ADVERTISEMENT

5 star guard, Addie Deal commits!

Wow. Bluder and the Caitlin effect!
Ron Swanson Dancing GIF

Reactions: CarterHall
We need to add to the front court, and we need Greenway.

Maddyn says she wants to play for Iowa so what's keeping her from committing? Iowa is now an attractive power and doesn't have to fill in with marginal talent. The last two recruiting classes were 4 and 5 stars except for Levin I believe was under rated.

Watching the state tournament finals on TV I believe she was the best player on any court I witnessed.

Maddyn says she wants to play for Iowa so what's keeping her from committing? Iowa is now an attractive power and doesn't have to fill in with marginal talent. The last two recruiting classes were 4 and 5 stars except for Levin I believe was under rated.

Watching the state tournament finals on TV I believe she was the best player on any court I witnessed.
Well, she's only a sophomore. I know it can be different for division 1 prospects but most students don't even start thinking about post-high school until junior year. She probably just doesn't want to rush the decision. But Iowa certainly needs to keep up the contact with her.

One question though, do Maddyn and Addie play the same position or will they be competing with each other for minutes? Second question, does Maddyn go by Maddie? Because if so, having the Maddy and Addie show will be awesome.

Still so happy. SOOO big for our program's future.

The good news is that Hays is hopeful to announce a commitment by the end of the summer. Hoping that we get one more recruit to commit before then as well.

Fingers crossed that our top recruits visit during our first and second-round tourney games hosted at CHA. I think having strong fan support and a PACKED Carver atmosphere is a huge advantage for recruiting 🤞

EDIT: Also, I LOVE her announcement graphic.

Last edited:
Well, she's only a sophomore. I know it can be different for division 1 prospects but most students don't even start thinking about post-high school until junior year. She probably just doesn't want to rush the decision. But Iowa certainly needs to keep up the contact with her.

One question though, do Maddyn and Addie play the same position or will they be competing with each other for minutes? Second question, does Maddyn go by Maddie? Because if so, having the Maddy and Addie show will be awesome.

Only a number of scholarships available. If she wants to play for Iowa, what's she waiting for? She can commit and change her mind since it's not signing a blood contract.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83

Can you imagine the atmosphere at Carver for the Ohio State game. Some of you may have been there. Deal was already favoring Iowa and Bluder's style of play. But that situation had to be magical.

Only a number of scholarships available. If she wants to play for Iowa, what's she waiting for? She can commit and change her mind since it's not signing a blood contract.
Idk why everyone on this board thinks they know what Greenway will/should do. She is a kid. Kids change their mind. Kids do what they want. Kids are in no rush. When she said she wanted to play for Iowa, she was what, 13? She doesn’t owe us anything and she will make her decision on her timeline. I’m sure Bluder tells everyone to take their time and make the right decision.

Idk why everyone on this board thinks they know what Greenway will/should do. She is a kid. Kids change their mind. Kids do what they want. Kids are in no rush. When she said she wanted to play for Iowa, she was what, 13? She doesn’t owe us anything and she will make her decision on her timeline. I’m sure Bluder tells everyone to take their time and make the right decision.

Of course you're right. It's her choice to make. But choices involve limiting factors, not the least of which is competing for players. Like I said, Iowa has become a power and filling the roster with high profile players is a given.

Sorrow is borne in the hasty heart, however those who hesitate are lost.

Reactions: shikreto
🤣😂😆the men’s team landing a top recruit…laughable. I had NO doubt it was the women’s team.
Fran can't even land his most talented son (I know, I know, that probably deserves an asterisk, but even if that incident never happened, I don't think he'd have been a shoo-in at U of I)
As long as that decision isn't to go to UConn or LSU.
Is UConn even that strong a brand these days? Seems like a lot of talent that dreamed of going to UConn 10 years ago are now wanting to go to SEC schools.

Fran can't even land his most talented son (I know, I know, that probably deserves an asterisk, but even if that incident never happened, I don't think he'd have been a shoo-in at U of I)

Is UConn even that strong a brand these days? Seems like a lot of talent that dreamed of going to UConn 10 years ago are now wanting to go to SEC schools.
You don't need to go to class, and you get NIL money from the eyelash and nail crowd.

^^^
Not picking nits because you specified "I witnessed", but Jenica Lewis from Johnston is the best player in Iowa right now. She's a true pg.

Would be quite the coup for LB because every elite school in the country is recruiting her.
Really exciting times right now.

^^^
Not picking nits because you specified "I witnessed", but Jenica Lewis from Johnston is the best player in Iowa right now. She's a true pg.

Would be quite the coup for LB because every elite school in the country is recruiting her.
So true! Everyone is all about Greenway but Lewis is SUPER warm to Iowa as well and I don’t see why she wouldn’t be just as big of a get.

I often reply to X posts about recruits with some kind of Iowa wbb gif (my fave is the one with Bluder gesturing to come join) and she has liked two such comments on posts about her.

She also did an an interview recently and mentioned how proud she is to live in Iowa right now and be apart of the legacy that is women’s basketball. AND she has been campus at LEAST 3 times. Probably a few more. Oh and she clearly looks up to Jada for obvious reasons.

Theres a lot to be excited about between Bjorn, Greenway and Lewis. It’s kind of why I’m rly hopeful Bluder can land Hays and then another W/F like McGaughy, Speiser, Henderson for 2025. The 2026 targets are very guard heavy. We need to have room for those three guards in 2026. We can’t crowd them out and we also need balance. Since the 2024 class was also guard heavy, it just makes sense anyway.

Last edited:
So true! Everyone is all about Greenway but Lewis is SUPER warm to Iowa as well and I don’t see why she wouldn’t be just as big of a get.

I often reply to X posts about recruits with some kind of Iowa wbb gif (my fave is the one with Bluder gesturing to come join) and she has liked two such comments on posts about her.

She also did an an interview recently and mentioned how proud she is to live in Iowa right now and be apart of the legacy that is women’s basketball. AND she has been campus at LEAST 3 times. Probably a few more. Oh and she clearly looks up to Jada for obvious reasons.

Theres a lot to be excited about between Bjorn, Greenway and Lewis. It’s kind of why I’m rly hopeful Bluder can land Hays and then another W/F like McGaughy, Speiser, Henderson for 2025. The 2026 targets are very guard heavy. If things keep trending in the right direction, we need to have room for those three 2026 Guards. Since the 2024 class was also guard heavy, it just makes sense anyway.
I would think that other schools will start to tell recruits that Lisa may retire soon so don't go to Iowa, especially class of 26 and beyond. She must be convincing recruits that she will be here for their whole careers.

I would think that other schools will start to tell recruits that Lisa may retire soon so don't go to Iowa, especially class of 26 and beyond. She must be convincing recruits that she will be here for their whole careers.
She did just get an extension on her 2029 contract. Would be enough to see the Class of 2026 through, and probably would be around the time she would actually be ready to go out.

I believe it's NCAA rules actually that a HS female athlete cannot officially commit to any school until June 15th after their sophomore year, and Maddyn is currently a sophomore. I can't imagine her playing anywhere else but Iowa.

Here is the story from the Orange County Register.

As you will read, the success Caitlin has had at Iowa and the national spotlight now on Iowa helped to land Addison.

Mater Dei girls basketball player Addison Deal commits to Iowa

The junior guard commits to the Big Ten Power after missing most of this past season with an ankle injury

OCR-L-HSGB-SAGE-MD-0302.02.jpg

Mater Dei guard Addison Deal, moves around a Sage Hill defender to put up a shot in the first round of the CIF Southern California Regional Open Division Playoffs in Santa Ana on Wednesday, March 1, 2023. (Photo by Paul Rodriguez, Contributing Photographer)

Dan Albano. Sports HS Reporter.// MORE INFORMATION: Staff Mug Shot taken August 26, 2010 : by KATE LUCAS, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER.

By DAN ALBANO | dalbano@scng.com | Orange County Register
PUBLISHED: March 12, 2024 at 8:05 p.m.

A challenging winter for Mater Dei girls basketball player Addison Deal brightened considerably Tuesday with her commitment to one of the best collegiate programs.

A beaming hue of yellow radiated from the junior’s social media page as she announced her commitment to Iowa.

The 6-foot guard missed most of this past season with a sprained ankle.

“GOD IS GOODDD” Deal posted on social media after committing to the three-time defending Big Ten Conference champion.

“Very happy for Addie and her family,” former Mater Dei coach Kevin Kiernan said. “She has had to sit and watch for a few months now and it’s great to see her fired up. Hopefully she can be back on the court soon.”

Iowa (29-4), ranked second in the nation, is led by high-scoring guard Caitlin Clark. The senior recently became the all-time leading scorer for NCAA Division I basketball — women’s or men’s.

Last season, Clark helped lead the Hawkeyes to a runner-up finish to LSU in the NCAA Tournament.

“I chose Iowa because of the coaching staff, culture, the conference, style of play and competitive level Iowa has been playing at,” Deal said. “And, of course, it didn’t hurt that Caitlin has all the success she’s had at Iowa.”

“Caitlin has definitely helped put a national spotlight on Iowa and she’s now a household name,” Deal added. “

Deal, The Register’s player of the year last season, suffered a season-ending ankle injury against Ontario Christian in the Nike Tournament of Champions in Arizona on Dec. 21. It was the Monarchs’ 13th game of the season.

In the 2022-23 season, Deal led Mater Dei in scoring by averaging 15 points, finished second in rebounding (5.3) and tied for the team lead in steals (2.7).

She played her freshman season at Pacifica Christian, averaging over 20 points in leading the Tritons to the CIF-SS Division 4A title.

Kiernan called Iowa a “great fit” for Deal, the No. 12 recruit in the class of 2025 according to HoopGurlz.

“She’s a big guard who can score, pass and rebound,” Kiernan said. “Iowa is a very up-tempo team that likes to push the pace. Addie will be good for them.”

Reactions: shikreto
I get the sense that Bluder is going to be running and gunning with Heiden and the 4 PG's for a while.

I am not attuned to the recruiting beat, but does Iowa need another "BIG" to go along with AD1? Someone that can run the floor like HS?

Probably, but sometimes maybe you have to go with what you have and build a team for the future rather than maybe lose a possible new recruit in order to get a player now.
And can also dunk.

And 65% from three and 98% FTs.

I believe it's NCAA rules actually that a HS female athlete cannot officially commit to any school until June 15th after their sophomore year, and Maddyn is currently a sophomore. I can't imagine her playing anywhere else but Iowa.
That doesn’t make any sense because there’s nothing “official” about a commitment. No paperwork is signed nor is any binding agreement made. It’s just a player saying she’s going to a certain school. There’s no way the NCAA can control what a high school players says she’s going to do.

Hannah committed to Iowa while in 9th grade.

Callie committed before her sophomore year.

Kind of hard to have rules on something that is just talk and nothing official about it.

Finley Chastain, a 27 recruit, committed to Tennessee in 8th grade.

That doesn’t make any sense because there’s nothing “official” about a commitment. No paperwork is signed nor is any binding agreement made. It’s just a player saying she’s going to a certain school. There’s no way the NCAA can control what a high school players says she’s going to do.

Hannah committed to Iowa while in 9th grade.

Callie committed before her sophomore year.

Kind of hard to have rules on something that is just talk and nothing official about it.

Finley Chastain, a 27 recruit, committed to Tennessee in 8th grade.
Officially commit in the sense that an actual official scholarship offer has been made by the school. That can't occur until June 15th after their sophomore year.

Reactions: Wadukester
Vivian brought in some super recruits that included girls considered #1 in their class.

I believe that was Tiffany Gooden. Back then they had Parade All Americans, and I don't remember the number of teams, but Vivian brought in I think it was 7 players from the top three teams.

Officially commit in the sense that an actual official scholarship offer has been made by the school. That can't occur until June 15th after their sophomore year.

Yes that is a rule and in most sports there cannot even be a verbal offer....but since you can make verbal offers in basketball and football at any age it really has no purpose. Even an official offer has no binding till signing day.

Reactions: chaneccooms
I believe that was Tiffany Gooden. Back then they had Parade All Americans, and I don't remember the number of teams, but Vivian brought in I think it was 7 players from the top three teams.
Tiffany Gooden, Attorney at Law, Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Yes that is a rule and in most sports there cannot even be a verbal offer....but since you can make verbal offers in basketball and football at any age it really has no purpose. Even an official offer has no binding till signing day.
True, I don't deny any of that. I was just clarifying what I meant when I used the phrase officially commit, nothing more.

^^^

My remark was based on observations I made on the televised State Tournament game, and I realize Lewis is more highly regarded. IMO Levin's performance was the best I saw during the games, so what's the big deal?

B/C Jenna is higher rated as a recruit she is entitled to better performances?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT