ADVERTISEMENT

After KF retires. The succession plan

icu81222

HB All-American
Dec 4, 2008
A year ago, I may not have been as excited about this option but I can now see it and think it would be a good move.

Davis retires in 2 years (I think next year has the chance to be really good again so no need to mess with cohesion.)and Brian Ferentz takes over as OC. A few yrs down the road, KF retires and Brian steps in as the new HC.

Does Brian have the organizational skills to be a CEO? The ability to manage a staff and bring in quality assistants?

I don't know for sure but he has been around it his whole life and worked under some excellent mentors. I like his chances.

Maybe KF even stays on in an advisory role. So long as he isn't in charge of clock mgmt, anything would be fine. But I don't think KF would do that. He would disappear from the public eye and would probably just stay out of it entirely. Allowing Brian to not have that distraction.

Bret Bielema? Do not want. No way. No how.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Good question. I think it depends on the next 3 to 4 years. Maybe Brain develops or someone on the staff does. I like your thinking though. This is the ideal situation for me, as a fan. We need someone who will stay loyal to the program.

I agree to a point, JR. I think Brian is everything people want from Stoops' and Bielema, someone that can recruit and has a grasp of the game. I think Brian would be a great head coach for Iowa, but I don't know if he'd take the job right away or if another hc would come in and he'd be OC.

I don't want Brian Ferentz as Iowa's head coach. Not unless he proves himself as a head coach somewhere else first.

Nothing against Brian, but he should not get the job because of his last name. How many sons have taken over for a successful father in major college football, and been successful themselves?

I am ok with the nepotism, because of the loyalty factor. We don't need a guy making a name for himself here and jumping ship. That opens us up to a very dangerous game of coaching roulette. And that can kill a program.

A few yrs down the road, KF retires and Brian steps in as the new HC.

Does Brian have the organizational skills to be a CEO? The ability to manage a staff and bring in quality assistants?

As long as KF cares and has the desire to win and coaches with the mentality to win and delegates power to assistant coaches, Brian will learn everything needed to coach and manage a major college team. KF is here for 5 more years and if Brian is ready to take over then let him. If he's not then as long as KF keeps doing all the above mentioned things he could stay on for 2, 3, 4 years after the current contract until Brian is ready. If this is the plan, it makes sense and makes for a smooth transition. When the time comes can you say you are going to retire in say 3 years, start the job application process then announce the new coach and have a transition period of two years so recruits know they are coming into play for KF to start and then BF?

The task of replacing Kirk Ferentz will eventually be in the
hands of the Iowa Athletic Director. So the real question is:
"Who will be the AD, when Ferentz retires?" Barta or ?

Reactions: Mohawkeye
The task of replacing Kirk Ferentz will eventually be in the
hands of the Iowa Athletic Director. So the real question is:
"Who will be the AD, when Ferentz retires?" Barta or ?

I was a big Barta hater, due to the extension given to KF, but he has grown on me. He is doing an excellent job with the major sports. How much of that is a credit to him, unsure. But between Baseball, Football, Basketball, and Wrestling, we are a good AD.

If BF isn't the OC here in the near future, he will be one somewhere else.

Well. if Brian Ferentz does end up the head coach at Iowa in 3-4 yrs then he can hire his buddy Bill O'Brien as his OC. Doubtful that O'Brien will be coaching at Houston another 3 -4 yrs.

A year ago, I may not have been as excited about this option but I can now see it and think it would be a good move.

Davis retires in 2 years (I think next year has the chance to be really good again so no need to mess with cohesion.)and Brian Ferentz takes over as OC. A few yrs down the road, KF retires and Brian steps in as the new HC.

I don't know for sure but he has been around it his whole life and worked under some excellent mentors. I like his chances.

Maybe KF even stays on in an advisory role. So long as he isn't in charge of clock mgmt, anything would be fine. But I don't think KF would do that. He would disappear from the public eye and would probably just stay out of it entirely. Allowing Brian to not have that distraction.

I said BF this summer and almost started a riot, I will stick to my opinion and say that yes BF should be next OC in preperation for him to be our next head coach. Born and raised in Iowa and with Iowa football, played HS ball locally, played for Iowa, had a cup of coffee in the league, and was working his way up the best organization in the NFL before WANTING to come back to Iowa. He will be a hell of a coach and I would like to see him on our sideline and not another

Honestly who cares about nepotism if you are able to get results?

If BF demonstrates he can take the reins I am all for it. He's a former player for us and is young. We would be nuts not to give him a shot. If not we are out searching for the next young, up and comer when we had one right in our laps.

I have always liked BF because he has a more aggressive personality and approach than KF. He's not afraid to speak his mind. I thought he would not be a possibility because of the lack luster results KF has produced in the last 5 years. With this year's run, BF is now becomes a viable and deserving option for the future and I am all for it. What I also like about him is he would bring continuity to who we are now. Someone unknown is an unknown.

Reactions: hawkit3113
If Iowa has another good year next season and the recruiting benefits from back to back
good results, then it could be time for Brian to try the offensive coordinator job. At that point the idea of eventually keeping it in the family makes sense from a recuiting continuity factor.

Everything is still dependant on performance. We do know that Kirk has gotten off the hot seat and very likely his leaving will be when he's ready. I don't think he'll pull a "head ballcoach" move.

The only way I would be on board with hiring Brian as a HC is if he proves to be a successful OC for Iowa. I would also like to see him recruit as an OC. If he can balance recruiting and being the OC here, then I would say he can be successful as a HC.

Some things that I would look for in a successful OC:

1) Scoring offense. Not so much yardage, but scoring. Averaging in the low to mid 30's a game at Iowa is fairly successful.

2) Does he have an offensive philosophy? Is he able to step outside that philosophy when he needs to. People bashed Greg Davis last year against Maryland. IMO, it was the right call to go pass heavy and score. The offense was keeping Iowa in that game last year because the defense couldn't stop Maryland at all. Davis realized this and stepped outside Iowa's offensive philosophy.

If Brian can do these things, I would agree that he has been successful.

One thing to think about is if Brian is hired as HC, does Phil Parker jump at the first opportunity outside of Iowa? Who does Brian hire as a replacement DC if PP leaves?

The only way I would be on board with hiring Brian as a HC is if he proves to be a successful OC for Iowa. I would also like to see him recruit as an OC. If he can balance recruiting and being the OC here, then I would say he can be successful as a HC.

1) Scoring offense. Not so much yardage, but scoring. Averaging in the low to mid 30's a game at Iowa is fairly successful.

2) Does he have an offensive philosophy? Is he able to step outside that philosophy when he needs to. People bashed Greg Davis last year against Maryland. IMO, it was the right call to go pass heavy and score. The offense was keeping Iowa in that game last year because the defense couldn't stop Maryland at all. Davis realized this and stepped outside Iowa's offensive philosophy.

One thing to think about is if Brian is hired as HC, does Phil Parker jump at the first opportunity outside of Iowa? Who does Brian hire as a replacement DC if PP leaves?

Flip em'
Brian Ferentz - head coach
Kirk Ferentz - offensive line coach - would be pretty cool on the recruiting front

Brian is not a succession plan, that was simply invented as another way to complain about KF.

I don't think there will be some brilliant, thought out plan. One of these seasons will end and he will retire, probably giving the AD a few weeks "notice" ahead of the public. Then a standard coaching search will take place and we will move on.

Personally, I don't see KF wanting to break in a "new" OC at this point, so as much as I'd like to see GD mosey along, I think KF wouldn't be much behind.

I also wonder what KF would "do" in retirement. He doesn't seem like a golfer like Hayden, doubt the cold bothers him enough to move south. He has lived in IC for 30 years, if he doesn't leave what will he do? He is relatively young for retirement.

I, for one, don't need an "Iowa" guy, all of our best coaches were from outside. Iowa and IC are enough to keep most any coach long term (and the $$ we are willing to spend)

I'm not going to pretend like I have any inside information, like so many of you do apparently, but if I were BF, I'd want to prove myself somewhere else before coming back to Iowa. I think he'd be a good candidate for an OC position at another Power 5 school, or he could go back to the NFL in some capacity. I know I'd want him to have some major OC or perhaps even HC experience before taking over this program. He's young enough that even if Iowa had someone else as HC for 10-15 years after KF, he'd still be in prime coaching age to come back if he so chose to.

I'm just glad that it looks like KF will be leaving the program in good condition, because it was not pretty this past year.

Jmo, but on a blind resume I'd have a hard time justifying Brian as OC. The "he had to learn something while at NE" doesn't cut it for me, nor does "run game coordinator". Can he coach QB's, can he watch game film (the whole thing) and get into the opposing DC's head and develop a complete game plan with the available personnel?
Or do we promote based on assumptions, then hire an offensive consultant to do those things?
Think about why Jim Reid was hired as a "defensive consultant".....want possibly the same thing at OC? If so, then who really would be the most qualified to be HC?
Not trying to cut Brian off at the knees. But if he really wants to be OC he should have been named a CO this year and worked exclusively with GD till he retires.

Not generally a fan of nepotism. I realize the idea is to not endure a rebuilding period, but its hard to avoid.

It's only nepotism if the son gets the job only because he's the son. Brian, so far, has shown himself a capable coach.

I don't want Brian Ferentz as Iowa's head coach. Not unless he proves himself as a head coach somewhere else first.

Nothing against Brian, but he should not get the job because of his last name. How many sons have taken over for a successful father in major college football, and been successful themselves?

How many have taken over and failed?

Reactions: And1Hawk

The thing is in this case, Brian came in and has had allot to do with bring success back rather than taking over in a period of prosperity.

It's wait and see at this point but I'm warming up to the idea. He's definitely his own man which is good.

Personally I'd still rather have Beilema with Brian as OC, but that's looking less likely now.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Jmo, but on a blind resume I'd have a hard time justifying Brian as OC. The "he had to learn something while at NE" doesn't cut it for me, nor does "run game coordinator". Can he coach QB's, can he watch game film (the whole thing) and get into the opposing DC's head and develop a complete game plan with the available personnel?
Or do we promote based on assumptions, then hire an offensive consultant to do those things?
Think about why Jim Reid was hired as a "defensive consultant".....want possibly the same thing at OC? If so, then who really would be the most qualified to be HC?
Not trying to cut Brian off at the knees. But if he really wants to be OC he should have been named a CO this year and worked exclusively with GD till he retires.

I agree. Those shouldn't cut it for anyone, but I think that's why GD was hired. I have no inside knowledge, but I think BF and GD are working a lot more closely now and GD has a lot he can teach BF.

If you don't like GD as an OC, then this doesn't bode well for you either. I feel differently about GD than most others. I happen to think he is a very good OC and was the scape goat at Texas. With the way Texas has been performing since GD's departure, it's not as easy as most assumed being the OC at Texas. As it turns out, GD wasn't the problem at Texas. IMO, he was the one keeping Texas afloat.

I think a move to Co-OC for BF would be smart. Then eventually moving to OC and keeping GD on as a consultant a lot like Norm was for Phil and now Reid.

I'm not sure if I'd want Brian or not but to play devils advocate on the argument he needs to be a HC look at Kirk. 2 guys Iowa wanted after Hayden was Stoops never a HC and for KF just a few years at Maine after being OL coach at Iowa then Oline in the pros. Brian similar path so far. Position coach in pros and OL coach at Iowa.

One big thing I hope for in whom ever replaces Kirk and most interested in is the staff they bring in. We saw the difference that can make. Look at how good KF's first set of coaches were, or how Hayden was successful with his assistants at Iowa. Or look at the difference from an inexperienced staff not as well connected in recruiting like Lickliter compared to Fran's staff. Huge difference in helping bball come relevant again besides the obvious of Fran being 100x the coach Lick was.

anyone know if Phil Parker has any interest in being a HC. Solid DC and I think he'd make a great HC.

How many have taken over and failed?

Not completely analogous, but I would put Bobby Bowden's sons in the "less than successful" category. If Brian gets a chance to prove himself as OC, great. But imo to promote a relatively unproven O-Line coach without looking at other candidates would be idiotic.

Reactions: sloehawk
You're stating people are promoting based on assumptions he's doing something, rather than assumptions he's not doing something, which is what you're saying. Being a run game coordinator, I assume he's a Co-OC in everything but name, probably to satisfy the non-nepotism crowd.

Brian needs to work elsewhere for a time to get a real chance as an OC/HC. The business world is like that an operational leader needs to see and work at other places to gain experience and perspective.

Joe Philbin hated to do recruiting. OC yes, HC no.

Bob Diaco "Hayden Fry Iowa alum" is working hard as a HC at UCONN. This is his second year and he is doing it with a uphill battle. In two more years he could be a big name that is a HC candidate at a major conference. Jersey native and he is a great recruiter. He just needs a better program and conference to sell to recruits. Two young sons.
diaco131212b015.jpg

If BF goes out and gets another gig...like maybe a MAC HC job and does well...then yes...Do it on his own merit.

Not completely analogous, but I would put Bobby Bowden's sons in the "less than successful" category. If Brian gets a chance to prove himself as OC, great. But imo to promote a relatively unproven O-Line coach without looking at other candidates would be idiotic.

Jimbo Fisher is Bobby Bowden's son? Weird.

BF has the inside track in part because of the preference of a very influential donor. If this season is any indication of BF's influence on the run game, I'm all for it.
SO in a nutshell ... you're saying Brian will get preference because some "money person" likes Brian? Oh, okay ...

Inside track doesn't always mean victory, just means he is a leading candidate. They can still crash and burn and pull a Bobby Petrino.

My guess is that BF will more than likely be our next head coach. He will probably be named OC in the next couple of years and after that co-head coach or something silly like that. And unless Barta can convince Bobby Stoops to come back, BF will probably be the best choice at the time, when you take into account the value of continuity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT