ADVERTISEMENT

5 Positives Moving Forward:

And yet, they were out-played a probably deserved an L
If you were judging a fight on points, or something like floor gymnastics, which I've never seen but am told its judged on judges points, this statement may have some limited merit.

Football games are won by scoring more points. You deserve to win when you score more points than your opponent.

William Muny put it better to Little Bill.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
1. Iowa is 8-2 and has a great shot at another double-digit win season.

2. Iowa has won despite poor OL play and an inability to run the football. Conventional wisdom would suggest OL play is going to get a lot better in the future, especially given the young guys we have coming up.

3. I like the two incoming running backs. I think Ladell Betts will do a fabulous job in this role.

4. Alex Padilla. I think this kid has all the tools to be really good with more experience.

5. Keagan Johnson. I’m not sure I recall an Iowa receiver with such big play capability in the KF era. This kid has NFL written all over him. And he’s only going to get better.
I agree with all of this

As for #3- the two we have coming in look really good. GW has not impressed me so far this year and for me has looked very average. I would like to see #4 get some time as I think he suits our style more.

Reactions: LGEND24
Merriweather is already starting. Why would he change position? Koerner is graduating and I see Cooper DeJean moving into that starting position.
When Koerner got hurt this weekend, I think I remember seeing Meriweather slid over to FS, Belton moved back to SS, and Jestin Jacobs played the Leo/Cash position. Given that I think all of those guys are back (I think?), that could be a starting point for next year. But I could see a scenario where Belton/Jacobs could stay at Cash/Leo and either Castro (since there seems to be a bigger drop off from Koerner to Schulte than from Meriweather to Castro) or DeJean could work into that other starting safety spot. All assuming Koerner decides not to come back...

When Koerner got hurt this weekend, I think I remember seeing Meriweather slid over to FS, Belton moved back to SS, and Jestin Jacobs played the Leo/Cash position. Given that I think all of those guys are back (I think?), that could be a starting point for next year. But I could see a scenario where Belton/Jacobs could stay at Cash/Leo and either Castro (since there seems to be a bigger drop off from Koerner to Schulte than from Meriweather to Castro) or DeJean could work into that other starting safety spot. All assuming Koerner decides not to come back...

That's a real possibility. These guys will have spring and summer camp before next season. Think they slid Merriweather over due to experience this season. My thinking is Cooper is too athletically gifted to keep off the field. Think he'll jump Castro and they'll keep the Jacobs/Belton thing going at the CASH.

Or Belton could move into safety and Cooper or Sebastian come in when Dane moves into the CASH spot. Or Cooper could split time at CASH with Jestin. Many intriguing possibiliites.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT