ADVERTISEMENT

Lester+Budmayr > Ferentz+Copeland

Grading every team ever ranked by the CFP committee by ESPN+ (3/4/2024)​

i
16. Iowa Hawkeyes
Record:
88-40
Average SP+: 15.0 (14th)

"The Hawkeyes have finished with a winning record every season of the playoff era, been ranked in more than half the committee's top 25s, had four 10-win seasons and played for three Big Ten titles. They've done all that in spite of posting the 74th-ranked offensive SP+ and averaging just 25.4 points per game (good for 104th) in that span. Honest question: What if firing Brian Ferentz somehow disrupts the delicate equilibrium that has made this magic work?"

Is anyone losing sleep over this theory? I'm not.

i
16. Iowa Hawkeyes
Record:
88-40

"The Hawkeyes have finished with a winning record every season of the playoff era, been ranked in more than half the committee's top 25s, had four 10-win seasons and played for three Big Ten titles. They've done all that in spite of posting the 74th-ranked offensive SP+ and averaging just 25.4 points per game (good for 104th) in that span. Honest question: What if firing Brian Ferentz somehow disrupts the delicate equilibrium that has made this magic work?"

Right? The amazing thing is how much harder our defense had to work to try and outrun our crappy offense.

The biggest thing is this. We have had numerous guys at TE and OL go on to do well at the next level. We had a wr who went to another B10 school (that most would see as a step below us) and did well. So talent is not the problem with our offense. My other thought is this had better be Barnett's do or die season. We have a veteran group (AND PROCTOR now), and there just is no other excuse if our OL does not play to their age and experience. (AND nobody wants to hear injuries as an excuse. Every other team has them and honestly when you have a ton of 4th and 5th year guys, all using that excuse says is that you were not getting the guys under them ready.)

Last edited:
Y'all are talking about Budmayr's ability to recruit, which is totally valid, but there is another factor to consider and that is the portal. It only takes a couple athletes to change the WR room and while we might miss out on recruitment from HS, recruitment from the portal might be a different kettle of fish. Of course Kirk has to allow this but there is no reason to think we wouldn't be able to pinch a couple prospects from deep receiving rooms elsewhere.

Both hires are not awful. They will turn out great.....you'll see. I'm never wrong about these types of things.

• Haha
Reactions: DewHawk
Copeland couldn't bring in talent, now we expect a guy that has never coached WR's, not proven himself in the least at his "QB gift from heaven" status, to elevate a dead horse WR room? Can't wait to see all the D3 talent we get.
I knew it wouldn't take long to ruin a positive post.

i
16. Iowa Hawkeyes
Record:
88-40

Seems to overlook the fact that Brian was also the QB coach for the last two seasons, and we had very mediocre performance from that position group during that time, which held back the offense and the team as a whole. This was a glaring deficiency in Iowa's offense to anyone with eyeballs who actually watched games, instead of just reading stat sheets.

Now that we have an actual qualified person coaching the QBs, how could Lester be seen as anything other than an upgrade at this point?

It only takes a couple athletes to change the WR room and while we might miss out on recruitment from HS, recruitment from the portal might be a different kettle of fish.

As a developmental program I actually think our opportunities with high school athletes improve, as many other programs choose to concentrate on chasing portal recruits,... Holding on to developed talent might become an issue however.

I’m willing to give Lester a chance.

As you rightly point out, recruiting is the issue. Copeland couldn’t convince much P5 WR talent to come block for Iowa, but somehow Bud will? Lol. C’mon.

To me, if you weren’t going to attempt to bring in a coach who might actually move the needle in the way of WR recruiting and performance, what was the point of firing Copeland? I’m not suggesting Copeland should have not been fired (he among a couple others should have been), but the point still stands.

So, if I got things straight, had Kirk had his way, the only change to the coaching staff this offseason would have just been Copeland (so he could promote his buddy Bud)? George and Brian were just fine. It was just Copeland that was holding the offense back, correct? I mean, according to Kirkthink, that’s what we are to believe, right?

I wish some of the fans who can’t ever seem to detach their lips from Kirk’s nutsack would take just a minute to pause and reflect on that for just a minute. One minute.

Oh, and when a team is statistically the worst in offense in college football and fans voice agreement that they are, that is not being a Debbie Downer. That is simply acknowledging the facts. Why that continues to be controversial to some is beyond me.
Exactly Ragnar. The idiots who consistently bash anyone who questions KF, his philosophies, strategy, game-day management, etc, can continue to bow down at the knee of KF. That will never change, so you just have to let that be. Who cares? All I care about is Iowa moving into the modern era. People are waking up and saying that offensive football is changing? News flash, it changed 20 years ago. Coaching hires don't matter here until KF Is gone. Until then, he'll still manage to the same philosophies and stifle any attack-mode offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT