ADVERTISEMENT

A trip down memory lane...

Lamoni

Team MVP
Dec 2, 2011
I heard a podcast interview with Troy Skinner today and it took me back to the days when Iowa basketball was a lot easier to stomach. I had forgotten about all of the great players that came through the program in the early 90s (Armstrong, Bullard, Earl, Lester, Barnes, Murray) when we used to make the NCAA tourney every year. It was especially fascinating to hear Skinner still get choked up talking about Chris Street and how much the reunion meant to him this year. It is so impressive that a guy who passed away so many years ago can still have a huge impact on an entire program 25 years later. Good stuff.

Not to mention those Palmer High teams of the late 80s were legendary...

Link if you're interested:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/podcast/2018/2/26/ep-50-palmer-hero-troy-skinner

My favorite Iowa teams were under Tom Davis. The players hustled their hearts out, especially on defense. Of course, everybody always loves the kid from the little school who does well, although as I recall Skinner still got the same troll treatment at Iowa from some fans that our players do now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawks1958
I heard a podcast interview with Troy Skinner today and it took me back to the days when Iowa basketball was a lot easier to stomach. I had forgotten about all of the great players that came through the program in the early 90s (Armstrong, Bullard, Earl, Lester, Barnes, Murray) when we used to make the NCAA tourney every year. It was especially fascinating to hear Skinner still get choked up talking about Chris Street and how much the reunion meant to him this year. It is so impressive that a guy who passed away so many years ago can still have a huge impact on an entire program 25 years later. Good stuff.

Not to mention those Palmer High teams of the late 80s were legendary...

Link if you're interested:
https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com/podcast/2018/2/26/ep-50-palmer-hero-troy-skinner
Please do not forget the really olden days. Weir, Ives, Carl Cain, Deacon Davis, Bill Loan, Chuck Darling and the rest of the men that went to two final fours. I was very fortunate to have seen them all play. I still have memories of then wearing the uniforms of my College. Good luck today Hawks

Reactions: NashvilleHawk
My favorite team is the 1969-70 Hawkeyes who came within one putback of the Final Four. They went undefeated in the Big Ten season and averaged over 100 points per game, without the 3-point shot. The starters were Dick Jensen, Johnny Johnson, Glenn Vidnovic, Chad Calabria and Downtown Freddy Brown. Ben McGilmer came off the bench as sixth man. Johnson and Brown later won NBA championships as members of the Seattle Supersonics.

I am too young to remember some of those older teams, which is why I favor those Tom Davis teams of the 80s and 90s. I remember Skinner getting a lot of trolling from the Iowa fanbase back then. I was glad the podcast brought that up and thought he responded well to it.

My favorite team is the 1969-70 Hawkeyes who came within one putback of the Final Four. They went undefeated in the Big Ten season and averaged over 100 points per game, without the 3-point shot. The starters were Dick Jensen, Johnny Johnson, Glenn Vidnovic, Chad Calabria and Downtown Freddy Brown. Ben McGilmer came off the bench as sixth man. Johnson and Brown later won NBA championships as members of the Seattle Supersonics.

The Jacksonville tourney game is my first Iowa basketball on TV memory. Great, great game.

It was years before I saw them again on TV, pretty sure the Olson years when the Hawkeye Television Network was formed was the next time they were on.

That is an incredible state about JBo. I’m surprised Skinner didn’t have more assists.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT