ADVERTISEMENT

A Reprise: Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by ThumperHawk:
Originally posted by Wild Onion:

Originally posted by PurdueClassof02:
Of course, you neglect to mention the tremendous growth of Christianity in other parts of the world. There are more Christians alive today than at any other point in history.

So you are preying on the poor and uneducated in the third world?
I expected that response. Nice work.
Expected it, and yet still had no answer for it. Surely you do not expect us to believe that world opinion is suddenly a high priority amongst the Jesus Patriots? Convenient how foreign opinions only matter when they help reinforce your misconceptions.
So should we mark you down as well for thinking that Africans and East Asians are incapable of forming their own decisions? There's a name for that...

ok ram, class02 etc etc.
i believe in the teachings of christianity and you obviously do not.
i am ok with your belief, you have a problem with those of my belief to the point where you try and debunk whatever it is that you can.
this is faith; believing in something you cannot see... so what if alcoholics and recovering drug addicts use christianity to release themselves from their vice... and why is it a problem that children and under-industrialized countries are exposed to christianity as well? Is it such a terrible set of values and teaching to follow?
Let us talk about TRUE believers, not molesting preachers or gun wielding followers, they are not true christians, just as terrorist bombers are not true muslims...
so if i live my life like a good christian, turn the other cheek, let those who are without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged etc etc, and i die someday and do not go to heaven, its just lights-out, SO WHAT. i lived a good life as a good human being.
I do not understand why people who are not christian, or religious for that matter have such a problem with those who are. You are certainly not going to come on a message board and convert anyone, or even sway anyone's opinion.
Religion does not know pride. It is not something we fight for, it is something we die for.

I know you think it would be a great idea to put all of us jesus freaks in an interment camp like your boy stalin did to those who did not think alike with his opinions, but just stop, step back and realizing you are only fighting with yourselves on who 'real' christianity is or isnt. It is a real as every living person wants it to be and there is nothing you can do about.
Now who is liberal.
amen

Originally posted by UncleDouble:
...but just stop, step back and realizing you are only fighting with yourselves on who 'real' christianity is or isnt.
7 senteneces earlier...

Let us talk about TRUE believers, not molesting preachers or gun wielding followers, they are not true christians...
Try to keep your accusations straight.
so if i live my life like a good christian, turn the other cheek, let those who are without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged...
Hilarious tripe, given the following quote:

I know you think it would be a great idea to put all of us jesus freaks in an interment camp like your boy stalin did to those who did not think alike with his opinions...
I have about as much interest in my boy Stalin's interment camps as you do in your boy Hitler's gas chambers. That is to say (presumably) none. But don't let logic get in the way of a pointless rant.

Secular people don't need the help.
That's hilarious. You don't get out much, do you?

And you don't get out of the Church much because you can't rely on yourself to form a free-thought.
Yep, got me there. I'm incapable of original thought.

At least you are admitting it now.

Sorry thumperhawk, had to ask for forgiveness there... for passing judgement
none of us are without sin, not even myself, never said i was.
christianity, without all its major sinners: murderes, molesters etc. and minor sinners: myself and many others. is still a very rewarding, very intricate part in many persons happy lives.
This post was edited on 2/28 6:46 PM by UncleDoubleif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I don't need someone else to teach me how to live my life based on the teachings of a guy from the desert that died 2K years ago. I believe in free thought. I believe that certain aspects of religion can help the weak-minded find purpose in their lives until they become more educated.

I just wish Christians would admit they are too weak to be a free-thinker and were dependent on their parents to give them their religion.

This had to be repeated. It's all in there.

I don't need someone else to teach me how to live my life based on the teachings of a guy from the desert that died 2K years ago. I believe in free thought. I believe that certain aspects of religion can help the weak-minded find purpose in their lives until they become more educated.

I just wish Christians would admit they are too weak to be a free-thinker and were dependent on their parents to give them their religion.

Originally posted by ThumperHawk:

...but just stop, step back and realizing you are only fighting with yourselves on who 'real' christianity is or isnt.
7 senteneces earlier...

Let us talk about TRUE believers, not molesting preachers or gun wielding followers, they are not true christians...
Try to keep your accusations straight.

so if i live my life like a good christian, turn the other cheek, let those who are without sin cast the first stone, judge not lest ye be judged...
Hilarious tripe, given the following quote:

I know you think it would be a great idea to put all of us jesus freaks in an interment camp like your boy stalin did to those who did not think alike with his opinions...
I have about as much interest in my boy Stalin's interment camps as you do in your boy Hitler's gas chambers. That is to say (presumably) none. But don't let logic get in the way of a pointless rant.

From a Christian point of view, why would wielding a gun or being a child molester exclude one from being a follower of Jesus? Are these special unforgivable sins laid out in the Bible, as opposed to divorce or pride? I think it's a little judgemental to hold one's own sins so much more Christian than another's.

It's soooooooo important to you to try and prove Christians wrong. Why?

Anyone that doesn't read the teachings of Jesus and think there is something in there to make us all a little bit better is just ridiculously stupid. Congratulations on fitting into that category.

Of course you are just trolling. But I suspect there is some real resentment and anger behind it too.

By all means, keep worshiping yourself and "free thought." Whatever makes you feel better. But by doing so, you really are the weak minded one.

You know Wild Onion, that's a very good point. I always thought one of the cornerstones of liberalism was a live and let attitude. Yet we see people here constantly trying to rip on Christians and Christianity; I don't get it, I'm not a particularly religious person but I certainly don't feel threatened by Christians, ever.

It's as if we have a bunch of posters who were raised as church goers and now have to point out at every turn just how wise they are having learned so-o-o much in college. Just drop it already, we get it.

Not wrong, weak and without free thought. All I ask for is that Christians step-up to the plate and admit the main reason they believe in their religion is because someone told them too. That makes them weak.

How about they even say, If I knew today what I know now I would have never believed in this religion. That way they can avoid saying mistake.

I guess the question comes down to, why do people believe and defend a religion based on thoughts that are two thousand years old. It just boggles the mind that people need a book to base their lives on.

Originally posted by sambud:

You know Wild Onion, that's a very good point. I always thought one of the cornerstones of liberalism was a live and let attitude. Yet we see people here constantly trying to rip on Christians and Christianity; I don't get it, I'm not a particularly religious person but I certainly don't feel threatened by Christians, ever.

It's as if we have a bunch of posters who were raised as church goers and now have to point out at every turn just how wise they are having learned so-o-o much in college. Just drop it already, we get it.

They are now a strong voice in politics which make them fair game. They brought Religion into politics by having candidates go to their churches and functions so they are no different than any other political organization.

The scary thing is that posters on here will deny their influence on politics or in reality look the other way. I see this thread no different than attacking the Swift Boat Vets.

Anyone that doesn't read the teachings of Jesus and think there is something in there to make us all a little bit better is just ridiculously stupid. Congratulations on fitting into that category.

Of course you are just trolling. But I suspect there is some real resentment and anger behind it too.

By all means, keep worshiping yourself and "free thought." Whatever makes you feel better. But by doing so, you really are the weak minded one.

I don't need to worship anything to feel good, that is what free thought is. You on the other hand have to define yourself by who you worship.

How do you even know those are the teachings of your boy JC? Because Mommy told you?

PurdueClassof02 said: ''They are now a strong voice in politics which make them fair game. They brought Religion into politics by having candidates go to their churches and functions so they are no different than any other political organization.

The scary thing is that posters on here will deny their influence on politics or in reality look the other way. I see this thread no different than attacking the Swift Boat Vets''.

So attack them on their political beliefs. Did you feel the same way when Jesse Jackson was mixing politics and religion from the pulpit?

I don't need to worship anything to feel good, that is what free thought is. You on the other hand have to define yourself by who you worship.

How do you even know those are the teachings of your boy JC? Because Mommy told you?

Your bitterness gives you away.

Originally posted by sambud:
PurdueClassof02 said: ''They are now a strong voice in politics which make them fair game. They brought Religion into politics by having candidates go to their churches and functions so they are no different than any other political organization.

The scary thing is that posters on here will deny their influence on politics or in reality look the other way. I see this thread no different than attacking the Swift Boat Vets''.

So attack them on their political beliefs. Did you feel the same way when Jesse Jackson was mixing politics and religion from the pulpit?

So you are saying Jesse has never been attacked?

Originally posted by FeederCow:

Looks like I struck a nerve.

Yes.

Or your bitterness gives you away.

Struck a nerve? Seriously? I'm amused actually.

Not wrong, weak and without free thought. All I ask for is that Christians step-up to the plate and admit the main reason they believe in their religion is because someone told them too. That makes them weak.

How about they even say, If I knew today what I know now I would have never believed in this religion. That way they can avoid saying mistake.

I guess the question comes down to, why do people believe and defend a religion based on thoughts that are two thousand years old. It just boggles the mind that people need a book to base their lives on.
You keep talking about "free thought." Care to elaborate?

We get that you don't like the Bible, and that we're fools for our belief, but I fail to understand how that makes us incapable of "free thought." There seems to be a logical gap there.

If you could provide more depth to your position, it might help convey that your position is based more on a genuine progression of thought, and less on bitterness and anger.

We get that you don't like the Bible, and that we're fools for our belief, but I fail to understand how that makes us incapable of "free thought." There seems to be a logical gap there.

If you could provide more depth to your position, it might help convey that your position is based more on a genuine progression of thought, and less on bitterness and anger.

It's kind of ironic actually - Jesus was indeed a "free thinker" - quite radical in many of His ideas.

It's kind of ironic actually - Jesus was indeed a "free thinker" - quite radical in many of His ideas.
Paul definitely went along with the crowd, too.

'just drop it already, we get it.'

No, obviously you don't; otherwise you would not believe in absurdities that promote a life-negating philosophy.

Originally posted by Scott Plate:

No, obviously you don't; otherwise you would not believe in absurdities that promote a life-negating philosophy.
The question remains: Why do you care what we believe?

"Life-negating?" I have a hunch that you don't really believe that beyond trying to score points on a message board.

Originally posted by Rambam99:
Wade's analysis is a striking example of Christianity's decline. 170 years of critical scholarship, dating back at least to J. Strauss' Life of Jesus Critically Examined (1835), have demolished any possible rational defense of the gospels as history.

Demolished any possible rational defense? Sounds real objective. Isn't it obvious as to who is really being "rational" when somebody starts out with the preconceived idea/premise that any possible defense is already demolished & impossible.
This post was edited on 2/28 10:06 PM by HoundedHawkif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

you know, the whole 'it will be better after you die' deal. A doctrine which the powerful have, oh so subtly, used for centuries to oppress those in the lower classes.

The first assumption one needs to rid oneself of in such an argument is that _______ (organized, mainstream, institutional- choose your words) Christianity derives all of its doctrines/customs from the Bible.

Imagine for a moment that God were one of us (just a slob like one of us) and oculd finally take it no more: "Hey, would you quit stickin' that BS on ME? They made it up. I didn't say or inspire so much of this crap. They infused their stinkin' paganism with parts of my word so it would sell! Item: The real Jesus of Nazareth was not born of December 25. He didn't celebrate a 'birthday'. He didn't instruct ANYONE to celebrate his 'birthday'. None of the people who ever knew him never celebrated his birthday. And he sure as HELL (pardon the expession) wouldn't have the date of a long standing sun-worshipping high day adopted as his 'birthday'. There IS a reason I am described as a jealous God. You don't pollute me with the superstitions and frauds of YOUR pathetic world!
This post was edited on 2/28 10:12 PM by ChipHiltonif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Originally posted by ChipHilton:
The first assumption one needs to rid oneself of in such an argument is that _______ (organized, mainstream, institutional- choose your words) Christianity derives all of its doctrines/customs from the Bible.

Imagine for a moment that God were one of us (just a slob like one of us) and oculd finally take it no more: "Hey, would you quit stickin' that BS on ME? They made it up. I didn't say or inspire so much of this crap. They infused their stinkin' paganism with parts of my word so it would sell! Item: The real Jesus of Nazareth was not born of December 25. He didn't celebrate a 'birthday'. He didn't instruct ANYONE to celebrate his 'birthday'. None of the people who ever knew him never celebrated his birthday. And he sure as HELL (pardon the expession) wouldn't have the date of a long standing sun-worshipping high day adopted as his 'birthday'. There IS a reason I am described as a jealous God. You don't pollute me with the superstitions and frauds of YOUR pathetic world!/images/smilies/chairshot.gif

This post was edited on 2/28 10:12 PM by ChipHilton
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Are you Catholics reading this?
This post was edited on 3/1 7:24 AM by jrotten666if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Given Contemptus Mundi, please explain just why it is that Christians should be politically active in this world, especially to the point of pushing and advocating divisive theology in government (surely the worldliest of worldy entities)? I reference the evangelism-based outreach (marketing) under the decider, all door-to-door and direct-mail mission (marketing) activities, and paid advertisements on local TV stations.

Why all the concern for economics in a religion that professes hatred for worldy items?

I'd like an explanation, please, not a redirection or change of subject.

Thanks.

Originally posted by jrotten666:
Originally posted by ChipHilton:

Imagine for a moment that God were one of us (just a slob like one of us) and oculd finally take it no more: "Hey, would you quit stickin' that BS on ME? They made it up. I didn't say or inspire so much of this crap. They infused their stinkin' paganism with parts of my word so it would sell! Item: The real Jesus of Nazareth was not born of December 25. He didn't celebrate a 'birthday'. He didn't instruct ANYONE to celebrate his 'birthday'. None of the people who ever knew him never celebrated his birthday. And he sure as HELL (pardon the expession) wouldn't have the date of a long standing sun-worshipping high day adopted as his 'birthday'. There IS a reason I am described as a jealous God. You don't pollute me with the superstitions and frauds of YOUR pathetic world!/images/smilies/chairshot.gif

This post was edited on 2/28 10:12 PM by ChipHilton
if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Are you Catholics reading this?
This post was edited on 3/1 7:24 AM by jrotten666if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Rotten, I'll be generous and assume you really do put forth considerable effort.

you know, the whole 'it will be better after you die' deal. A doctrine which the powerful have, oh so subtly, used for centuries to oppress those in the lower classes.

That is true. And for those who have asked in this thread why some are threatened by other's beliefs: religion has been used as an instrument of opression and it has contributed greatly to the horrific state of our world.

Are you going to deny the fact that conservative Christians here tend to have a higher percentage who are in favor of America's imperialist mis-adventures which wreak havok on innocent people?

If you were Quaker pacifists I would have more respect for your ideals, because you would actually back them up. But you must have your cake and eat it too with your Americanized form of Christianity which includes brute force against your enemies, capitalism and a tendency to always be on the side of the richest people in any disagreement, and a "I'm not perfect, but I am forgiven" attitude to alleviate any guilt over these contradictions.

"Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds that beliefs should be formed on the basis of science and logical principles and not be comprised by authority, tradition, or any other dogma. The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers."

"Life-negating?" I have a hunch that you don't really believe that beyond trying to score points on a message board.

The same reason why I care what Republicans believe in. Why should the bible not be debated when the laws that govern society are?

The same reason why I care what Republicans believe in. Why should the bible not be debated when the laws that govern society are?
That makes no sense. The Bible doesn't apply to you, laws do.

There's something else. Come on up with it.

Why don't christians just vacate the world they hate instead of attempting to prolong their presence in it?

Why don't christians clam up about abortion, since they preach that the dead innocent are at the right hand of their god?

Why are christians so concerned about worldly marketing strategies?

Many of our politicians believe in these values and try and apply them to our laws. So you are saying that the Religous Right does not get involved in politics? Then again, you did say Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson had very little influence on the Republican party.

Many of our politicians believe in these values and try and apply them to our laws. So you are saying that the Religous Right does not get involved in politics? Then again, you did say Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson had very little influence on the Republican party.
Falwell and Robertson are not Germaine to this issue. You don't need to attack Christians and the Bible to refute their policy initiatives.

I'm not convinced that Christian activity in politics in the root of your bitterness toward Christianity. There are many good Christians who are active Democrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT