ADVERTISEMENT

After following updates & insights the last few weeks…

cmhawks99

HR Legend
Jul 23, 2002
I think we have a shot on the interior of the line. I was pretty critical of Logan Jones. Obviously, my arch-enemies on here don’t necessarily know this. because I for one think displaying constant negativity on social media is extremely unproductive if not idiotic.

But the truth is, he was terrible, and I don’t necessarily agree, he got much better. But I did not put enough appreciation into the thought that mentally it would’ve been a bitch, especially playing with a lot of poor performers around you!

There is a high likelihood. If he gets the snap thing figured out, he will be much improved, and I also agree with others that we have two or three or four bodies that most likely can turn into above average guards.

I’m still pretty concerned about the tackles, but the interior guard play & a decisive mobile quarterback, will help that a lot.

I believe we hav 3 outstanding Backs. I believe we have 4 reliable TEs with 2 being terrific.

I’m not as upset about WR as some, but I’m also convinced Vines is the one we’ve been waiting for & Nico will have a better year.

It’s ALL about OL and better QB play! But I don’t see any reason to just assume it won’t get better.

I mean hell, many of you fellas on here are convinced getting rid of Kirk Ferentz will make our team better and that’s much less likely than our OL getting better next year!! Statistically speaking…

I know deep perspective isn’t overly common in the world anymore, but fixing one unit vs starting over seems much more pragmatic…..

I know, I know….crazy talk!!!

Last edited:
I think we have a shot on the interior of the line. I was pretty critical of Logan Jones. Obviously, my arch-enemies on here don’t necessarily know this. because I for one think displaying constant negativity on social media is extremely unproductive if not idiotic.

But the truth is, he was terrible, and I don’t necessarily agree, he got much better. But I did not put enough appreciation into the thought that mentally it would’ve been a bitch, especially playing with a lot of poor performers around you!

There is a high likelihood. If he gets the snap thing figured out, he will be much improved, and I also agree with others that we have two or three or four bodies that most likely can turn into above average guards.

I’m still pretty concerned about the tackles, but the interior guard play & a decisive mobile quarterback, will help that a lot.

I believe we hav 3 outstanding Backs. I believe we have 4 reliable TEs with 2 being terrific.

I’m not as upset about WR as some, but I’m also convinced Vines is the one we’ve been waiting for & Nico will have a better year.

It’s ALL about OL and better QB play! But I don’t see any reason to just assume it won’t get better.

I mean hell, many of you fellas on here are convinced getting rid of Kirk Ferentz will make our team better and that’s much less likely than our OL getting better next year!! Statistically speaking…

I know deep perspective isn’t overly common in the world anymore, but fixing one unit vs starting over seems much more pragmatic…..

Yawwwwn.

Oh, I’m sorry. Thank you, Mr. Deep Perspective.

Yawwwwn.

Oh, I’m sorry. Thank you, Mr. Deep Perspective.

I do get a kick out of you guys and your inability to understand things. If you had a deeper perspective, and or a national perspective, you’d realized your complaints and whining, aren’t unique, and there are many many teams or instances we could compare them to in which case you would probably be less of a complainer, but you do you!!

Last edited:
Who are the 4 reliable TE's? Lachey, All, and then......?

Vines has never been healthy for more than a couple of weeks, why will this year be different?

Nico is a really good #3 WR, which doesn't help if we don't have a #1 or #2.

No proof that the OL will be significantly better, we are all just hoping they will be.

QB play cannot be any worse.

RB's look very promising and if OL develops, QB play/passing game is at a minimum league avg, then running game should finally be a strength for us

Vines has never been healthy for more than a couple of weeks, why will this year be different?

No proof that the OL will be significantly better, we are all just hoping they will be.

RB's look very promising and if OL develops, QB play/passing game is at a minimum league avg, then running game should finally be a strength for us

Stillanos and Ostrenga!

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Stillanos and Ostrenga!
Bottom line is the comment “we will have 4 reliable TEs” is non-sense at this juncture and is only stated for the sake of positivity.

A. Ostrenga had ONE reception. One. Nobody has a clue, at this point, whether or not he’ll be a “reliable tight end.”

Show us on the field so we can rightfully reach these conclusions.

Bottom line is the comment “we will have 4 reliable TEs” is non-sense at this juncture and is only stated for the sake of positivity.

A. Ostrenga had ONE reception. One. Nobody has a clue, at this point, whether or not he’ll be a “reliable tight end.”

Show us on the field so we can rightfully reach these conclusions.

No I’d prefer you stay just the way you are… we have to establish the negative end, so we have a frame of reference!

And if you care to wager, I predict we see 3 and 4 TE sets!

I think we see All and Lachey a lot. Anderson, Vines, snd Nico at wr and rumor that i heard is Parker's injury isn't actually serious. Heard he is a monster in the weight room and showed real ability before getting hurt. I was under the impression that Feth was going to be the starting center giving Jones as depth and time to learn the calls and work on his craft.

Reactions: NevadaHawk and Torg
AND they’ll contribute….if we didn’t have 4 TEs, they wouldn’t play 4 TE sets….doh!
Spencer played almost every game over 3 years - yet he wasn’t reliable to do anything good for his team.

Just because you play, doesn’t mean…you know what I’m getting at…

Spencer played almost every game over 3 years - yet he wasn’t reliable to do anything good for his team.

Just because you play, doesn’t mean…you know what I’m getting at…

The difference of course being Spencer was sadly our best QB, we don’t have to play Stillanos at all if he isn’t any good?!

I think we see All and Lachey a lot. Anderson, Vines, snd Nico at wr and rumor that i heard is Parker's injury isn't actually serious. Heard he is a monster in the weight room and showed real ability before getting hurt. I was under the impression that Feth was going to be the starting center giving Jones as depth and time to learn the calls and work on his craft.
Hearing All is looking very good in practice.

Reactions: Torg and cmhawks99
I do get a kick out of you guys and your inability to understand things. If you had a deeper perspective, and or a national perspective, you’d realized your complaints and whining, aren’t unique, and there are many many teams or instances we could compare them to in which case you would probably be less of a complainer, but you do you!!

There’s my favorite poster…we’re u been @littlez pulling wings off flies?

• Haha
Reactions: NevadaHawk

Why can’t you just post something without being so worried what your so called “arch enemies “ think? Embrace it. You be you. 😏

At least one of the tackles will be more than fine. Richman is an NFL player.
I don't get the fascination with Richman. When I re-watched games, his play was not impressive.. A decent run blocker, he tends to get smoked on pass plays. He did make honorable menton on the coaches poll though. He is an UDFA unless he makes significant improvement IMO.

I share your concerns about the play of the tackles on the OL. We need significant improvement at those two positions to take a step forward on the offensive side of the ball. I'm trying to be optimistic that we can be better. We will know soon enough if that improvement is there.

Last edited:
You will never persuade the Never Ferentz Bitter Enders. They usually lack any perspective, national or otherwise, except a bizarre desire to complain. They certainly fail to answer three fundamental questions:

1. Why wouldn't Iowa's lack of blue blood status in the last 60 years, limited population and the corresponding lack of mega donors, small school size (and the resulting relatively smaller almuni pool resulting in fewer and smaller donors), lower media profile, an unwillingness to make as many athletic waivers available as other Big Ten schools and a kind of zero tolerance for bad citizenship impose limitations on Iowa's ability to have the 10+ win division title like seasons every season, oh and score 40 a game doing it?

2. Why is Iowa behind only tOSU, Michigan, Sparty, the Pedos and Bucky in Big Ten wins and ahead of schools that have advantages over Iowa in all or virtually all of the foregoing major determinants of football success. Why aren't we Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska (now), Purdue, Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers? Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz, of course.

3. Why should we gamble the success we have on more success, in light of the real world factors working against such success and the statistical probability that most coaching changes, except at BBs, fail. Even Sparty and Bucky, both of whom have enormous advantages over Iowa in almost every category except the lousy northern weather in November, have had bumps lately. Worth noting, I think Iowa has had a better record than Sparty 4 of the last 5 seasons and I think maybe 3 of the last 5 with Bucky and the Pedos.

I think the Bitter Enders have been looking for horseshit since their parents bought them ponies for Christmas as children.

You will never persuade the Never Ferentz Bitter Enders. They usually lack any perspective, national or otherwise, except a bizarre desire to complain. They certainly fail to answer three fundamental questions:

1. Why wouldn't Iowa's lack of blue blood status in the last 60 years, limited population and the corresponding lack of mega donors, small school size (and the resulting relatively smaller almuni pool resulting in fewer and smaller donors), lower media profile, an unwillingness to make as many athletic waivers available as other Big Ten schools and a kind of zero tolerance for bad citizenship impose limitations on Iowa's ability to have the 10+ win division title like seasons every season, oh and score 40 a game doing it?

2. Why is Iowa behind only tOSU, Michigan, Sparty, the Pedos and Bucky in Big Ten wins and ahead of schools that have advantages over Iowa in all or virtually all of the foregoing major determinants of football success. Why aren't we Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska (now), Purdue, Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers? Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz, of course.

3. Why should we gamble the success we have on more success, in light of the real world factors working against such success and the statistical probability that most coaching changes, except at BBs, fail. Even Sparty and Bucky, both of whom have enormous advantages over Iowa in almost every category except the lousy northern weather in November, have had bumps lately. Worth noting, I think Iowa has had a better record than Sparty 4 of the last 5 seasons and I think maybe 3 of the last 5 with Bucky and the Pedos.

I think the Bitter Enders have been looking for horseshit since their parents bought them ponies for Christmas as children.

Oh Deplorable, you’ve done it now…guys like @coorsoriginal02 & @littlez dont like that perspective word! They think they’re full of perspective!

Oh Deplorable, you’ve done it now…guys like @coorsoriginal02 & @littlez dont like that perspective word! They think they’re full of perspective!
Why don’t you start another introspective thread that really gets the blood flowing around here? And I’ve never been leading or even on the fire Ferentz bandwagon. Now put your little cheerleader skirt back on and tell everyone how smart you are.

Why don’t you start another introspective thread that really gets the blood flowing around here? And I’ve never been leading or even on the fire Ferentz bandwagon. Now put your little cheerleader skirt back on and tell everyone how smart you are.

Solid…

Reactions: littlez

Lachey and All will be monsters. Ostrenga (sp?) is reported to be outstanding, but with Sam, Luke and Eric all in front of him he hasn't had a chance to show much. Vines has just been hurt once-in a young career. He played in the last five games. Would have probably had around a fifty yard TD. I remember a play in a late season win so it must have been Minnesota, but Vines beat his guy like a snare came completely open behind the defense, and Spencer never took his eyes off doubled Sam to even peek around the field for a possibly wide open receiver.

I think Vines will be 1, Anderson 2, Ragaini 3 and 1 of the freshmen as 4. Probably should be Bostick but he might just be too small and fragile for BCS level football. This does not account for anybody we pick up in Portal 23...the Sequel.

Players usually improve through experience. Not always. There are many pretty sound reasons to think the line will be better. Last year was a RS Fr center with no Oline experience; a RS fr G (Stephens) seeing his first real time. Stephens noticeably improved. We have one good tackle that has improved every season. The other guard (Colby) played well (he and Richman were the bright spots) when back at guard. Like QB the center play can't be worse and we have a much bigger and more experienced center coming in 6 weeks. Tackle remains a question. If what I've heard/seen/read is true Dotzler will probably move into a starting tackle position during summer camp or during the season if Parker can't come back or isn't an improvement.

Cade and Joe are huge improvements at QB and that alone makes the offense much better by itself. You're right, it couldn't get worse.

Lachey and All will be monsters. Ostrenga (sp?) is reported to be outstanding, but with Sam, Luke and Eric all in front of him he hasn't had a chance to show much. Vines has just been hurt once-in a young career. He played in the last five games. Would have probably had around a fifty yard TD. I remember a play in a late season win so it must have been Minnesota, but Vines beat his guy like a snare came completely open behind the defense, and Spencer never took his eyes off doubled Sam to even peek around the field for a possibly wide open receiver.

I think Vines will be 1, Anderson 2, Ragaini 3 and 1 of the freshmen as 4. Probably should be Bostick but he might just be too small and fragile for BCS level football. This does not account for anybody we pick up in Portal 23...the Sequel.

Players usually improve through experience. Not always. There are many pretty sound reasons to think the line will be better. Last year was a RS Fr center with no Oline experience; a RS fr G (Stephens) seeing his first real time. Stephens noticeably improved. We have one good tackle that has improved every season. The other guard (Colby) played well (he and Richman were the bright spots) when back at guard. Like QB the center play can't be worse and we have a much bigger and more experienced center coming in 6 weeks. Tackle remains a question. If what I've heard/seen/read is true Dotzler will probably move into a starting tackle position during summer camp or during the season if Parker can't come back or isn't an improvement.

Cade and Joe are huge improvements at QB and that alone makes the offense much better by itself. You're right, it couldn't get worse.
Good stuff brother!!

Iowa did have a few year window there back in the 1980s where Iowa was kind of a national media darling as they new beauty queen with a John Wayne type Texas born coach.

In terms of getting better, I would say without a doubt any player can continue to improve, but at some point if everyone is training at or above that level of effort a player reaches a ceiling based on their genetics and God given ability. I always refer back to Dan Gable's book. You read that and you realize how much harder he was training than any other wrestler out there. Just his dedication and commitment was incredible.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT