ADVERTISEMENT

700,000 expected to attend Sturgis motorcycle rally...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to attend the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota as more Americans attend large gatherings this year following last year's coronavirus lockdowns.

The rally kicked off Friday and will last over 10 days with 700,000 people expected to attend. The event was widely criticized as a "superspreading event" last year amid the pandemic, when about 460,000 people attended.

Some state officials have urged caution on the gathering, in light of the delta variant of the virus, but have said the rally can be done "safely" with "proper precautions."

Anytime you have a large group of people come together there are risks, but with the proper precautions and mitigation practices, it can be done safely," Daniel Bucheli, director of communications at the South Dakota Department of Health, told USA TODAY.

"We’ve come a long way since this time last year in what we know about COVID-19, with widely available testing and COVID-19 vaccines available to the public," Bucheli said. "We encourage all those attending to continue observing mitigation risk strategies and make the choice to get vaccinated to protect themselves and others."

Hundreds of thousands of people are expected to attend the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in South Dakota as more Americans attend large gatherings this year following last year's coronavirus lockdowns.

The rally kicked off Friday and will last over 10 days with 700,000 people expected to attend. The event was widely criticized as a "superspreading event" last year amid the pandemic, when about 460,000 people attended.

Some state officials have urged caution on the gathering, in light of the delta variant of the virus, but have said the rally can be done "safely" with "proper precautions."

Anytime you have a large group of people come together there are risks, but with the proper precautions and mitigation practices, it can be done safely," Daniel Bucheli, director of communications at the South Dakota Department of Health, told USA TODAY.

"We’ve come a long way since this time last year in what we know about COVID-19, with widely available testing and COVID-19 vaccines available to the public," Bucheli said. "We encourage all those attending to continue observing mitigation risk strategies and make the choice to get vaccinated to protect themselves and others."

The "unofficial" rally has already been going on this week. If the numbers are only including the official week.....it would be low. Not uncommon for people to ride out early and leave after the first weekend to get the hell out of dodge.

At least you got something to cry about.

unless vaccines are the law this is the new normal. How many generations of your family will you pass the “shit myself 24/7” gene to?

That is a lot of drunken,tattooed, weed smokin’ motorcycle ridin’ morons on one place! But then, SDak is a good place for them.
I think we know which HROTer found themselves a long term Prospect and finally realized they were never going to get patched in.

85% Trump supporters. I'm good with this.

Reactions: 3boysmom
At least you got something to cry about.

unless vaccines are the law this is the new normal. How many generations of your family will you pass the “shit myself 24/7” gene to?
Cry? I applaud this, if there are less of those noise polluting douchebags in my town for even a week because they are there I'm all for it

Reactions: Jimmy McGill

Bet you are excited about this.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Nope. The organizers and bands were being roasted by many many libs on social media. And had vaccination proof.
Report is that there was no one actually checking the proof rather watching people just flash paper cards in the air as they walked by.

Reactions: 86Hawkeye
Report is that there was no one actually checking the proof rather watching people just flash paper cards in the air as they walked by.
Wow that's a shocker. Similar thing happened with fake ID's during peak entrance times from waaaaaaay back in the day for me and my friends. If you were even close you got in. Especially if you were female.

Reactions: haw-key
Reactions: noleclone2
It will be ok. Read the signs in South Dakota have all been changed to read.

Get your COVID 19 shot at

WALL DRUG

I've experienced the opposite. It's add 25%. RAGBRAI for example came through my town and it was crazy.
I rode it. Many teams combined busses to get numbers. Beer Lines on route were never long.

from my perspective Ragbrai numbers were done significantly. Still a great time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT