ADVERTISEMENT

AD vs Suriano

Big Pip

HB MVP
Jan 29, 2002
What exactly happened in the match? Could someone explain a little bit better than the other thread has done?

Suriano got a takedown in the first and built up some riding time. Then spent the rest of the match dancing around and more or less baiting AD into a fight. I like AD in the rubber match, but he'll probably need to go through Micic first at nationals to make it happen.

Suriano wrestled pissed right from the start. Got an easy TD and then held on. Austin wore him down still but just didn't have enough. Suriano jawed a lot at the end (which is fair considering what Austin did in Carver). They had to be separated for a minute at the end and then they shook hands and seemed to have some good words for each other.

Suriano was obviously looking forward to this match, but I like Austin's chances in round 3

Suriano wrestled pissed right from the start. Got an easy TD and then held on. Austin wore him down still but just didn't have enough. Suriano jawed a lot at the end (which is fair considering what Austin did in Carver). They had to be separated for a minute at the end and then they shook hands and seemed to have some good words for each other.

Suriano was obviously looking forward to this match, but I like Austin's chances in round 3

I am a Rutgers fan so of course I disagree with you on the rubber match but that’s a pretty good breakdown of what I saw.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Nick was over aggressive at the end... once they got to the line to shake hands, they seemed to agree about what happened during the match. If they are okay with it (and it looked like they both were), I don’t see a huge problem going forward.

Suriano got a takedown in the first and built up some riding time. Then spent the rest of the match dancing around and more or less baiting AD into a fight. I like AD in the rubber match, but he'll probably need to go through Micic first at nationals to make it happen.
Barring an upset somewhere... it's a good bet that you have 1. Micic 2. Fix 3. Suriano 4.ADS. The rematch could be for third place . Micic is too strong and long, imo.

Reactions: iowa_native
I am a Rutgers fan so of course I disagree with you on the rubber match but that’s a pretty good breakdown of what I saw.

I am not 100% sure, but I think Nick was over aggressive at the end... once they got to the line to shake hands, they seemed to agree about what happened during the match. If they are okay with it (and it looked like they both were), I don’t see a huge problem going forward.

I'm all DeSanto in the rubber match but I have black and gold goggles on. Objectively I think it's 50/50 either way and an entertaining match.

I looked away for a second and was pissed that DeSanto had to be held back. But I am glad that they talked and hugged it out eventually. I appreciate their fire and look forward to another match, but I don't want them jawing at each other at the end the next time they wrestle*

*full well knowing DeSanto started it two months ago and definitely deserved it today

Last edited:
Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
Barring an upset somewhere... it's a good bet that you have 1. Micic 2. Fix 3. Suriano 4.ADS. The rematch could be for third place . Micic is too strong and long, imo.

Mimic medicals out and will probably face the same as Nolf, Kemmer, did last year. I hope your right on seeding I like Ad with a much better chance if hes the 4.

Reactions: Spoons
80ea7472b7a3bd9773b8307953eb2f923b8107248df1f050e3c0a25c405d5858.jpg

You know what? Fair.

The Iowa fan in me wants to hate this interview, but he earned it tonight, and wasn't out of line or disrespectful in what he said

Agreed, it was cocky and respectful at the same time. If that was an interview an Iowa wrestler gave I would have appreciated it. I look forward to ADS getting the rematch at nationals and feel confident in his chances.

Micic forfeiting gave Fix the #1 seed. If Suriano wins against Pletcher he is #2 seed. If AD gets 3rd he is the 3. Micic is #4 . Just my opinion.
If Pletcher wins? Lord only knows. Especially if Philippi of PITT wins out
Punishment was pretty harsh last year for taking a pass

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
It looked to me like Suriano was pointing pretty hard at Brands and calling him out. Not sure what he said, but it made the hair on the back my head stand up

Micic forfeiting gave Fix the #1 seed. If Suriano wins against Pletcher he is #2 seed. If AD gets 3rd he is the 3. Micic is #4 . Just my opinion.
If Pletcher wins? Lord only knows. Especially if Philippi of PITT wins out
Punishment was pretty harsh last year for taking a pass
Unless you have a legitimate injury that caused the mff (like Suriano in 2017) and will prevent the wrestler from going 90+%, the punishment seems to be on the other wrestlers having to face the best guy earlier than anticipated. See Nolf as an example. It goes both ways.

It looked to me like Suriano was pointing pretty hard at Brands and calling him out. Not sure what he said, but it made the hair on the back my head stand up

There is a still shot floating around where it oooked like he was pointing at Telford who was pointing back.

Either way, after watching that interview, I think the extracurricular are done.

Last edited:
Assuming matches finish to chalk, I think realistic seeding tab NCAA is

1. Fix
2. Suriano
3. Phillippi
4. Micic
5. DeSanto

I think Micic will get hit hard by the MFF.

Kudos to Suriano for winnig the match He did seem to have an edge which is understandable. There were a couple of times it appeared that he wrestled too aggressively, like after the whistle, and the threw his hands up as if to say “I’m not doing nuttin’“. Classic Eddie Haskell routine.

AD and his head gear was a blessing for Suriano, I believe the outcome would have been different.

AD loss is a motivator for nationals. Plus love the thought he will be fired up beings he will be the underdog with Fix, Suriano and Micic. We just have to hope there is no break in the action to give him a better chance of winning.

These 2 wrestlers are a great match up. I think NS is the better wrestler and more dominant in both matches. However, AD turns it up a notch in the 3rd in neutral of both matches and NS feels the pressure, feels the crowd screaming for stalling. The influence on the refs, who probably dont like him anyway. But then AD goes into berzerk mode and anything can happen... great drama and intensity and its obviously personal too.

I just hope they meet again in nationals. Advantage NS but everyone will be zeroed in on this match, like Ali/Frazier. They might just pause all the other matches cause nobody will want to miss this one

AD and his head gear was a blessing for Suriano, I believe the outcome would have been different.

AD loss is a motivator for nationals. Plus love the thought he will be fired up beings he will be the underdog with Fix, Suriano and Micic. We just have to hope there is no break in the action to give him a better chance of winning.
Suriano is one tough cookie, no doubt about it, but so is Austin. This match is a toss-up if it happens again.

Reactions: HIWILLE
Assuming matches finish to chalk, I think realistic seeding tab NCAA is

1. Fix
2. Suriano
3. Phillippi
4. Micic
5. DeSanto

I think Micic will get hit hard by the MFF.
This hits everyone but Micic hard IMO. He's good enough to overcome any seed if he's reasonably healthy.

Regardless, this weight is a minefield, but Micic is the pick if he's OK. IMO

Reactions: HIWILLE and nwia67
There was talk going that he was going to MFF out of that match well before it happened when people were assuming it would be vs RBY. Sounds like something legit may be going on

There was talk going that he was going to MFF out of that match well before it happened when people were assuming it would be vs RBY. Sounds like something legit may be going on

He has a knee injury -- was wearing a big brace yesterday.

Agree. How Desanto reacted after beating Suriano in Iowa City at the end of the match was going to do nothing but give Suriano lots of extra motivation in this match and gave Suriano a pass to throw the same back to Desanto at some point. I understand the high intensity/emotion of the moment in Carver, but the reality is it happened and you can't take it back.

The next match between them (hopefully for the title) should be fabulous!

Last edited:
When I take off the scarlet colored glasses I have to agree, the next match is a toss up.

I think Suriano has The second best gas tank in wrestling.... to Austin.

However I do think nick is better from a technique standpoint.

The next match should be theatrics free given the score seems to be settled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT