ADVERTISEMENT

Adjustments or execution?

Bierhalter

HB All-State
Aug 15, 2023
We all saw that the difference in offense between the first and second halves was night and day. I'm no expert, so was the difference down to adjustments by the offensive staff, execution by the players, or both? What adjustments, if any, did the coaches make to help the offense perform much better in the second half?

Reactions: 1809joel
Cade’s confidence after a couple scrambles changed the way he played the game. It’s one thing to have a conservative offense. It complicates things when you have a qb playing conservatively in an already conservative offense. That’s what we’ve had since Petras. Today in the second half Cade took chances because I think he had confidence he could get back anything he might give away. Letting his targets make plays instead of trying to be exact. Much closer to a Stanzi-like presence on the field in the second half. Some of those balls today might be ints against a better defense, but they can also be big plays in our favor. Have to take a shot.

why-not-both-why-not.gif

We all saw that the difference in offense between the first and second halves was night and day. I'm no expert, so was the difference down to adjustments by the offensive staff, execution by the players, or both? What adjustments, if any, did the coaches make to help the offense perform much better in the second half?
Both. Lester has said that he is going to run some plays and see how the defense reacts then adjust. As I said in another thread, as the season goes on and our offense has more tape on defenses, I would think they will come out a little faster. BUT also the team executed better.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Cade quit playing so tentative, we put our best RB in and our D caused 4 or 5 end of game injuries in the 1st half.
Going back to last year, Cade has had a little hesitation. First half saw some of the same...throwing a little late and behind guys. He threw some great balls in the second half. (miracle floater TD aside)...looked much more confident. Wonder if Lester told him to just go with your instincts and make the play. If plays with confidence, runs when he needs to (which was a nice bonus) and steps into his throws he'll be just the kind of QB this team needs.
Also, in the stadium you get to see things differently. There were a few times he guys open or breaking open deeper and he chose to throw under. He'll probably see that in film session.

Reactions: kwik44
Going back to last year, Cade has had a little hesitation. First half saw some of the same...throwing a little late and behind guys. He threw some great balls in the second half. (miracle floater TD aside)...looked much more confident. Wonder if Lester told him to just go with your instincts and make the play. If plays with confidence, runs when he needs to (which was a nice bonus) and steps into his throws he'll be just the kind of QB this team needs.
Also, in the stadium you get to see things differently. There were a few times he guys open or breaking open deeper and he chose to throw under. He'll probably see that in film session.
He saw the blitz coming and knew it was man coverage. He trusted a tall WR to go up and get it and made them pay the price.

Play calling is much better than in previous years, in addition execution was better in the 2nd half.

Expect the offense to improve every week if everyone remains healthy.

He saw the blitz coming and knew it was man coverage. He trusted a tall WR to go up and get it and made them pay the price.
I think that was actually supposed to be to lachey… but the way Reece attacked it makes me think we could give him more 50/50 balls without fear of INT. Kind of like Brandon Smith. Doesn’t look like he would be easy to steal a 50/50 ball from. Top CB will prolly guard Brown once he’s back. Brown Gill Reece and Lachey is prolly the best receiving core we’ve had in several years.

Reactions: kwik44
You could see the difference before half time take place. We did not score a TD before the half, but we were moving the ball on offense. I believe it was the players, and Cade specifically finding his groove and timing with the receivers.

Reactions: amahawk
Yes

Agreed, and Vander Zee is going to be a good one. If Lester instills confidence in his players and esp his QB that's huge. Today's second half could be a big step in that direction.

Guys were open today. Much more than the past two years. Full confidence in Cade figuring things out.

2nd half our O-line blocked better, something clicked in Cade's head and/or he finally shook off some rust, and they switched to Kaleb Johnson finally who I had wanted to see all game. Moulton, LeShon, and Jaz deserve reps too, but I think Kaleb should be the lead back going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT