ADVERTISEMENT

8 KSU players positive for covid

I’m not sure how they’re even going to bring students back....everyday in the news you see more athletes positive nationwide. If the experiment was bringing them back safely it’s failing miserably

I’m not sure how they’re even going to bring students back....everyday in the news you see more athletes positive nationwide. If the experiment was bringing them back safely it’s failing miserably

Is it though? The article says they got it while they were not at KSU. Came back to school and got tested and are now in isolation. I would say it’s working more than failing.

Well lets just cancel civilization then.

My guess is that these kids didnt even know they were sick.

Shelter the old and chronically ill. Period. The rest of us go on with life. Does it really matter if 2k college age kids on a single campus get this? Id submit no. As long as those at risk are taking precautions we will be fine. Might there be a few deaths in this age group? Yeah probably. But speaking for my 2 college age kids, they are ready for school to restart and arent concerned about getting it. Nor do I think they should be. No moreso than they should be for getting any cold or flu every year. While this may not be influenza for the old and ill, it is very similar mortality wise for the young and healthy.

Is it though? The article says they got it while they were not at KSU. Came back to school and got tested and are now in isolation. I would say it’s working more than failing.

Agreed. The safest measure against COVID-19 is to avoid all human interaction, which unfortunately is impossible. Strict stay at home orders were to flatten the curve, which I think has generally been accomplished. Those orders were never intended to fully stop the spread. Life must go on.

While one can make a good argument that sports and other entertainment (e.g., concerts, comedy, etc.) can be put on pause during this, the fact remains that the athletes, coaches, and fans would all continue to be at risk even if the season is cancelled. Reasonable approaches must be taken, which is going to be difficult to define. But in general, I think the players want to play, the coaches want to coach, and the fans want to watch on TV even if they can't attend in person, and I think there is a reasonable way for that to be accomplished.

This
Were 200 tested and only 8 were positive?

Agreed. The safest measure against COVID-19 is to avoid all human interaction, which unfortunately is impossible. Strict stay at home orders were to flatten the curve, which I think has generally been accomplished. Those orders were never intended to fully stop the spread. Life must go on.

While one can make a good argument that sports and other entertainment (e.g., concerts, comedy, etc.) can be put on pause during this, the fact remains that the athletes, coaches, and fans would all continue to be at risk even if the season is cancelled. Reasonable approaches must be taken, which is going to be difficult to define. But in general, I think the players want to play, the coaches want to coach, and the fans want to watch on TV even if they can't attend in person, and I think there is a reasonable way for that to be accomplished.

You make far, far too much sense to be part of today's society.

Yep
And I am 71 and with many health issues that getting the covid would kill me but I'm not going to be running around a college campus. Precautions for instructors/faculty/coaches need to be taken but life has to go on.

They should just be asking for certain aged healthy adults to volunteer to contract the virus and isolate for 3 weeks. Put them up in an empty hotel and monitor for health and security purposes. Or on a cruise ship, lol.

I don't understand how colleges are going to have on campus classes and pack people in dorms. 1) that is a great breading ground for the virus 2) lots of professors and people that work on campus are vulnverable, 3) if a professor or student dies because of these decisions it is going to be a huge problem for the schools. Republicans know this so they are trying to shield liability for poor decisions.
This also creates more of an issue for college athletes. Being on campus, in classrooms, and in dorms is making it more likely they will get the virus, making it more likely to spread to the team. Making it more likely guys will be out. Heck if enough people got it at once, you could miss a game. And that is not even factoring in some states may have to shut down these events at different times.
Just look how hard it is for the pro sports to get going.

Reactions: mariner67
Yep
And I am 71 and with many health issues that getting the covid would kill me but I'm not going to be running around a college campus. Precautions for instructors/faculty/coaches need to be taken but life has to go on.

I thought the same thing about my dad. He's 72, has COPD, HBP, has a stent in his heart and had a pulmonary embolism. He got COVID and was "sick" for about 12 hours. Went to bed one night with a low grade fever and woke up the next day feeling fine. The only reason we know he had it is because my mom had more symptoms and was tested.

Protect yourself to the level that you feel comfortable with. Know and accept the risks you are willing to take in the activities you do.

they are ramping up the hysteria, beating the drum louder and louder, trying to find reasons to cancel the season

given the amount of time they have, they can use all of july and august and most of june, to make their case. they can build up ammunition

I don't understand how colleges are going to have on campus classes and pack people in dorms. 1) that is a great breading ground for the virus 2) lots of professors and people that work on campus are vulnverable, 3) if a professor or student dies because of these decisions it is going to be a huge problem for the schools. Republicans know this so they are trying to shield liability for poor decisions.
This also creates more of an issue for college athletes. Being on campus, in classrooms, and in dorms is making it more likely they will get the virus, making it more likely to spread to the team. Making it more likely guys will be out. Heck if enough people got it at once, you could miss a game. And that is not even factoring in some states may have to shut down these events at different times.
Many colleges and universities are going to a HyFlex Model, where some students are spread out in the classroom and others are remote. There are various dorm strategies, e.g., "bubbles" and single-occupancy only. These measures should help, but their effectiveness is limited by people's willingness to comply with restrictions. College students tend to be risk-takers.

Too soon to say it's working, but it's definitely not (yet) failing. After flattening the curve, the approach should be gradually resuming normal activities while continuing safe practices and ramping up testing and contact tracing. As a society, we're not testing and tracing like we should, abandoning/rejecting safe practices, and reopening some aspects too quickly. Responsible university athletic programs may well do better than the rest of the country.

Positive cases are to be expected.

It’s hospitalization and deaths that we need to be concerned with.

It’s my opinion that COVID-19 has hit the weakest immune systems already, resulting in the quick peak we saw. Moving forward, the virus is going to encounter stronger immune systems and as a result the peaks will tend to be smaller.

I’ll bet.

Reactions: Hendy hawk

Shelter the old and chronically ill. Period. The rest of us go on with life. Does it really matter if 2k college age kids on a single campus get this? Id submit no. As long as those at risk are taking precautions we will be fine. Might there be a few deaths in this age group? Yeah probably. But speaking for my 2 college age kids, they are ready for school to restart and arent concerned about getting it. Nor do I think they should be. No moreso than they should be for getting any cold or flu every year. While this may not be influenza for the old and ill, it is very similar mortality wise for the young and healthy.

Thank you for the voice of reason. Literally the response to college athletes testing positive should be "who the hell cares?" Tell coaches over 60 to socially distance and take precautions. But we can't go through this nonsense over and over of shutting society down and keeping healthy people locked down at home.

Positive cases are to be expected.

It’s hospitalization and deaths that we need to be concerned with.

It’s my opinion that COVID-19 has hit the weakest immune systems already, resulting in the quick peak we saw. Moving forward, the virus is going to encounter stronger immune systems and as a result the peaks will tend to be smaller.

I’ll bet.

Some might say crazy but I think that could be the case. You look at meat packing counties in Iowa. They have outbreaks and it his 3% positive for the population and then just stops. BV County did explode but once it hit 7% it has been just a slow climb to 8% and hasn't moved quickly past that.

There was the original talk that 80% of California would get it in 3 months if nothing was done. Didn't really materialize that it grows by leaps and bounds.

I just don't think their any more likely at all if their at school David. What exactly do people thing these 20 yr olds are doing at this point if their not on campus? Hanging with their friends? Maybe a weekend trip to the party cove like the mess at Lake of the Ozarks a few weeks ago? At least if they test positive at school, where they are getting tested, they'll know and you can isolate them if need be. If they were home, their not just going to sit at home, and if they contract the virus they probably would never even know, and would be much more likely to be spreading it. I realize the schools may be looking at possible liability issues, but we really do have to move on. Football or not these universities cannot stay shuttered.....

Reactions: unclesammy
Some might say crazy but I think that could be the case. You look at meat packing counties in Iowa. They have outbreaks and it his 3% positive for the population and then just stops. BV County did explode but once it hit 7% it has been just a slow climb to 8% and hasn't moved quickly past that.

There was the original talk that 80% of California would get it in 3 months if nothing was done. Didn't really materialize that it grows by leaps and bounds.
I never saw the 80% figure, but there was indeed exponential growth initially. The public health measures are what flattened the growth curve and kept us from having a large infection rate. Continued safety measures would also minimize the growth rate as we reopen.

Unfortunately, several areas across the country are now seeing their highest number of new cases and percentage of positive tests, largely because we are opening too quickly in relation to preparedness (testing and contact tracing) and willingness of citizens to continue safe practices. Where I live in California, the number of new cases is growing as are hospitalizations. Local ICUs are nearing capacity. We've had patients in their 40s and 50s get severe cases and the plurality of deaths have been in the 30-49 age group. Too many people are unwilling to maintain safe practices and some businesses aren't following public health guidelines. For example, we went to a nice restaurant newly reopened for inside dining, only discover it was trying to operate as it had pre-pandemic. The place was packed, with people sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, tables close together, and none of the staff wearing masks.

Reactions: BDJHawk
I never saw the 80% figure, but there was indeed exponential growth initially. The public health measures are what flattened the growth curve and kept us from having a large infection rate. Continued safety measures would also minimize the growth rate as we reopen.

Unfortunately, several areas across the country are now seeing their highest number of new cases and percentage of positive tests, largely because we are opening too quickly in relation to preparedness (testing and contact tracing) and willingness of citizens to continue safe practices. Where I live in California, the number of new cases is growing as are hospitalizations. Local ICUs are nearing capacity. We've had patients in their 40s and 50s get severe cases and the plurality of deaths have been in the 30-49 age group. Too many people are unwilling to maintain safe practices and some businesses aren't following public health guidelines. For example, we went to a nice restaurant newly reopened for inside dining, only discover it was trying to operate as it had pre-pandemic. The place was packed, with people sitting shoulder-to-shoulder at the bar, tables close together, and none of the staff wearing masks.

Local ICU's are not nearing capacity anywhere. There was never exponential growth of this virus, it all tracked with how other viruses, i.e. the flu, spread every year. Huge spike upward at initial outbreak, with the curve back downward as the virus went through the most vulnerable and weather improved. Note, I'm not saying this is the flu, it's much more serious than that for older people. There have been numerous data analyses that come to the conclusion that the lockdowns did nothing to stop the spread other than make people feel better about themselves. Forcing people to stay in confined areas with one another is no way to stop the spread of a virus. The only factor in the huge spread of the virus in NY, NJ and Michigan was those governors' decisions to send positive patients back into nursing homes. They were basing decisions on models that had their hospitals being overrun. None of which ended up happening, with the only result being way more old people died in nursing homes due to Covid positive patients being forced back into those environments.

This is from the "outbreak" in North Carolina. States continue to ramp up their testing. So we get more cases. The only thing that matters at this point are hospitalizations and deaths. Make sure we have hospital capacity to handle those who need that care. Have people practice hygiene and do things like not go to work if they are sick.

If you go to a restaurant that is not practicing what you think to be safe standards, leave. But protests have been happening for 2 weeks in major US cities with thousands of people packed together. Based on what we've been told, the bodies should be piling up in morgues due to lack of social distancing. The fact that is not the case tells us that we need to live our lives and not hole up like it's the end of civilization. Elderly and those with auto-immune conditions, yes, stay protected. Rest of America needs to get on with living.

Was the goal to have no cases of this virus? I was in favor of the "lockdown" when we saw other countries.

But, I never thought we were aiming for no cases. Players getting this virus, being tested, put in isolation, while still trying to get a major economic factor up and running seems to be pretty safe.

Reactions: Run&Blade

new cases due to dem protesters. in event, the country must open. if you are afraid, or vulnerable, stay home, stay safe. healthy folks should be taking care of business and living life

Reactions: unclesammy
Local ICU's are not nearing capacity anywhere. There was never exponential growth of this virus, it all tracked with how other viruses, i.e. the flu, spread every year. Huge spike upward at initial outbreak, with the curve back downward as the virus went through the most vulnerable and weather improved. Note, I'm not saying this is the flu, it's much more serious than that for older people. There have been numerous data analyses that come to the conclusion that the lockdowns did nothing to stop the spread other than make people feel better about themselves. Forcing people to stay in confined areas with one another is no way to stop the spread of a virus. The only factor in the huge spread of the virus in NY, NJ and Michigan was those governors' decisions to send positive patients back into nursing homes. They were basing decisions on models that had their hospitals being overrun. None of which ended up happening, with the only result being way more old people died in nursing homes due to Covid positive patients being forced back into those environments.

This is from the "outbreak" in North Carolina. States continue to ramp up their testing. So we get more cases. The only thing that matters at this point are hospitalizations and deaths. Make sure we have hospital capacity to handle those who need that care. Have people practice hygiene and do things like not go to work if they are sick.

If you go to a restaurant that is not practicing what you think to be safe standards, leave. But protests have been happening for 2 weeks in major US cities with thousands of people packed together. Based on what we've been told, the bodies should be piling up in morgues due to lack of social distancing. The fact that is not the case tells us that we need to live our lives and not hole up like it's the end of civilization. Elderly and those with auto-immune conditions, yes, stay protected. Rest of America needs to get on with living.
Your first sentence is dead wrong. Local ICUs are nearing capacity where I live, so it is happening in at least one area of the country. Your last paragraph is also wrong. Even with zero safety practiced there would be no bodies piling up in morgues right now as a result of protests. It takes up to two weeks just for a person to show symptoms, and as we know the virus's effect is quite varied. The death rate for this virus is fortunately low - just shy of 120,000 known deaths out of about 2.2 million known cases at the moment, or about 5.4%. There may not have been social distancing, but I saw a lot of photos of protesters in masks, so that would mitigate against transmission, but there likely will start to be a noticeable increase in cases where protesters live, even if not bodies piling up. We wouldn't start seeing the increase until now. The data is typically about 2 weeks or so behind what's happening. (And this is assuming that people get tested so that cases can be identified.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mariner67
Was the goal to have no cases of this virus? I was in favor of the "lockdown" when we saw other countries.

But, I never thought we were aiming for no cases. Players getting this virus, being tested, put in isolation, while still trying to get a major economic factor up and running seems to be pretty safe.
That's right. No cases wasn't the goal. In spite of the physical contact, the situation for players may actually be safer than it is for the rest of us, if they do regular testing, isolate the sick and exposed, and practice good safety protocols.

your first sentence is dead wrong.
Google Arizona hospital capacity right now. Their ICU beds are almost all filled and the state issued warnings to hospitals. It is critical there. Florida going down the same path also.

There are many flare up spots around the nation. Birmingham, Alabama, and surrounding counties are completely out of ICU beds. Arizona. Areas of Texas. Parts of Florida. People seemingly rushed back too fast.

We can't ignore it. But we do also have to live life. I like that players are back. And we're aiming for school in the fall. And living as much "normal" as we can.

But at the same time, distancing, wearing a mask when necessary, and just being smart.

As a nation, we've become too binary.

Well we’re under 200 hospitalized in Iowa. We are using roughly 40 ventilators out of 800 for COVID. The states that are having problems now missed the action earlier on.

they are ramping up the hysteria, beating the drum louder and louder, trying to find reasons to cancel the season

given the amount of time they have, they can use all of july and august and most of june, to make their case. they can build up ammunition

Im glad to be surrounded by nut jobs like you down here in Texas who simply refuse to put on a mask (making an assumption you don’t as all you post is ignorant bull****) To help curb the spread of a virus that’s caused a global pandemic. You sure you weren’t born and raised in the whack job state of Texas where it’s everyone for themselves and f*** everyone else? You sure have the attitude of many of the self-righteous, native bigots that I’ve encountered down here. Take your conspiracy theory BS and shove it where the sun doesn’t shine. You’re a disgrace.

EXACTLY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT