ADVERTISEMENT

9 wins is my threshold…

Eight of the 14 B1G teams this year had 8 or more wins. Nine of 14 had 7 or more wins. Setting a goal of at least 7-8 wins is not a high hurdle and is reasonable. Every B1G school has around 2 almost guaranteed wins at home vs directional schools, so it is not like it is hard to be over 0.500 for the season.

It's not so much the bottom end of the distribution that is important as is the top end.....would be nice to win the entire B1G once in awhile and I wouldn't mind a stinker season if it meant stars aligned for outperformance.

Correct, with USC and UCLA coming to the league and being historically much better than Maryland and Rutgers then all that means is there will probably be one or sometimes two tougher games for Iowa each year. That situation is just going to make it harder for Iowa to win a Big title. The hawks have feasted pretty well on the last two new teams in the league.

Iowa has been historically bad playing in the Pacific time zone, maybe not in some bowl games when they can travel out to the site well ahead of time, but to fly out on a Friday night I presume and wake up to play probably a late day or night game when your internal clock says it is midnight has to be difficult.

The Ferentzes or the next HCoach will have to really recruit and coach lights out to win a Big Title.

For the record. Meaning 8-5 is below what I expect. 7-6 makes me want to puke.

I do believe wins per season, meaning all seasons in totality is a big deal, with that said, this team has had a very good run, but we do need to escalate things next year.

I think surely we all can agree with that, even those of you that I think personally are really way over the top, but I think we all can agree we have to get this offense figured out and continue to play Iowa defense and win a lot of games!
I think Iowa wins 9 to 10 games. I wish their away schedule was reversed. They play Wisky, ISU, PSU, and Nebby on the road. Finally got a reading on 2024 schedule and going forward. Play 3 rivalry games every year, Nebby, Wisky, and Minny. There are 12 teams left. They will play each one every other year. Top 2 teams play for Championship. I think making the top 12 is best way to move forward. The way to early poll I saw had Mich. 2, OSU 3 and PSU 6. Iowa was the one west team in the top 25.

I think Iowa wins 9 to 10 games. I wish their away schedule was reversed. They play Wisky, ISU, PSU, and Nebby on the road. Finally got a reading on 2024 schedule and going forward. Play 3 rivalry games every year, Nebby, Wisky, and Minny. There are 12 teams left. They will play each one every other year. Top 2 teams play for Championship. I think making the top 12 is best way to move forward. The way to early poll I saw had Mich. 2, OSU 3 and PSU 6. Iowa was the one west team in the top 25.
At least Cade is our QB. I think he will be more settled in road environments.

Reactions: Bishop1971

I do believe wins per season, meaning all seasons in totality is a big deal, with that said, this team has had a very good run, but we do need to escalate things next year.

I think surely we all can agree with that, even those of you that I think personally are really way over the top, but I think we all can agree we have to get this offense figured out and continue to play Iowa defense and win a lot of games!
Threshold for what?

"the magnitude or intensity that must be exceeded for a certain reaction, phenomenon, result, or condition to occur or be manifested."

So what action takes place if you don't meet that threshold? You complain? Send a strongly worded missive? Fire the staff? What's your action here if your threshold isn't met?

Team could go 6-7 and OP will be back here in a year making more excuses and deflecting for his daddy
I think their a 9 win team minimum. Their 2 toughest home games are Minny and Illinois. They could split their road games at ISU, PSU, Wisconsin, and Nebby and piss away away a home game as is normal and win 9. If they lose to ISU all bets are off. I think 5 and 3 could get a tie in the west. Who else could go 6 and 2 in the west ?
At least Cade is our QB. I think he will be more settled in road environments.
He is a major, major improvement at QB. Look at College and Pros, everyone pretty much sucks without a good QB. I lived in Dallas durring the Super Bowl years and Dak seems to make mistakes at the worst of times while Troy made great plays at the most important of times. In fairness, Dak doesnt have near the supporting cast. It helps when you have Emmitt, Irvin, Novacek, and a great offensive line.

Threshold for what?

"the magnitude or intensity that must be exceeded for a certain reaction, phenomenon, result, or condition to occur or be manifested."

So what action takes place if you don't meet that threshold? You complain? Send a strongly worded missive? Fire the staff? What's your action here if your threshold isn't met?
He’ll stomp his foot and complain on a message board just like all of the others on here that don’t understand actual stats and reality.

Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
He’ll stomp his foot and complain on a message board just like all of the others on here that don’t understand actual stats and reality.
I could see 7 wins also. Nothing surprises me. Although This is a cupcake schedule, 7 wins would see some heads fly. It would be like 5 wins starting in 2024.

• Wow
Reactions: IowaHawk1994
Threshold for what?

Get rid of Brian, Fire the offensive line coach. Tell whoever recruits wide receivers to take a hike. Finally figure out if the strength coach is the right guy.

• Wow
Reactions: IowaHawk1994
You're not getting rid of the strength coach until the lawsuit is settled.

What if we have 8 wins and the offense is top half of the B1G? I love the "I'm not happy, fire someone" crowd.
The biggest problem with our fan base is the majority have an unrealistic expectation for Iowa football. We’ve had two wonderful coaches in 40 plus years that have created great stability in the program. If the upcoming trial goes in favor of the former players I could see Kirk and therefore Brian moving on. I don’t see Coach accepting anything less than total exoneration.

I think their a 9 win team minimum. Their 2 toughest home games are Minny and Illinois. They could split their road games at ISU, PSU, Wisconsin, and Nebby and piss away away a home game as is normal and win 9. If they lose to ISU all bets are off. I think 5 and 3 could get a tie in the west. Who else could go 6 and 2 in the west ?

He is a major, major improvement at QB. Look at College and Pros, everyone pretty much sucks without a good QB. I lived in Dallas durring the Super Bowl years and Dak seems to make mistakes at the worst of times while Troy made great plays at the most important of times. In fairness, Dak doesnt have near the supporting cast. It helps when you have Emmitt, Irvin, Novacek, and a great offensive line.
Yep if I were a GM building I would start with the QB and then proceed to build up the lines and expand from there.

And in my opinion the QB needs to be a leader. Someone vocal during practice and game days.

Reactions: budweb
What if we have 8 wins and the offense is top half of the B1G? I love the "I'm not happy, fire someone" crowd.
So what would you do ? I dont shout with glee when some one is fired. If we have have an offense in the top half of the Big 10 we wll be a lot better then 8 wins.

Yep if I were a GM building I would start with the QB and then proceed to build up the lines and expand from there.

And in my opinion the QB needs to be a leader. Someone vocal during practice and game days.
I think Cade will be a great leader and it will be a big plus on the side lines and in the huddle.

Reactions: Bishop1971
So what would you do ? I dont shout with glee when some one is fired. If we have have an offense in the top half of the Big 10 we wll be a lot better then 8 wins.
Me? I'd enjoy the 8 wins. I'm not the one with a 9 win threshold. I'm also capable of looking at the entire picture and recognizing that there are many factors leading to the output of any individual segment of performance and the record as a whole. Others seem to be incapable of going beyond "offense bad, fire coordinator".

8-5 at Iowa is like 6-6 or worse anywhere else. The yearly schedule is a joke. Six games are automatic wins with awful OOC schedule and Big 10 West garbage. Especially with a two decade veteran coach. Get a clue and you win 10 games easily at Iowa every year.

8-5 at Iowa is like 6-6 or worse anywhere else. The yearly schedule is a joke. Six games are automatic wins with awful OOC schedule and Big 10 West garbage. Especially with a two decade veteran coach. Get a clue and you win 10 games easily at Iowa every year.
Cause Gary can control who is in the Big Ten conference and in which division.

A kid that is in the NFC title game as QB who never beat Iowa was one of those "weak" teams we play every year.

Reactions: cmhawks99

That’s your, extremely uneducated and unsubstantiated opinion. If it were true Wisconsin would be doing it, that’s it ?

Cause Gary can control who is in the Big Ten conference and in which division.

A kid that is in the NFC title game as QB who never beat Iowa was one of those "weak" teams we play every year.

They honestly don’t care about facts, they literally only care about their agenda I among many other posters, have listed our strength of schedule over and over and over and over. Our schedule in the last five years is above and beyond OK…. Generally top 30 and sometimes top 15.!

USC and UCLA . Blah, Blah, Blah. We will see how they fare playing in Madison, Iowa City, Ann Arbor, Columbus in Late October/November. Should be fun. USC just gave up 46 points to Tulane. We all should be petrified. Lincoln Riley had the same kind of defenses at Oklahoma.
And Matt Ruhle? 47-43 college record. 11-27 Professional. Wow. Nebraska appears to be unbeatable for the foreseeable future.
Haha Hawks better find a much much better O, they struggled to score vs the worst of teams. And you can count on Riley and Chip Kelly scoring! those Os are OhioSt like, even better and we know the Hawks rich history of getting blown out vs OSU.

Iowa's SoS has averaged in the high teens/low 20's over the last 5 years. You are an idiot.

"... over the last 5 years."

2019-2020 - 13
2018-2019 - 27

(27+13+35+20+23)/5 = 23.6 = low 20's.
Unfortunately we often lose to the best teams that make our SOS top 25. There are notable exceptions, like Ohio state 2017, but generally speaking kirk Ferentz has become very good at beating the teams he should beat, but not getting us over the hump. I’m happy being a top 25-30 football program, I don’t see a scenario where we become a top 10 program year after year, but there is a chance we could catch lightening in a bottle one season.

Me? I'd enjoy the 8 wins. I'm not the one with a 9 win threshold. I'm also capable of looking at the entire picture and recognizing that there are many factors leading to the output of any individual segment of performance and the record as a whole. Others seem to be incapable of going beyond "offense bad, fire coordinator".
I have
Who in the hell would not be of the opinion that our offense is bad, if not terrible. What do you want people to think, every thing is great on offense, in fact their explosive !! Very weak post.

They honestly don’t care about facts, they literally only care about their agenda I among many other posters, have listed our strength of schedule over and over and over and over. Our schedule in the last five years is above and beyond OK…. Generally top 30 and sometimes top 15.!
Are you one of these guys who thinks the Big 10 west was good division. At the end of the season they didnt have one team in the to 25. An 8 and 4 team won it. Then they play 2 preseason cupcakes. What the hell are you thinking. Way to early poll had Mich 2, OSU 3, and PSU 6. I do think Iowa will win the West. Im talking the present not 10 years ago. Times are a changing in 2024.

• Wow
Reactions: HawkeyeRealist
Haha Hawks better find a much much better O, they struggled to score vs the worst of teams. And you can count on Riley and Chip Kelly scoring! those Os are OhioSt like, even better and we know the Hawks rich history of getting blown out vs OSU.
Dont sleep on Matt Ruhle at Nebby.

Your really saying your happy with 6 wins or going 6 and 4 every year. Two cupcakes every preseason dont count. Wow you really raise the bar high.

I have

Who in the hell would not be of the opinion that our offense is bad, if not terrible. What do you want people to think, every thing is great on offense, in fact their explosive !! Very weak post.
Wait, what???? Where, again, did I say anything that leads you to believe our offense wasn't bad. To the contrary, it was epically, historically bad. Perhaps you need some help with reading comprehension?

Your really saying your happy with 6 wins or going 6 and 4 every year. Two cupcakes every preseason dont count. Wow you really raise the bar high.
so....saying I'd enjoy the 8 wins we got means I'd be happy with 6 wins every year? Holy crap you need some remedial reading classes. Oh, and how does a team go 6 and 4 with a 12 game season?

Wait, what???? Where, again, did I say anything that leads you to believe our offense wasn't bad. To the contrary, it was epically, historically bad. Perhaps you need some help with reading comprehension?
Did you say

so....saying I'd enjoy the 8 wins we got means I'd be happy with 6 wins every year? Holy crap you need some remedial reading classes. Oh, and how does a team go 6 and 4 with a 12 game season?
Dont act stupid. You know exactly what I meant about 10 wins. Havent you noticed our preseason schedule.

Also its Rileys first year after taking over a dumpster fire. By 2024 he will have have the Trojans back and rolling again. He will have a lot of talent coming in on the defensive side and will clean house of the weak defensive coaches. 2 years ago OSU fired all their defensive coaches except 2. They still are bad in the secondary. If OSU had Iowas defense they would have had another Natty. Phil Parker might be the best assistant in the country.

I wouldn’t fear UCLA. Chip hasn’t really got it going yet and I doubt moving to the Big 10 will help. It’s a basketball school. With Iowa’s non-conference schedule they should win 8-9 games a year even with a mediocre offense.

Are you one of these guys who thinks the Big 10 west was good division. At the end of the season they didnt have one team in the to 25. An 8 and 4 team won it. Then they play 2 preseason cupcakes. What the hell are you thinking. Way to early poll had Mich 2, OSU 3, and PSU 6. I do think Iowa will win the West. Im talking the present not 10 years ago. Times are a changing in 2024.

Here’s how I gauge strength of schedule. I go to the places that rank schedules and I trust they have a decent idea what they’re talking about, pretty simple stuff man!!

I’m a little baffled that’s not what everybody does! But then again, that has a tendency to go against those agendas, doesn’t it?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT