ADVERTISEMENT

5v5 urban soccer may soon be coming to downtown Davenport

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities

5v5 urban soccer may soon be coming to downtown Davenport​

The Bittner YMCA still needs to get approval from the City of Davenport and gather bids for the project, but if all goes well, the Y hopes to break ground in April.
Author: Joe McCoy

DAVENPORT, Iowa — The most popular sport on earth may soon be coming to Downtown Davenport in a whole new way. Urban Soccer is a 5v5 version of the sport, played on a smaller field about the size of a basketball court.
In 2017, the Bittner YMCA in Downtown Davenport bought the Astra Furniture Clearance Center which sits a stone's throw from the YMCA. Demolition of the furniture store is now underway, and the tentative plan is to build three urban soccer fields in its place. The goal is to provide a more economically accessible version of the sport that many love.

"Sports in general have really changed in the last five to 10 years," said Iowa Mississippi Valley YMCA CEO Brad Martell. "The for-profit sports business plan is leaving a lot of kids out that can't afford motel rooms and travel costs and everything."
The projected million-dollar project is still in its early stages, but if all goes well, the Y hopes to break ground in April.
"We need to get city approval through the City of Davenport, and then we need to get cost," Martell said. "We'll bid the project, there's about three different companies nationwide now that build this type of soccer complex."
The Bitner YMCA currently has a basketball program, partially funded by a grant from the Arconic Foundation, that allows lower-income families to afford their kids playing basketball.

Cedar Rapids will be ready for this in a few years after they build up another huge garbage pile that they can groom into play areas for children.

Reactions: torbee
Whatever you say, pal
I've spoken with the Y director down there extensively about this and other projects - he was actually a news intern back at the QC Times way back when I still worked there - and the goal is to provide opportunities to kids primarily from the Davenport Central district that don't have access to the high-dollar suburban club teams.

It's a great project and will offer great opportunities for many kids who have been priced out of playing competitive youth soccer. There is no reason low-income kids should be at a competitive disadvantage to the kids from wealthier school districts in a sport that shouldn't be cost-prohibitive.

I've spoken with the Y director down there extensively about this and other projects - he was actually a news intern back at the QC Times way back when I still worked there - and the goal is to provide opportunities to kids primarily from the Davenport Central district that don't have access to the high-dollar suburban club teams.

It's a great project and will offer great opportunities for many kids who have been priced out of playing competitive youth soccer. There is no reason low-income kids should be at a competitive disadvantage to the kids from wealthier school districts in a sport that shouldn't be cost-prohibitive.
My initial post was sarcasm but I’m happy you’ve explained this to everyone

I think this an awesome idea!

Soccer is one of the least expensive sports you can play, you just need a ball and some cleats and it's popularity is glowing in quickly in the QCA

Last edited:
Reactions: torbee
Pics of soccer moms?
f25e10f3fe7994cc25eb259c402703ac.jpg

bfe310d8f30e2a0373b65ad0a566e5ff.jpg

Ben and Blake have done some really cool stuff with this in central Iowa.

5v5 urban soccer may soon be coming to downtown Davenport​

The Bittner YMCA still needs to get approval from the City of Davenport and gather bids for the project, but if all goes well, the Y hopes to break ground in April.
Author: Joe McCoy

DAVENPORT, Iowa — The most popular sport on earth may soon be coming to Downtown Davenport in a whole new way. Urban Soccer is a 5v5 version of the sport, played on a smaller field about the size of a basketball court.
In 2017, the Bittner YMCA in Downtown Davenport bought the Astra Furniture Clearance Center which sits a stone's throw from the YMCA. Demolition of the furniture store is now underway, and the tentative plan is to build three urban soccer fields in its place. The goal is to provide a more economically accessible version of the sport that many love.

"Sports in general have really changed in the last five to 10 years," said Iowa Mississippi Valley YMCA CEO Brad Martell. "The for-profit sports business plan is leaving a lot of kids out that can't afford motel rooms and travel costs and everything."
The projected million-dollar project is still in its early stages, but if all goes well, the Y hopes to break ground in April.
"We need to get city approval through the City of Davenport, and then we need to get cost," Martell said. "We'll bid the project, there's about three different companies nationwide now that build this type of soccer complex."
The Bitner YMCA currently has a basketball program, partially funded by a grant from the Arconic Foundation, that allows lower-income families to afford their kids playing basketball.

Jealous

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT