ADVERTISEMENT

air fryers

I just thought that people had a normal convection oven, which is a superior product.
It is, but they heat up instantly so the food gets done faster with less energy then oven. It’s just a short cut to me, plus like others have mentioned the kids can easily use it too.

Reactions: 3boysmom
If your intention is to use it as a replacement for deep frying you will be very disappointed. It's basically just a small high powered convection oven. The thing I like most about it is that it cuts down cooking times substantially, especially when you factor in oven preheat times. It cuts the cook time on things like potato wedges in half. It also makes some really solid chicken wings in about 24-26 minutes. I also use it for roasting certain vegetables like zucchini or yellow squash. It works well for me being a single guy as I don't need to make large portions. I'm also an apartment dweller w/out a balcony so no access to a grill.

I generally find most kitchen appliances pretty gimmicky and useless, but I have been surprised how much I use mine.

Reactions: torbee
So raw brats and not precooked? Very intriguing...
It is actually quite versatile with pre breaded items, pizza, vegetables that have water content and meats with fat. Bobby Flay and I both use and recommend them haha. For Indian cuisine, buy frozen samosas and heat those. Same with egg rolls etc. Even makes kale chips.

Reactions: Tenacious E
We’re Likely going to have to replace ours soon because we use it so much. Favorite things are steak, burgers, chicken, roasting vegetables. More than 50% of our meals are made in the air fryer. And we don’t eat frozen convenience foods very often

I am really skeptical on using it for steak, but I will try it.

It is, but they heat up instantly so the food gets done faster with less energy then oven. It’s just a short cut to me, plus like others have mentioned the kids can easily use it too.

I guess, if your main use is heating up small things, it has it’s advantages.

Last edited:
I am really skeptical on using it for steak, but I will try it.
It works well. Make sure your steak is up to room temperature and seasoned. Put your air fryer on the hottest temp, preheat the chamber for 5 min. Put in your steak. Maintain highest temp. Depending on what you like, check steak after 5 min. Flip. Ribeye or steaks with some fat work better than lean cuts which can dry on you unless injected or brined.

We use ours all the time. Cheese balls, mozzarella sticks, breaded cauliflower, onion rings, etc.

My favorite on it is wings.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Love the air fryer and instant pot. I'd says wings and fries are my favorite in the air fryer.

Pro tip....you can boil a batch of peanuts in the Instant Pot in like 2 hours tops.

Love the air fryer and instant pot. I'd says wings and fries are my favorite in the air fryer.

Pro tip....you can boil a batch of peanuts in the Instant Pot in like 2 hours tops.
I bought a pressure cooker a year or two ago. Used it a couple of times but didn't really think it was anything great at all. With colder weather coming I am willing to give it another try. What is everyone's go to with the pressure cooker other than pork butt/shoulder and other hunks of fatty tough meat that benefit from being cooked to the point they break down becoming tender?

I have a convection oven/air fryer. Thing is freaking awesome and I use it all the time

Use ours all the time. Some of the things we make include:
frozen chicken wings
boneless chicken breast
stuffed chicken
chicken thighs
chicken drummies
Fries
Tots
cheese balls
corn nuggets
homemade calzones
brats
broccoli
Brussel sprouts
baked potato
homemade chips
salmon

It works well. Make sure your steak is up to room temperature and seasoned. Put your air fryer on the hottest temp, preheat the chamber for 5 min. Put in your steak. Maintain highest temp. Depending on what you like, check steak after 5 min. Flip. Ribeye or steaks with some fat work better than lean cuts which can dry on you unless injected or brined.
I cook ribeyes about 9 minutes. I couldn’t believe how good it was.
Okay, given this shitty weather, I am going to try this tonight. I can't believe I am going to cook a steak in such a manner - count me as a skeptic - but I am willing to trying most things once. Also, are we talking thick ribeyes? Trying to gauge the cook time.

Okay, given this shitty weather, I am going to try this tonight. I can't believe I am going to cook a steak in such a manner - count me as a skeptic - but I am willing to trying most things once. Also, are we talking thick ribeyes? Trying to gauge the cook time.
Anythng up to 0.5 inches in the z axis :)

Mine are generally about an inch thick. About an 8oz steak
Ended up doing a tritip which might be my new favorite cut of meat. Parts of it where phenomenal, much better than I anticipated, some parts over cooked. That is the nature of the beast when parts of it are an inch plus thick and parts very thin. Overall a huge success. I do think ribeyes would be the perfect cut with the fat getting charred and rendered, and the uniform thickness of the meat.

Reactions: torbee and 3boysmom
Ended up doing a tritip which might be my new favorite cut of meat. Parts of it where phenomenal, much better than I anticipated, some parts over cooked. That is the nature of the beast when parts of it are an inch plus thick and parts very thin. Overall a huge success. I do think ribeyes would be the perfect cut with the fat getting charred and rendered, and the uniform thickness of the meat.
Yeah, I can see where it would be very difficult with varying thickness. But I'm glad that overall it turned out well. I really love it for quick and easy. No taking the cover off the grill and putting it back on. No flame ups. Easy peasy

OP. Good thread. Thanks.

I have considered buying one but have 2 conventional convection ovens at home and have decent results from those. My main interest in one would be if I could get fried food results without the smell and mess of a fryer. If I can’t I’ll probably pass. And that’s the summary I’ve take. But I was very interested to read others take on this.

As an aside, I was given an instant pot for Xmas a few years ago and have only used it a hand full of times and have found it to really only be helpful at making rice or risotto. Other items are easy to make I just haven’t found the hassle of cleanup, and stuff sticking to the bottom, to be worth the trouble and it has gone the way of our bread maker. Just taking up space in my walk-in pantry. (Not so humble brag)

OP. Good thread. Thanks.

I have considered buying one but have 2 conventional convection ovens at home and have decent results from those. My main interest in one would be if I could get fried food results without the smell and mess of a fryer. If I can’t I’ll probably pass. And that’s the summary I’ve take. But I was very interested to read others take on this.

As an aside, I was given an instant pot for Xmas a few years ago and have only used it a hand full of times and have found it to really only be helpful at making rice or risotto. Other items are easy to make I just haven’t found the hassle of cleanup, and stuff sticking to the bottom, to be worth the trouble and it has gone the way of our bread maker. Just taking up space in my walk-in pantry. (Not so humble brag)
Yeah not the same as fried food but crispy without all the oil. I think the only advantage it would offer is almost immediate heat up and the ability of kids to use it. That and it is very easy to clean up with the non stick surface. I am happy with it but just have a regular oven and not a convection oven. I have the 7 quart version but wish I had 4x the cooking surface. I guess my take is that it was only $99. If you don’t like it no big loss.

Reactions: torbee and haw-key
Using the oven to bake two or three potatoes doesn't make sense. The air fryer does the same job faster and uses far less energy. Avocado slices wrapped in bacon...yum. Great for salmon, too. We use ours a couple of times a week.

OP. Good thread. Thanks.

Very little smell and no smoke. Doesn't stink the house up.

Reactions: haw-key
I bought a pressure cooker a year or two ago. Used it a couple of times but didn't really think it was anything great at all. With colder weather coming I am willing to give it another try. What is everyone's go to with the pressure cooker other than pork butt/shoulder and other hunks of fatty tough meat that benefit from being cooked to the point they break down becoming tender?
Unsoaked dry beans. You can make a huge batch of bean soup in under two hours. First cook unsoaked beans with aromatics (about an hour and change) then release, drain, add other soup ingredients and cook some more.

I haven't tried this but some people make their own yogurt

Most Indian curries benefit from pressure cooking.
I have to tell you, no offense, that I just have never been able to get into Indian cuisine. I love (even if it is Americanized) Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Greek, and I like certain aspects of some cuisines of the middle east. Everything Indian I've had has been mushy and blazing hot. Not fair I know that is like saying I don't like American/Russian because of beef stroganoff, or British food because of shepherd's pie, and I probably just haven't had good Indian food. But, my wife' best friend is Indian and we had a bunch of dishes at her engagement and wedding, and I have tried Indian a few other times through out the years and it is just not great in my book. It's not like I won't eat it but I have not had anything I would intentionally seek out.

I have to tell you, no offense, that I just have never been able to get into Indian cuisine. I love (even if it is Americanized) Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Mexican, Italian, Greek, and I like certain aspects of some cuisines of the middle east. Everything Indian I've had has been mushy and blazing hot. Not fair I know that is like saying I don't like American/Russian because of beef stroganoff, or British food because of shepherd's pie, and I probably just haven't had good Indian food. But, my wife' best friend is Indian and we had a bunch of dishes at her engagement and wedding, and I have tried Indian a few other times through out the years and it is just not great in my book. It's not like I won't eat it but I have not had anything I would intentionally seek out.
I think it’s a love it or hate it type of cuisine.

I love it.

In fact, the very best meal I’ve had in my life was at a high end Indian restaurant in London. I still fantasize about that meal to this day.

I think it’s a love it or hate it type of cuisine.

I love it.

In fact, the very best meal I’ve had in my life was at a high end Indian restaurant in London. I still fantasize about that meal to this day.
What was the dish? Something that good in your estimation is worth considering.

That's your choice and it doesn't offend me. Chances are I dislike many of the dishes you and your ancestors make/made. To each their own :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT