ADVERTISEMENT

A Southwest flight attendant suspected human trafficking. It was just a mixed-race family flying to a funeral

alaskanseminole

HB Legend
Oct 20, 2002
"Had the child been white, there is absolutely no doubt that this would never have occurred"

Or had the mother been black and the child white
Or had the mother been white and the child Korean
Or....

I guess flight attendants will just keep their damn mouths shut next time.

When Mary MacCarthy and her 10-year-old daughter were met by police as they stepped off their flight in Denver last month, she thought the officers were bearing bad news about her family. MacCarthy was in town for her brother's funeral and later said she thought the police presence meant another one of her family members had died.

What followed surprised her.

Two Denver police officers, accompanied by a Southwest Airlines manager, were there to investigate a report of possible human trafficking, according to a police report. A flight attendant, the report states, thought that MacCarthy and her daughter had acted strangely on the plane and that their behavior warranted investigation. MacCarthy is White and her daughter is Black.

As police questioned the mother and daughter after the plane landed, the girl started to cry.

It did not take long for police to determine that MacCarthy did not abduct the 10-year-old, according to the report. The pair was soon free to leave, but MacCarthy recalled in a subsequent letter to the airline that her daughter was traumatized by the incident.

"I believed we had been racially profiled," MacCarthy told KMOV.

Southwest did not immediately respond to questions from The Washington Post early Monday. In a statement to USA Today, the airline said its employees are trained to spot instances of human trafficking, and they seek to provide "a welcoming and inclusive environment."

"We were disheartened to learn of this mother's account when traveling with her daughter," the airline stated. "We are conducting a review of the situation internally, and we will be reaching out to the customer to address her concerns and offer our apologies for her experience traveling with us."

In recent years, airlines have trained flight staff to spot and report instances of human trafficking. One Alaska Airlines flight attendant recalled to NBC how she helped a teenager she suspected was being trafficked.

Flight attendants are taught to look for indicators of trafficking, such as passengers avoiding eye contact with staff, not speaking the same language as the person they are traveling with, or not speaking for themselves, according to 2018 guidance by the International Civil Aviation Organization. However, airline workers are also trained not to profile certain people as they look for signs of trafficking, Insider reported.

On Oct. 22, MacCarthy and her daughter were flying to Denver from Los Angeles because MacCarthy's brother had died the night before, she explained in a Nov. 1 letter to Southwest. The two had to catch a connecting flight in San Jose, Calif., and by the time the pair boarded the flight to Denver, it was so full they could not sit together.

Not wanting to be separated, MacCarthy asked flight attendants if she could be seated next to her daughter. But they "said no," MacCarthy wrote. Yet MacCarthy was allowed to ask others to trade seats with her, and the mother quickly found willing passengers.

But a flight attendant thought MacCarthy's actions were suspicious, according to a police report. The attendant, who is not named in the report, said MacCarthy and her daughter were the last passengers to board the plane, and MacCarthy was "demanding" she sit next to her daughter. The flight attendant also alleged that MacCarthy did not speak to her daughter during the flight and found it "odd" that she did not allow the girl speak to the flight crew, the report states. So the flight attendant wanted airline management to follow up with MacCarthy when the plane landed.

MacCarthy remembers the flight differently. In a Nov. 1 letter to a Denver Police Department detective, MacCarthy explained that she and her daughter likely did not speak much because they were "exhausted and in shock due to my brother having died suddenly the night before." Her daughter also listened to an audiobook for part of the flight, "but we certainly chatted from time to time, as any parent and child would do when seated together," MacCarthy recalled in her letter.

So it was quite a shock when police and the Southwest manager stopped them after they had landed, she said. MacCarthy recorded part of the encounter on her phone.

"The flight attendants were just concerned about the behavior when you boarded the aircraft - that's all we're following up on," a Southwest employee told MacCarthy, according to the video. "We're not suspecting anything. It's just our policy to follow up."

A police officer also explained that the daughter shouldn't be scared "because you're not in any trouble whatsoever."

As her daughter cried in the background, MacCarthy explained who she was, why she wanted to sit next to her daughter, and how she was grieving the death of her brother. The Southwest employee said: "That's all we needed to know. You guys are good. I do apologize."

"It's not," MacCarthy replied. "Because I have a daughter who has already unfortunately been traumatized by police in her life."

MacCarthy took to Twitter that day, questioning why the incident transpired. "Was the alleged 'suspicious behavior' the fact that we are a mixed-race family?" she wrote.

MacCarthy did not immediately respond to questions from The Washington Post early Monday. But her attorney, David Lane, said in a statement to People that the police were merely responding to a complaint and not to blame. Instead, he pointed the finger at the airline.

"Had the child been white, there is absolutely no doubt that this would never have occurred," Lane said.

Last edited:
That's a really bad situation for everyone involved. It's sad that racial profiling and human trafficking are common enough that it's not really that surprised that a situation like this could happen. Had the flight attendant been correct about the situation, she'd be a hero.

If you take two steps back and look at this from the flight attendant's perspective, she saw a potential situation that she reported to authorities to investigate. They investigated, slowed the woman and her daughter down a bit on their trip, and then let them go on their way. It sucks that they are on the way to a funeral, but the airline and especially the flight attendant and police have no way of knowing that.

The woman and her daughter were mildly inconvenienced and are now going to claim victimhood. Meanwhile a flight attendant did her diligence in trying to ensure that the little girl wasn't a victim of a more heinous crime. It sucks that this is the world we live in now, but I can't fault the flight attendant on this. Hopefully the police questioned the situation in a manner that didn't upset the little girl.

But, from what I'm seeing in the picture they look nothing alike and it was one parent traveling with one child. If both parents were there, or if multiple children were there, this likely doesn't raise suspicion. If the ticket wasn't booked last minute, like needed to be for a funeral, it also doesn't raise as much suspicion. I'm not trying to blame the mom. I'm just trying to make sure the flight attendant doesn't get blamed for "seeing something and saying something".
1200x0.jpg

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Bay-Area-Southwest-accused-mom-trafficking-child-16596427.php

If you take two steps back and look at this from the flight attendant's perspective, she saw a potential situation that she reported to authorities to investigate. They investigated, slowed the woman and her daughter down a bit on their trip, and then let them go on their way. It sucks that they are on the way to a funeral, but the airline and especially the flight attendant and police have no way of knowing that.

The woman and her daughter were mildly inconvenienced and are now going to claim victimhood. Meanwhile a flight attendant did her diligence in trying to ensure that the little girl wasn't a victim of a more heinous crime. It sucks that this is the world we live in now, but I can't fault the flight attendant on this. Hopefully the police questioned the situation in a manner that didn't upset the little girl.

But, from what I'm seeing in the picture they look nothing alike and it was one parent traveling with one child. If both parents were there, or if multiple children were there, this likely doesn't raise suspicion. If the ticket wasn't booked last minute, like needed to be for a funeral, it also doesn't raise as much suspicion. I'm not trying to blame the mom. I'm just trying to make sure the flight attendant doesn't get blamed for "seeing something and saying something".
1200x0.jpg

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/Bay-Area-Southwest-accused-mom-trafficking-child-16596427.php
Mildly inconvenienced?

The flight attendant is to blame. I'm not sure why you don't see that.

1200x0.jpg

To be fair, it does look like the daughter in Handmaiden's Tale. So...yeah.

Mildly inconvenienced?

The flight attendant is to blame. I'm not sure why you don't see that.

Yep. And since Karen got her feelings hurt - I’m advocating we stop all attempts to identify and stop human trafficking on airlines. One wrongfully accused Karen - especially one where you can claim race victimization *gasp* - isn’t worth letting a few kids here and there get trafficked. I’m sure the kids will be fine as opposed to the horror this poor, poor Karen and her child had to go through. It’s certainly better for her fragility to be maintained.

1200x0.jpg

I think the flight attendant did the right thing by reporting something that seemed suspicious to her. I also understand why the mom was upset by the report. It's a bad situation for everyone involved but also a good thing that the child involved was safe. It's easy for me to feel relieved the situation wasn't what it appeared. I'd be so pissed if I was accused or even suspected of trafficking my child that I wouldn't be able to feel relief.

Yep. And since Karen got her feelings hurt - I’m advocating we stop all attempts to identify and stop human trafficking on airlines. One wrongfully accused Karen - especially one where you can claim race victimization *gasp* - isn’t worth letting a few kids here and there get trafficked. I’m sure the kids will be fine as opposed to the horror this poor, poor Karen and her child had to go through. It’s certainly better for her fragility to be maintained.
I don't think the mom is a Karen at all. If I was accused of trafficking my own child while flying to my brother's funeral, I'd be vocally pissed off too. The flight attendant still was correct to report her suspicions and have them checked out which is what happened. It seems that quickly officials discovered that there weren't safety concerns for the daughter which probably does nothing to change the level of anger felt by the mom.

I don't think the mom is a Karen at all. If I was accused of trafficking my own child while flying to my brother's funeral, I'd be vocally pissed off too. The flight attendant still was correct to report her suspicions and have them checked out which is what happened. It seems that quickly officials discovered that there weren't safety concerns for the daughter which probably does nothing to change the level of anger felt by the mom.

We’re just different then. I wouldn’t be offended or angry. I’d see that the problem they’re trying to solve is bigger than me and my feelings and appreciate them trying to do what’s right.

Edit to add: And I certainly wouldn’t run to the press claiming some victimization BS which will potentially make it harder for them to do an important job in the future. That’s the Karen in this situation. Child trafficking is very real.

Last edited:
That's a really bad situation for everyone involved. It's sad that racial profiling and human trafficking are common enough that it's not really that surprised that a situation like this could happen. Had the flight attendant been correct about the situation, she'd be a hero.
This. We're told see something, say something. Reality is we won't be right 100% of the time.

I want to give the flight attendant credit for that.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never been racially profiled or wrongfully accused of anything by someone in authority.

You need to revisit your understanding of 'Karen'.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you've never been racially profiled or wrongfully accused of anything by someone in authority.

Never been racially profiled because I’m a white male, but been wrongfully accused by someone in authority a few times. Got it all cleared up quickly and calmly - didn’t need to go ballistic or get all butt hurt. Amazingly, I didn’t even go to the press to bitch about it and get my 15 minutes.

Never been racially profiled because I’m a white male, but been wrongfully accused by someone in authority a few times. Got it all cleared up quickly and calmly - didn’t need to go ballistic or get all butt hurt. Amazingly, I didn’t even go to the press to bitch about it and get my 15 minutes.
Yup. You've never had such an experience, but you have no time making a smug and superior judgement.

If you are going to ask flight attendants to be on the lookout for human trafficking than there are going to be some mistakes.

And honestly lets also remember that a flight attendant finding something suspicious and telling authorities doesn't mean that they automatically think that it was human trafficking, but just that they think someone should look into it a little.

Seems like if airlines can figure out who's being trafficked it should happen before their planes are boarded, no?

This. We're told see something, say something. Reality is we won't be right 100% of the time.

I want to give the flight attendant credit for that.
See something, say something is right.
The question is really in what she saw that she thought was off. She saw a mom who wanted to sit with her kid who then didn't talk to the kid a lot. I've been that parent and no one called the police on me.

All it would have taken was the airline reaching out, apologizing, and explaining their policy. Maybe describe their training and why they do it to help children. What they did was call the cops on an innocent woman and then tried to pretend nothing happened when she got upset. If I was the CEO of Southwest Airlines I'm picking up the phone within 24 hours to make a personal apology. Instead, they ignore this just like they do every other customer complaint because airline executives don't give a shit about they cattle they shuttle around.

I'm required by law to report suspicions of child abuse so I can sympathize with the flight attendant. I've had to do it more than once unfortunately, but we're more protected by layers of bureaucracy so it would be pretty much impossible for an adult to trace it back to whoever filed it. We also never know the outcome, of course.

You need to read the story again, the profiling was not focused on race but other elements that people look for in human trafficking situations. You can assume race played a factor but you have no evidence to back that up. You also have zero knowledge of what the flight attendant was thinking.

Stick to the facts and it is plain to see the flight attendant was simply doing what they are trained to do. No ill will or malicious intent can be reasonably concluded here.

Really? If that's the case, every time we see a single adult with a child who looks different, we should have the police question them, right?
If that's what happened here, than you have a point. Have you ever been trained on recognizing Human Trafficking? Do you know anything at all about Human Trafficking? This isn't a case of calling police on a black person BBQ'n in the wrong place. In fact, this is a case of someone potentially trying to protect a black person. I'm sorry you can't see that.

As someone said above, if this was a kidnaping case, we'd being lauding the attendant as a hero.

See something, say something is right.
The question is really in what she saw that she thought was off. She saw a mom who wanted to sit with her kid who then didn't talk to the kid a lot. I've been that parent and no one called the police on me.
Sometimes your spidey sense tingles. We can't start shaming people for this or nobody is going to say anything.

What we have to be sure doesn't happen is that the authorities start investigating for human trafficking, which doesn't check out but they arrest the parents for the bag of weed in their carry-on.

Sometimes your spidey sense tingles. We can't start shaming people for this or nobody is going to say anything.

What we have to be sure doesn't happen is that the authorities start investigating for human trafficking, which doesn't check out but they arrest the parents for the bag of weed in their carry-on.
We can shame them if their criteria is different for mixed race families.
Nothing she described sounded weird at all.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
It sucks but if the airlines being overly vigilant saves one child from being trafficked , then a minor inconvenience is worth it

But like others have mentioned, I am guessing someone wants a payday

I'm willing to cut the flight attendant some slack on this.....mistakes like this will happen but if there a few mistakes for every success, I think that's a good trade off. Don't want folks even more reluctant to report these things.

I have zero problem with the flight attendant taking action. Sure, be mad (mom) but don’t pull out the victim card. Understand the airline’s concern… and understand you may not agree with it.. and then move on.

Hell, I had the Des Moines police knock on my door 3 years ago due to a report of potential domestic violence. I was asked to step outside the house when they arrived and answer questions, etc.

Turns out the officers had the wrong address … I could have ranted and raved about injustice … but the officers were simply following their process when facing a potential domestic abuse situation.

They apologized profusely and we each went our own way. Sure, my cage was rattled but I appreciated the steps they do take when they do face domestic violence reports

Who is most likely to be a human trafficker?

According to the Report, the most common form of human trafficking (79%) is sexual exploitation. The victims of sexual exploitation are predominantly women and girls. Surprisingly, in 30% of the countries which provided information on the gender of traffickers, women make up the largest proportion of traffickers.

Really? If that's the case, every time we see a single adult with a child who looks different, we should have the police question them, right?

Not at all. You should read the signs that made the flight attendant report it in the article (or in the posts above). She followed training and did the right thing.

I think we’re at an impasse. I’ll just end it with I hope that the mother’s need to go public and get her 15 minutes of social media fame as a victim from this incident that from all signs was handled professionally doesn’t change how we deal with the important job of protecting children from human trafficking.

I have zero problem with the flight attendant taking action. Sure, be mad (mom) but don’t pull out the victim card. Understand the airline’s concern… and understand you may not agree with it.. and then move on.

Hell, I had the Des Moines police knock on my door 3 years ago due to a report of potential domestic violence. I was asked to step outside the house when they arrived and answer questions, etc.

Turns out the officers had the wrong address … I could have ranted and raved about injustice … but the officers were simply following their process when facing a potential domestic abuse situation.

They apologized profusely and we each went our own way. Sure, my cage was rattled but I appreciated the steps they do take when they do face domestic violence reports

Lol at thinking your story is similar

Can anyone post an actual documented example of human trafficking working in the way this flight attendant suspected? I’m wondering if some people are perhaps a bit too paranoid and misinformed about such things.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
We’re just different then. I wouldn’t be offended or angry. I’d see that the problem they’re trying to solve is bigger than me and my feelings and appreciate them trying to do what’s right.

Edit to add: And I certainly wouldn’t run to the press claiming some victimization BS which will potentially make it harder for them to do an important job in the future. That’s the Karen in this situation. Child trafficking is very real.
Exactly. Why does every offense, or perceived offense, need to make national news these days? Drama sells. Thank you to the flight attendant who was only trying to help.

Can anyone post an actual documented example of human trafficking working in the way this flight attendant suspected? I’m wondering if some people are perhaps a bit too paranoid and misinformed about such things.

Yep. This training and acting on it is extremely important.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
As long as the questioning was respectful the mom has no beef and the flight attendant is certainly in the clear. The mother can talk all she wants about them being exhausted and upset over their circumstances but there's no way for the FA to know that and even if told, no way to verify it.

Would she have made the same call were the mother and daughter the same race? *shrug* Who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT