ADVERTISEMENT

80 billion increase in defense spending?

CarolinaHawkeye

HR Legend
Feb 5, 2003
Iowa
Why?
21616000_1707662372579685_5126569183988586969_n.png

Reactions: BrianNole09
The bad part is, almost all of that increase will go to weapon systems. The Navy's recent issues have little to do with technology and a lot to do with training. How much of that $80 Bil is going to end up spent on training?
You will probably get a big boost in salary, huh?:D

The bad part is, almost all of that increase will go to weapon systems. The Navy's recent issues have little to do with technology and a lot to do with training. How much of that $80 Bil is going to end up spent on training?
We have this big, anti-boots on the ground thing going on, wouldn't it make sense to sound more on systems?

We have this big, anti-boots on the ground thing going on, wouldn't it make sense to sound more on systems?

No. Somewhere along the lines you a) need boots on ground b) need someone to operate those systems (see the Navy's issues) and c) need people to maintain those systems. That all involves training.

Reactions: cigaretteman
No. Somewhere along the lines you a) need boots on ground b) need someone to operate those systems (see the Navy's issues) and c) need people to maintain those systems. That all involves training.
Makes sense

Which is exactly where it needs to go - our training has been decimated the past 8 years (across all branches).

Reactions: Bro D
How many years you been using that argument?
It's been a good 8 years as the training has tanked - didn't see these issues of ships hitting each other, no live ammo for training prior to Obama.

How long you going to keep denying it?

It's been a good 8 years as the training has tanked - didn't see these issues of ships hitting each other, no live ammo for training prior to Obama.

The problem wasn't Obama, the problem was that 16 years of combat is completely unsustainable. The OPTEMPO is too high to keep people properly trained. That problem started when we went into Iraq.

1. What does this chart represent?
2. $80 billion increase per year?

. I don't know what his chart represents. However, we spend more money on the military than the next 10 highest spending countries combined.

2. Yes. We're currently at around $620 B, the NDAA would push us to $700 B

I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Pretty sure I was made aware of the possibility of nuclear strikes.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I grew up in the 70's and 80's. Pretty sure I was made aware of the possibility of nuclear strikes.

People forget we were closer to nuclear war in 1983 than even 1962. Good thing we didn't know about it for months. But, there were some scary times back then, especially when your dad was in the Army and shared things that could scare the crap out of you.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The problem wasn't Obama, the problem was that 16 years of combat is completely unsustainable. The OPTEMPO is too high to keep people properly trained. That problem started when we went into Iraq.
Come on Sgt - you know damn well that over the 8years of OBama our military was thrashed by sub-par training. Add in that Obama continued the wars vs getting us out of them as promised.

Come on Sgt - you know damn well that over the 8years of OBama our military was thrashed by sub-par training. Add in that Obama continued the wars vs getting us out of them as promised.

It started well before Obama got there. If you want to ignore that, I'm not going to argue the point.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
It started well before Obama got there. If you want to ignore that, I'm not going to argue the point.

But that doesn't support his narrative so it can't be true. I was in the service in the late 80's and our training funds were cut dramatically by the one and only Ronald Reagan. Meanwhile he expanded the purchase of unnecessary and useless trinkets that no one knew how to run. Sound familiar?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT