ADVERTISEMENT

50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach

Bonerfarts

HR Legend
Nov 15, 2015
Robert and Rebekkah Mercer are a threat to America. Nobody seems to know who they are, or just how dangerous they are. They've got billions of dollars, and the determination to make sure everyone lives their lives as the Mercer's instruct them to.

It didn't work on me. I saw him for what he was and is... as opposed to the lemmings who believed what he said.

How is this different than what google does? I buy a good bit of digital advertising monthly, and between facebook and adwords, and any number of other digital ad networks, you can definitely target people based on how they're likely to vote.

I've not exactly given permission to any of these networks to get my information, and neither has anyone else, yet they do it all the time. What's different about this one? What did they get/sell that google and facebook don't?

Help me place my rage.

Reactions: Denna_bsawINole
How is this different than what google does? I buy a good bit of digital advertising monthly, and between facebook and adwords, and any number of other digital ad networks, you can definitely target people based on how they're likely to vote.

I've not exactly given permission to any of these networks to get my information, and neither has anyone else, yet they do it all the time. What's different about this one? What did they get/sell that google and facebook don't?

Help me place my rage.
. Trump!!

Ns479pe.png

JSwx3oJ.jpg

Reactions: unIowa
Only Trump used Facebook for his gain? I don’t believe it.

Illegally.

You can use info off Facebook if you properly contract to do it.
That's not what happened here.

Plus, CA has direct ties to businesses run by Kremlin oligarchs, and purportedly shared much of this info with them. Now, you have a foreign adversary who can use the information.

VERY different than simply a domestic campaign using the info.

How is this different than what google does?

How is it different than what the Obama team did in 2012?

https://ijr.com/2018/03/1077083-ex-obama-campaign-director-fb/

Ex-Obama Campaign Director Drops Bombshell Claim on Facebook: 'They Were on Our Side'

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidson, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists.

When Facebook found out what they were doing, they were “surprised,” she said. But she also claimed they didn’t stop them once they found out: “They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side,” Davidson tweeted.

Reactions: The Tradition

Ex-Obama Campaign Director Drops Bombshell Claim on Facebook: 'They Were on Our Side'

A former Obama campaign official is claiming that Facebook knowingly allowed them to mine massive amounts of Facebook data — more than they would’ve allowed someone else to do — because they were supportive of the campaign.

In a Sunday tweet thread, Carol Davidson, former director of integration and media analytics for Obama for America, said the 2012 campaign led Facebook to “suck out the whole social graph” and target potential voters. They would then use that data to do things like append their email lists.

When Facebook found out what they were doing, they were “surprised,” she said. But she also claimed they didn’t stop them once they found out: “They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side,” Davidson tweeted.

I'll take "Not Including The Kremlin In Your Campaign Analysis And State Run Troll Farms" for $1000, Alex.

Reactions: dekhawk

Exactly. This part doesn't sound great:

"They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side"

But Facebook isn't a government entity, and if it isn't illegal, than so be it. I'll continue to buy access to targeted audiences, and would be stupid not to.

Let's be honest, once you share something with Facebook, it's basically public information at that point. If you expect any different, you're naive.

Help me place my rage.

I'm pretty sure every time you use Facebook, Gmail etc. you're bound by the terms of agreement - you know that 100 page fine print legal talk that you don't read and just click "accept" so that you can get to what you want. It's in there. I know Google data mines your email, why else do you think you write your spouse about getting a new car and in a day or so you're getting targeted advertising for new cars. That's how all "free" email services make money.

Exactly. This part doesn't sound great:

"They came to office in the days following election recruiting & were very candid that they allowed us to do things they wouldn’t have allowed someone else to do because they were on our side"

But Facebook isn't a government entity, and if it isn't illegal, than so be it. I'll continue to buy access to targeted audiences, and would be stupid not to.

Let's be honest, once you share something with Facebook, it's basically public information at that point. If you expect any different, you're naive.

A) this is a random claim from someone, who doesn't sound like they know all the details
B) if they thought it was "fishy", it should have been reported to the FEC, because "free data" would qualify as a campaign contribution for anything not purchased
C) the fact that this was brought up a while ago, and nothing seems to have come from it implies there's no "there" there

BUT, if FB was giving info to one party over another "for free", that SHOULD be investigated. The fact that Sessions et al haven't made a peep about it implies they already know it didn't happen as implied here. Otherwise, there'd have been hell to pay for it as campaign finance fraud and election fraud (unreported contributions).

Reactions: artradley

Help me place my rage.

You have given your permission through Google's terms of service.

So let's see if I have this right. Trump supporters are really dumb but liberal voters are so stupid a Facebook ad will make them change their vote? Wow dems got more problems than just the Russkies.

Reactions: INXS83
What info do you think was presented to make them leave their base and won't this be used in every election now?

Same kinds of stuff as now:

WITCH HUNT!
MUELLER'S TEAM IS ALL DEMS
WE NEED A WALL (even though the large majority of illegal residents in the US is ppl overstaying Visas, who arrived here on PLANES)

Are you really this uninformed on the topic, or just plain stupid?

Welp....there it is!

Nunes is compromised by CA (and perhaps Russia as well). Had to shut down his "inquiry" before the CA mess got into the mainstream press.

And, of course, "can't open it up now....it's just too late folks"

Either they got that straight from CA or CA got that from this article, they're tweeting the same stuff. Considering the source, I'm guessing it's fake news to throw off US readers from the fact that they are about to get hammered by Britain.

Reactions: Joes Place

WITCH HUNT!
WE NEED A WALL (even though the large majority of illegal residents in the US is ppl overstaying Visas, who arrived here on PLANES)

I guess I am amazed that the liberal base is this easily swayed. For a group of people that spout off as much as they do, they aren't very true to their beliefs but that must be the America we live in now.

WITCH HUNT!

You forgot Russian Oligarchs! Sexual Predator!
giphy.gif

Who clicks on online ads ?

I don’t think I ever have. I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out of that. Seems like a waste, I just assume they all are a window to a virus.

I google what I am looking for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT