A requiem for the Big 10 West . . . This weeks Tuesdays With Torbee

torbee

HR King
Gold Member

Tuesdays With Torbee​

by Tory Brecht•5 minutes•
https://twitter.com/HawkeyeReport

d2e974b05b6b8c7a17a9055e40fc199f

The sloppy, low-scoring, mistake-ridden yet oddly compelling and competitive tussle between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Nebraska Cornhuskers on Black Friday was a perfect epitaph for the now-defunct Big 10 West Division.

Rest in peace, you purveyor of punts and provider of endless schadenfreude.

Yes, fierce defense was on display from both teams. So too were hyper conservative offensive game plans, special teams gaffes, poor quarterback play, spotty officiating, questionable time management, missed field goals, back breaking interceptions and all the other sublime silliness that helped define college football’s weirdest, wackiest and maybe worst division.

The drama will be missed, if not the near ineptitude.

Don’t get me wrong, I am giddy about Iowa football’s achievement of 10 wins with a depleted roster devoid of its best offensive weapons. This is Kirk Ferentz’s best coaching job since the MacGyver-like 2004 Big 10 title won by a run-first team without a running game. Anyone who thinks the elder Ferentz is past his prime or the game has “passed him by” is woefully mistaken. No coach in the country could have coaxed this roster of misfit toys to 10 (actually 11) wins other than the longest-tenured head coach in the game, I am convinced.

What this season’s Hawkeyes lack in star power and health is more than made up for in resilience, heart and moxie. There is a terrible beauty in its power to win ugly, time after time.

On Friday, even special teams – one of the two strong pillars all season along with the defense – went AWOL. Two kickoffs out of bounds, two blocked field goals – that is not a formula for success for Iowa. Yet when the chips were down, Ferentz made the bold decision to bring out a cold transfer kicker whose first-ever attempt in a Hawkeye uniform sent 80,000 rabid Nebraska fans home miserable. What a story.

Of course, the entire sports-watching world is certain the Cinderella story ends next Saturday in Indianapolis. The plucky Hawkeyes are taking on the Evil Empire, and Darth Vader is back on the sidelines having served his slap-on-the wrist for cheating. The line favors the Michigan Wolverines by 22.5 points and frankly, that feels a bit low. After all, a better Iowa team faced a worse Michigan team in the 2021 Big 10 Championship game and got steamrolled 42-3. Granted, it was mostly competitive in the first half, but once the tsunami hit, the Hawkeyes succumbed.

Can Iowa make the rematch more competitive?

I think so, but it will be a tough ask. The first order of business is slowing down Michigan’s running game. People point to Iowa’s dismantling at the hands of Penn State 31-0 as proof the Hawkeyes can’t hang with elite teams. That’s a fair analysis, but I think ignores the fact that heading into that game, every intangible favored Penn State: revenge, a night whiteout, a still gimpy Cade McNamara. Even so, the game was only 10-0 at halftime before Iowa’s worn out defense finally crumbled and gave up 21 straight points in the second half while the Hawkeye offense was stuck in reverse.

A similar outcome is certainly plausible in Indianapolis, but hopefully the coaching staff has learned some lessons since that loss. This is another game where a frustrating ball-control, “first do no harm” offensive game plan is needed. Against Michigan, punting and field position will matter. Then you have to hope the defense does its things, some special teams magic occurs and maybe – just maybe – Iowa can make Harbaugh’s heroes sweat.

Regardless of the outcome, I am proud to call myself a fan of this team. Absolutely nothing has come easy to it and yet it goes out, competes and usually wins week-after-week. Winning the final West Division title and representing it in the championship game is a stellar achievement worth celebrating.

I’m also not a member of the “woe is me” camp that believes the Hawkeyes are destined for mediocrity due to the end of divisions and an expanding conference footprint. Frankly, that is loser talk from fans of the program that arguably did the most to dismantle the “Big 2, Little 8” narrative of Big 10 football back in the 1980s.

Will it be harder to be in position for a title in a division-less, 18-team league with new blueblood programs from the West Coast? Absolutely. Does this mean Iowa is destined to be Purdue or Rutgers? Hell no!

Iowa football has the facilities, fan and financial support, coaching and earned pedigree to continue to be a top tier team in the Big 10. Are we really supposed to fear a UCLA team that can’t beat 5-6 Cal, a USC team that limped to a 7-5 record by losing four of its last 5 or a Washington team that needed an Indiana castoff to help it squeak by a 5-7 Washington State team that’s headed to the Mountain West?

Not me.

A new era is dawning for the Big 10 and that can be a bit frightening. But if this season has taught us anything, it’s that Iowa under Kirk Ferentz can take a punch, another punch and yet another punch and still come out fighting and winning.

Follow me on Twitter @ToryBrecht and the 12 Saturdays Podcast @12Saturdays.

Last edited:
Torbee truly recognizes that the Hawkeye players love Kirk
Ferentz, maybe more of the fans will too. His players never
give up, are competitive and want to win. The last two wins
against Illinois and Nebraska will make you believe in miracles.

Last edited:
I'm not necessarily convinced the 4 new schools are going to maintain their prior success moving in with us.

My thinking is no division will have more of an impact than those schools over time.
Oregon is equipped to be one of the top 3 alongside OSU and Michigan. They recruit nationally and I think Lanning can sustain a high level of success there. I’m not convinced that Washington can keep this up once this current QB/WR stable moves on. DeBoer inherited a damn good roster. USC; I just can’t see Riley ever embracing the kind of identity needed to win in the B1G.

If this transition was happening 5 years ago (Iowa and Wisconsin both very strong, the PAC 12 being weaker), the narrative would be entirely different.

Tuesdays With Torbee​

The sloppy, low-scoring, mistake-ridden yet oddly compelling and competitive tussle between the Iowa Hawkeyes and Nebraska Cornhuskers on Black Friday was a perfect epitaph for the now-defunct Big 10 West Division.

Yes, fierce defense was on display from both teams. So too were hyper conservative offensive game plans, special teams gaffes, poor quarterback play, spotty officiating, questionable time management, missed field goals, back breaking interceptions and all the other sublime silliness that helped define college football’s weirdest, wackiest and maybe worst division.

Don’t get me wrong, I am giddy about Iowa football’s achievement of 10 wins with a depleted roster devoid of its best offensive weapons. This is Kirk Ferentz’s best coaching job since the MacGyver-like 2004 Big 10 title won by a run-first team without a running game. Anyone who thinks the elder Ferentz is past his prime or the game has “passed him by” is woefully mistaken. No coach in the country could have coaxed this roster of misfit toys to 10 (actually 11) wins other than the longest-tenured head coach in the game, I am convinced.

What this season’s Hawkeyes lack in star power and health is more than made up for in resilience, heart and moxie. There is a terrible beauty in its power to win ugly, time after time.

On Friday, even special teams – one of the two strong pillars all season along with the defense – went AWOL. Two kickoffs out of bounds, two blocked field goals – that is not a formula for success for Iowa. Yet when the chips were down, Ferentz made the bold decision to bring out a cold transfer kicker whose first-ever attempt in a Hawkeye uniform sent 80,000 rabid Nebraska fans home miserable. What a story.

Of course, the entire sports-watching world is certain the Cinderella story ends next Saturday in Indianapolis. The plucky Hawkeyes are taking on the Evil Empire, and Darth Vader is back on the sidelines having served his slap-on-the wrist for cheating. The line favors the Michigan Wolverines by 22.5 points and frankly, that feels a bit low. After all, a better Iowa team faced a worse Michigan team in the 2021 Big 10 Championship game and got steamrolled 42-3. Granted, it was mostly competitive in the first half, but once the tsunami hit, the Hawkeyes succumbed.

I think so, but it will be a tough ask. The first order of business is slowing down Michigan’s running game. People point to Iowa’s dismantling at the hands of Penn State 31-0 as proof the Hawkeyes can’t hang with elite teams. That’s a fair analysis, but I think ignores the fact that heading into that game, every intangible favored Penn State: revenge, a night whiteout, a still gimpy Cade McNamara. Even so, the game was only 10-0 at halftime before Iowa’s worn out defense finally crumbled and gave up 21 straight points in the second half while the Hawkeye offense was stuck in reverse.

A similar outcome is certainly plausible in Indianapolis, but hopefully the coaching staff has learned some lessons since that loss. This is another game where a frustrating ball-control, “first do no harm” offensive game plan is needed. Against Michigan, punting and field position will matter. Then you have to hope the defense does its things, some special teams magic occurs and maybe – just maybe – Iowa can make Harbaugh’s heroes sweat.

Regardless of the outcome, I am proud to call myself a fan of this team. Absolutely nothing has come easy to it and yet it goes out, competes and usually wins week-after-week. Winning the final West Division title and representing it in the championship game is a stellar achievement worth celebrating.

I’m also not a member of the “woe is me” camp that believes the Hawkeyes are destined for mediocrity due to the end of divisions and an expanding conference footprint. Frankly, that is loser talk from fans of the program that arguably did the most to dismantle the “Big 2, Little 8” narrative of Big 10 football back in the 1980s.

Will it be harder to be in position for a title in a division-less, 18-team league with new blueblood programs from the West Coast? Absolutely. Does this mean Iowa is destined to be Purdue or Rutgers? Hell no!

Iowa football has the facilities, fan and financial support, coaching and earned pedigree to continue to be a top tier team in the Big 10. Are we really supposed to fear a UCLA team that can’t beat 5-6 Cal, a USC team that limped to a 7-5 record by losing four of its last 5 or a Washington team that needed an Indiana castoff to help it squeak by a 5-7 Washington State team that’s headed to the Mountain West?

Not me.

A new era is dawning for the Big 10 and that can be a bit frightening. But if this season has taught us anything, it’s that Iowa under Kirk Ferentz can take a punch, another punch and yet another punch and still come out fighting and winning.

Great post. Totally agree Iowa can and should continue to be an upper division B1G team and should put itself in position to knock off the big boys once in a while.

The thing about power conferences...nobody plays all the best teams week in and week out. There will still be 2-3 games/year at most against those programs, and really are we supposed to bow to USC and UCLA? What happened last time we played one of them?

Reactions: torbee
torbee, would you like to make a score prediction for the B1G championship game?

Do you have any side predictions, like number of punts by each team, and if there will be a safety?

torbee, would you like to make a score prediction for the B1G championship game?

Do you have any side predictions, like number of punts by each team, and if there will be a safety?
I just feel like Iowa is due for one of its “hang tough” games against an excellent opponent.

I just don’t know if they have the firepower to do it.

I think they’ll hang ok in the first half - maybe down 10-0 or 13-3.

Things get away in second half and Michigan wins like 30-13.

I just feel like Iowa is due for one of its “hang tough” games against an excellent opponent.

I just don’t know if they have the firepower to do it.

I think they’ll hang ok in the first half - maybe down 10-0 or 13-3.

Things get away in second half and Michigan wins like 30-13.

Buck up, l'il camper! If GaTech can hang with Georgia, certainly Iowa can hang with Michigan! Weird things happen in championship games!

I admit I’m scarred by being at the 2021 game in person. That sucked ass.
I'm just glad it's such a late kickoff. Tailgating before that game was the most fun I've ever had at a tailgate. So I enjoyed the shit out of the day, walked into the stadium high as a kite, and drunk as balls, then watched Iowa get waxed.

But at least it didn't happen at 11AM and then I get hammered out of depression the rest of the day

5_26_17_shrug-thumb-640xauto-999241.gif

I'm just glad it's such a late kickoff. Tailgating before that game was the most fun I've ever had at a tailgate. So I enjoyed the shit out of the day, walked into the stadium high as a kite, and drunk as balls, then watched Iowa get waxed.

But at least it didn't happen at 11AM and then I get hammered out of depression the rest of the day

5_26_17_shrug-thumb-640xauto-999241.gif
The drive home on depressing ass I-74 Sunday morning in the freezing rain and gloom while hungover was brutal.

The drive home on depressing ass I-74 Sunday morning in the freezing rain and gloom while hungover was brutal.
Yes, yes it was. But the stop at Waffle House before hitting the road was glorious as always.

B10 West football is slow, stupid and ugly (although fun-ugly when you're 10-2) because there is a dearth of skilled position talent. The Hawks just happen to be about the most mentally tough team I've seen this year. It has not been a fun ride this year, but incredibly memorable.

I was there for the 2015, 9:00 plus 22 play, gut punch drive that seemed all but impossible to stop. Not sure what was worse...

2015 was way worse. The hype around that game and Iowa season was through the roof. Iowa was 9 mins from giving the rest of college football a big shit burger to eat and going to the playoffs. That’s as devastated as I’ve been as an Iowa football fan and it’s not even close

2015 was way worse. The hype around that game and Iowa season was through the roof. Iowa was 9 mins from giving the rest of college football a big shit burger to eat and going to the playoffs. That’s as devastated as I’ve been as an Iowa football fan and it’s not even close
But at least they were competitive.

Showing up and getting outclassed in a championship game is kind of humiliating.

Tuesdays With Torbee​

Not me.

Damn, catching strays here. There is a reason the Purdue - Iowa rivalry is known for having the most hate in sports.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT