ADVERTISEMENT

The cynical and optimistic approach to Deacon Hill hitting the portal…

Damn dude, I usually agree with you on stuff but it’s just sports lol it’s not that serious

This is true….. i’ll confess something to you. I absolutely hate being around negative shitty people. There are ways to express your displeasure without being a prick and maybe you’re different than me but if I hang around people that every time I’m around them, they complain about the same shit I either avoid them like the plague, or tell them how shitty their attitude is politics, life, sports, kids, etc….

It’s not about the football team or the coaches quite frankly, they’re grown men, I just believe people out to be accountable for their actions…

PS I do appreciate your initial words and I have no problem with you calling me out, I respect your opinion… I just get tired of bitchy people… So I bitch at them lol….

These other guys seem to think them giving me shit is bothersome to me, people like you who I respect yes, I will listen to.

These other guys who literally can’t be on the board without throwing shade to some coach or player they’re not worthy of respect

• Haha
Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
i liked him. thought it was great to see the big guy. my guess is they are bringing in some young studs. he sees writing on the wall

Reactions: desihawk
Some…..I’ve come to the conclusion, we have some of the dumbest, nastiest, most unappreciative fans of a winning football program in history…

Fvck if nothing else people should be happy as hell that the cosmos has allowed us to win so many football games with what is apparently the worst head coach in division one lol

This board is a petri dish for the human stain.
The ridiculously bad B1G west has had a lot to do with that. Let’s see if you’re singing the same tune when the likes of Oregon, USC, and Washington hit the league . Iowas been lucky to have been shielded by playing in a at best mediocre division. We’ve all seen what happens when they go up against actual good teams and it’s not pretty as I’m sure you’re aware?

This is true….. i’ll confess something to you. I absolutely hate being around negative shitty people. There are ways to express your displeasure without being a prick and maybe you’re different than me but if I hang around people that every time I’m around them, they complain about the same shit I either avoid them like the plague, or tell them how shitty their attitude is politics, life, sports, kids, etc….

It’s not about the football team or the coaches quite frankly, they’re grown men, I just believe people out to be accountable for their actions…

PS I do appreciate your initial words and I have no problem with you calling me out, I respect your opinion… I just get tired of bitchy people… So I bitch at them lol….

These other guys seem to think them giving me shit is bothersome to me, people like you who I respect yes, I will listen to.

These other guys who literally can’t be on the board without throwing shade to some coach or player they’re not worthy of respect
...and yet you spend so much time on a message board that is renowned for it's criticism.

If it were truly that bad here and have such a negative impact on an individual, I would stay away.

Seems either a bit hypocritical or masochistic.

FWIW, I don't think anything anyone says here is worth getting all wound up about. No offense to anyone here.

the first clue that KF knew nothing about qb evaluation is when he wanted to start worm killer christiansen over stanzi

Reactions: peacehawk
The ridiculously bad B1G west has had a lot to do with that. Let’s see if you’re singing the same tune when the likes of Oregon, USC, and Washington hit the league . Iowas been lucky to have been shielded by playing in a at best mediocre division. We’ve all seen what happens when they go up against actual good teams and it’s not pretty as I’m sure you’re aware?

Whoa…. Been waiting for one of you “schedule guys” to get back in, it’s funny. I’ve heard for two or three years about how much trouble we’re going to be in in 2024 and suddenly I’ve seen people backing off of that and suggesting we might be favored 11 of 12 games……

😂😂😂😂 what happened? Apparently everybody realized that strength of schedule is extremely fluid and teams that were great last year aren’t necessarily always great the next year or the year after or the year after LOL…

Those of us that have actually watched more teams than Iowa play and have red and followed college football for 50 years. No that some years the schedule will be tough and some years it won’t….

Funny how that works, eh?

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
The Budster brought Hill on board and Kirk co-signed that bullshit. That’s obviously the negative side of things.

So, what’s the takeaway here? Is Tim Lester actually in charge of the Iowa offense? If reports are true that Kirk is working with the OL, is this now really a competent OC’s show? Can we safely assume after spring ball Lester told Kirk that Deacon has to go then had a heart to heart with Deacon and told him to hit the road?

The cynical side is obviously, again, how ****ing clueless is Kirk when it comes to quarterbacks and offense? Seriously.

The optimistic side is it seems we finally have a competent OC committed to changing shit that needs changed. Hopefully, the Budster will be on the chopping block next and a real receiver coach gets brought in.

I’m really warming up to Tim Lester.
Yes, this is cynical and optimistic.

The Hawks have had a bad run of QB's - but it's really just Petras and Hill under center. Other QB's on the roster are guilty of not being able to beat out those two, IMO, not just that Petras and Hill were somehow the class favorites.

In other words, I believe the problem has been recruiting & development as much as anything - not favoritism or simply making poor choices as to who gets the ball on Saturday. Add poor line play and it was a tough mountain to climb.

The Hawks need to recruit better. Period. Then, they need someone to develop schemes, coach the OL, and be a QB whisperer. Maybe that guy is Lester.

KF's screw up (besides hiring his son) is not the choices he makes for QB on Saturday - it's on signing day and every day after that leading up to Saturday.

The cynical and pessimistic view is this - that the coaches are all in deep despair because DH decided to leave. o_O

• Love
Reactions: cmhawks99
Let’s look at this….what actually is my opinion. I’ll beat you dollars to donuts you have no clue.

If you think I believe we have the best coach ever, and we have performed at our highest level then……

No, I think I’m just gonna wait to see what you say….

See another problem with this message board is, and it’s extremely funny when you think about it because I get accused of this all the time… But they read a snapshot and they immediately decide that you are just “this”

And I have plenty of people on here that are my detractors that have seen me say probably 500 times Brian needs to go, our offense blows, and Kirk needs to let the offense be the offense….

So the floor is yours what exactly is my “wrong opinion”?
You posted a rant about how anyone with an opinion that doesn't match yours is any number of childish names you mentioned. You removed any possibility of a dialog that might sway you or your counterpart. I asked if you have ever considered the possibility that you are wrong about some things, entirely due to your post. I have no idea what your opinions are, but you're welcome to them, whether I agree or not. As far as KF, I have been in favor of his departure for longer than most, even though it scares the shit out of me. I'm less afraid of Beth as the AD, but most programs don't keep chugging along with success unless they have recruiting at the level of the bluest of the blue bloods. Cheers.

The Hawks have had a bad run of QB's - but it's really just Petras and Hill under center. Other QB's on the roster are guilty of not being able to beat out those two, IMO, not just that Petras and Hill were somehow the class favorites.

In other words, I believe the problem has been recruiting & development as much as anything - not favoritism or simply making poor choices as to who gets the ball on Saturday. Add poor line play and it was a tough mountain to climb.

The Hawks need to recruit better. Period. Then, they need someone to develop schemes, coach the OL, and be a QB whisperer. Maybe that guy is Lester.

KF's screw up (besides hiring his son) is not the choices he makes for QB on Saturday - it's on signing day and every day after that leading up to Saturday.

The cynical and pessimistic view is this - that the coaches are all in deep despair because DH decided to leave. o_O
I can agree somewhat with your overall point.

With that said, Spencer Petras was ranked fairly high as was Deuce Hogan. I think even Marco Lainez was a 4-star at one point. Yes, you never know for sure with rankings, but I don’t think the answer is every single one of those guys was just absolutely lousy in their own right. It’s just not logical.

I do think Kirk has been the biggest impediment to the offense. Hiring and sticking with Tommy Boy only added to that, especially the latter. If Kirk had retired after last season, Brian Ferentz would be what’s remembered to everyone not in Iowa, with plenty of Iowans reducing his legacy to that as well. It was that ****ing bad.

I don’t know how to assess Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Joey Labas, Marco Lainez, or even Cade McNamara because of how much of a joke Brian’s offense was. The fact Brian was responsible for coaching each of them—a position he should have never had—only muddies the waters even more. In short, the whole thing was a cluster **** of horrendous coaching, minimal surrounding talent, poor OL play, and offensive schemes that were as outdated as VCRs. So, yes, it’s almost impossible to say for sure just how bad any of those guys actually are talent-wise with all things considered.

None of that is applicable to Deacon Hill. He is literally the worst quarterback I have ever seen play D1 P5 football. AINEC. The fact Ferentz continued to put him out there every Saturday, as if nothing was wrong and everything was completely normal, is evidence of a guy who is either so arrogant and stubborn that he refuses to concede error or is really that ****ing clueless. There is no in between. If given the same opportunity as Hill was given, there is no way Labas or Lainez would have been as bad as what we saw each Saturday with Hill. There’s no way.

And, yes, that is on Kirk.

You posted a rant about how anyone with an opinion that doesn't match yours is any number of childish names you mentioned. You removed any possibility of a dialog that might sway you or your counterpart. I asked if you have ever considered the possibility that you are wrong about some things, entirely due to your post. I have no idea what your opinions are, but you're welcome to them, whether I agree or not. As far as KF, I have been in favor of his departure for longer than most, even though it scares the shit out of me. I'm less afraid of Beth as the AD, but most programs don't keep chugging along with success unless they have recruiting at the level of the bluest of the blue bloods. Cheers.

Link to that… I’ll wait for it.

As for KF, it’s inevitable and I’m not afraid of it. We’ve had the best 10 year run in history. We are due for a downturn, and we have plenty of fans that I will take exquisite pleasure in seeing them wallow in what they wished for.

And again, I’m just waiting for you to show me what I was wrong about?

You can’t of course, but I enjoy the game, what can I say 🤷‍♂️

• Haha

With that said, Spencer Petras was ranked fairly high as was Deuce Hogan. I think even Marco Lainez was a 4-star at one point. Yes, you never know for sure with rankings, but I don’t think the answer is every single one of those guys was just absolutely lousy in their own right. It’s just not logical.

I do think Kirk has been the biggest impediment to the offense. Hiring and sticking with Tommy Boy only added to that, especially the latter. If Kirk had retired after last season, Brian Ferentz would be what’s remembered to everyone not in Iowa, with plenty of Iowans reducing his legacy to that as well. It was that ****ing bad.

I don’t know how to assess Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Joey Labas, Marco Lainez, or even Cade McNamara because of how much of a joke Brian’s offense was. The fact Brian was responsible for coaching each of them—a position he should have never had—only muddies the waters even more. In short, the whole thing was a cluster **** of horrendous coaching, minimal surrounding talent, poor OL play, and offensive schemes that were as outdated as VCRs. So, yes, it’s almost impossible to say for sure just how bad any of those guys actually are talent-wise with all things considered.

None of that is applicable to Deacon Hill. He is literally the worst quarterback I have ever seen play D1 P5 football. AINEC. The fact Ferentz continued to put him out there every Saturday, as if nothing was wrong and everything was completely normal, is evidence of a guy who is either so arrogant and stubborn that he refuses to concede error or is really that ****ing clueless. There is no in between. If given the same opportunity as Hill was given, there is no way Labas or Lainez would have been as bad as what we saw each Saturday with Hill. There’s no way.

I enjoy people who make guarantees with no applicable data to back it up…

You immediately know that’s a guy you can trust and hire to run your business😳

• Haha

Clearly, we know how good the quarterbacks that have left us have done… So no matter what somebody with a head coach agenda has we know pretty definitively that our quarterback recruiting, especially in the last 5-6 years has not been very good.

Clearly, we know how good the quarterbacks that have left us have done… So no matter what somebody with a head coach agenda has we know pretty definitively that our quarterback recruiting, especially in the last 5-6 years has not been very good.
I think it is recruiting AND development. For example in Marco's case, if he had been developed by a real QB/OC he might be in pretty good shape right now relative to being a serviceable backup to Cade. In just the past 45 days he is looking better....bumpy process but the kid is an athlete and assume he has the mind to grow into the roll....just was never coached in my opinion other than "don't screw it up".

Reactions: SI_NYC
Some…..I’ve come to the conclusion, we have some of the dumbest, nastiest, most unappreciative fans of a winning football program in history…

Fvck if nothing else people should be happy as hell that the cosmos has allowed us to win so many football games with what is apparently the worst head coach in division one lol

This board is a petri dish for the human stain.
I guess you do not want the hawks to have a really good offense and win championships. You seem to be fine with beating and barely beating average teams and getting blown out a few times a year.

I guess you do not want the hawks to have a really good offense and win championships. You seem to be fine with beating and barely beating average teams and getting blown out a few times a year.

I’m a football fan and I’m not smarter than our coaches when it comes to football things.

We hired somebody to fill that job. And honestly, I don’t want any of you jackasses breathing down my neck telling me how poor I am at my job….

It’s called perspective, I’m finding as we progress as a society we become more hypocritical by the day.

We all think we know better than the person hired to do the job.

When a coach consistently loses games, he has to go. History is littered with good programs tanking because of impetuous fans wanting a good coach fired🤷‍♂️

It’s pretty much as simple as that for me!

If we have to go through five years of shit records, just to appease some of you guys, I am going to be pissed, and I’ll be here every day, reminding people.

Being mad as hell and calling people out doesn’t make you a good steward of your football fandom.

You won't get an argument from me on this and with the opening of the NIL floodgates it's even more true. It just isn't how Iowa has operated in the past.
Not many things in D1 athletics are how they used to be. Glad to see there’s movement to the new realities we’re competing in! Hopeful on this being just the beginning!!

I’m a football fan and I’m not smarter than our coaches when it comes to football things.

We hired somebody to fill that job. And honestly, I don’t want any of you jackasses breathing down my neck telling me how poor I am at my job….

It’s called perspective, I’m finding as we progress as a society we become more hypocritical by the day.

We all think we know better than the person hired to do the job.

When a coach consistently loses games, he has to go. History is littered with good programs tanking because of impetuous fans wanting a good coach fired🤷‍♂️

It’s pretty much as simple as that for me!

If we have to go through five years of shit records, just to appease some of you guys, I am going to be pissed, and I’ll be here every day, reminding people.

Being mad as hell and calling people out doesn’t make you a good steward of your football fandom.
If we go thru five years of shit records it won’t have anything to do with anyone on this message board. It will be about the head coach and recruiting. You said in an earlier post that we were due for a down turn because the success of the last ten years, like we were statistically due. You are trying to hedge your arguments if there is a down turn. Like it won’t have anything to due with a tougher schedule, poor recruiting offensively, poor Qb evaluations, poor offensive hiring decisions and a total destruction of our offense . Which all of these things are making it even tougher to recruit offensively. This all falls on the shoulders of the head man not anyone posting on this site.

I don’t know how to assess Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Joey Labas, Marco Lainez, or even Cade McNamara because of how much of a joke Brian’s offense was. The fact Brian was responsible for coaching each of them—aFWI position he should have never had—only muddies the waters even more. In short, the whole thing was a cluster **** of horrendous coaching, minimal surrounding talent, poor OL play, and offensive schemes that were as outdated as VCRs. So, yes, it’s almost impossible to say for sure just how bad any of those guys actually are talent-wise with all things considered.

FWIW, it seems Joey Labas was too stoned & lackadaisical in his approach to deserve playing time. Marco was too green & they wanted to keep his redshirt. And Deacon starting, kept the team in the game where we won. Yes, in spite of the offense.... the defense & punting is what actually kept us in the games & won games for us. But I digress...

wikihow_man_pointing_mirror.jpg

It’s borderline criminal how Ferentz has handicapped his teams with absolutely unexplainable decisions regarding the QB position. If every day low information fans can make the obvious assessment of QB play, what the fvck is Kirks excuse all these years? It’s truly mystifying to me.

He simply does not value the skills that make a good QB.

Stanley was a pretty good QB but was he accurate? Anyone remember the overthrow on fake punt over the head of Hockenson in Happy Valley? Inexplicable.

50 guys on the team could make that throw. It wasn’t a difficult throw.

Never valued accuracy.
Never valued mobility.

What does he value?

“Big Arm”
“Runs play that is told”
“Leadership qualities”
“Good kid”

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes

Stanley was a pretty good QB but was he accurate? Anyone remember the overthrow on fake punt over the head of Hockenson in Happy Valley? Inexplicable.

Never valued accuracy.
Never valued mobility.

What does he value?

“Big Arm”
“Runs play that is told”
“Leadership qualities”
“Good kid”
Or the interception near the goal line on first down when no one knew what play was being called.

You say the Hawks need to recruit better. If you can find a sugar daddy with about $15,000,000 we could become one of the top blue bloods. Until then you'll have to except the 8-10 win seasons....Go find this person. You have the right to bitch but it won't change the records.

So what your saying is this….. we can’t count our current record because the schedule didn’t live up to your standards?

I’m assuming you’re also saying that we should revisit everyone’s schedule and see if it was “good enough” for the bitchy Iowa fan board?

I’m extrapolating a little bit here, but I’m also going to assume that any kid that actually believes KF’s bullshit and continues to sign on we would have to naturally assume is dumb right…?

And since hypothesizing, we are also going to need to assume that all the people that have said glowing things about Kirk F and the Iowa culture are either liars and complicit in his failings or literally the dumbest human beings alive?

Here’s where the rubber hits the highway…

This Kirk Ferentz, the sneaky, lowlife who used nepotism to keep his son employed and who is so stupid and so out of touch, it’s shocking he even coaches at all, but he has somehow won a lot of games.

This dumb ass coach somehow has been able to trick 100+ football players a year or rather most of them into thinking they have a hell of a program and they have a great culture and he is a trustable coach….

I mean, honestly, can you imagine how ****ing stupid some of these kids must be?

Not to mention, Phil Parker, and these other coaches I mean how damn gullible Can they be to stick with this idiot….

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Boy that was fun….. I forgot I do enjoy pointing out extreme gaps in linear logic.

We can’t possibly have a good culture and a good program with a lying, sneaky, stupid, completely out of touch Coach….

It’s pretty much impossible 🤷‍♂️
Thats taking it to the extreme and no one is saying Kirk isn’t a good CEO of the program. He is. They are saying he’s a poor offensive minded coach and let his love for his son, cloud his judgement for the correct moves for the offense.

Dude I honestly feel you don't read and are just ready to argue every time you log on.
Everyone and I mean everyone appreciates and enjoys winning football games but we can all see what they really are, at the same time we see how close the program is to hitting another level. That is everyones frustrations, not wins but becoming a perennial top 12 program.

What we are saying about the West is true.
If a quadriplegic across the street challenged you to a fight and you ran over and kicked ass I'd agree that you technically won the fight but you'd also have to agree with me that your win is pretty hollow and unimpressive right?
You bring up a point about how close Iowa is or could be to taking another step up to another level of success. Kinda like WI under Barry and Bret (and we should understand if Iowa did that it would be difficult to maintain)

Iowa has failed because Kirk has failed to take advantage of every chance he’s been given. In fact it parallels to his conservative coaching nature. He is so risk adverse that Iowa gets oh so close then stumbles back to this weird stage of relevant yet not serious among our peers.

2001-2004 Iowa was an elite program. We could play with anyone. Kirk assembled a great staff of young and old. Unfortunately with a staff like that the olds retired and the youngs took new jobs.

Recruiting was up but the success on the field took a dip between 2005-2007

Kirk found a little magic with 2008-2010….yet we can all point to that run as what ifs. Stanzi plays more in 2008….doesnt get hurt in 2009….kirk doesn’t play for OT…..and whatever happened in 2010 to lose out on so many close games.

2011-now has been lots of smoke and mirrors. Some nice wins but loads of embarrassing losses (and even embarrassing in some of the victories)

Iowa was gifted with the west division yet couldn’t take advantage how many times with horrible losses that kept us out ? Then we make it a few times and get completely spanked by the other side.

I have no confidence in Kirk ever getting Iowa above this weird realm of 7-10 wins yet completely hallow of any significance….outside of fans saying this is Iowa we should be grateful for any win!!!!!

The offense could be better over the next season or two but do we really trust Kirk to get us over the hump ?

Kirk telling us that limiting mistakes and turnovers is key, then sending out a guy who did the opposite was really tough to take. He also said DH gave us the best chance to win

And maybe that was 100% true. That means the other QBs were so bad that they shouldn’t even deserve to be playing football. That’s how bad Hill was on game day. The backups must not have been able to take a snap without causing mass chaos to the team

Never valued accuracy.
Never valued mobility.

What does he value?

“Big Arm”
“Runs play that is told”
“Leadership qualities”
“Good kid”
Stanley was a slightly better version of Petras. Mostly due to his size.

You bring up a point about how close Iowa is or could be to taking another step up to another level of success. Kinda like WI under Barry and Bret (and we should understand if Iowa did that it would be difficult to maintain)

Iowa has failed because Kirk has failed to take advantage of every chance he’s been given. In fact it parallels to his conservative coaching nature. He is so risk adverse that Iowa gets oh so close then stumbles back to this weird stage of relevant yet not serious among our peers.

2001-2004 Iowa was an elite program. We could play with anyone. Kirk assembled a great staff of young and old. Unfortunately with a staff like that the olds retired and the youngs took new jobs.

Recruiting was up but the success on the field took a dip between 2005-2007

Kirk found a little magic with 2008-2010….yet we can all point to that run as what ifs. Stanzi plays more in 2008….doesnt get hurt in 2009….kirk doesn’t play for OT…..and whatever happened in 2010 to lose out on so many close games.

2011-now has been lots of smoke and mirrors. Some nice wins but loads of embarrassing losses (and even embarrassing in some of the victories)

Iowa was gifted with the west division yet couldn’t take advantage how many times with horrible losses that kept us out ? Then we make it a few times and get completely spanked by the other side.

I have no confidence in Kirk ever getting Iowa above this weird realm of 7-10 wins yet completely hallow of any significance….outside of fans saying this is Iowa we should be grateful for any win!!!!!

The offense could be better over the next season or two but do we really trust Kirk to get us over the hump ?

“7-10 wins yet completely hallow of any significance”. 93-0 shows just how insignificant those wins, that some want to pound their chests over, actually were.

Reactions: Iron Doc

Never valued accuracy.
Never valued mobility.

What does he value?

“Big Arm”
“Runs play that is told”
“Leadership qualities”
“Good kid”
Yeah, there was a time when you could have added "Protect the ball," but that went "bye-bye" when KF decided to go all-in on the Hill boy. Next time KF says something to the effect of "we need players who will limit turnovers," he simply can't be taken seriously.

Thats taking it to the extreme and no one is saying Kirk isn’t a good CEO of the program. He is. They are saying he’s a poor offensive minded coach and let his love for his son, cloud his judgement for the correct moves for the offense.
Shhh! You're ruining his shtick. He loves using hyperbole to insult large portions of the fan base. Makes him feel better about his lousy life I'm thinking.

Link to that… I’ll wait for it.

As for KF, it’s inevitable and I’m not afraid of it. We’ve had the best 10 year run in history. We are due for a downturn, and we have plenty of fans that I will take exquisite pleasure in seeing them wallow in what they wished for.

And again, I’m just waiting for you to show me what I was wrong about?

You can’t of course, but I enjoy the game, what can I say 🤷‍♂️
You clearly did not read what I wrote. Give it another read, but this time slow down and actually read what I wrote, not what you wanted it to say.

For reference, here is the quote I initially responded to in it's entirety:

"Some…..I’ve come to the conclusion, we have some of the dumbest, nastiest, most unappreciative fans of a winning football program in history…

This board is a petri dish for the human stain."

Last edited:
Kirk telling us that limiting mistakes and turnovers is key, then sending out a guy who did the opposite was really tough to take. He also said DH gave us the best chance to win

And maybe that was 100% true. That means the other QBs were so bad that they shouldn’t even deserve to be playing football. That’s how bad Hill was on game day. The backups must not have been able to take a snap without causing mass chaos to the team
💯

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT