ADVERTISEMENT

Adolescent golf clubs

jberesford

HR All-American
Dec 1, 2001
The stepson has maxed out his junior clubs. He started on a brand new set of Callaway XJs and is on the hump of that perfect divide of maybe being good if he tries harder or being a waste of money.

I'm a former competitive player that is still better than most but I was mostly self taught that grew up on cut down clubs at the city course. I'm a club member as an adult who calls bullshit on a 13 year old needing custom fittings. He's shorter than average and likely to remain so as an adult. I took him to the simulator and gave a pretty thorough run through on the demo set for the tallest set of junior clubs, as well as the lady friends set, thinking they were good for his height, as well as my own sticks. He was very similar across the board on all 3. Biggest difference was hitting drives, but that's the easiest club to handle individually.

If he were taller I'd love to just graduate him on to some of my older sets, or could cut some down, but im told by the shop guys that its a bad idea. Anyone else deal with an early teen that lacks height but has good swing speed? I was really hoping his junior set would carry him into adult sizes but I don't want to force him into it just yet if he can't do it.

The stepson has maxed out his junior clubs. He started on a brand new set of Callaway XJs and is on the hump of that perfect divide of maybe being good if he tries harder or being a waste of money.

I'm a former competitive player that is still better than most but I was mostly self taught that grew up on cut down clubs at the city course. I'm a club member as an adult who calls bullshit on a 13 year old needing custom fittings. He's shorter than average and likely to remain so as an adult. I took him to the simulator and gave a pretty thorough run through on the demo set for the tallest set of junior clubs, as well as the lady friends set, thinking they were good for his height, as well as my own sticks. He was very similar across the board on all 3. Biggest difference was hitting drives, but that's the easiest club to handle individually.

If he were taller I'd love to just graduate him on to some of my older sets, or could cut some down, but im told by the shop guys that its a bad idea. Anyone else deal with an early teen that lacks height but has good swing speed? I was really hoping his junior set would carry him into adult sizes but I don't want to force him into it just yet if he can't do it.
Serious reply - if he is strong enough to handle adult clubs and you have a set available, I'd just cut them down and regrip them. If he hits a growth spurt you can go from there.

Serious reply - if he is strong enough to handle adult clubs and you have a set available, I'd just cut them down and regrip them. If he hits a growth spurt you can go from there.

The trouble with cutting down clubs, Especially with someone who is showing promise is that it really affects the shaft flex of the clubs, The more you cut down the club the stiffer the flex becomes. Also affects the swing weight of the clubs.

Last edited:

You've kind of answered your own question with the 'if he tries harder' comment. I'd get him used clubs until he proves he loves the game enough to justify more expensive sticks. I was 4'10" at age 13 and played my mom's clubs for a few years and then my dad's old set. I remember the bigger clubs seeming heavy even if I choked up.

If he sticks with golf he may need to change them twice in the next few years depending on his physical growth. I'd vote for larger youth clubs as the whippier shafts will actually provide a bit more distance. Ladies clubs could too, but be careful about their appearance as it may provide the opportunity to be razzed.

My understanding with Ping irons is they are fairly easy to adjust as they grow.

my son uses Calloway clubs adult size since he was 13, he was 5'6 and stopped at 5'9.

he did pretty good as he golfed in Gates Park Golf Course. winning there twice between his 13th Birth day and his 18th. his golfing is limited 1 adult league then when he goes down to Springfield MO he goes to the Springfield course to play a couple rnds while is down their for the Greater Ozarks Bowling tourney,

which bowls in every year just like he bowls in the USBC Open every year. I felt that my 207 avg was good but his 238 last season blew that out of the water.

I have been playing for a long time and reading and studying the game. I remember hearing or reading that most average or even less than avg players would hit their 6 and 7 irons about the best in their bag. The reason I read was it was just the best swingweight and shaft length in the set for most people. So as someone else has already posted you might want to have your stepson find out if he can still it his current 5 thru 7 irons pretty well, check the swingweight and length, and then look at some used clubs to cover the next few years that have about the same swingweight with slightly longer shafts. And nothing wrong with choking up just an inch on your older adult clubs for a couple of years.

I have the experience of always hitting those mid irons very well.

AFter you find out his current mid irons' swingweight and shaft length then I would look for some used clubs online at places like 2ndswing etc or at your nearest golf equipment seller. At 71 years of age I still hit the ball very well but have been thinking of looking for irons with regular shaft flex rather than my stiff steel.

I recently bought a used Adams and Tour Edge 6 irons from 2ndswing and they have a lot of used sets. Happy golfing.

it also does not hurt to have different named clubs in your bag.
Taylor made drivers are among the best out there. as for the 3 and 5 woods those are very close and can be your favorite club make.

the Irons are what you like best and they feels to you the best. the pitching and 60 degree or your personal feelings wins out. for your short range around the greens.

in my opinion the 5-6-7 Irons work the best in the mid range game. didn't matter much to me if they were Calloway, Ping, Taylor, even the cheapies you find in Wally world worked just fine, if you didn't want to buy a whole new set when you accidently break one by wrapping it around the local tree or slamming [oops dropping it] on the ground, although for some reason it is the Driver that this happens too.

Last edited:
The trouble with cutting down clubs, Especially with someone who is showing promise is that it really affects the shaft flex of the clubs, The more you cut down the club the stiffer the flex becomes. Also affects the swing weight of the clubs.
You said shaft flex

I know some golf manufactures, like Mizuno have a program for juniors if you buy a set of irons, they fit the shafts and as the jr. grows they will change the shafts at around 100.00. Max twice until 18 yrs of age.

Reactions: Scott559
I have been playing for a long time and reading and studying the game. I remember hearing or reading that most average or even less than avg players would hit their 6 and 7 irons about the best in their bag. The reason I read was it was just the best swingweight and shaft length in the set for most people. So as someone else has already posted you might want to have your stepson find out if he can still it his current 5 thru 7 irons pretty well, check the swingweight and length, and then look at some used clubs to cover the next few years that have about the same swingweight with slightly longer shafts. And nothing wrong with choking up just an inch on your older adult clubs for a couple of years.

I have the experience of always hitting those mid irons very well.

AFter you find out his current mid irons' swingweight and shaft length then I would look for some used clubs online at places like 2ndswing etc or at your nearest golf equipment seller. At 71 years of age I still hit the ball very well but have been thinking of looking for irons with regular shaft flex rather than my stiff steel.

I recently bought a used Adams and Tour Edge 6 irons from 2ndswing and they have a lot of used sets. Happy golfing.
I’m 60 and recently went from S300 to R300 shafts. Sucks loosing club head speed. Still play to a 10…18 if we’re playing for $$.

That’s not the ONLY thing that affects shaft flex. A good woman can create a stiff shaft.

My son was in a similar situation and I just bought the equipment and taught him the proper way how to craft clubs, from shafting to grips. It will be a lifelong situation for him, like your son, and learning those skills will provide a huge cost savings through the years (considering that he has a love for the game). I don't put much stock into anyone who dissuades this type of approach - it's fairly common for advanced level golfers to either do it or have it done. Golfers are notorious tinkerers in ALL aspects of the game.

Exactly and they can become so stiff the kid will have trouble getting the ball in the air.

Reactions: Scott559
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT