to be had by continued gains in functional strength ... which is acquired by more years spent in the weight-room.

Joe Evans and Craig both have plenty of "quicks" and ability ... experience is difference between a good play but being a step away from making a TFL/sack ... to closing that gap and making the play.

As for the OL ... there is the issue of having things become so ingrained that it becomes essentially "muscle memory" ... that way you play faster, think less, ... and then can react more easily based on what you see on film ... so that you can get to the blocks you need to make. As a guy like Marshall Yanda can attest ... the devil really is in the details. Being fundamentally sound is where you start ... but, from there, you need to understand your responsibility ... and then have a strong understanding of what your opponent likes to do. When you put those elements together ... then you put yourself in a position to take away what your opponent wants to do. However, getting to that level doesn't occur overnight ... and you'll most certainly NOT see it from starters who are first-year starters as freshmen or sophomores.

BOTH the OL play and the DL play will do nothing but improve through the coming years. That's even anticipating the loss of excellent players like Linderbaum and VanValkenburg. Just one of those instances where the whole truly can be far more than just the sum of the parts.

If you look at our front-7 on D ... they've had times where they have high "highs" ... but then they can also have trouble disengaging from blocks and not getting to the gaps that need to be squeezed shut or filled.

There is still a TON of ground that can be made up through the coming years in terms of continuing to improve technique and execution. Furthermore, since so many of the D-linemen are young ... there can still be a lot of gains made in terms of understanding their opponents, reading their keys faster ... and ultimately being able to play faster (and with greater explosiveness). I'm infinitely confident with the skills of Bell and Niemann ... and I'm sure that those guys will make those strides.

A little confused by this line. Are you suggesting Cooper is going to start over a senior Merriweather next year? We may be having to replace Koerner, maybe he's more likely to step into that role?
Merriweather is already starting. Why would he change position? Koerner is graduating and I see Cooper DeJean moving into that starting position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT