ADVERTISEMENT

Actually, pretty encouraged after MI game all things considered...

skydog0784

HR All-American
Sep 11, 2013
... winning at MI was going to be a very tall order, most of us had this marked down as a loss & IA hung around.

Garza is incredible, 44 points - OMG! Connor is the second most valuable player on this team this entire season.

Pick up the W vs MN, ISU (will be really tough), and Cinn and we're about where we thought we'd be.

Iowa used to have a kid from Muscatine who could really play. Like to have him back.
Murray Weir isn’t coming back.

Oh, you mean Joe? Sophomore slumping hard with the added concentration from opposing defenses, but he isn’t forcing it. Honestly he could force the issue a bit more. He’s too passive right now.

Reactions: JRingo and 2432Hawk

Oh, you mean Joe? Sophomore slumping hard with the added concentration from opposing defenses, but he isn’t forcing it. Honestly he could force the issue a bit more. He’s too passive right now.

Most definitely.

Maybe it's not in his nature to just take over, and this isn't like back in HS when he was essentially a one man team, but he needs to somehow gain some assertiveness on the court.

Maybe spend some more time with Toussaint and see if a little of his attitude rubs off.

I was oddly encouraged too. I don't believe in moral victories but I thought we were going to get train wrecked multiple times only to come back and cut it to less than 10. Guys didn't quit and Garza is an absolute monster. Solid way to start B1G play. Nothing like averaging 44 pts a game :).

I have confidence Joe W. will get it going again. We all see what his problems are at the moment.

More of a scheme loss than a talent loss really. Juwan is definitely off to a great start.

Stop micromanaging Toussaint. When it makes sense to play him, play him.

Went to zone to avoid playing ball screen defense. Poor decision. Feels like a decision made just because we wanted certain personnel on the floor and not because it would get a stop.

I loved Murray. He has was my favorite history teacher/teacher ever. His version of teaching history was talking about tennis and his love for Bjorn Borg or just telling random life stories. Nobody knew he was a basketball legend as youngsters, at least I didn’t. He never talked about it. He was all tennis as the greatest sport.

Barely taught history, thank god history is the easiest class there is, and he NEVER talked about basketball. He’d bust your balls and would just crush you with intelligent shit talking. Obviously he picked that up on the court. I was lucky to have him as a “teacher.” Looked forward to it everyday. He would have you in tears with his dry humor and his burning of fellow students. All in good fun.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I agree Skydog. I liked the continuous fight of this team to stay in it and not let the game turn into a blowout. There are times that would have happened in the past.

We have to remember this is a realistically Top Ten team that might win the Big Ten playing at home against Iowa team that’s short handed and dealing with injuries to some key players. This Iowa team didn’t give up.

Garza is a monster offensively. He struggled against the pick and role defensively but I’ve never seen a more consistently better low post scorer for Iowa then him in my 30+ years of watching. He’s just a warrior.

For some reason, people still have a hard-on about Connor yet he had another really solid all-around game with 12 points, 7 reb, 3 assists, and again 0 TO’s and being key piece to keeping Iowa in the game in the second half. I really don’t understand the hate for Connor - it is perplexing to say the least. That’s fine if you want more minutes for Touissant - I don’t necessarily disagree - but it shouldn’t be Connor’s minutes.

Wieskamp is my biggest worry. He’s just in a funk. It seems like he’s thinking too much and playing scared - which honestly I didn’t think would be something I was be saying before the year. If he could even get close to what he was last year, this team would be that much better. Right now he Is just struggling.

Yeah, the defense had issues but Michigan is good and was hitting on all cylinders. But you can’t give up that many offensive rebounds. Kreiner and Pemsl especially struggled on the defensive boards. This two possessions giving up 3-4 offensive rebounds on each one were just absolute killers.

Iowa isn’t going to be a Top 4 team in the conference but I see no reason they can’t be in the 5-7 range and be a tourney team.

Last edited:
I agree Skydog. I liked the continuous fight of this team to stay in it and not let the game turn into a blowout. There are times that would have happened in the past.

We have to remember this is a realistically Top Ten team that might win the Big Ten playing at home against Iowa team that’s short handed and dealing with injuries to some key players. This Iow team didn’t give up.

Garza is a monster offensively. He struggled against the pick and role defensively but I’ve never seen a more consistently better low post scorer for Iowa then home in my 30+ years of watching. He’s just a warrior.

For some reason, people still have a hard-on about Connor yet he had another really solid all-around game with 12 points, 7 reb, 3 assists, and again 0 TO’s and being key piece to keeping Iowa in the game in the second half. I really don’t understand the hate for Connor - it is perplexing to say the least. That’s fine if you want more minutes for Touissant - I don’t necessarily disagree - but it shouldn’t be Connor’s minutes.

Wieskamp is my biggest worry. He’s just in a funk. It seems like he’s thinking too much and playing scared - which honestly I didn’t think would be something I was be saying before the year. If he could even get close to what he was last year, this team would be that much better. Right now he Is just struggling.

Yeah, the defense had issues but Michigan is good and was hitting on all cylinders. But you can’t give up that many offensive rebounds. Kreiner and Pemsl especially struggled on the defensive boards. This two possessions giving up 3-4 offensive rebounds on each one were just absolute killers.

Iowa isn’t going to be a Top 4 team in the conference but I see no reason they can’t be in the 5-7 range and be a tourney team.

I think you summed it up pretty well.

Also, I will add that the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game but why does the Big Ten have such a hard time finding decent, competent basketball refs? There were just some horrible calls, mainly against Iowa, that I can’t even fathom what they are watching. I hate their constant “anticipation” calls.

If you weren’t encouraged tonight, that’s a you problem. Michigan played a very good game, hit a lot of shots and outmanned Iowa athletically enough times to win by double digits. Plus, it was a fun game to watch in comparison to those maulings we typically see versus teams like MSU, Purdue, etc. up and down, free flowing and high scoring is the way the game is meant to be played.

But Iowa displayed an attitude and toughness we don’t see out of them often. This was a game that has been lost by 30+ in the past but these guys hate losing. Luka had one of the best performances many of us have ever seen a Hawkeye have. Connor has been top notch. Weiskamp will come around as he gets healthy (note: he’s not). Fredrick is a treat to watch and Joe T has been the type of PG we’ve asked for since fran got here from an athleticism and toughness standpoint. Mid major teams always had a guy like him that we wish we had.

The only gripe I have at this point is that I’m not sure Pemsl helps more than he hurts right now. He’s just been lost quite often.

Overall, this team will get beat by teams that are head and shoulders above them talent- wise (like tonight) but they will fight like hell and win a lot of games.

... winning at MI was going to be a very tall order, most of us had this marked down as a loss & IA hung around.

Garza is incredible, 44 points - OMG! Connor is the second most valuable player on this team this entire season.

Pick up the W vs MN, ISU (will be really tough), and Cinn and we're about where we thought we'd be.
I agree the offensive plan is great but there’s another half to the sport and we are not good at it.

Well said Randy. Can’t argue with anything you said. At this point in the season Garza is an All American. Averaging a double double and dropped 45 on the number 4 team in the country. Still wish Fran would find a coach that could teach him ball screen defense. Score 90 and lose by double digits? Damn.

It's amazing how well this team performs with the number of injuries and the missed practice.

Luka said after the game that he missed the last two days of practice with a sprained ankle from the Syracuse game......said he didn't know if he would play.

I think this team needs to practice defense......every day. When they do that I think we've seen them be okay at it. But, to many guys not practicing makes it hard to have continuity with team defense....

It's amazing how well this team performs with the number of injuries and the missed practice.

Luka said after the game that he missed the last two days of practice with a sprained ankle from the Syracuse game......said he didn't know if he would play.

I think this team needs to practice defense......every day. When they do that I think we've seen them be okay at it. But, to many guys not practicing makes it hard to have continuity with team defense....

Yeah, our starting five vs. Michigan (Garza, CMac, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Bohannon), and 3 of those guys didn't practice all week (Garza, Fredrick, and Bohannon).

Once Bohannon shuts it down and Toussaint and Evelyn get more PT that is going to improve our defense. I'm just blown away at the help / recovery that JT possesses. He's not just fast, he's physical and fearless.

More of a scheme loss than a talent loss really. Juwan is definitely off to a great start.

Went to zone to avoid playing ball screen defense. Poor decision. Feels like a decision made just because we wanted certain personnel on the floor and not because it would get a stop.

Agree 100%. Fran needs to get his head out with Joe T. So the kid is going to make mistakes. He at least gives Iowa some presence of a disruptive influence on defense and the hope of some easy / transition baskets all by himself. He bothers opposing teams with his quickness. You cannot say this about anyone else on the team.

Yeah, our starting five vs. Michigan (Garza, CMac, Wieskamp, Fredrick, Bohannon), and 3 of those guys didn't practice all week (Garza, Fredrick, and Bohannon).

Once Bohannon shuts it down and Toussaint and Evelyn get more PT that is going to improve our defense. I'm just blown away at the help / recovery that JT possesses. He's not just fast, he's physical and fearless.
Yeah, Toussaint has the potential to be a game changer on defense. He is so quick that he can literally cover the entire court.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
Agree 100%. Fran needs to get his head out with Joe T. So the kid is going to make mistakes. He at least gives Iowa some presence of a disruptive influence on defense and the hope of some easy / transition baskets all by himself. He bothers opposing teams with his quickness. You cannot say this about anyone else on the team.

I think Fran might be handling him just right.....IF JBO shuts it down after the ISU game there is all of a sudden more PT for a PG. Between now and then break him in using smart decisions to teach him how important certain aspects of the game are for him to perform at a high level: turnovers, decisions, when to go and when not, along with the general handling of the pressure and physical play of the B10.

There was a point in the Michigan game where Joe was jawing with Xavier Simpson and was in the middle of a bunch of Michigan players...Cordell went and got him out of there and Fran took him out right after that. I think he did that to protect Joe from getting into it with those Michigan veterans that might manipulate him into fouls, etc....a good teaching moment. One that we might not be able to afford once JBO is no longer an option.

Also, I will add that the refs had nothing to do with the outcome of the game but why does the Big Ten have such a hard time finding decent, competent basketball refs? There were just some horrible calls, mainly against Iowa, that I can’t even fathom what they are watching. I hate their constant “anticipation” calls.

That's college refs in general. If you want to watch a well refereed game you need to watch the NBA. Yes I know you & others on this board have your 40 year old cliches about the NBA, but that's where the good refs are.

Reactions: littlez

I agree, but he needs to be much STRONGER with the ball and pick up his defense too.

Pretty amazing that Connor hasn’t committed a TO in the last 4.5 games, and over 130 minutes of court time. I’m still high on these Hawkeyes.
12 pts (50% shooting), 7 boards, 3 ast, 0 turnovers.

Connor is starting to fill that "Baer" role. He's not lighting up the scoring box but he is doing a lot of little things on the court to help the team. He's far from the most talented player on the team, but he is still pretty valuable.

Bingo.

Fran can't bring himself to sacrifice potential offensive for defense.

I'm looking forward to 3 games from now when Fran will no longer have the option to keep Tuossaint out.

I expect Iowa to grow into a more effective all around team by mid season.

Reactions: perryhawk
I think Fran might be handling him just right.....IF JBO shuts it down after the ISU game there is all of a sudden more PT for a PG. Between now and then break him in using smart decisions to teach him how important certain aspects of the game are for him to perform at a high level: turnovers, decisions, when to go and when not, along with the general handling of the pressure and physical play of the B10.

There was a point in the Michigan game where Joe was jawing with Xavier Simpson and was in the middle of a bunch of Michigan players...Cordell went and got him out of there and Fran took him out right after that. I think he did that to protect Joe from getting into it with those Michigan veterans that might manipulate him into fouls, etc....a good teaching moment. One that we might not be able to afford once JBO is no longer an option.

I don't disagree with anything you say above, but I wish more guys played with Joe's confidence and aggression. Multiple guys went into turtle mode last night and let Michigan dictate everything to them. Joe T needs to grow up and leave the playground antics behind, but I like that he isn't intimidated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT