ADVERTISEMENT

A question about the massive fried pork loin sammich that Iowans and other midwesterners like...

It does when it’s sliced that thin and tenderized. That’s the same thought I had as a skeptic. I’m sure we all know it’s not a true pork tenderloin but a tenderloin roast cut. That’s the worst cut on a pig in my opinion unless it’s sliced meat slicer thin after cooking.
I’m not throwing shade but I’m trying to get a handle on this. Is it smashed thin, breaded, and fried? Or is it cooked whole and then sliced thin like pastrami?

Reactions: The Tradition
No.

I’ve never heard the term uttered by a non-Iowan.
Lies No GIF

I have in laws in Minnesota who love them.

As midwestern as party potatoes.

It’s interesting because I grew up in Iowa, and a lot of these things I had never heard of. Like chili and cinnamon rolls.

Maid Rites and tenderloins were big. But a “decadent” tenderloin stuck out an in or so from the bun. Which was sensible.

Reactions: beanerhawk
It’s interesting because I grew up in Iowa, and a lot of these things I had never heard of. Like chili and cinnamon rolls.

Maid Rites and tenderloins were big. But a “decadent” tenderloin stuck out an in or so from the bun. Which was sensible.
I’m a born and raised Iowan and I never experienced the chili and cinnamon roll abomination. In my neck of the woods it was chili and pb sandwiches. Neither of which makes sense to me.

Reactions: globalhawk
Then why not just eat it with a knife and fork with dinner rolls on the side?

You can obviously if you so choose. The traditional way of course is to eat it as a sandwich.

Not everybody eats things the same way. I simply choose to not load down sandwiches with a bunch of flavor changing items. That kind of style means you have to "add flavor" to the meat instead.

I'm the same way with burgers, with ham/turkey, with chicken. I want the meat to be the dominant flavor in all of them. It's not that I don't like onions, pickles, mustard etc - they have their place.

I make my tenderloins (as well as chicken thighs) with a buttermilk soak, then flour/Old Bay, sit for an hour on a rack. Then egg wash and bread with Louisiana Fish batter and a touch of salt/pepper. Then deep fry with fresh oil.

Get yourself fresh buns from a bakery. Thick and juicy...delicious.

Had one at the Irish Democrat on Saturday, they put garlic aioli on it. Was very good. I hate onions and pickles so mine are pretty plain, tomato some times. BBQ sauce sometimes, cheese sometimes. Always mix it up.

Very easy to make at home after you try a few times.

I don’t eat meat anymore, but when I did, pork was my favorite and I thought they were disgusting. Chewy as hell and fried to a crisp. I admittedly didn’t try many, but the ones I did eat were all gross. Good luck OP.
Same. When I did I liked them grilled with grilled jalapeños, onion, lettuce and honey mustard.

Since mayo is the spawn of the devil and ranch and ketchup are for six-year-olds, I go with wing sauce and onions on mine. Mustard is ok, but not my favorite.

Mark me down as a ketchup and spicy mustard guy (Although I never put ketchup on a brat). Grilled onions are a nice touch sometimes. Spicy pickles are decent as well. Raw onions and dill pickles are nasty condiments.

I’m a born and raised Iowan and I never experienced the chili and cinnamon roll abomination. In my neck of the woods it was chili and pb sandwiches. Neither of which makes sense to me.
Yes. Chili and pb sandwiches was one of the best school lunches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT