ADVERTISEMENT

Tidbit on why Lester was hired

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
From an Athletic article today:

New Iowa offensive coordinator Tim Lester spent six years as head coach of his alma mater, Western Michigan, and was 37-32 overall before he was fired after the 2022 season. But it was his season as an analyst in Green Bay that might have propelled him to his current position with the Hawkeyes.

One source who knows Lester well said his interview with Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz was quickly put together. Lester was set to take the Troy offensive coordinator job when Ferentz reached out. Once Lester described how he would incorporate parts of his offense like it was used in Green Bay — especially involving the tight ends — Ferentz was on board. The interview took place Jan. 28 and Lester was hired a day later.

How about no more 3 yard outs when 5 yards is needed for a first. Drives me nuts to see that over and over.
the pros do it a lot because that is what the defense gives them, it is up to the qb to make a really good throw to give the receiver a split second to break a tackle. Doesnt always work, works more in the pros than the 10% of the time at iowa

From an Athletic article today:

New Iowa offensive coordinator Tim Lester spent six years as head coach of his alma mater, Western Michigan, and was 37-32 overall before he was fired after the 2022 season. But it was his season as an analyst in Green Bay that might have propelled him to his current position with the Hawkeyes.

One source who knows Lester well said his interview with Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz was quickly put together. Lester was set to take the Troy offensive coordinator job when Ferentz reached out. Once Lester described how he would incorporate parts of his offense like it was used in Green Bay — especially involving the tight ends — Ferentz was on board. The interview took place Jan. 28 and Lester was hired a day later.

I am really trying to come around on Lester, but it is VERY hard…🙁

So we poached our QB from Fordham and now we hired an OC who had his bags packed for Troy? 🥲

With either Cade or Hill, the OC is not going to have an offense that requires much running from the QB. Cade is to fragile Hill is to slow. As much as we would love to have an updated modern offense it’s not going to happen unless they decide to go with Marco.

I'm happy that Ferentz wants the Tight End pipeline to continue.

I want to see better variations of the run game the most.

So we poached our QB from Fordham and now we hired an OC who had his bags packed for Troy? 🥲
we got a guy who had a oc position sealed up at a decent program that usually puts out good offenses. nothing to scoff at imo. sometimes very competent guys sell themselves short while incompetents reach high...i see this frequently at work. let's see what lester does, i am very hopeful based on what i've learned he's done previously.

Interesting, only because GB TEs accounted for 18.8% of passing yardage....RBs, 12.5%....WR 68.7%.

In terms of TDs, the TEs were 12.5% of the total.

That offense was driven by a strong run game and 4 really good (but young) WRs that CREATED opportunities for the run game and the TEs as well.

Hopefully he has convinced KF THAT is the type of offense he can run. I doubt it though.

Oh....and you need a QB as well.

Reactions: Garzatough85

I understand your disgust. To be fair, however, KF had a two year HC position at Maine, we got Bell from Trinity International, and one of our best OL coaches came directly from Iowa City West. I will take a wait-and-see approach and I think recruits will do the same. I am cautiously optimistic, though, that things will be better.

CFB isn't a perfect meritocracy. There are good and bad coaches at every level. D1 has some terrible ones, DIII has some great ones. Kalen DeBoer and Lance Leipold took forever to get to FBS, but both appear to be great coaches.

The hard part is to identify the good ones. Hopefully Kirk did a better job identifying than his last OC.

If Ferentz still has final say on how "progressive" Lester is allowed to be, it won't matter. He'll be put in a box over time.

Also, if that fatass is still allowed to line up under center next year, it definitely won't matter.
Love it when a fat ass calls an amateur athlete a fat ass. Cause ya know Deacon is making the call on who starts.

With either Cade or Hill, the OC is not going to have an offense that requires much running from the QB. Cade is to fragile Hill is to slow. As much as we would love to have an updated modern offense it’s not going to happen unless they decide to go with Marco.
THIS. I still say, you have to have a wide open competition if for no other reason, then to see what each is capable of (in case they get called up)

we got a guy who had a oc position sealed up at a decent program that usually puts out good offenses. nothing to scoff at imo. sometimes very competent guys sell themselves short while incompetents reach high...i see this frequently at work. let's see what lester does, i am very hopeful based on what i've learned he's done previously.
Full disclosure - I know nothing about Troy…so yeah, hoping for the best but expecting…😉

Reactions: desihawk

I’d wager that’s typical for many of you. The next uplifting positive position you take likely will be your first…🤷‍♂️

I'm happy that Ferentz wants the Tight End pipeline to continue.

I want to see better variations of the run game the most.
Really? Our run blocking blows and our schemes are so predictable around the run I just don’t see a path to improvement here unless there’s a complete overhaul of the offensive formations and strategies

If Ferentz still has final say on how "progressive" Lester is allowed to be, it won't matter. He'll be put in a box over time.

Also, if that fatass is still allowed to line up under center next year, it definitely won't matter.
Hey, last season that fatass hoisted this team up on to his back (a feat made significantly easier by said fatass ) and valiantly led them to 10 (count ‘em), 10 high quality wins. 10 wins that will go down as some of the winningest wins in program history!

Also, KF is who he is. There’s no reason to think that he’s changing at this point.
Anybody expecting significant changes to the offense that resulted in 10 wins is going to be disappointed.

Hey, last season that fatass hoisted this team up on to his back (a feat made significantly easier by said fatass ) and valiantly led them to 10 (count ‘em), 10 high quality wins. 10 wins that will go down as some of the winningest wins in program history!

Also, KF is who he is. There’s no reason to think that he’s changing at this point.
Anybody expecting significant changes to the offense that resulted in 10 wins is going to be disappointed.
I'm really looking forward to the changes coming for this offense. Multiple sets, two back formations, motion...actual in game adjustments, scheming. Lester was hired to move this offense forward.

Reactions: GHawk
funny053.gif

Reactions: TnT_Hawks

Don't you talk bad about my grandbaby, Deacon, the returning starter for Iowa.

Interesting, only because GB TEs accounted for 18.8% of passing yardage....RBs, 12.5%....WR 68.7%.

In terms of TDs, the TEs were 12.5% of the total.

That offense was driven by a strong run game and 4 really good (but young) WRs that CREATED opportunities for the run game and the TEs as well.

Hopefully he has convinced KF THAT is the type of offense he can run. I doubt it though.

Oh....and you need a QB as well.
IIRC, GB had very young TE's last year. Musgrave is going to be a stud. Their production should be better in 2024.

IIRC, GB had very young TE's last year. Musgrave is going to be a stud. Their production should be better in 2024.
GB drafted two TEs last year. Musgrave from Oregon State in the 2nd round and Tucker Kraft from S Dakota St in the third round. It's a very young group that will definitely develop well in that system.

Bingo.

At this point - I’d be satisfied seeing my Uncle Dave take over as OC. We know where the bar is set - as low as it can be without touching the floor… It can’t be worse. Meaning - it can’t be worse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT