ADVERTISEMENT

A new ANF brothers pod/videocast: talking Lester, Proctor; defensive guys coming back

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
They are high on what Lester can do if he is left alone to do RPO. A funny comment was they said RPO is "cheating" basically because so many OLinemen get 3-4 yards downfield and they never get penalized.

So why shouldnt Iowa do it. They discuss a check with me audible system vs Kirk's much more difficult to learn at the LOS qb audible system.

They have Proctor at right tackle. etc etc and more. I like to listen to these guys even if I am not so sure if they know tons about what they say.

They bring up how Lester uses his backup QB a number of times a game to threaten run. So they think it would be like pulling Cade out on 2nd and 6 or 1st and 10 to give a new look and try to gain 4-5 yards.

Will Kirk go for that???

Reactions: MAXIMUSHAWKEYE
The last part of the podcast they do mailbag and they explain their passion for football, playing football both ways in high school but having a downer losing their senior year state champ game. They have always been hawk fans and played a year at very good St Thomas in Minn games.

…probably more.
This is correct, though I'd say the definition for podcast is pretty loose with a lot of these.

A lot of these are just dudes in their man caves with their friends or dads talking Iowa football/sports, nttawwt.

I have seen a few more pop up in recent years featuring past Iowa football players as guests, and it surprises me how they have connections to get these guys on. (Again nttawwt.....)

They are high on what Lester can do if he is left alone to do RPO. A funny comment was they said RPO is "cheating" basically because so many OLinemen get 3-4 yards downfield and they never get penalized.

So why shouldnt Iowa do it. They discuss a check with me audible system vs Kirk's much more difficult to learn at the LOS qb audible system.

They have Proctor at right tackle. etc etc and more. I like to listen to these guys even if I am not so sure if they know tons about what they say.

May I ask their reasoning for Proctor at RT?

This is correct, though I'd say the definition for podcast is pretty loose with a lot of these.

A lot of these are just dudes in their man caves with their friends or dads talking Iowa football/sports, nttawwt.

I have seen a few more pop up in recent years featuring past Iowa football players as guests, and it surprises me how they have connections to get these guys on. (Again nttawwt.....)
Some of them are so bad.

There are only about half dozen that are listenable.

Pat Fitzegerald called it (RPO) Communism.

"During his press conference Tuesday, he described the play as the "purest form of communism" while taking issue with the rules allowing linemen to block opposing players three yards or less downfield during pass attempts. "If you're a purist of football, it's not the game," he said."

"During his press conference Tuesday, he described the play as the "purest form of communism" while taking issue with the rules allowing linemen to block opposing players three yards or less downfield during pass attempts. "If you're a purist of football, it's not the game," he said."
One of the ANF brothers thought that the downfield blocking by Olinemen will probably be altered to have less of it

They know more than any of the other podcasters out there, which isn’t saying much TBH. Probably the best pure football Iowa podcast there is.
Well you or I could spend the dough to go to coaches clinics and learn the more intricate nature of the game. I know enough but not alot of the terminology

I agree with Pat, it is bullshit, but what’s the line? You play the game the way the game is being played…or something like that. Essentially, if they don’t call it, then it’s legal.

Also, purest form of communism? That’s weird, Pat. I may have to brush up on my understanding of the definition of communism? Admittedly, I haven’t studied the essential works of Lenin. Could be some clues on how to run the RPO in there. The Red Army always had a knack for reading the opponents intentions.

They call the right tackle the main Run Blocking tackle in Kirk's offense and that is where Wirfs was put.
Wirfs wasn't "put" at right tackle. There was an injury and they already had a multiyear NFL caliber playing (Jackson) starting at left tackle.

RPO "isn't fair" and might eventually be against the rules? GTFOoH. The fact the KF "offense" doesn't try to gain an advantage over the defense is why it is so pathetic and unwatchable.

I agree with Pat, it is bullshit, but what’s the line? You play the game the way the game is being played…or something like that. Essentially, if they don’t call it, then it’s legal.

Also, purest form of communism? That’s weird, Pat. I may have to brush up on my understanding of the definition of communism? Admittedly, I haven’t studied the essential works of Lenin. Could be some clues on how to run the RPO in there. The Red Army always had a knack for reading the opponents intentions.
You weren't forced to read Marx in college?

Wirfs wasn't "put" at right tackle. There was an injury and they already had a multiyear NFL caliber playing (Jackson) starting at left tackle.
Are you talking about Alaric Jackson at left tackle? If so Jackson redshirted his first year at Iowa in 2016. He was starting left tackle from game one of 2017 thru 2020.

Tristan Wirfs was a freshman in 2017 and played right tackle in the first 4 or so games but did not start. He started most of the year at right tackle.

So Jackson and Wirfs started playing the same year and Jackson was given the left tackle spot to start the season. I do not know where they played in high school. I remember them coming on together.

PS, I got all this info off their bios at official IOwa athletics website

Last edited:
They call the right tackle the main Run Blocking tackle in Kirk's offense and that is where Wirfs was put.
Ok they may be wrong on that one. I'm sure I read years ago it was as simple as Alaric Jasckson preferred LT. Obviously Wirfs was talented enough for either or

They also brought up maybe our OL problems could be due to Iowa not having Dole . As they say “college football is like boot camp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT