ADVERTISEMENT

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

Originally posted by Dark_Mark:

Originally posted by SotaHawk87:
Our last three recruiting class rankings out of 64 power 5 schools..

Absolute slap in the face for the resource this program has!
It could be worse... don't be so hard on yourself
I think KF and staff would almost have to try to make it worse. But we all know they stopped caring years ago so I wouldn't expect much effort on their part. Thats a good thing, right?
394.gif

been meaning to ask this, are those the measurement of the OP's Wife/girl friend,

as for me ISUGGESTED that Garbutt and/or Hochady COULD play RB, what's the matter gallie girl already dissing Garbutt and Hockaday's ability to play RB.

I NEVER penciled them into ANY position, but you just did, and dissed them in the same motion.

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

been meaning to ask this, are those the measurement of the OP's Wife/girl friend,

as for me ISUGGESTED that Garbutt and/or Hochady COULD play RB, what's the matter gallie girl already dissing Garbutt and Hockaday's ability to play RB.

I NEVER penciled them into ANY position, but you just did, and dissed them in the same motion.
Sorry Kilroy but they are our recruiting rank your beloved KF brought us.

That being said if Garbutt and Hockaday play RB for us that means things have not gone well. They were brought in for D for positions that need help. Only way these 2 play RB is if AIRBAG strikes again and knocks out 5-6 people. One thing being a successful RB in HS whole other level of being a good one in the Big 10. Plus these two are 2 of the higher rated Defensive recruits in the class.

I agree that our on-field results have been pretty much inline with what you would have expected given our recruiting. Early in KF's tenure he far outperformed the recruiting because we found quite a few diamonds in the rough. Then that led to some pretty good recruiting classes that got us the 2008-09 seasons. Then we had the 2010 debacle and lost Melvin Gordon and our recruiting since then has been pretty unimpressive and the rest is history. Right now I'm just patiently waiting for us to find a bunch of diamonds in the rough all in the same season so we can recreate our 2002 results but Cinderella teams get celebrated so much for a reason - because the odds are against them and they don't happen very often. I'm a patient man though and I'm sure some day it will happen.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Mountain Man Hawk:
I agree that our on-field results have been pretty much inline with what you would have expected given our recruiting. Early in KF's tenure he far outperformed the recruiting because we found quite a few diamonds in the rough. Then that led to some pretty good recruiting classes that got us the 2008-09 seasons. Then we had the 2010 debacle and lost Melvin Gordon and our recruiting since then has been pretty unimpressive and the rest is history. Right now I'm just patiently waiting for us to find a bunch of diamonds in the rough all in the same season so we can recreate our 2002 results but Cinderella teams get celebrated so much for a reason - because the odds are against them and they don't happen very often. I'm a patient man though and I'm sure some day it will happen.
But, IIRC, Iowa used to get kids who had decent offers, even if their star rankings weren't spectacular. Beating out even an Illinois, UNL, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa State, or Northwestern for a 2 or 3 star kid is significantly better than getting a 2 or 3 star recruit with no offers.

Other coaches know what they're doing, even the bad coaches. A kid with Power 4 offers is much more likely to develop into a player than one without. Ferentz is a great developer of talent, but he still needs a minimal level of talent to begin with.

Originally posted by MateenCleaves:

Originally posted by Mountain Man Hawk:

But, IIRC, Iowa used to get kids who had decent offers, even if their star rankings weren't spectacular. Beating out even an Illinois, UNL, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa State, or Northwestern for a 2 or 3 star kid is significantly better than getting a 2 or 3 star recruit with no offers.

Other coaches know what they're doing, even the bad coaches. A kid with Power 4 offers is much more likely to develop into a player than one without. Ferentz is a great developer of talent, but he still needs a minimal level of talent to begin with.
I would argue (and have) that the on-field results directly relate to the amount of attrition (or injuries) they have in any given year. If the 'type' of recruits Iowa gets are forced to play before the are 'developed' due to attrition (or injuries), they are going to take their lumps on the field and the results will reflect that. How many stars they have or who else recruited them is irrelevent. I would say that most (haven't looked at exact numbers) of the kids that stay for 4-5 years are, for the most part, pretty competitive in their jr. and sr. years and why Iowa puts a disproportionate amount of less recruited players into the NFL. I think history bears this out. I don't think they recruit any kids that have less than the minimal level of talent.
Whether a kid with Power 4 offers is more likely to develope into a player totally depends on who is developing them. Many other power 4 schools are taking 1000's of kids with many offers and doing nothing with them (Illinois is a great example).
You, me, other fans, the coaches, everyone, would like to bring the best talent from all over to Iowa. Any thoughts on how to get them here? Until someone comes up with any answers, they need to get kids that will STAY in the program....

Originally posted by mikesright:
The worst part of this is that we continue to fail to meet our basic needs at running back and defensive end. We continue to take projects rather than quality players. There's no other way to put it - this class is a total freaking disaster.

Kirk isn't nearly scummy enough to win in this day and age. You have to "play the game" and make the kid want you back. They couldn't care less about the coaches actual commitment to them - they want fancy recruiting parties, hostesses, and false promises. Iowa should fill up with early offers then winnow down from with 30 or even 40 commits and every single one of them should be scared that Iowa might not have room for them unless they behave. You might not be able to prevent the Higdons of the world from flipping but at least we'd have a quality recruit, not like Graham who probably will be an academic casualty.
Think of the mess we'd have if we lose both Graham and Markel Smith. Two classes without a RB is not good.

Originally posted by Sterling_Wildcat:
Originally posted by mikesright:
The worst part of this is that we continue to fail to meet our basic needs at running back and defensive end. We continue to take projects rather than quality players. There's no other way to put it - this class is a total freaking disaster.

Kirk isn't nearly scummy enough to win in this day and age. You have to "play the game" and make the kid want you back. They couldn't care less about the coaches actual commitment to them - they want fancy recruiting parties, hostesses, and false promises. Iowa should fill up with early offers then winnow down from with 30 or even 40 commits and every single one of them should be scared that Iowa might not have room for them unless they behave. You might not be able to prevent the Higdons of the world from flipping but at least we'd have a quality recruit, not like Graham who probably will be an academic casualty.
Think of the mess we'd have if we lose both Graham and Markel Smith. Two classes without a RB is not good.
Is CJ Hilliard still an option at RB?

Attrition is an issue. The main cause is a lack of playing time, that could be caused by several things, not good enough(recruiting miss), better players ahead of them(good problem), not feeling they are getting a fairshot(it happens), homesick(recruiting miss but difficult to predict), don't like their coach(Kaz), lack of a compelling reason to stay(style of play, winning, overall experience), injuries, grades(recruiting risk)

So it is an issue and quite a few of the reasons fall on the coaching staff.

Originally posted by cidhawkeye:
Attrition is an issue. The main cause is a lack of playing time, that could be caused by several things, not good enough(recruiting miss), better players ahead of them(good problem), not feeling they are getting a fairshot(it happens), homesick(recruiting miss but difficult to predict), don't like their coach(Kaz), lack of a compelling reason to stay(style of play, winning, overall experience), injuries, grades(recruiting risk)

As I have stated numerous times, RB attrition has been the biggest part of our rungame problems, but I don't agree the lack of playing time was the main cause. Alleged female problems was a big part (Jewell/Wegher/McCall/Cocker) plus drugs, (Robinson/Garman) injuries ,(Johnson, Hill,etc.) and grades (Smith, Coe). Pugh was the only one I remember being homesick, but I may not be remembering correctly.
Don't remember anyone who left because they weren't good enough, didn't like the coach, or from style of play, so how do you come to the conclusion that quite a few reason fall on the coaching staff? Should they have bought wegher condoms? Traveled to Des Moines with Robinson? Put guards on the female rooms in the dorms? Took the ACT's for Smith, etc...
You could argue that Hill left for 'lack of playing time', but his injury buried him on the depth chart at the time. Or that Bullock was not 'good enough', but Bullock didn't leave.
Since Kaz was not the RB coach, you do not state one instance where the attrition was 'on the coaching staff''...
You are absolutely correct about attrition, but please support your theories about 'why' with case evidence....
This post was edited on 2/20 9:26 AM by MattFoleyHawk

Originally posted by MattFoleyHawk:

As I have stated numerous times, RB attrition has been the biggest part of our rungame problems, but I don't agree the lack of playing time was the main cause. Alleged female problems was a big part (Jewell/Wegher/McCall/Cocker) plus drugs, (Robinson/Garman) injuries ,(Johnson, Hill,etc.) and grades (Smith, Coe). Pugh was the only one I remember being homesick, but I may not be remembering correctly.
Don't remember anyone who left because they weren't good enough, didn't like the coach, or from style of play, so how do you come to the conclusion that quite a few reason fall on the coaching staff? Should they have bought wegher condoms? Traveled to Des Moines with Robinson? Put guards on the female rooms in the dorms? Took the ACT's for Smith, etc...
You could argue that Hill left for 'lack of playing time', but his injury buried him on the depth chart at the time. Or that Bullock was not 'good enough', but Bullock didn't leave.
Since Kaz was not the RB coach, you do not state one instance where the attrition was 'on the coaching staff''...
You are absolutely correct about attrition, but please support your theories about 'why' with case evidence....
Didn't Garmon mention one of the reasons he left, was due to the style of play/the way he "fit" into the offense?

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:

Didn't Garmon mention one of the reasons he left, was due to the style of play/the way he "fit" into the offense?
Here's what he said to ESPN; http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/73921/reports-iowa-rb-greg-garmon-to-transfer
But I heard other reasons. He's not going to tell ESPN derogatory things about himself when he's trying to transfer.

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:

Here's what he said to ESPN; https://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/73921/reports-iowa-rb-greg-garmon-to-transfer
But I heard other reasons. He's not going to tell ESPN derogatory things about himself when he's trying to transfer.

Since he had one incident with marijuana in iowa city, ended up doing nothing and in jail, there was probably some validity to what I heard.
I forgot Johnson got thrown off the team, but wasn't he injured before he got thrown off? Hard to keep up:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT