ADVERTISEMENT

A question about the massive fried pork loin sammich that Iowans and other midwesterners like...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
So, I'm looking at various recipes and, in addition to the butterflied and shit-pounded-out-it fried pork loin, you typically see pickles and raw onion on a bun with "your choice" of condiment.

Is there really not a "special sauce" for this heartland culinary delicacy?

So, I'm looking at various recipes and, in addition to the butterflied and shit-pounded-out-it fried pork loin, you typically see pickles and raw onion on a bun with "your choice" of condiment.

Mayo, mustard, little ketchup and that’s it.

The special sauce comes later for your mom who also gets the shit-pounded-out of her loins.

Traditionalists say yellow mustard, pickles and raw onions should be the only toppings.

I, too, have been known to put a squirt of mayo and a dollop of Ketchup on it.

NEVER lettuce though - that’s sacrilege.

I also think the grilled not fried version is often better. 11th Street Precint in the Village of East Davenport makes a killer one.

IMG_2023new.JPG

We also craft such culinary delights as ground beef crumbled lovingly on a bun. Also with pickles.

Reactions: lucas80

Don’t drink and drive.

I’m making some tonight! Although not in sandwich form. I guess that makes it a schnitzel.

Yellow mustard is really the only way to go. I know this must seem like chicken fried steak to you, but no gravy.

I make my own on a regular basis. I buy 8 oz pork loins and slice them into 4 oz slices and bread them with ground saltines and dipped in egg wash twice and deep fry them each for 2 minutes. Catsup mustard dill slices and onion make a good sandwich. But sometimes I make a cheese loin. The tenderloin with lettuce and mayo and a slice of American cheese. Try it.

I'd have to be well into the season of Survivor level of hungry to eat a pickle. Even then, I'd exhaust all other options first including death.
I’m with you on bread and butter pickles. I’ve tried “high end” pickles like grillo’s and they are okay. But damn, I could eat clausen’s kosher dills all day long.

I don’t eat meat anymore, but when I did, pork was my favorite and I thought they were disgusting. Chewy as hell and fried to a crisp. I admittedly didn’t try many, but the ones I did eat were all gross. Good luck OP.

Reactions: jellyfish10
Simply, there are no taboos in fixin’ your tenderloin! Every person is different and the important thing is to get a ‘loin (with no gristle) prepped to YOUR taste.
The tenderloin, breaded or not, is about as fine as eating as this small town Iowa boy can enjoy!

Reactions: The Tradition
Traditionalists say yellow mustard, pickles and raw onions should be the only toppings.

I, too, have been known to put a squirt of mayo and a dollop of Ketchup on it.

NEVER lettuce though - that’s sacrilege.

I also think the grilled not fried version is often better. 11th Street Precint in the Village of East Davenport makes a killer one.

IMG_2023new.JPG
Torbs, you have the worst fvcking takes bro. Goddamn, grilled? FVCKING KILL YOURSELF.

Reactions: dgordo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT