ADVERTISEMENT

AIDS/HIV epidemic vs COVID pandemic

BrunoMars420

HR Legend
Feb 14, 2016
For the people that lived through both, which would you say was a crazier time?

I was having a discussion with a buddy about this and there are parallels but also totally different mindset and outlook on it all.

I was having a discussion with a buddy about this and there are parallels but also totally different mindset and outlook on it all.
I’d say they are similar in the fact that neither has a vaccine to prevent it.
The difference is that you were forced to get a vaccine for one of them.

AIDs was a bit different because we eventually found out what behaviors led to contraction so you could avoid those behaviors. With COVID, you could take steps to avoid it but never could guarantee you would not get it unless you completely isolated yourself. I still have no idea how I never had COVID despite taking less precautions than others who did get it.

AIDs was crazy because people didn't care as it was seen as a gay disease.
In the early days when we thought it was mostly gays and people from Haiti who got it, the running joke was that the hardest part about being diagnosed with AIDS was having to convince your parents that you're Haitian.

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk and h-hawk

Covid By far.

Not even close. AIDS didn't shut down the entire global economy and force us to cancel sporting events and weddings and family gatherings. All you had to do was wear a condom with unfamiliar partners and not use dirty needles.
Sure, once people understood how it spread. But a lot of people died ugly deaths because Reagan ignored it as a gay problem.

AIDs was a bit different because we eventually found out what behaviors led to contraction so you could avoid those behaviors. With COVID, you could take steps to avoid it but never could guarantee you would not get it unless you completely isolated yourself. I still have no idea how I never had COVID despite taking less precautions than others who did get it.
You may have also been an asymptomatic carrier monkey.

Nothing shut down because of Aids. Heterosexuals thought they were immune to it, until they weren't.

Reactions: EasyHawk
AIDS wasn’t even a blip in Central Iowa. It was just thought of as a gay disease or people sharing needles. Most people didn’t change anything. Nobody I know ever knew anyone with it, it was on the news.

The difference for me is I have been inside a decent amount of women, wrapped my willy and haven't got HIV/AIDS.
Unfortunately even though I wrapped my face with protection Covid-19 got inside of me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT