ADVERTISEMENT

A Tribe Called Quest...

LesClaypool

HR Heisman
Jan 12, 2004
Greatest rap group ever. I'm not talking about individual MCs like Nas or Tupac...but the greatest group ever.

Yes there are other phenomenally great groups: Beastie Boys, Gang Starr, De La Soul, Outkast, NWA, and plenty of others that I'm leaving out.

But Tribe is the best ever.

Discuss.

P.S. And The Low End Theory is the single greatest rap album ever.

Doing as they do in sports talk, and trying to make a case for a singular "best ever" in music (or any form of the arts) is too subjective to be a substantive debate, imo. But, there's no doubt Quest is right up there with the others you mentioned, to which I'd also add Public Enemy and Run-DMC.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I like your assesment and agree that Low End is fabulous. For me if we are talking best group I would say Beastie Boys. They had huge hits, great rhymes and hooks plus they evolved and could play actual instruments well.

giphy.gif

They are one of those bands that critics love, but despite trying several times, I just can't get into them.

Others in that category for me: Roxie Music, Velvet Underground, Jackson Browne.
For me that band is Wilco. I just can't get into them no matter how hard I try. Tons of people I know, whose musical opinions I respect, all love them...but I just don't get them. So I know what you're talking about.

Reactions: torbee
As others have stated...the wu, beasties, and even outkast (southern roots require me to add) are contenders.

For me that band is Wilco. I just can't get into them no matter how hard I try. Tons of people I know, whose musical opinions I respect, all love them...but I just don't get them. So I know what you're talking about.
That's interesting because Wilco is one of my top 5 ever bands. I started as a big Uncle Tupelo fan right after I graduated from college. I will admit, when I first heard the album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, I was like what the hell IS that!? But it has really grown on me. I can totally see how they are a hard band to get into though.

They are ok. Im team Son Volt.

You can absolutely make a good argument for them as the GOAT.

My Mt Rushmore, in no particular order: The Pharcyde, OutKast, A Tribe Called Quest, Wu Tang
Actually that would've been a better thread..."Who's on your Mount Rushmore of Rap Groups?"

For me it would be:

Tribe
Gang Starr
OutKast
Beastie Boys

Hard for me to leave PE off, but I have to very reluctantly admit that their catalog hasn't held up as well as the others.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Mount Rushmore of this category has to include NWA. They were too impactful on The genre, and just music in general, to not be there.

These conversations are never a competition for me, it mainly comes down to personal taste. For me, Tribe checks every box on the type of hip hop I love to listen to. Beauty in perfected simplicity I think, just beats you can sit into.

Edit: Thanks for this thread, fired up Low End Theory, great way to start my Saturday.

Last edited:
I wasn't a huge fan of Tribe back in the day but maybe it's because I'm older now I appreciate their work much more than most. That being said they will never be better than the BBoys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT